TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Odometer readings on delivery

Pony Ride

I would be interested to know the miles on the odometers as every one takes delivery. Just away of keeping track of how much driving they do with our cars before we get them. Please post your mileage on this thread.

Mine arrived at the dealership with 11 miles and delivered to me with 12 (dealer final inspection). I'm used to seeing around 8, so my assumption is that there were extra quality control miles put on it. Or, it was hot rodded around for a few miles. However, the car was in prestine shape and no burned rubber on the underbelly. So I assume this is what they're coming with.

I was told by my delivering courtesy delivering dealer on Friday when I went to see an Ebony with Tungsten stripes coupe drive away by the lucky owner who paid twenty - twenty five over msrp.

He wouldn't say how much but "alot" when asked by another guy who came to take pictures.

Anyway the dealer salesman said they have to drive the car five miles during the PDI because the car is pre-programed at the factiory in a way that does not allow the car to perform at max power so the lot jockys can't hurt them.

The car was awesome and yes the car did have the shaker 1000 and the truck room was limited I didn't take any pictures except when it first came off the truck

post-2928-1153076408_thumb.jpg

I was told by my delivering courtesy delivering dealer on Friday when I went to see an Ebony with Tungsten stripes coupe drive away by the lucky owner who paid twenty - twenty five over msrp.

He wouldn't say how much but "alot" when asked by another guy who came to take pictures.

Anyway the dealer salesman said they have to drive the car five miles during the PDI because the car is pre-programed at the factiory in a way that does not allow the car to perform at max power so the lot jockys can't hurt them.

The car was awesome and yes the car did have the shaker 1000 and the truck room was limited I didn't take any pictures except when it first came off the truck

I don't know why everyone is getting caught up in the trunk room issue. The SN94 had a smaller trunk and i think the Shaker 1000 sub is worth the loss of room. I have it in my 05 GT and I think its is one of the best factory radios I've ever had.

Just my opinion

I don't know why everyone is getting caught up in the trunk room issue. The SN94 had a smaller trunk and i think the Shaker 1000 sub is worth the loss of room. I have it in my 05 GT and I think its is one of the best factory radios I've ever had.

Just my opinion

Based on my experience with the Shaker 1000 in my '05 Mustang GT, I share your opinion Kwsmith! Who needs a back seat AND a trunk in a car like this? :doh:

Most new Fords arrive at our dealership with 3-10 miles on the odometer. It's unusual to see less than a 3 miles on the odometer. The PDI (pre-delivery-inspection) for all new Fords requires that the car be driven long enough to warm up all fluids, so our dealership has a 4-mile loop that the technician drives each car for PDI. Also, we deliver each new car with a full tank of gas. The round trip to the gas station is 1 mile. This means that a normal new car here has 8-15 miles on it when the customer takes delivery.

Also, some cars are randomly selected at the factory for additional quality control checks that get driven a few dozen miles. Those cars arrive with an additional window sticker (about 4x5 inches, or so) documenting the extra miles.

all these additional quality control & PDI miles pretty much defeat the purpose of the so called initial 'valet tune'

Not unless they start and stop it 50 times going around that 4 mile loop. Remember, it's 50 start cycles or 5 CONTINUOUS miles. Not likely to happen before it gets to the dealership. And, wouldn't you rather your service manager be right there when the "bell tolls"? I would. I don't want to close on the deal until I see 5+ miles on it and I think it feels/looks/sounds right.

All the valet tune does is govern the rpms to 4,000 or below. It's not like you're gonna beat it at 5 miles, but I WILL run it up past 4 grand to make sure it will do so before I finish the deal and drive off.

:shift:

bj

so you are saying that out of the 12 to 16 or so miles already clocked on the odometer, that there wasn't a 5 mile contiguous drive? Ah, come on now...

:shift:

I'mjust saying it's not necessarily the case.

bj

We need to here about the driving impression. Braking, cornering, acceleration, the looks you get, the questions you get asked, HOW MANY WOMEN WANT YOU :hysterical: that kind of stuff :doh:

Ok! Braking is fantastic, cornering a dream, plenty of head turning, and, my wife may tune in so I'll say...

:happy feet:

LMAO :hysterical:

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jul 19 2006, 11:17 AM) 27858[/snapback]

Most new Fords arrive at our dealership with 3-10 miles on the odometer. It's unusual to see less than a 3 miles on the odometer. The PDI (pre-delivery-inspection) for all new Fords requires that the car be driven long enough to warm up all fluids, so our dealership has a 4-mile loop that the technician drives each car for PDI. Also, we deliver each new car with a full tank of gas. The round trip to the gas station is 1 mile. This means that a normal new car here has 8-15 miles on it when the customer takes delivery.

Also, some cars are randomly selected at the factory for additional quality control checks that get driven a few dozen miles. Those cars arrive with an additional window sticker (about 4x5 inches, or so) documenting the extra miles.

Great Info Five Oh, thanks again. A few questions.

1) Regarding the PDI, is there any way to put a pdf file on the site here of what all is done during the PDI? 2) Is the sheet the same for all makes, or would the GT500 have it's own unique PDI sheet?

3) If a customer requested that you NOT drive the vehicle, would your dealership honor this? Would Ford have any issue with this since you didn't "warm the fluids"?

Thanks,

Dave

Am I drunk, or is this pic blurrier than one taken by someone more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs? :hysterical:

Dave

3) If a customer requested that you NOT drive the vehicle, would your dealership honor this? Would Ford have any issue with this since you didn't "warm the fluids"?

My dealer / owner is promising just that. He said they will back it off the truck and park it inside until I get there to do PDI with them. No plastic pulled off, no washing, nothing! I also have the option (if my work schedule allows it) to pick the car up at the rail yard 2 hours away and trailer it to the dealer to save time. I really want to pick it up at the rail yard if time allows.

Great Info Five Oh, thanks again. A few questions.

1) Regarding the PDI, is there any way to put a pdf file on the site here of what all is done during the PDI? 2) Is the sheet the same for all makes, or would the GT500 have it's own unique PDI sheet?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I work on the sales side of the business, so I don't know all the specifics of PDI'ing. I have spoken with our SVT tech enough over the years to have a sense of what's happening, though. I don't have a .pdf file to share. I believe each car has the same PDI sheet.

With regards to your last question, I believe Ford mandates a PDI be done to properly endorse the factory warranty. Why? Imagine if a PDI was not done (customer's request of otherwise) and the customer took the car home and siezed the engine because nobody checked fluid levels first and the oil pan was empty. Or a wheel fell off because nobody checked lug nut torque. Or, any number of minor issues that could have been adjusted if a PDI was performed was never discovered by a PDI tech and it meant the customer had to bring the car back in for additional shop time that could have been avoided. Get the drift? By not performing a PDI, the dealership is putting Ford at risk for warranty problems that could have easily been avoided with a thorough PDI.

If someone at my dealer is hell-bent on taking my Shelby for a joy ride when it gets in, what am I going to do about it? Nothing. Is asking them to keep it all locked up for me and not breath on it let alone touch it really going to change anything? I doubt it. My dealer can do what he needs to do to get it ready for me, and I'll trust him to do the right thing - and it will probaby work out just fine. This is one thing that is beyond my control, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Our first GT500 arrived last week. I was there when it was backed off the convoy truck and had a camera handy. Odometer read 45 miles and there was NO sticker from the factory indicating a quality control test drive so where the heck did the extra miles happen? The railroad? The convoy company? Ford executive?

post-2549-1154806633_thumb.jpg post-2549-1154806726_thumb.jpg post-2549-1154806674_thumb.jpg

Our GT500 looked really dirty in the pics above as it had just been unloaded from the convoy truck, so here's what it looks like cleaned up. It is Torch Red with the Satin Silver stripes (not white like everyone else), and it has the charcoal/crimson interior. The customer picked it up yesterday and had the biggest smile you could imagine on his face! Even his wife was mighty giddy about it!

post-2549-1154806936_thumb.jpg post-2549-1154806961_thumb.jpg post-2549-1154806987_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1154806633_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1154806674_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1154806726_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1154806936_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1154806961_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1154806987_thumb.jpg

Archived