TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Oil Change

rootdoc

At what milage should the first oil & filter change be done. I usually like to do the first one prior to the recommmended interval, but did not know if the GT500 comes from the factory with "break - in" oil in the crankcase.

Thanks

The first one was done at the factory. I did my first at 1800 miles and the second at 5800. Synthetic motor can go 6000 miles, but best to keep it around 4000. I went with Castrol Syntec oil (5W-50) and Fram ToughGuard filter (TG2).

A little tip, the dealer will usually do the first oil change for free, mine did. At $50 to change your oil & filter, it's worth asking. ;)

Cheers,

WP

At what milage should the first oil & filter change be done. I usually like to do the first one prior to the recommmended interval, but did not know if the GT500 comes from the factory with "break - in" oil in the crankcase.

Thanks

Again,

Anyone know if the GT500 comes from the factory with "break-in" oil in the crankcase, or the recommended synthetic oil?

Thanks,

Rick

Again,

Anyone know if the GT500 comes from the factory with "break-in" oil in the crankcase, or the recommended synthetic oil?

Thanks,

Rick

All the motor break-in is done at the factory; when shipped, they have synthetic motor oil in them.

WP

The first one was done at the factory. I did my first at 1800 miles and the second at 5800. Synthetic motor can go 6000 miles, but best to keep it around 4000. I went with Castrol Syntec oil (5W-50) and Fram ToughGuard filter (TG2).

A little tip, the dealer will usually do the first oil change for free, mine did. At $50 to change your oil & filter, it's worth asking. ;)

Cheers,

WP

Good to know WP. Many thanks.

Which Ford dealer will perform oil/filter change on the GT500 for $50? Wonder if they quoted you a 30WSAE oil change? My local dealer wants $92 because the 5W50 oil wholesales for about $8.75/quart.

I heard on a blog on www.StangsUnleashed.com that Castrol makes Motorcraft brand oil, but that Castrol's specs were slightly different from Motorcraft for the GT500. But those are from blogs on the subject, so who knows the actual truth?

Even if you can get the oil for a wholesale price the material cost alone to change the filter and oil has got to be at least $70?

Good to know WP. Many thanks.

Which Ford dealer will perform oil/filter change on the GT500 for $50? Wonder if they quoted you a 30WSAE oil change? My local dealer wants $92 because the 5W50 oil wholesales for about $8.75/quart.

I heard on a blog on www.StangsUnleashed.com that Castrol makes Motorcraft brand oil, but that Castrol's specs were slightly different from Motorcraft for the GT500. But those are from blogs on the subject, so who knows the actual truth?

Even if you can get the oil for a wholesale price the material cost alone to change the filter and oil has got to be at least $70?

I was just taking the $50 number off the top of my head, I figured $6 x 7qts of the Castrol Syntec 5W-50 and another $7 for the Fram ToughGuard filter (#TG-2), plus tax it's around $55.00 PLUS your own labor...

With labor and parts I can see a dealer charging $90+ :blink: to do it...

WP

• 2 weeks later...

I was just taking the $50 number off the top of my head, I figured $6 x 7qts of the Castrol Syntec 5W-50 and another $7 for the Fram ToughGuard filter (#TG-2), plus tax it's around $55.00 PLUS your own labor...

With labor and parts I can see a dealer charging $90+ :blink: to do it...

WP

FWIW

I just purchased the Castrol Syntec 5W-50 at Advanced Auto Parts for about $6/qt., and the correct Motorcraft filter at Wallyworld for about $5.

FWIW

I just purchased the Castrol Syntec 5W-50 at Advanced Auto Parts for about $6/qt., and the correct Motorcraft filter at Wallyworld for about $5.

Carefull removing filter or you will have quite a mess. Oil will hit brace underneath and go in both directions. Plan for having a large catch underneath.

All the motor break-in is done at the factory; when shipped, they have synthetic motor oil in them.

WP

WP, are you sure about that? I have heard that rumor too, but check out this piece.. www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0706_2007_ford_mustang_gt_500_factory/

Carefull removing filter or you will have quite a mess. Oil will hit brace underneath and go in both directions. Plan for having a large catch underneath.

Any suggestions/recomendations on diy oil changes or routine maintenence?

Thanks,

Rick

Any suggestions/recomendations on diy oil changes or routine maintenence?

Thanks,

Rick

I've read some posts that people are drilling small holes in the bottom of their filters and letting them drain slowly to prevent a sudden surge of oil going everywhere. I highly recommend doing the oil changes from a car lift so you can get under it if you have that option. I tried to do my first in my driveway jacking the car up, but never found the buried deep oil filter. I purchased the Castrol Syntec 5W50 @ Wal-Mart for $5.88 a quart and purchased the Motorcraft filter also @ Wal-Mart for $3. If you do take the filter off make sure you have a large container underneath or you will have oil everywhere.

I've read some posts that people are drilling small holes in the bottom of their filters and letting them drain slowly to prevent a sudden surge of oil going everywhere. I highly recommend doing the oil changes from a car lift so you can get under it if you have that option. I tried to do my first in my driveway jacking the car up, but never found the buried deep oil filter. I purchased the Castrol Syntec 5W50 @ Wal-Mart for $5.88 a quart and purchased the Motorcraft filter also @ Wal-Mart for $3. If you do take the filter off make sure you have a large container underneath or you will have oil everywhere.

I did the drilling the filter trick on my '99 F250. The first time I changed the oil I didn't know about it. That filter held 2 qts of oil. Two plus qts of hot oil down your arms gets your attention. Is the filter on the GT500 in an auqward place even with a lift, not that I have a lift?

I did the drilling the filter trick on my '99 F250. The first time I changed the oil I didn't know about it. That filter held 2 qts of oil. Two plus qts of hot oil down your arms gets your attention. Is the filter on the GT500 in an auqward place even with a lift, not that I have a lift?

I was under mine with it up on a lift. I lost a pair of pants I was wearing because oil came out and hit a cross brace under and went everywhere. Next time I'm trying the hole trick with the screwdriver and hammer. I wanted to save the very first oil filter, not to reuse, but to save so I wouldn't had wanted to ruin the first oil filter anyways.

While I was washing my car yesterday i saw my oil filter by looking behind the drivers front tire 10' away from car. I replaced the original light gray with a bright white Motorcraft and can see it clearly now. If you stand away from yours you will see your oil filter and get a good idea where it is.

WP, are you sure about that? I have heard that rumor too, but check out this piece.. www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0706_2007_ford_mustang_gt_500_factory/

Was I 100% sure? Well, no I wasn't...My dealer's service manager is the one that told me that the motors are fully broken in and the oil and filter is changed at the factory B4 shipment.

Just to varify this I called SVT today, 1-800-FORDSVT, and asked them. They told me that all Mustangs are started and run on a chassis dyno at Flat Rock and after this they are given a oil and filter change B4 staging and shipment.

I also asked if all engine break-in was complete B4 shipment and he told me that about 90% of the engine break-in is complete when the car ships from Flat Rock. he said that the piston rings and clutch will need a little road time to fully break-in.

BTW What a great web site you posted, I spent a good hour or more going over all the pictures and descriptions...Thanks for sharing.

WP

Was I 100% sure? Well, no I wasn't...My dealer's service manager is the one that told me that the motors are fully broken in and the oil and filter is changed at the factory B4 shipment.

Just to varify this I called SVT today, 1-800-FORDSVT, and asked them. They told me that all Mustangs are started and run on a chassis dyno at Flat Rock and after this they are given a oil and filter change B4 staging and shipment.

I also asked if all engine break-in was complete B4 shipment and he told me that about 90% of the engine break-in is complete when the car ships from Flat Rock. he said that the piston rings and clutch will need a little road time to fully break-in.

BTW What a great web site you posted, I spent a good hour or more going over all the pictures and descriptions...Thanks for sharing.

WP

It is a great piece. Soon we'll be starting a "Who built your engine?" thread.

It is a great piece. Soon we'll be starting a "Who built your engine?" thread.

And a "What number is your engine" thread. If you noticed in the engine build photos, Jeff and Gary were assembling the 38th GT500 motor...I think??? :D

WP

Archived