TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ebay trends

ruprict32

In looking at the ended auctions for SGTs in the last two weeks...

About 78% of the auctions didn't meet reserve. Of the auctions that started below MSRP, bidding stopped around MSRP. Of the auctions that started above MSRP, most did not have any bids at all. Around 12% sold for $5k over and 10% over $10k.

This has not been a scientific or official survey.

:D

In looking at the ended auctions for SGTs in the last two weeks...

About 78% of the auctions didn't meet reserve. Of the auctions that started below MSRP, bidding stopped around MSRP. Of the auctions that started above MSRP, most did not have any bids at all. Around 12% sold for $5k over and 10% over $10k.

This has not been a scientific or official survey.

:D

Ditto for me! I've been keeping an eye on them just as a validation check. There was one a few weeks ago that went for $12,000 over MSRP. Not sure if it actually got sold for that but it did get won at that amount.

But you're right in that most don't meet the crazy reserve or go with no bids only to be re-listed later.

What is a real shame in many of these is the fact that the dealers often were penny wise and pound foolish. Most dealers seem to have ordered black and worse ordered without IUP, Shaker 500, etc., some even automatic, so those of us that would want this car and can afford it, want to order it the way we want it not as some dealer wanted it.

It's a real shame these allocations were wasted in this way. So not only is a dealer adding a wacky ADM but 9 out of 10 times, for me, it's for a car I wouldn't be 100% happy with and at that price, I #$! well better be! I really think this has been a limiting factor as well.

Sorry, but I don't get why you would order a bare bones Shelby if you're going to do this. Why wouldn't you fully load it and, higher margin, and then add your ADM. They obviously don't want to sell to a low paying customer so why wouldn't you make then more attractive to the high end? Not a very "bold move"!

I am actually having the reverse problem around Denver. All dealers are maxing out with options I wouldn't want. Why anyone would want the sattelite radio is beyond me. Hole in the trunk, questionable product with an uncertain future. Might as well put in an 8-track. Some of the dealers are actually trying to get you to pay for nitrogen filled tires and DOTS (what ever that is) to the tune of several hundred bucks. Uh, I think I'll take the free air and refill it.

Personally, I would want a deluxe with the shaker 500, interior upgrade and that would probably do it.

I am actually having the reverse problem around Denver. All dealers are maxing out with options I wouldn't want. Why anyone would want the sattelite radio is beyond me. Hole in the trunk, questionable product with an uncertain future. Might as well put in an 8-track. Some of the dealers are actually trying to get you to pay for nitrogen filled tires and DOTS (what ever that is) to the tune of several hundred bucks. Uh, I think I'll take the free air and refill it.

Personally, I would want a deluxe with the shaker 500, interior upgrade and that would probably do it.

See proves my point! Everyone has different tastes and dealers ordering these "their way" is a real shame.

I ordered:

White

Manual

IUP

Navigation

Heated seats

Alarm

Wheel locks

Pony center caps

at SAI I'll be getting:

CS/6 Hood like the Hertz GTH

Sheby Rear spoiler

Lower Front Grill

This is the car "I" want and having waited so long to get one I wouldn't have settled for less.

Matt

I agree, when you pay this much for a vehicle why settle ? I wound up buying mine off ebay from a dealer that already had it ordered but I only bid on something I would me happy with. The only thing I think I would of changed was not to order the satalite radio option, I don't plan on keeping the service past the free period and would rather not have the hole in the trunk.

Ditto for me! I've been keeping an eye on them just as a validation check. There was one a few weeks ago that went for $12,000 over MSRP. Not sure if it actually got sold for that but it did get won at that amount.

But you're right in that most don't meet the crazy reserve or go with no bids only to be re-listed later.

What is a real shame in many of these is the fact that the dealers often were penny wise and pound foolish. Most dealers seem to have ordered black and worse ordered without IUP, Shaker 500, etc., some even automatic, so those of us that would want this car and can afford it, want to order it the way we want it not as some dealer wanted it.

It's a real shame these allocations were wasted in this way. So not only is a dealer adding a wacky ADM but 9 out of 10 times, for me, it's for a car I wouldn't be 100% happy with and at that price, I #$! well better be! I really think this has been a limiting factor as well.

Sorry, but I don't get why you would order a bare bones Shelby if you're going to do this. Why wouldn't you fully load it and, higher margin, and then add your ADM. They obviously don't want to sell to a low paying customer so why wouldn't you make then more attractive to the high end? Not a very "bold move"!

I suspect that most of them are getting order in black because of the wheels. The white ones have the 64W wheels and they are limited to about 9 percent of the total Mustang GT build. Couple that with a manual transmission which is usually limited to 30-40 percent of the build and it is difficult to get a white stick built, especially if you are a small dealer with an allocation of only 1 or 2 mustangs for the month. Yes it's stupid, you would think that Ford would build the cars that people want to buy, but that is a whole 'nother story. The point is it is not necessarily the dealers fault, they have to order within the option constraints Ford gives them, or Ford will just schedule what THEY want to build. If all I have in the order bank is a white stick SGT and the allocation of 18" wheels is already scheduled they might just build be a 6cyl automatic or something else I don't want just because I didn't have a "buildable" alternative in there. As for the Mach 1000, I've had maybe 3 people since 05 that wanted it, and 2 of those were GT500 buyers. (the trunk is small enough as it is, and how loud are you really going to play it? 500 watts not enough? who needs the extra weight?) The GT buyers didn't really care about it specifically, they just wanted "everything". I don't know why you would complain about the automatic, I'm sure you know Ford is making the dealers order 1/2 of them as autos. Part of collectibility is rarity. I suspect the rarest Shelbys will be white autos with cloth seats and shaker 500's!

I agree, when you pay this much for a vehicle why settle ? I wound up buying mine off ebay from a dealer that already had it ordered but I only bid on something I would me happy with. The only thing I think I would of changed was not to order the satalite radio option, I don't plan on keeping the service past the free period and would rather not have the hole in the trunk.

Part of the problem is the dealers don't know WHEN they will get their allocation for these and once Ford issues your allocation you have to place the order. This leaves no time to line up a buyer and let them order it the way they want it.

Ford said this car was to start production in Jan. But Ford issued allocation for many of these in early Dec. where dealers HAD to get their orders in.

We knew we were getting at least one and I listed it on ebay with winning bid as the amount over MSRP with no reserve and started the bidding at $100. I let the market decide what it wanted to pay for a premium.

It sold for just under $5k over MSRP. The buyer got to order it the way he wanted it. I sold it on ebay in Dec. and put the customer's order it right after that. Ford pulled the order in Feb and scheduled it to be built the first week of March. It was built on March 5th. So it should be in route to Vegas.

I'm guestimating it will be around the end of April by the time it get's to the dealership.

I will probably list our two allocations for our two 08 GT500's around April as a pre-sale order so those customers can order those the way they want as well. The only problem with the pre-sale order is there isn't any way of knowing WHEN Ford will schedule it. It could be June or any month through May of 08.

One thing is for sure though, we WON'T be taking deposits from 30 different buyers when we know we will only get two of these, unlike a lot of other dealers have done with the 07 models!

Part of the problem is the dealers don't know WHEN they will get their allocation for these and once Ford issues your allocation you have to place the order. This leaves no time to line up a buyer and let them order it the way they want it.

Ford said this car was to start production in Jan. But Ford issued allocation for many of these in early Dec. where dealers HAD to get their orders in.

What a mess. :(

If you are a true performance buyer, you know flashy interior upgrades and sterios are only something extra to give problems later and in no way shape or form make a car go faster.

If you are a true performance buyer, you know flashy interior upgrades and sterios are only something extra to give problems later and in no way shape or form make a car go faster.

However, the interior upgrade package is how you get full gauges, who wants a Shelby without an oil pressure gauge?

I'm not an expert on the FORD ordering and allocation system but from what I have been able to learn from my own process of ordering and getting a Shelby, the FORD system seems illogical. What seems a "mess" is that a buyer can place an order at different dealers and have an entirely different chance of getting a car based upon that particular dealer's allocation. The allocation is ( I have heard) is affected by the dealer's market share of Mustangs, sold cars from last year and % sold of certain cars shipped to them.

So the effect is that there are buyers with deposits down on a car that have no chance in hell getting a car. The dealer may only "wishing" that they may get allocated a car. They know they already have a ready and willing buyer..... You can't blame the dealer, whos knows they MAY get a car for you.... why not take your deposit? Of course, that excludes the early Shelby GT ordering where any dealer could get one Shelby GT each. I was lucky enough to hit the timing right to place an order, get a VIN and then get a car. Frankly, I had THREE deposits at THREE dealers and the one that came through first was, I thought, the least likely to get a car for me. I later found out I was 3rd on one of the lists, and 2nd on one. Of course I didn't want an automatic so being 2nd on the list didn't help. I'm just glad to have bought a car at MSRP.....I was very lucky.

Do a little research and you'll find out that even F-150 buyers looking for certain limited editions have had the same issues. There are stories are all over the internet about the allocation issues from FORD. I'm sure they have some justification of this process or it has been developed from history. The bottom line is that if you are a FORD buyer and place an order at a dealer, you should have the same chance of getting a car as anyone else placing an order at any other dealer at the same time.

.....of course if you really only cared about a performance minded Mustang, than you would buy a FR500C.........j/k :P

Archived