TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which radar detector do you use?

With my Shelby just a month away :shift: , I'm considering purchasing a radar detector for the first time in quite a few years, and I'm looking for a little advice. Can you guys help me out? :sos: I hope this topic hasn't been done before - I don't recall seeing it here in the past several weeks. Thanks! :rockon:

With my Shelby just a month away :shift: , I'm considering purchasing a radar detector for the first time in quite a few years, and I'm looking for a little advice. Can you guys help me out? :sos: I hope this topic hasn't been done before - I don't recall seeing it here in the past several weeks. Thanks! :rockon:

I use a Beltronics RX65, for which I paid $245.44 shipped from an Amazon vendor a few months ago. My wife uses my hand-me-downs, in this case a Bel Vector 965. We've used Bel over the years and have no complaints.

As to why the RX65, I just wanted to have the best Bel makes. I don't really notice that much difference between this one and the Vector in my wife's vehicle. Next time I need one, I think I'll keep some money in my pocket and buy another Vector.

Hi Jolly - I bought a Passport Solo (no cord - batteries) about 6 months ago.

I've found I don't need it for my 10 min ride to work.

I paid about $300 for it.

I'll sell it for $125 shipped to you. It's like brand new.

once you get use to the arrows, you'll never go back, valentine one all the way for me :rockon:

\

Been there...done that....believed it until I bought a BEL Pro RX 65. Absolutely NO comparison. Look at the unbiased (read: not in the normal monthly mags) test results. I laughed at the thought of anything but my V1 for many years, but this thing is the real thing. Try one. You'll see.

:shift:

bj

Been there...done that....believed it until I bought a BEL Pro RX 65. Absolutely NO comparison. Look at the unbiased (read: not in the normal monthly mags) test results. I laughed at the thought of anything but my V1 for many years, but this thing is the real thing. Try one. You'll see.

Since you've had both... Does the Bel RX65 "see" behind you as well like the V1?

I still have a hard time believing that any of these will help when lasers are involved. We're talking about the speed of light here! Although we can all agree this 'stang will be fast, it won't be going greater than 670,616,629.4 mph (not without a little modding and tuning :hysterical: ). By the time the detector senses the laser, he's already got the data! Am I right, or do I simply not understand how these laser detectors work?

Since you've had both... Does the Bel RX65 "see" behind you as well like the V1?

I still have a hard time believing that any of these will help when lasers are involved. We're talking about the speed of light here! Although we can all agree this 'stang will be fast, it won't be going greater than 670,616,629.4 mph (not without a little modding and tuning :hysterical: ). By the time the detector senses the laser, he's already got the data! Am I right, or do I simply not understand how these laser detectors work?

Yes, it does. But it doesn't have a rear-facing antenna. It's just picking up the reflected signal from in front of you. The problem with the "arrows" is that the V1 has extremely poor ability to filter out false sensing. Therefore, more often than not, you've got arrows pointing in many directions....at a bank, a Home Depot, etc. Rather than deal with that, I chose a superior unit for what it's supposed to do: sniffing out radar!

If you get a signal and it's not getting any faster, it's either at the same pace and in front of you.....or behind you. If the signal gets stronger as you go under a bridge (or other reflective source), the "bogie" is behind you. Pretty simple and doesn't require arrows.

Now....re laser. Yeah, if Laser goes off, you're hosed. It uses a pinpoint beam on your vehicle, and as opposed to radar, it isn't wrong. Doppler radar is a joke and is beat-able in 95% of court cases. I've beat it twice in the past 18 months by challenging the exact same thing. One was a state trooper and one was a small-town speedtrap, both of which failed to prove "jack" when it came to court. The laser pickup on my V1 was going off all the time due to my auto cruise control. My wife's Infiniti has that, as well as a beam that senses the lines on the road (apparently to wake you up when you're inadvertantly crossing a lane). These beams always made the Laser of the V1 go off. Doesn't do that with the BEL. V1's laser pickup is significantly more powerful than it needs to be...and that causes this.

bj

The problem with the "arrows" is that the V1 has extremely poor ability to filter out false sensing. Therefore, more often than not, you've got arrows pointing in many directions....at a bank, a Home Depot, etc. V1's laser pickup is significantly more powerful than it needs to be...and that causes this.

bj

Were you using the FULL LOGIC mode on th V1? That helps filter out a lot of false signals.

When the Unit is turned on the display will show 1 of 3 modes....

"A" - All modes & super sensitive with No filtering”

“∟”-Minimum filtering of false signals

“L” – Maximum filtering of false signals

To change btw. modes Press & hold the button in for 2 seconds & then release & continue this until you get the desired mode above. I run mine in “L” – Maximum filtering of false signals & it works great & I still know which way the radar or lasers are coming from.

Were you using the FULL LOGIC mode on th V1? That helps filter out a lot of false signals.

When the Unit is turned on the display will show 1 of 3 modes....

"A" - All modes & super sensitive with No filtering”

“∟”-Minimum filtering of false signals

“L” – Maximum filtering of false signals

To change btw. modes Press & hold the button in for 2 seconds & then release & continue this until you get the desired mode above. I run mine in “L” – Maximum filtering of false signals & it works great & I still know which way the radar or lasers are coming from.

Yep...full logic. I lived in Cincy in the early days of Cincinnati Microwave and had a couple of friends that worked there. One of them works for Mike Valentine now. He's the one that turned me on to the BEL. They used them for in-house performance comparisons. They were blown away. They couldn't match the performance on X, K or KA so they used laser and arrows as a claim to fame. Oh...that and "POP" as they now try to keep up with the competition. 90% of law enforcement agencies don't have laser. Also, when you use the max filtering mode on a V1, you reduce overall performance by as much as 35% according to tests I've seen as well as my own experience.

Like I said, I have been a die hard V1 fan until I tried the RX65. I was blown away. To each his/her own. In a car as un-stealthy as a GT500, you need all the help you can get.

bj

Yep...full logic. I lived in Cincy in the early days of Cincinnati Microwave and had a couple of friends that worked there. One of them works for Mike Valentine now. He's the one that turned me on to the BEL. They used them for in-house performance comparisons. They were blown away. They couldn't match the performance on X, K or KA so they used laser and arrows as a claim to fame. Oh...that and "POP" as they now try to keep up with the competition. 90% of law enforcement agencies don't have laser. Also, when you use the max filtering mode on a V1, you reduce overall performance by as much as 35% according to tests I've seen as well as my own experience.

Like I said, I have been a die hard V1 fan until I tried the RX65. I was blown away. To each his/her own. In a car as un-stealthy as a GT500, you need all the help you can get.

bj

Thanks... I'll check it out for my other cars.....never hurts to have more than 1 :shift:

Archived