TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500Strut Tower Brace and hood fitment

BlackSVO

I just tried to installl my GT 500 strut tower brace and it contacts my stock hood. Anyone else have this problem?

The brace can be turned around so that it is towards the front or back. Have you tried it both ways?

Yea. If I install it toward the back it hits the upper intake and is held up high enough it will not bolt down. When I install it to the front it clears the intake (just barely), but it contacts the hoodenogh that when the hood starts to bow if you try to force the hood down. I have not yet cut the hood liner cause I was not sure if that would do any good.

Yea. If I install it toward the back it hits the upper intake and is held up high enough it will not bolt down. When I install it to the front it clears the intake (just barely), but it contacts the hoodenogh that when the hood starts to bow if you try to force the hood down. I have not yet cut the hood liner cause I was not sure if that would do any good.

I thought of a solution last night but it requires some work and I have to draw up the design. Mount the brace to the back. Basically take a thin metal plate the size of the mounting plate on the bottom of the brace. Drill this plate for the mounting bolts. Add a new thicker plate between the original bolts. This second plate is the same thickness (or just bare larger) of the nuts that bolt on top of the shock tower. This second plate is not as wide as the first and fits between the bolts. Now drill new holes (closer together then the original bolts) through the brace mount and both plates and down into the shock tower. Try to put a new nut on top of the original bolts (it may only be held on by a few threads or even not fit). Put long bolts down through the new holes and into the shock tower. If you can't reach up to thread a nut on the new bolts, then you may have to tap the holes for the bolts to thread in. This wil lift the whole brace the height of the bolt about a 1/2 inch and may allow the brace to clear the plenum.

Anyways this is just one possible solution.

Archived