TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car and Driver and the SGT!

SWEDESHELBY1

The new Car and Driver just tried to rip apart the SGT even though it got better times in in the 1/4 mile than the other 3 - Audi TT, RX-8 and Nissan 350Z. They blatantly spanked the fake side scoops, the "cheap riveted hood scoop" and the cheap interior. But also ripped apart the TT Coupe, the RX-8 and the Nissan 350Z. I don't know about them but I love my car but all the press "might" let Ford take notice. Ther 19HP increase over a stock GT is the killer on this car, even though it is much quicker due to the 3:55 gears. To say the least I am a little disappointed in the article even though the SGT beat all of them in speed categories i.e.: 1/4 mile performance, excelleration etc... These people got spanked but they still down talked the SGT because they say it is not much better than the Mustang GT. They obviously don;t know Mustangs. I think they just don't like the Ford Mustang because it is an American icon and most "new" car fans and "new" car writers love the rice rockets, they can't remember what a Shelby means as they were not born then. So until they read the numbers and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, they'll never really admit to it. I love the pure muscle in the V-8 ah its what America is all about! B)

Read it your self in the new Car & Driver then givbe your impression here

The new Car and Driver just tried to rip apart the SGT even though it got better times in in the 1/4 mile than the other 3 - Audi TT, RX-8 and Nissan 350Z. They blatantly spanked the fake side scoops, the "cheap riveted hood scoop" and the cheap interior. But also ripped apart the TT Coupe, the RX-8 and the Nissan 350Z. I don't know about them but I love my car but all the press "might" let Ford take notice. Ther 19HP increase over a stock GT is the killer on this car, even though it is much quicker due to the 3:55 gears. To say the least I am a little disappointed in the article even though the SGT beat all of them in speed categories i.e.: 1/4 mile performance, excelleration etc... These people got spanked but they still down talked the SGT because they say it is not much better than the Mustang GT. They obviously don;t know Mustangs. I think they just don't like the Ford Mustang because it is an American icon and most "new" car fans and "new" car writers love the rice rockets, they can't remember what a Shelby means as they were not born then. So until they read the numbers and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, they'll never really admit to it. I love the pure muscle in the V-8 ah its what America is all about! B)

Read it your self in the new Car & Driver then givbe your impression here

I have not read the article yet but I will as soon as I can find a copy.

One thing I have noticed over the years about C&D. They seem to have a anti Ford slant to them. They can't deny the numbers, but always seem to bash the Fords. Especially the Mustangs.

I have not read the article yet but I will as soon as I can find a copy.

One thing I have noticed over the years about C&D. They seem to have a anti Ford slant to them. They can't deny the numbers, but always seem to bash the Fords. Especially the Mustangs.

:angry: :angry: I was going to say the same exact thing. As long as i can remember reading that magazine, that's all they have done. It is very rare that they rate a Ford better than the competition and when it comes to the Mustang, no matter what model it is, it's never any good to them. They never have anything but negative remarks about them. I don't know what their problem is, but it sure is a problem. I'm glad this has been brought up. I am curious to hear what others have to say about this. It really fires me up. :angry: :angry:

:angry: :angry: I was going to say the same exact thing. As long as i can remember reading that magazine, that's all they have done. It is very rare that they rate a Ford better than the competition and when it comes to the Mustang, no matter what model it is, it's never any good to them. They never have anything but negative remarks about them. I don't know what their problem is, but it sure is a problem. I'm glad this has been brought up. I am curious to hear what others have to say about this. It really fires me up. :angry: :angry:

Really , who gives a <bleep>. Not everyone is going to like every car. Cant we all just get along? :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was on another forum which was discussing the Car & Driver Article

I thought I would share on this forum what I had to say...

I read the article also. To me it appeared that some inexperienced high school kids wrote it; it was terrible. They didn't even give a thought to what the Shelby GT is all about; much more than the sum of its parts and its performance statistics. Even at that, the SGT equaled or exceeded the other cars in all the tests that matter, except braking and obviously the car they tested had specific braking issues, which even they admitted. This probably had to do with it not even being an actual production car. The Shelby GT is not a "Sports Car" such as the others anyway; it would be more correctly called a "Grand Touring" car in my book and should be compared against other Grand Touring cars of similar size, power and weight. That is performed as well as it did against these sports cars is a testament of how great a car it is. Give my my Shelby over any of the other cars tested any day and I bet if there were an actual race between those cars the SGT would whip 'em all - hell, look how the Mustangs are tearing it up in the Koni Challenge against all these "Sports Cars".

THEY COMPARED IT TO CARS THAT ARE NOTHING LIKE IT WAS THE PART I LIKED. NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THE MARKET FOR A SHELBY WOULD BE LOOKING AT AN AUDI TT,NISSAN Z OR MAZDA RX-8. OF COURSE THEY WILL DO BETTER IN SOME OF THE TESTS-THEY WERE ALL LIGHTER AND SMALLER. I'LL STILL TAKE MY SHELBY AND THE C&D WILL MAKE A GOOD FIRE STARTER THIS WINTER. MY SHELBY WILL BE MY 3RD VEHICLE-PURELY A TOY, I HAD ZERO INTERST IN ANY OF THE OTHER 3 PRIOR TO THE ARTICLE AND ZERO AFTER READING IT, YET I STILL WANT MY SHELBY. THE OTHER 3 CARS SHOULD HAVE BEEN GREEN TO HELP REFLECT THE AUTHOR'S JEALOUSY THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELBY!

I have read both articles that Car and Driver (CD) wrote about the 2007 Shelby GT - both times they panned the car. Why? They just did not like the car. As the rest of you have said they are comparing apples to oranges.

The SGT is not a race car, it is not designed to compete with the Z06 or the new Z07 Corvettes or the hundreds of other high performance sports cars on the market. Oh, and these types of cars cost in the $100K plus area, we are not paying that much. Yes, we can modify our SGT’s to compete with any of these types of high performance cars; you just have to “Pay to Play.” Ask the owner of that very nice GT-500E - $189K perhaps?

As I have said, we own a piece of automotive history…our SGT’s, unlike the Ford production GT-500’s, spent time at SAI and the man who set out to beat the Ferraris and that Chevy they call the Corvette. If I recall my history, Carroll Shelby whipped them good. :D

THEY COMPARED IT TO CARS THAT ARE NOTHING LIKE IT WAS THE PART I LIKED. NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THE MARKET FOR A SHELBY WOULD BE LOOKING AT AN AUDI TT,NISSAN Z OR MAZDA RX-8. OF COURSE THEY WILL DO BETTER IN SOME OF THE TESTS-THEY WERE ALL LIGHTER AND SMALLER. I'LL STILL TAKE MY SHELBY AND THE C&D WILL MAKE A GOOD FIRE STARTER THIS WINTER. MY SHELBY WILL BE MY 3RD VEHICLE-PURELY A TOY, I HAD ZERO INTERST IN ANY OF THE OTHER 3 PRIOR TO THE ARTICLE AND ZERO AFTER READING IT, YET I STILL WANT MY SHELBY. THE OTHER 3 CARS SHOULD HAVE BEEN GREEN TO HELP REFLECT THE AUTHOR'S JEALOUSY THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELBY!

I must be rare, because I actually considered all of these cars. But, the Audi TT is a "chick car" (how else do I say that for you politically correct folks?) in my opinion, I don't like the looks of the Nissan Z and I needed rear seats, the the RX-8 is gutless on the bottom end, has had reliability problems and I don't really like the styling. Every thing about the SGT is awesome. I never had a car before where guys stop next to me at interections and want to know about it. Today on the way home that happened, then when continuing the trip I got three waves / thumbs up and one kid in a Focus taking pictures of the car w/ his cell phone then passing me to give me a wave.

I must be rare, because I actually considered all of these cars. But, the Audi TT is a "chick car" (how else do I say that for you politically correct folks?) in my opinion, I don't like the looks of the Nissan Z and I needed rear seats, the the RX-8 is gutless on the bottom end, has had reliability problems and I don't really like the styling. Every thing about the SGT is awesome. I never had a car before where guys stop next to me at interections and want to know about it. Today on the way home that happened, then when continuing the trip I got three waves / thumbs up and one kid in a Focus taking pictures of the car w/ his cell phone then passing me to give me a wave.

I dont want to bump heads.... Especially since I sold you your car. But I must disagree with your take on the Rx-8. The Rotary powerplant does things that the boingers in every other car could never even think of doing.

Imaging the 4.6 with a 9000RPM redline------- NEVER

If the HP -vs- Liters were the same the SGT would have 785 HP------- Never

All new motors have problems need I remind anyone of the 2000-1 cobras (320HP version)

The wankel is the only other type of engine in the world and yes it does need to be cared for and driven differently than the boingers do, but the rewards are plenty.

I say this not only as opinion but as fact since I own a 1984 Rx-7 with a wankel 1.1liter in it. I have spanked many a mustang in her and she has 132,000 miles on the odo. Trouble free miles I might add.

I love the SGT , I think that FoMoCo and SAI did a wonderful job on the car and the following that Shelby has is astounding. That said I think that all the articals I have read about the SGT and the GT-H are BULLSHlT...

Sorry for the rant but although the Fords pay the bills, i spend the bills on the Mazda!

hpim0765qn8vs6.jpg

JPF

TFI

:lol: These guys at CAR and DRIVER are a bunch of geeks geeks geeks. Let me run them in my Shelby GT. I like the prevouis comment about reliability. I owned a 350Z just a year ago and it was a nice car but it weighs a lot less than the GT and its a total different car. How dare these guys cut up on a mustang like this.

I have read both articles that Car and Driver (CD) wrote about the 2007 Shelby GT - both times they panned the car. Why? They just did not like the car. As the rest of you have said they are comparing apples to oranges.

The SGT is not a race car, it is not designed to compete with the Z06 or the new Z07 Corvettes or the hundreds of other high performance sports cars on the market. Oh, and these types of cars cost in the $100K plus area, we are not paying that much. Yes, we can modify our SGT’s to compete with any of these types of high performance cars; you just have to “Pay to Play.” Ask the owner of that very nice GT-500E - $189K perhaps?

As I have said, we own a piece of automotive history…our SGT’s, unlike the Ford production GT-500’s, spent time at SAI and the man who set out to beat the Ferraris and that Chevy they call the Corvette. If I recall my history, Carroll Shelby whipped them good. :D

Bottom line for me, we have the "real" Shelbys that actually came from the master's shop. The car preforms great and will be worth a lot more than the other vehicles down the road.

I dont want to bump heads.... Especially since I sold you your car. But I must disagree with your take on the Rx-8. The Rotary powerplant does things that the boingers in every other car could never even think of doing.

Imaging the 4.6 with a 9000RPM redline------- NEVER

If the HP -vs- Liters were the same the SGT would have 785 HP------- Never

All new motors have problems need I remind anyone of the 2000-1 cobras (320HP version)

The wankel is the only other type of engine in the world and yes it does need to be cared for and driven differently than the boingers do, but the rewards are plenty.

I say this not only as opinion but as fact since I own a 1984 Rx-7 with a wankel 1.1liter in it. I have spanked many a mustang in her and she has 132,000 miles on the odo. Trouble free miles I might add.

I love the SGT , I think that FoMoCo and SAI did a wonderful job on the car and the following that Shelby has is astounding. That said I think that all the articals I have read about the SGT and the GT-H are BULLSHlT...

Sorry for the rant but although the Fords pay the bills, i spend the bills on the Mazda!

hpim0765qn8vs6.jpg

JPF

TFI

No offense taken, we're just discussing. I also owned and RX-7 in the past, a 1986 RX-7 GTU. I had it for 10 years. It was a very reliable car, and while fairly quick for its day, "quick" was a 0-60 of 8 seconds. While they rev high, on the flip side they have little torque and HP on the low revs. It was a fun car and handled well, but in no way did it put a grin on my face like this SGT is doing. I also had no idea how much attention the SGT would garner. Don't get me wrong though...the RX-7 is one of my past cars I wouldn't mind still owning if I had the money and room to have multiple cars.

The way I look at it is this. When I am driving my SGT down the road with a huge smile on my face I am not thinking about C & D, or rx423's, or Audi's or any other car for that matter. I am enjoying the car I have wanted for a lifetime. It isnt the fastest, best racer, or most expensive and I dont care. It is mine and whats what matters :)

Archived