TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can you please rip this guy a new one???

1965coupe

Please... I've tried to make him realize how special Shelby Mustangs are... He won't give up..

His username is V. Barbarino..

My username is 1965coupe..

Mods: feel free to delete this if you need to.. I just cannot stand having people like this showing extreme jealousy and ignorance..

LINK:

Click here

Let him go...he'll always be himself, poor fellow. As for him "building his own Shelby" ... well, it may LOOK like a Shelby, but I'd like to see him try to sell it as a Shelby and see how far he gets. He would (should, unless he's a liar) have to tell people its a clone, then once he does that he would get $ thousands less for the car. So, he should add that value to his calculations as well.

His logic "smacks" at the word jealousy!!! :D He doesn't have one and isn't on our forum, because he just doesn't get it. WE have the real deal and it can't be built by putting together a bunch of parts. It's the total experience that brings us together. You should just drop him like yesterdays news... :rolleyes:

Gary (read my signature) A VERY PROUD OWNER of a Shelby GT!!!

Its all about what you're into... If this guy wants to mod a mustang, The Shelby GT is not the way to go. Think about it why spend 38K on a BASE MODEL SGT and it comes with VERY MINOR BOLT-ONS when you can spend 26K on a BASE MODEL Mustang GT and put about 5-7K in it and you should be able to walk a GT500. If this person wanted a shelby that person would have one. Although he does bring up some good points, there is alot of cars out there that are faster then the Shelby GT for around the price of a Shelby GT, I understand that there are faster cars out there then my SGT. For example my sons Evolution 8 is faster then my car and his car was 10K less then mine! I did not buy the SGT for its performance I bought it for the name SHELBY.

Please... I've tried to make him realize how special Shelby Mustangs are... He won't give up..

His username is V. Barbarino..

My username is 1965coupe..

Mods: feel free to delete this if you need to.. I just cannot stand having people like this showing extreme jealousy and ignorance..

LINK:

Click here

Meh....

A Shelby is a Shelby.

A clone is a clone.

An idiot is an idiot.

Let him spout off and in 10 years have him put his clone beside my Shelby and see whats worth more. Sure a Shelby is $8 to $10k more than a standard GT (depending on the dealer you use) but I'll get my money back eventually.

By his logic I could throw all the "Shelby" parts on my Jeep and have a Jeep Shelby Unlimited. Wait, that's actually kinda cool.....

I agree but I think the Arguement here is... Why spend 38K to get a Mustang that has barely any mods (Open filter, Calibration, Mufflers, and Short shifter) when someone can spend 26K on a base model Mustang and spend what they would have saved on mods.

Most of us here bought our cars because we will never be able to afford an older Shelby and this is as close as we will come to owning one, Not to be the fastest out there.

Also - whats really nice for me is that a Shelby GT - along with the significance of its name - is already "pre-modded". By that, I mean, it already has things done to it that I would have wanted to do, but if I had purchased a regular GT, realistically, I probably would have never gotten around to (or gotten permission from my "boss" to) adding the mods such as the CAI, exhaust, hurst shifter, etc.

Now I own and instant classic that has all the goodies I would have wanted...and that's a great thing.

I agree but I think the Arguement here is... Why spend 38K to get a Mustang that has barely any mods (Open filter, Calibration, Mufflers, and Short shifter) when someone can spend 26K on a base model Mustang and spend what they would have saved on mods.

OK....

1. It's a true Shelby not a knock off. It has nostalgic and collector purposes as well as sentimental value to the older crowd.

2. It was not a base model Mustang. It was either a GT or Premium to start then modded by Ford and then Shelby.

3. It's signed from the factory. Clones are not and will never be.

4. It's a numbered and limited production. Clones are not - well I guess in a sense they are.

5. Barely any mods?....Everyone seems to forget the suspension mods ordered from the factory even when they are told about them. Sure it's not a dragster tearing up the quarter mile at 10 seconds but it was never meant to be. The general consensus is the haters say Shelby just puts on an intake and exhaust and charges 8 grand. Wrong....

6. What will Joe Blow's custom built Shelby clone be worth when it comes down to it? A Shelby carries weight. A Joe Blow carries upside down on his next trade-in.

5. I could go on and on.....

Buy a Mustang and put whatever you want on it. If the true Shelby name means nothing to someone then it is a waste for them. Those of us who know better have the real thing. It's all about point of view and frankly I think his uneducated P.O.V. is coming straight out of his brown eye....

Frankly the "I could buy a Mustang and put all that stuff on it for far less" is about the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. If that is what he wants to do then he does not want a Shelby but a modded Mustang (people get those two things mixed up for some reason) and therefore has no worthwhile opinion or argument as far as I'm concerned. It's also a ploy because he can't afford/get one most likely and I'm sure if you asked him he would come up with some wild story about how he could buy 4 if he wanted. Let him buy one and I bet his whole opinion will change.

A Shelby is a whole other breed of car than a modded Mustang.

I wonder if they had this argument back in the 60's when Shelby took a "secretary's car" (his words not mine) and slapped on a few little things?

I'm fully aware of what MY SHELBY has engine, drivetrain, and suspension wise, I was just naming a few things...

To answer what you're saying number by number...

1. I'm aware of the value the SGT's will have over the clones later on in the future, I will never be able to afford the older ones so this was the next best thing

2. I don't know what you're trying to imply here but, If you are thinking I ment a V6 good luck trying to find a base model six cylinder for 26K, let me be more specific... base model Mustang GT

3. I know thats why they are called clones

4. see above

5. yes I said barely any mods, those mods are nothing when it comes to modding a car

6. yes I agree, a clone will never be worth what a true shelby will be worth

7. so could I...

I guess when it comes down to it, we are all agruing about opinions on what someone should do to their car, If the person on stangnet thinks that buying a SGT is a waste of money that is his opinion, and if he can put together a clone for less, let him.

First, i agree, let it go, thoise who dont get it, dont get it.

On building your own, thats easy to say now, the great thing on the Shelby Gt is Balance, we oput all the kits together, Ford Racing had these parts, but Our engineers and FR put the combo together to make this car special, so they can say, its nothing special, but those of you who bought one know how special it is. On top of that is is a shelby, built in las vegas, I would say that's pretty special too.

let it go, love the car, smile to those who all nod to you on the road.

Amy

Oh, I should say I wasn't getting uppity with you Santa so don't think I was. It's hard to show emotion in a 2D typeface world and we have so few emoticons to choose from.....

I really couldn't care less what someone says about the SGT. I'm just bored at work.... :rolleyes:

BTW - nice to see you back cruising the board Amy even though I have never officially even talked to you...

ROTFLMAO. People like this ALWAYS mock everything because they can't afford to buy anything. They are the people who say a $million dollars is nothing any more, Well if it is nothing then go make it or save it, they can do neither. They live their lives that way always whining about things they, shoulda-coulda-woulda done but never do.

Let him go cry in his "cloned" beer!

My screen name over there is Machn. The only reason he started that thread is because i posted a thread on selling my Mach and ordering a Shelby GT. He started running Shelby's down and everybody dissagreed with him. I'd venture to say he couldn't pay sales tax on one. ;)

I'm with you guys-my dream car has always been a Shelby, I'm finally patiently waiting for my dream to come true (my first payment is due next week and no SGT yet! :( ). In my personal mustang world, the Shelby has always been and always will be the cream of the crop-forget Jack Rousch, forget Steve Saleen, they wish they were Carroll Shelby. I always wanted a 67-70 Shelby and I could have gotten ahold of a 68 GT350 for $12k when I got out of college, but had just bought a new car and moved out on my own and just couldn't swing it at the time-I've kicked myself ever since(especially with what they go for today)!!!!! There's absolutely no way i could swing (or justify with the wife) $100k for a vintage Shelby, I now am finally waiting to get MY SHELBY and couldn't be more excited-who cares if it's not the fastest thing out there, I'm finally getting smart enough to realize troopers get upset if you're going that much over the speed limit! And I'm finally realizing one of my dreams.

Amy,

I really liked your to the point rebuttal. Made me think of another similar saying.

"To those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't no proof will matter."

One thing I have always admired, about Mr. Shelby, is how he doesn't discourage clones. I have seen untold knockoffs on ebay with his signature on the dash. Even now he will sell the "few mods" that these shade tree mechanics need to copy this latest feat.

I have always heard that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Let me just add that your taking on this role is what many would consider a dream job, count me as one of those, but it is a job and there are/will be risks, it took a great deal of courage to do what you are doing, and your passion for the product shows. I wish you all the luck in the world.

One last trite saying.

"Quality and craftsmanship will be remembered long after price is forgotten"

One thing I have always admired, about Mr. Shelby, is how he doesn't discourage clones. I have seen untold knockoffs on ebay with his signature on the dash. Even now he will sell the "few mods" that these shade tree mechanics need to copy this latest feat.

I don't think so. I have heard interviews and read reports where he did NOT like people cloning his work but eventually just came to accept it.

As far as getting his signature, a $200 donation and I could have it on my lawnmower. It's not hard to get and personally that bothers me. I know it's for a good cause, his childrens charity but still.

I must say personally that the signature on anything for $$ doesnt bother me. From a collectors standpoint if I were doing it to make money down the road Id probably not be happy but I dont view it as such. I think he does a great job supporting a charity and he could care less about how collectible it is. Its like when people trash Bill and Melinda gates for giving billions to charity. I hear people say "whats the big deal about giving 20 billion to charity he has tons of money". Well its still billions and more than anyone in history has given, except the recent gift by Warren Buffet. They are doing soomething most people dont or wouldnt do and it is terrific. I am not giving you a hard time Stump btw, just telling my feelings on the charity thing :)

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way am trashing the charity thing and I am probably going to make a donation in the near future. Please don't misconstrue what I said as I think it's fantastic and if you ever read/hear the story about how and why he founded it, you almost tear up a little.

When he was in the hospital for a kidney (? I think kidney anyway - I think his heart situation was taken care of by this time) two children on either side of him died while waiting on a transplant. He prayed to God that if he pulled him through this situation he would make sure those children would be remembered. That is when he started the foundation. Of course the story I read had more detail but that is the jist. I know he does tons of work in 3rd world countries as well. Carroll Shelby is a great man and will always be remembered as such. He is much more than a car....

I was just commenting on how easily his signature can be obtained but only, as you said, from a collectability standpoint. That is how clones can get a CS sig and then the not-so-learned public can be tricked. Perhaps I should have went into more detail.

I am in NO way was putting down the man or his accomplishments. I have great respect for him and it would thrill me to shake his hand. This is another reason I am so proud to own one of his cars. He is more than a guy trying to make a buck. I hope to achieve that level of charitableness one day.

I don't think so. I have heard interviews and read reports where he did NOT like people cloning his work but eventually just came to accept it.

I think you need to read a little more closely what I posted. I said he doesn't discourage people cloning his work. By that I meant he sells materials, mods, to those who are putting together the cars. I was not making a comment on whether he liked it or not my observation was more to the point of he was not actively going after these people ala Metallica vs. Napster. My point was further that he will sell all the mods someone like the aformentioned V. Barbarino the parts to create his "clone" he feels will be on par with an original. Which I know it won't.

As far as getting his signature, a $200 donation and I could have it on my lawnmower. It's not hard to get and personally that bothers me. I know it's for a good cause, his childrens charity but still.

As far this comment I find it a bit coarse considering the name on the website.

"I think you need to read a little more closely what I posted. I said he doesn't discourage people cloning his work. By that I meant he sells materials, mods, to those who are putting together the cars. I was not making a comment on whether he liked it or not my observation was more to the point of he was not actively going after these people ala Metallica vs. Napster. My point was further that he will sell all the mods someone like the aformentioned V. Barbarino the parts to create his "clone" he feels will be on par with an original. Which I know it won't."

Well, I guess you thought I was stepping on your toes which I was not but to counter your statement - "The claims in their Shelby case against me and subsequent press release that I was offering ‘knock-offs’ blatantly disregards the license I received from Shelby to produce these cars and related products." He sounds real encourged to me...

This is as late as 2006.

Link to countersuit

"As far this comment I find it a bit coarse considering the name on the website."

My justification for being here is sitting in the driveway. You want to talk about name? On page 16 of Mustangs Unlimited catalog LM31 you can have a signed Carroll Shelby aluminum plate with a peel off adhesive strip for as low as $10.95 ea!

Tell you what, just order it straight from their website. You can even have it personally engraved! clicky clicky

I just LOVE the description underneath.

Now, go back up one or two posts and see my clarification to the "name" statement.

BTW, welcome to the forum..... :D

I think you need to read a little more closely what I posted. I said he doesn't discourage people cloning his work. By that I meant he sells materials, mods, to those who are putting together the cars. I was not making a comment on whether he liked it or not my observation was more to the point of he was not actively going after these people ala Metallica vs. Napster. My point was further that he will sell all the mods someone like the aformentioned V. Barbarino the parts to create his "clone" he feels will be on par with an original. Which I know it won't.

As far this comment I find it a bit coarse considering the name on the website.

RM- Are you tring to buy or make a clone like Vinni B.? If so be my guest, have at it, after you, its your dime don't waste it.... B)

"I think you need to read a little more closely what I posted. I said he doesn't discourage people cloning his work. By that I meant he sells materials, mods, to those who are putting together the cars. I was not making a comment on whether he liked it or not my observation was more to the point of he was not actively going after these people ala Metallica vs. Napster. My point was further that he will sell all the mods someone like the aformentioned V. Barbarino the parts to create his "clone" he feels will be on par with an original. Which I know it won't."

Well, I guess you thought I was stepping on your toes which I was not but to counter your statement - "The claims in their Shelby case against me and subsequent press release that I was offering ‘knock-offs’ blatantly disregards the license I received from Shelby to produce these cars and related products." He sounds real encourged to me...

This is as late as 2006.

Link to countersuit

"As far this comment I find it a bit coarse considering the name on the website."

My justification for being here is sitting in the driveway. You want to talk about name? On page 16 of Mustangs Unlimited catalog LM31 you can have a signed Carroll Shelby aluminum plate with a peel off adhesive strip for as low as $10.95 ea!

Tell you what, just order it straight from their website. You can even have it personally engraved! clicky clicky

I just LOVE the description underneath.

Now, go back up one or two posts and see my clarification to the "name" statement.

BTW, welcome to the forum..... :D

This is getting misconstrued. I said nothing about justification who should be or shouldn't be on the website. I was pointing out that the website is named Shelby. Talking about signing a lawnmover I felt was disrespectful. I don't harbor any ill feelings about it. So, relax.

RM- Are you tring to buy or make a clone like Vinni B.? If so be my guest, have at it, after you, its your dime don't waste it.... B)

In reality I haven't posted on websites very often. I was lurking here for a while and it seemed very entertaining. I can't fathom how my post supports cloning. It was just the opposite. I said that people feel a clone will be just a good as the original to which I said:

My point was further that he will sell all the mods someone like the aformentioned V. Barbarino the parts to create his "clone" he feels will be on par with an original. Which I know it won't.

Probably not very clear. I felt it was when I wrote it. I don't see how a clone can compare with an original. If I do buy one, which I want to see what goes on with the ADM, and if I can find a dealership that even knows what an SGT is, it will be near the end of the model year or maybe dead of winter.

Look I was trying to support the guy who started this thread. No mas, ok. I am not looking split hairs on every point I make.

• 2 weeks later...

My screen name over there is Machn. The only reason he started that thread is because i posted a thread on selling my Mach and ordering a Shelby GT. He started running Shelby's down and everybody dissagreed with him. I'd venture to say he couldn't pay sales tax on one. ;)

It's funny. I've read V.B's post on the other forum also. These guys all seemed to jump on the run down the SGT band wagon, then turn around and start the "Who's going to turn their GT into a Shelby" thread.

All the while failing to realize that no matter what they do it will never be. They can call it a Smith, a Jones, or even a Barbarino if they want. But they can never call it a Shelby.

I build motorcycles.

I can buy all the v-twin engines I want. But the end product will never be a Harley-Davidson.

I don't know the demographic on the other fourm(s) but I gather from the way they freely toss around

the term "rice" there are a lot of young and immature members with a lot of growing up to do.

Yet to realize that quick ET's & "Fast & Furious" isn't all there is to owning a nice car.

Pure, driving pleasure...

It's funny. I've read V.B's post on the other forum also. These guys all seemed to jump on the run down the SGT band wagon, then turn around and start the "Who's going to turn their GT into a Shelby" thread.

All the while failing to realize that no matter what they do it will never be. They can call it a Smith, a Jones, or even a Barbarino if they want. But they can never call it a Shelby.

I build motorcycles.

I can buy all the v-twin engines I want. But the end product will never be a Harley-Davidson.

I don't know the demographic on the other fourm(s) but I gather from the way they freely toss around

the term "rice" there are a lot of young and immature members with a lot of growing up to do.

Yet to realize that quick ET's & "Fast & Furious" isn't all there is to owning a nice car.

Pure, driving pleasure...

That sums it up in a nut shell..........pure, driving pleasure...............

Archived