TEAM SHELBY FORUM

underdrive pulleys

shelbydream1

ANYONE THINK A SET OF UNDERDRIVE PULLEYS WOULD BE WORTH THE TIME ON THE SGT?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Read my signature below. I am scheduled to have them installed. I am told I may get somewhere around 8-12 HP. If you want to learn more, I already posted details of what I'm getting done so do a search for "Tasca."

RIHarley just had them installed - I'll let him comment himself - but I know it was very positive.

GO FOR IT!!!

Let us know how you make out.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Read my signature below. I am scheduled to have them installed. I am told I may get somewhere around 8-12 HP. If you want to learn more, I already posted details of what I'm getting done so do a search for "Tasca."

RIHarley just had them installed - I'll let him comment himself - but I know it was very positive.

GO FOR IT!!!

What was the actual HP gain and "feel" of the performance on installing the underdrive pulleys?

THX

I installed the STEEDA underdrive pulleys. I had a local do it. install cost was $125.

I didn't have the car put on a dyno before and after but the change has been positive. The motor seems to spool up quicker. I actually hit the 6500 rev limiter for the first time after installing the pulleys. "seat of the pants" dyno tells me it wass worth it. :D

I installed the STEEDA underdrive pulleys. I had a local do it. install cost was $125.

I didn't have the car put on a dyno before and after but the change has been positive. The motor seems to spool up quicker. I actually hit the 6500 rev limiter for the first time after installing the pulleys. "seat of the pants" dyno tells me it wass worth it. :D

So the under drive pulley was the way to go huh? I think I will have it doen I love my cars quick & fast.

Also can you tell me what the "rev limiter" does when you hit it?

So the under drive pulley was the way to go huh? I think I will have it doen I love my cars quick & fast.

Also can you tell me what the "rev limiter" does when you hit it?

Your car momentarily shuts down. You can feel it. Once you come off it a little it comes back to life again. On my old 67 GT 500 I had a MSD with 6AL box and it was not so pronounced . MSD shuts off half the cylinders. The SGT seems to shut down everything at once.

I can attest to a recent customer complaint that was caused by under drive pulleys.

Customer complaint was temp needle was alot higher than it was last year.

Mechanics findings: Underdrive pulleys cause cavitation in the coolant system. This causes air bubbles in the coolant system which in turn causes the car to run hotter.

The fix. Remove underdrive pulleys and go back to OEM.

The worst case scenario: If the car was to overheat and do any damage. The damage might not be covered by the new vehicle warranty due to an aftermarket performance part.

Just my 2 cents, I am sure some other dealer members can chime in.

JPF

TFI

I can attest to a recent customer complaint that was caused by under drive pulleys.

Customer complaint was temp needle was alot higher than it was last year.

Mechanics findings: Underdrive pulleys cause cavitation in the coolant system. This causes air bubbles in the coolant system which in turn causes the car to run hotter.

The fix. Remove underdrive pulleys and go back to OEM.

The worst case scenario: If the car was to overheat and do any damage. The damage might not be covered by the new vehicle warranty due to an aftermarket performance part.

Just my 2 cents, I am sure some other dealer members can chime in.

JPF

TFI

I think alot of people who do the UDP's usually have a different tune in the car which usually changes the fan operation also. The tune i have runs the fans sooner and longer to eliminate any heating issues due to advanced timing.

I would think the UPD or "Under" drive pully would slow down the water pump and therefor not cavatate at all because of the speed in which it spins?

Am i right here?

Your car momentarily shuts down. You can feel it. Once you come off it a little it comes back to life again. On my old 67 GT 500 I had a MSD with 6AL box and it was not so pronounced . MSD shuts off half the cylinders. The SGT seems to shut down everything at once.

The car just shuts down huh. Does the car pop and fart and act like it is running on 6 cylinders when the rev limiter starts in? This is the issue I am having with my car but @ 56-6000 RPMS.

yes, Ed you are correct. I have a different tune for the car which changes the fan temp points. I added a Steeda CAI elbow on the FRP CAI and needed to install the different tune.

Harley, where did you get the tune for the fan temp points, and how much did it cost?? I plan on installing the CAI elbow to replace the soft rubber FRP elbow and if you say that the pullies are well worth it, i will put them on too. Also, on the fan temp points, what did you set them at??? And, if you install the pullies, what happens with them when you go to install the supercharger...do they stay, go, or would the S/C tune overwrite the other tune??

ABSOLUTELY!!!

GO FOR IT!!!

aodwyer, i found your previous post after searching tasca, i'm curious about the charge motion plates. I haven't heard of these before. What are they and what do they do? Also, with the tune you are getting, will this cover other mods too? ex. headers, pullies, inlet tube? When are you scheduled to have this work done? i'm anxious to see the results. B) And where can i do some more research on these Tasca upgrades?

yes, Ed you are correct. I have a different tune for the car which changes the fan temp points. I added a Steeda CAI elbow on the FRP CAI and needed to install the different tune.

Im have been running a Brenspeed tune with a C & L CAI and have gained about 4 tenths at the local 1/8 mile track. I have thought about the upgraded elbow but was not sure of the gains from it and i had this other set up from the 07 automatic i use to have. Hopefully on the 19th i am going to make it to ST Motorsports where they are having a mustang only Dyno day. You get 3 pulls for 45 bucks plus BBQ lunch. My thinking is to have 1 pull as Factory (SAI) setup, then #2 pull with just a different tune, #3 with the C & L with that combo tune, and see which is the best setup and get nubers for each to post here.

Ed

Harley, where did you get the tune for the fan temp points, and how much did it cost?? I plan on installing the CAI elbow to replace the soft rubber FRP elbow and if you say that the pullies are well worth it, i will put them on too. Also, on the fan temp points, what did you set them at??? And, if you install the pullies, what happens with them when you go to install the supercharger...do they stay, go, or would the S/C tune overwrite the other tune??

The handheld tuner is an SCT Xcaliber2. I got my tune at STEEDA with the tuner and pulleys.

Steeda claims to have built the tune for the FORD CAI which is theirs. I went with the temp points as set by Steeda. I will watch the temp gauge and adjust if needed with the laptop program.

They are also VERY familiar with the Shelby GT tune. Ask for Don and tell him that Tim from Rhode Island had you call. He'll hook you up with the right stuff.

Honestly, I don't know if the pulleys stay or go when I get a S/C. The S/C is a future plan. for now I like the idea of building the HP in an "all motor" mode. All motor is more retro and goes with the wonderful muscle sound of the SGT. For now, the SGT's speed is enough to scare me even though the suspension set handles the car extremly well.

Originally, I was going to get the Paxton installed at SAI but due to my impatience to get the car back and $$ I decided to get my car back without the mod. Duh, it sat there for 2 months waiting and I got it back stock anyway... Oh well. It turned out to be a great decision because the Shelby GT is a great package. The handling is amazing. I have experience with a S/C truck ( my Harley truck) and that extra "rush" or blast is not what I'm looking for.

I'm very happy with the performance of the Shelby GT. I plan to add small bits of HP in different parts as time goes on. I hope to get to approx. 400 HP or so. I'm not a racer I just want to have fun and not get spanked by some ricer kid... see mods in my sig. Of course, once I get used to the car's speed a S/C might not be far away! ;) Sorry for rambling! :blink:

Tim, thanks a lot, very helpful. I will give steeda a call later today. I just need aodwyer to reply now to get all my questions of the day answered.

also...where in rhode island are you at? i live south of Buffalo, ny but i work on the road all year. right now i am up in Boston and will be either here, CT, or in rhode island most of the year. it would be cool to check out your SGT with the mods. B)

Tim, thanks a lot, very helpful. I will give steeda a call later today. I just need aodwyer to reply now to get all my questions of the day answered.

also...where in rhode island are you at? i live south of Buffalo, ny but i work on the road all year. right now i am up in Boston and will be either here, CT, or in rhode island most of the year. it would be cool to check out your SGT with the mods. B)

Check PM. I also bought the charge motion plates but haven't installed them yet. A local Mustang racer told me that he has installed them on a few cars and later took them out becuase of "driveabilty" He saw no difference and lost low end torque. I'm not sure what to do. I may install them and see for myself but it is a 2-3 hour job for me so I may just return them.

The handheld tuner is an SCT Xcaliber2. I got my tune at STEEDA with the tuner and pulleys.

Steeda claims to have built the tune for the FORD CAI which is theirs. I went with the temp points as set by Steeda. I will watch the temp gauge and adjust if needed with the laptop program.

They are also VERY familiar with the Shelby GT tune. Ask for Don and tell him that Tim from Rhode Island had you call. He'll hook you up with the right stuff.

Honestly, I don't know if the pulleys stay or go when I get a S/C. The S/C is a future plan. for now I like the idea of building the HP in an "all motor" mode. All motor is more retro and goes with the wonderful muscle sound of the SGT. For now, the SGT's speed is enough to scare me even though the suspension set handles the car extremly well.

Originally, I was going to get the Paxton installed at SAI but due to my impatience to get the car back and $$ I decided to get my car back without the mod. Duh, it sat there for 2 months waiting and I got it back stock anyway... Oh well. It turned out to be a great decision because the Shelby GT is a great package. The handling is amazing. I have experience with a S/C truck ( my Harley truck) and that extra "rush" or blast is not what I'm looking for.

I'm very happy with the performance of the Shelby GT. I plan to add small bits of HP in different parts as time goes on. I hope to get to approx. 400 HP or so. I'm not a racer I just want to have fun and not get spanked by some ricer kid... see mods in my sig. Of course, once I get used to the car's speed a S/C might not be far away! ;) Sorry for rambling! :blink:

Good post and thanks for the information. B)

Honestly, I don't know if the pulleys stay or go when I get a S/C.

Don't have a hard answer for this question, but I can infer one. I had a 1989 GT back in the day with under drive pulleys, aftermarket intake, exhaust, roller rockers, etc., etc., etc. A friend had a similar Saleen (1990, I think?) and was installing a supercharger. He had trouble getting the thing right and ended up buying my OEM pulleys for his car, which fixed the problem. We assumed that the supercharger was set up to run off the factory settings, and assuming Paxton does the same thing today, then the underdrive pulleys would probably be a waste of money and time. Again, just an assumption.

aodwyer, i found your previous post after searching tasca, i'm curious about the charge motion plates. I haven't heard of these before. What are they and what do they do? Also, with the tune you are getting, will this cover other mods too? ex. headers, pullies, inlet tube? When are you scheduled to have this work done? i'm anxious to see the results. B) And where can i do some more research on these Tasca upgrades?

From what Tasca Performance originally told me months ago, the charge motion plates are in the intake manifold area and allow more air into the engine (hope I'm correct). I scheduled all of these mods with them back in March. My contact is Steve Guyette, Director of their Performance Division. I guess any performance Ford dealer would work if you're looking for someone closer to you.

Do some research on Tasca and their history and you'll see why I have been doing all of this with them. PM me your email and I'll send you an article about a 1967 Tasca Shelby. I'm going to ask the publisher if I can post it on this forum. When I'm done, I will have a 2007 Tasca Shelby.

I live in Upton, MA - 45 minutes from Boston - off 495 and the Mass Pike (which you likely drove to get to Boston). When you PM me, I'll give you my cell. Maybe we can hook up sometime. Tim from RI (RIHarley) lives about an hour away. His car is really nice, as is Ed's (glhs107) of CT. We all hung out a little bit at a recent Mustangs Unlimited car show recently. The only problem was that they had their cars and I didn't.

Anyway, I am psyched that Tim has already done much of what I'll be having done so I get a flavor of what to expect. He is doing each part at a time where mine will be done all at once when Tasca gets it. I'll post pre and post dyno's when available. Hopefully this will be in a few weeks. Tim mentioned to me that he heard questionable results about the charge motion plates after he ordered them which is why he hasn't yet put them in. I think he might wait to see how my car feels and then decide whether to put them in.

I'll be getting the same tune that Tim did also and yes, it will cover all the mods at once. Tasca has already done this to several other cars. Since they invented the Cobra Jet engine, they have a somewhat similar new model Mustang to our SGT but they call theirs a Tasca Cobra Jet Mustang (or something like that) and they are getting much more horsepower (with S/C and other). When researching them, you'll find their 60's Shelby's were pumping over 600 HP and they had a Tasca 505 pumping 500+ HP. I think the 505 was a 1965 Mustang.

Update:

All, here is the link to the Steeda Charge Motion plates. These have ports for nitrous too, if you decide to go that route.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_char...tion_plates.php

Be careful not to order the economy ones:

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_econ...tion_plates.php

Adam

Archived