TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Private Buyers - What did you pay

If you purchased an 07 GT 500 or negotiated a purchase of an 08 GT 500, would you mind sharing with the rest of the forum members how much you had to pay and if you bought from a local dealer or hand to go through e-bay or another website.

I think this would be helpful to those of use trying to figure out a reasonable price on the limited number of vehicles that are going to be produced this year (2008).

How many months did you finance also would be helpful. Did you buy as an investment or simply for the fun and experience of owning a Shelby.

Thanks, GG

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good question GG, i hope everyone is honest with you. if you would like to know about the 3 that we sold i will tell you if not i will leave this only to private owners.

michael

Micheal,

I would like to know and if they traded cars, watch for coffee cup this week.........

GG

If you purchased an 07 GT 500 or negotiated a purchase of an 08 GT 500, would you mind sharing with the rest of the forum members how much you had to pay and if you bought from a local dealer or hand to go through e-bay or another website.

I think this would be helpful to those of use trying to figure out a reasonable price on the limited number of vehicles that are going to be produced this year (2008).

How many months did you finance also would be helpful. Did you buy as an investment or simply for the fun and experience of owning a Shelby.

Thanks, GG

I purchased an 07 from a dealer, paid 15K over MSRP. I was lucky, one of my NCOs knew that I had been looking for one, had already been out bid on eBay twice. Anyway, he was at the local Ford dealer buying a new truck when they delivered the GT500. He immediately called me. This dealer had not taken names, made a list or taken deposits from anyone. It was first come first serve. I bought it that day, no haggling. Pic is attached. I am more than pleased with my purchase.

I bought it for the fun and experience of owning a Shelby. My first car was a 65 Mustang, which I still own. Always wanted a Shelby and this was my chance. Best purchase I have ever made.

Micheal,

I would like to know and if they traded cars, watch for coffee cup this week.........

GG

they all sold on ebay, 2 at 15k, 1 at 12k. no trades. they went to OK, NY and TX. i know the first car went to a collection. i dont know if the other 2 were going to be driven or put up.

and thanks ill be looking for it.

michael

So far the cars I have Sold:

1st Blue Conv $18K over last Sept to Customer F.G. (I bought from dealer in MI at $15 over) going to SAI. for 40th Aniv Pkg & Super Snake Performance upgrades.

2nd Orange Conv $15K over

3rd White Coupe $15K over (I bought for 13k over)

4th Alloy Coupe $15K over

5th Red Coupe $15k over (I bought for 11k over)

6th Red Coupe, Sold to another dealer (I got sale-RDR) $11k over PLUS they took 5 2005 F150's old Inventory.

7th Black Coupe 15k over to Customer R.O. Has upgrades to more than 625-hp (I bought for 12.5k over)

8th White Conv. 15k over to F.G. (2nd Shelby for wife) added over-the-top Blue Strips.

9th Tungsten Conv $15k over to R.O. (2nd Shelby for Wife)

10th White coupe $14k over (I bought for 10k over)

11th Alloy coupe 14k over to dealer in Northwest (I bought for 12k over)

12th Tungsten Conv 14k over

13th White Conv. $10k over (3rd car to F.G.) going to SAI for 40th Aniv Pkg & Super Snake Perf upgrades.

14th White Coupe (Available) Going to SAI for Super Snake Pkg............

...Anybody have 1 at MSRP that I can buy for myself..........PLEASE! If you do, or you know where 1 is.....call randy 303 584-6623

No trades on any of my cars.

most of my deals were $16-35k down and 60 months,

2 dealers were cash

+ 3 out-right cash sales

I purchased an 07 from a dealer, paid 15K over MSRP. I was lucky, one of my NCOs knew that I had been looking for one, had already been out bid on eBay twice. Anyway, he was at the local Ford dealer buying a new truck when they delivered the GT500. He immediately called me. This dealer had not taken names, made a list or taken deposits from anyone. It was first come first serve. I bought it that day, no haggling. Pic is attached. I am more than pleased with my purchase.

I bought it for the fun and experience of owning a Shelby. My first car was a 65 Mustang, which I still own. Always wanted a Shelby and this was my chance. Best purchase I have ever made.

gldnegle

WELCOME!! & CONGRATS on your GT500 purchase.

randy

Thanks, GG

HI THERE ORDERED 5-2-07 SMALL DELEAERSHIP 10000.00 DEPOSIT IN 2006 AND CONTRACT FOR MSRP.

I paid $14,200 and got an OEM Cobra car cover as part of the deal. I looked for six months. On the list to go to SAI for 40th Anniversary with the SS performance upgrade. I bought it for recreational pleasure, i.e., driving, showing, owning part of history, a Shelby. Nice weather, limited miles only.

Ordered on 6/15/06 a black GT500 with Tungsten side stripes, top stripes delete option, Shaker 500, interior upgrade option; recieved the car on 8/23/06. I paid $12,500 over MSRP, it was $62,226 out the door with a OEM Cobra car cover and a trunk cargo net. I bought it from my home town dealer, Broadway Ford in Oakland, CA; Larry Smith was my salesman, he's a great guy to deal with and kept me in the loop from start to finish.

He's no garage gueen, the GT500 that is; I bought it to drive and have over 6,300 miles on him to date.

640 HP at the flywheel/ 558 RWHP/ 540 RWTQ

Cheers,

WP

Thanks, GG

I paid approx $11.5K over sticker via an ebay auction. I am in Chicago area, but purchased the car from a Kentucky dealer. I can tell you the drive home was an absolute blast! I purchased the car to add to my growing Shelby collection. I intend to add the 40th anniversery package as it will be a nice bookend to the '67 GT500 I have. I do plan to drive the 2007 on good weather days, so that I can enjoy the car too.

I started trying to get on a list to purchase in March of 2005 after the GT500 show car came out and Ford announced it would go into production. I got on a list with a Ford Dealer in Hayward, California and Santa Rosa in June 2005. The following year in about spring time the Hayward dealer said he wanted at least $25,000 over MSRP. Too expensive for me so I kept looking. The Sacramento dealer actually had a $109,000 asking price on a GT500 in their show room.

I kept in constant contact with the Santa Rosa, CA dealer fleet manager, but he would never call me back. I believe they finally got a GT500 and sold it to someone else, or the owners buddy? Who knows? I talked to Reno and Carson City, Fallon and Winnemucca Nevada Ford dealers, but they would not sell for a reasonable price, or were keeping them for themselves.

I talked to Auburn, Susanville, Sacramento, Fremont, Grass Valley, Gridley, Petaluma, Calexico, Watsonville, Quincy, Sonoma and many, many others in California in spring 2006, but they all claimed they knew nothing, or said I could get on their purchase lists, or wanted around $25,000 over MSRP. :blink:

I proceeded to call dealers in Oregon, Washington, Montana, Colorado, Alaska, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska and a few other states as well. I got on a few lists. I put down a deposit, but decided to get it back. Finally in October 2006 one of the out-of-state dealers called me back. They were only about 600 miles away and would sell it to me for $3k over sticker. I spent a lot of time on eBay looking at the GT500 sales and participating in some of the auctions and so I knew that this was an outstanding offer, plus I got to order exactly what I wanted.

I ordered a performance white, blue stripe, coupe, shaker 1000, interior trim package and satellite radio. It took almost six months to get it and it was very difficult waiting that long. I have driven the Hertz Shelby a couple of times and the GT500 is even better, although I do like the Hertz exhaust much better. Eagerly anticipating the Super Snake Package like many owners are now with the improvements that will make this car very complete. But I do like it very much the way it is. I ordered an 86' Mustang from the factory years ago. It was a lot of fun, but the GT500 is of course an unparalleled beast.

I drive the car for recreation, usually on weekends and for showing off. I drive a company car during the week so the Shelby is not an every day driver. Ever since high school I thought the 67 and 68 GT500 with the 428 cobra jet was about the coolest muscle car ever built. Never thought I could actually own one. So this is a surprise dream come true. I believe with modern technology, ergonomics and comfort the new generation Shelby Mustangs are the best of the best produced to date. The 60's Shelby Mustangs had their own outstanding style, but the performance is even better now.

I am looking forward to driving it at Sears Point, Laguna Seca and other road tracks. I am sure the modification packages will make it even more fun. I hope they are available to little nobodies like me and not priced out of existence. :)

I proceeded to call dealers in Oregon, Washington, Montana, Colorado, Alaska, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska and a few other states as well. I got on a few lists. I put down a deposit, but decided to get back. Finally in October 2006 one of the out-of-state dealers called me back. They were only about 600 miles away and would sell it to me for $3k over sticker. I spent a lot of time on eBay looking at the GT500 sales and participating in some of the auctions and so I knew that this was an outstanding offer, plus I got to order exactly what I wanted.

How did you get your new out of state car registered in California, I'm assuming from your post that you live in California? Didn't you run into the 5000 mile rule when registering it with Cal DMV? <_<

WP

How did you get your new out of state car registered in California, I'm assuming from your post that you live in California? Didn't you run into the 5000 mile rule when registering it with Cal DMV? <_<

WP

I live in Nevada, but it's not much of a problem to buy a new car from out of state and register it here. I hired a vehicle transport for $400 to pick it up and deliver it to my door. If you hire a transport make sure you tell the car dealer staff to note the mileage on the transport manifest so someone doesn't take it on a joy ride.

Sometimes you have to fill out paper work to avoid out-of-state sales tax. Then when you register the vehicle you pay the tax along with the registration fees. In Nevada if you buy a pre-registered car you pay no sales tax.

I didn't know it was a problem to buy a new vehicle from out-of-state and bring it into California as long as it has California Emissions. My uncle, who lives in Cali, bought his GT500 from an Arizona dealer without any problems. Although it was previously registered, but he paid sticker.

What is the Cali 5,000 mile rule? What kind of mods do you have on your GT500? What are your trap times?

I live in Nevada, but it's not much of a problem to buy a new car from out of state and register it here. I hired a vehicle transport for $400 to pick it up and deliver it to my door. If you hire a transport make sure you tell the car dealer staff to notes the mileage on the transport manifest so someone doesn't take it on a joy ride.

Sometimes you have to fill out paper work to avoid out-of-state sales tax. Then when you register the vehicle you pay the tax along with the registration fees. In Nevada if you buy a pre-registered car you pay no sales tax.

I didn't know it was a problem to buy a new vehicle from out-of-state and bring it into California as long as it has California Emissions. My uncle, who lives in Cali, bought his GT500 from an Arizona dealer without any problems. Although it was previously registered, but he paid sticker.

What is the Cali 5,000 mile rule? What kind of mods do you have on your GT500? What are your trap times?

I just looked it up at the Kalifornia DMV's web site, it's actually 7500 miles.

Here in Kalifornia us "residents" :o cannot buy a new car out-of-state if it's not Kalif. smog certified.

This is from the Kalif. DMV web site, "50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents." "California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California."

AHHHHH, the price we pay, and the freedoms we give up to live in paradise...

For a list of my mods and pictures, check out my profile page at My Mustang Site http://www.mymustangsite.com/WP/

Cheers,

WP

Thanks, GG

Guest dougxbr

I have a similar story to Lucky - except on the East Coast (Mass). I called around after orders were being taken, and most dealers here wanted high premiums and had long lists. I monitored ebay, called dealers across the country - and finally found one in Ohio willing to deal. I paid $15K over sticker for a Performance White/Vista Blue striped Shelby. Best purchase I ever made - and have driven it about 200 miles per week.

I have wanted a Shelby Mustang since 1980 - and now I have one. Just waiting for the Carroll Shelby-signed dash plaque to complete the dream.

I just looked it up at the Kalifornia DMV's web site, it's actually 7500 miles.

Here in Kalifornia us "residents" :o cannot buy a new car out-of-state if it's not Kalif. smog certified.

This is from the Kalif. DMV web site, "50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents." "California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California."

AHHHHH, the price we pay, and the freedoms we give up to live in paradise...

For a list of my mods and pictures, check out my profile page at My Mustang Site http://www.mymustangsite.com/WP/

Cheers,

WP

My local dealer in Nevada sold his allocations to California buyers without any Cali smog emission issues. Every out-of-state dealer I talked to told me the Shelby's have California Emissions. My uncle bought his in Arizona, it had less than 7,500 miles and he registered it in California. Possibly if you buy a foreign car and bring it into California this could be an issue if it wasn't prepared correctly?

There are a few people that paid right around MSRP for the GT500, but not many. I got lucky, but it was a lot of work. Makes me feel better about the purchase. It's a blast to drive so no regrets. $15k over sticker is about what most dealers try to get. I think in Cali they try to get more. It's all supply and demand.

Your GT500 looks like it belongs at Sears Point. ;) Is it street legal? I haven't done any modifications yet. I like the more stock look. It definitely benefits to improve the exhaust. I am on the list for the Super Snake Package.

Your GT500 looks like it belongs at Sears Point. ;) Is it street legal?

Yes & no, no cop would ever give me a ticket because of the mods but with the cool air intake, pulley and tune it won't pass smog now but I've got 5 years until the first smog check and the mods are easy to remove and set back to stock; I've avoided mods that aren't easy to switch back to stock, like headers and cams.

You're right about the exhaust, it will make a difference but the biggest HP gain mod that I've done was the JLT cool air intake coupled with a dyno worked-up custom tune, the intake and tune picked up 76 RWHP and 52 RWTQ.

I've recently been told that neighboring states to California (OR, NV, AZ) typically have 50-State smog certified cars so that they can sell them to California residents, or anyone/anywhere else for that matter.

Cheers,

WP

Yes & no, no cop would ever give me a ticket because of the mods but with the cool air intake, pulley and tune it won't pass smog now but I've got 5 years until the first smog check and the mods are easy to remove and set back to stock; I've avoided mods that aren't easy to switch back to stock, like headers and cams.

You're right about the exhaust, it will make a difference but the biggest HP gain mod that I've done was the JLT cool air intake coupled with a dyno worked-up custom tune, the intake and tune picked up 76 RWHP and 52 RWTQ.

I've recently been told that neighboring states to California (OR, NV, AZ) typically have 50-State smog certified cars so that they can sell them to California residents, or anyone/anywhere else for that matter.

Cheers,

WP

The neighboring state proximity is what I have been led to believe about the California smog emission equivalence also. So I think you're right about that.

I notice on the Utah dealer sticker there is no reference to California Emissions. I have heard dyno RWHP varies on the GT500. The emissions requirement for whatever region the car is made could be what makes that difference? However where I live in Nevada a smog check is required yearly!

I do notice a more pungent exhaust smell residue in the garage from this car. I hope it smogs without a lot of hassle! I got a screaming deal so it's all good. ;)

I have a similar story to Lucky - except on the East Coast (Mass). I called around after orders were being taken, and most dealers here wanted high premiums and had long lists. I monitored ebay, called dealers across the country - and finally found one in Ohio willing to deal. I paid $15K over sticker for a Performance White/Vista Blue striped Shelby. Best purchase I ever made - and have driven it about 200 miles per week.

I have wanted a Shelby Mustang since 1980 - and now I have one. Just waiting for the Carroll Shelby-signed dash plaque to complete the dream.

Where in Mass? I too tried getting info for a year+, but no one had a clue. When the ordering banks opened I called everywhere and was getting the same reply, long lists, private after hour auctions, high premiums, and got very depressed. Although we paid a lot I'm happy and would do it again today to order it. I too was ordering my dream last June.

Have ordered Mr Shelby's autograph dash plate, have Mr. S's autograph under hood, and will be getting his autograph this summer on the window sticker.

Where in Mass? I too tried getting info for a year+, but no one had a clue. When the ordering banks opened I called everywhere and was getting the same reply, long lists, private after hour auctions, high premiums, and got very depressed. Although we paid a lot I'm happy and would do it again today to order it. I too was ordering my dream last June.

Have ordered Mr Shelby's autograph dash plate, have Mr. S's autograph under hood, and will be getting his autograph this summer on the window sticker.

here is s calif dealers that 6 weeks ago wanted 30k over now list them at 13k over, so my bet you can get for msrp or 5k over now, i'm betting they can now be found for msrp

here is s calif dealers that 6 weeks ago wanted 30k over now list them at 13k over, so my bet you can get for msrp or 5k over now, i'm betting they can now be found for msrp

If you are referring to the Shelby GT I think you are right. A Shelby GT can be had for sticker price IF you find the right dealer. There are reports of Shelby GT's selling at MSRP with more frequency.

I use eBay for a barometer for GT500 sales. Every once in a while they will sell on eBay for less than $15K over MSRP, but most reserve prices are at $58K+. Most reserves are set at above $60K on eBay. I believe most 2007 GT500's have been sold. There is supposed to be a couple new GT500 colors offered for 2008 plus whatever other new options they may offer. There are many people that have deposits in on those 2008 cars.

In my state you pay no sales tax on a pre-registered car. The best bet for a good deal is to buy a GT500 with low miles and not have to pay sales tax. There was one out of Texas on eBay I could have bought that way last year, but the dealer called me before I pursued that deal. The Texas GT500 I saw on eBay, had about 600 miles, but still would have sold for about $55K and I was still $8K under that ordering from the dealer I found.

If you want to order exactly what you want from a dealer and pay closer to MSRP I think you have to be willing to go to an out-of-state dealer, get on a buyers list with many smaller Ford dealers, wait and hope your name is called. Maybe I just got lucky, but that is what I did.

im selling shelby GTs for 500 over invoice. they are not bringing the money that GT500s bring.

there are 1 new color, 2 new stripes, and 4 new options. i can tell them to you if you want?

michael

All new HID- High Intensity Discharge headlamps option (51H)

All new Ambient Lighting Option (95M)

Vapor Clearcoat Metallic (ZY) replaces both Satin Silver and Tungsten

Ebony (85E) and Alloy (85A) stripes now available with selected exterior colors *

*thanks randy, i stole this from you off fmcdealer breakroom

im selling shelby GTs for 500 over invoice. they are not bringing the money that GT500s bring.

there are 1 new color, 2 new stripes, and 4 new options. i can tell them to you if you want?

michael

All new HID- High Intensity Discharge headlamps option (51H)

All new Ambient Lighting Option (95M)

Vapor Clearcoat Metallic (ZY) replaces both Satin Silver and Tungsten

Ebony (85E) and Alloy (85A) stripes now available with selected exterior colors *

*thanks randy, i stole this from you off fmcdealer breakroom

I notice the low beam head lamps are a little week driving in low light conditions.

What is the Ambient Lighting option? What color is Vapor Clearcoat Metallic? Is that a silver-gray kind of color? They will offer ebony stripes for 2008? That is what I originally wanted with a gun-metal gray base. I don't know why they didn't offer it initially? I figured they might be saving that for an Eleanor GT500E model?

Thanks for the info.

I paid $54K for my 2007 Convertible Vista Blue GT500. Bought it from the original owner here in Texas. He owned the car for a couple of months and was selling because he was going to work overseas. The car had 730 miles when I bought it. He paid sticker price for the car b/c his father was a Congressman and knew the dealership well. The car was actually on Ebay with a buy it now price of $54K. I hit the button as soon as I saw the auction. It's in mint condition.

I notice the low beam head lamps are a little week driving in low light conditions.

What is the Ambient Lighting option? What color is Vapor Clearcoat Metallic? Is that a silver-gray kind of color? They will offer ebony stripes for 2008? That is what I originally wanted with a gun-metal gray base. I don't know why they didn't offer it initially? I figured they might be saving that for an Eleanor GT500E model?

Thanks for the info.

no problem lucky

glad to help

michael

Archived