TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dash Disassembly

lonnyreed

I would like to send a part to the Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation to get it autographed by Mr. Shelby. I have seen other cars with an autograph on the piece just above the glove box door. Any ideas on how to get this part off without destroying the dash, or worse, the airbag?

I would like to send a part to the Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation to get it autographed by Mr. Shelby. I have seen other cars with an autograph on the piece just above the glove box door. Any ideas on how to get this part off without destroying the dash, or worse, the airbag?

Take it to the dealer so they can do it. You will have to send it with the airbag. It is all one piece.

I was going to do it but I didn't want to mess with that because of what was involved. So I'm waiting for the dash plaques to come in and will just go with that. It will be signed by Carroll personally and they will stamp your vin number into it as well. Only $269!

I thought the dash plaque was for the GT500, are they also going to offer one to the GT owners ?

I originally thought about removing my glove box and having it signed, but if they offer a plaque I might do this instead. It sure would be nice if they offered a service where they could arrange to have Carrol sign the vehicles while there were at SAI. Seems that since they are at SAI for so long that maybe they could arrange for Carrol to sign cars maybe once or twice a month. I'm sure this would raise more money for Carrols foundation as many owners will not want to dis-assemble their new cars to send a part in to get signed.

I took the passenger side sun visor off and had Mr. Shelby sign on the mirror cover. Sent it via his Children's Foundation. I got it back in about 10 days. It looks great, I just re-installed it.

I checked with my dealer on the air bag cover originally, they said that it cannot be removed. The whole air bag assembly is one piece.

I took the passenger side sun visor off and had Mr. Shelby sign on the mirror cover. Sent it via his Children's Foundation. I got it back in about 10 days. It looks great, I just re-installed it.

I checked with my dealer on the air bag cover originally, they said that it cannot be removed. The whole air bag assembly is one piece.

It can be removed. You just have to send the entire piece.

hey guys dig through the old threads. Somebody had a thread where they had the disassembly process and it didnt require sending the airbag. I am not sure you can even do that since there is an explosive behind most airbags.

Another thought go order the airbag cover piece from a Ford parts department and send that piece before you start taking your car apart.

I was a little disappointed to see Mr. Shelby doesn't get in the cars any more. I understand. However, I don't think sending the part to a PO box is not the same as having the car signed. Only my opinion.

hey guys dig through the old threads. Somebody had a thread where they had the disassembly process and it didnt require sending the airbag. I am not sure you can even do that since there is an explosive behind most airbags.

Another thought go order the airbag cover piece from a Ford parts department and send that piece before you start taking your car apart.

I was a little disappointed to see Mr. Shelby doesn't get in the cars any more. I understand. However, I don't think sending the part to a PO box is not the same as having the car signed. Only my opinion.

I looked into just buying a new cover and you have to order the entire airbag assembly. It is attached to the dash.

I just wanted the aluminum piece over the dash. Even that is attached as part of the dash and airbag assembly.

The cost is over $650 just for the part alone!

I looked into just buying a new cover and you have to order the entire airbag assembly. It is attached to the dash.

I just wanted the aluminum piece over the dash. Even that is attached as part of the dash and airbag assembly.

The cost is over $650 just for the part alone!

I looked back through previous threads and found one from a guy who said he got the airbag out and separated the parts in 20 minutes....any dealer type people out there who have access to manuals/service people that could help us out???

......lol, think that order form comes in the glove compartment for $600.

LR66,

Can you post the link for those want to take a look.

Here is the quote from the other thread....

I sent my passenger side upper front dash to the Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation last week. I removed the portion of the airbag assembely that was installed in back of the faceplate. So it's just the only the front dash cover is what I sent. It took about 20 minutes to remove it. The item is less than a pound and is approimately is wide and long as a standard cpu keyboard. As per the website, all car parts request a $200.00 donation. Once I get it back I will have it either clearcoated or get a 3M thin clear adhesive film over the signature. I have a V8 as well, but going with the CS6 format. I think this hand written signature will be a nice touch to a already nice project.

My advise is to send whatever it is you want him to sign soon. Its for a darn good cause and even legends can't be with us forever. I wish they could. Man, I wish he could. He's an awesome guy! -FB

and the link..... http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=374&st=0

By the way....my car didn't come with the offer for the $600 8x10 autographed photo.

I want Carroll to sign my engine so I've removed it and sent it to the Children's Foundation. Unfortunately only later did I realize that the hood or fender might be cooler. I am in the process of sawing the car in half so I can reduce shipping costs. Anyone ever done this? Is there an FAQ? I was doing real well until I got to the fuel line..doesn't mix well with sparks from a metal cutter. Just a FYI for those considering a hood or fender autograph. BTW! The cost to ship the engine was $417 freight.

Matt is certainly a crazy one. Got my vin yesterday. Steve

Just an update. I couldn't get anyone to ship the front half of the car at even close to a reasonable price. VERY disappointing. I have decided to remove the remaining sections of the roof now and send it in. Apparently the roof meets the limits of UPS shipping in size and weight so I feel pretty confident this will work. A plus is that, until Carroll ships it back, I essentially have a convertible! Pretty cool!

I’ve started to reassemble the car, the motor came back postage due, so prepping the roof to ship will have to wait a few days. I’ll send more updates and maybe some pictures later!

-Matt

P.S. The further I get into the reassembly the more extra pieces and parts I am finding left over. I think Ford really over engineered these cars. If anyone wants them I can post a picture or description of the item later. Frankly I have no idea what some of these things are, one weighs 27 lbs, while the others are just silly screws and washers etc.

Archived