TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Delete for the GT 500

crispy23c

Ok, a semi-official note on the stripe delete for the GT 500:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news20.asp

If you can't click the link:

"In fact, short of SVT purists questioning the addition of racing stripes (don't worry, there will be some sort of stripe delete option), there's really only one issue potential buyers have with the new Shelby - the wait! The new Cobra will not be available until mid 2006. So with the last Cobra rolling off the assembly line in May of 2004 and the next one not arriving until sometime in mid 2006, the SVT fanatic is left to contemplate their next move."

So, it sounds like they heard us! B)

$6k for stripes?  Are they on acid?!?!?  At most, $2,000-ish.  You should have laughed in his face!  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :blink:  :lol:  :lol:

edit:  that's U.S. Dollars, for our Canadian friends...

1324[/snapback]

It's true - on the Ford GT the stripes were a $5000 option, it's right on the MSRP sticker. But look at the work it takes to put them on that car, the way the hood has all the scoops on it, it would be a huge pain. $5000 is a bunch of money, but if you can afford $160,000 plus what's a few more thousand for stripes?

Yeah, a $5k option at the factory on a $160K car amounts to a delta of 3%...backed by a factory warranty, done right. If it's wrong, the factory won't ship it. Add to that, complex curves of a Ford GT, and exotic materials.

Shelby Mustang, at a dealer, for $6,000 is (at $40k), an addition of 15% to the sticker, no complex curves, done at the dealer's paint shop (never as clean as factory). If the dealer does it wrong, you might have a problem (as you would doing it at a body shop, too). $6,000 for Rally Stripes, I would look around before I committed, that's for sure.

Yeah, a $5k option at the factory on a $160K car amounts to a delta of 3%...backed by a factory warranty, done right.  If it's wrong, the factory won't ship it.  Add to that, complex curves of a Ford GT, and exotic materials.

Shelby Mustang, at a dealer, for $6,000 is (at $40k), an addition of 15% to the sticker, no complex curves, done at the dealer's paint shop (never as clean as factory).  If the dealer does it wrong, you might have a problem (as you would doing it at a body shop, too).  $6,000 for Rally Stripes, I would look around before I committed, that's for sure.

1328[/snapback]

I don't think they'll be anywhere near that on the GT500. They won't be that hard to paint. If they cost more than $1000 dollars it's not worth it. I'll do it myself - Krylon works pretty well. But seriously, a good bodyshop could do it and they will stand behind their work too. All I know is that if they curve around those ugly hood vents there's no way I'm getting them from the factory. I'll have the vents painted the body color of the car, and have the bodyshop paint the stripes right over the vents. It'll be labor intensive to mask the vents properly, but that might save that hood from being so ugly. The black plastic grills just look so cheap!

Yeah, a $5k option at the factory on a $160K car amounts to a delta of 3%...backed by a factory warranty, done right.  If it's wrong, the factory won't ship it.  Add to that, complex curves of a Ford GT, and exotic materials.

Shelby Mustang, at a dealer, for $6,000 is (at $40k), an addition of 15% to the sticker, no complex curves, done at the dealer's paint shop (never as clean as factory).  If the dealer does it wrong, you might have a problem (as you would doing it at a body shop, too).  $6,000 for Rally Stripes, I would look around before I committed, that's for sure.

1328[/snapback]

You're absolutely right! Only way I'd pay 6k Canadian or US for painted stripes would be if I bumped my head pretty hard before heading over to place my order. :blink:

What he was saying at the dealer is that the reason the stripes were going to be tape was to keep costs down. He then used the example of the GT and did say that it wouldn't be anywhere near that for the GT500 but it would still be more expensive than getting it done yourself.

You're absolutely right! Only way I'd pay 6k Canadian or US for painted stripes would be if I bumped my head pretty hard before heading over to place my order.  :blink:

What he was saying at the dealer is that the reason the stripes were going to be tape was to keep costs down. He then used the example of the GT and did say that it wouldn't be anywhere near that for the GT500 but it would still be more expensive than getting it done yourself.

1334[/snapback]

Ahh, I see. Got you. You're absolutely right...

Archived