TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question on the hood

buck_merged

Ok I absolutely love the cs6/gt-h hood and have been considering getting it for awhile. Well luckily I just bought a 2007 mustang gt and am looking to mod it very soon. My question however is whether or not it's possible to make this hood functional and effective at pulling some of the heat out of the engine bay. I've read about two different ways one was on these forums of someone who drilled multiple holes under the hood and then opened the area where the vents would be. The second was on another forum of someone who literally cut pieces out of the hood and placed plastic extractors to make it functional. The second unfortunately made the hood look horrible. My question is whether or not it is actually possible to make this hood functional and if it is possible how do i do it. Also whoever did it on these forums if you could show me what you did and let me know how it works that would be great. Thanks everyone for the help!! I really appreciate it.

chris

Ok I absolutely love the cs6/gt-h hood and have been considering getting it for awhile. Well luckily I just bought a 2007 mustang gt and am looking to mod it very soon. My question however is whether or not it's possible to make this hood functional and effective at pulling some of the heat out of the engine bay. I've read about two different ways one was on these forums of someone who drilled multiple holes under the hood and then opened the area where the vents would be. The second was on another forum of someone who literally cut pieces out of the hood and placed plastic extractors to make it functional. The second unfortunately made the hood look horrible. My question is whether or not it is actually possible to make this hood functional and if it is possible how do i do it. Also whoever did it on these forums if you could show me what you did and let me know how it works that would be great. Thanks everyone for the help!! I really appreciate it.

chris

Chris,

I remember I posted a picture of how it might be possible to do it. I don’t know of anyone who has done it yet. Your biggest challenge would be to do it while still maintaining the structural integrity of the hood. Do you have a link or picture to the hood that has the modification?

Anthony

• 1 month later...

New Question:

I am waiting for SAI to install the CS hood on my Shelby GT. I want to add a hood strut kit and remove the prop rod. I think I have decided on the Steeda kit. It seems the least offensive of the ones that don't require drilling and rivets. My question for those that have installed the CS hood, Does it have the same mounting holes as the stock hood? Will I be able to use the Steeda kit? Or, does anybody suggest an alternative?

Thank You,

Chris

New Question:

I am waiting for SAI to install the CS hood on my Shelby GT. I want to add a hood strut kit and remove the prop rod. I think I have decided on the Steeda kit. It seems the least offensive of the ones that don't require drilling and rivets. My question for those that have installed the CS hood, Does it have the same mounting holes as the stock hood? Will I be able to use the Steeda kit? Or, does anybody suggest an alternative?

Thank You,

Chris

Hey Chris, the Steeda kit works fine, I have it on mine and everything does line up to stock. The only thing different for mine on the hood was we had to shim the hood to raise it a bit to be level with the fenders which is normal across the board so far from what most have said. They also come with a little rubber door stop (little clear stops you find on cabinets) that stop the top part of the mount from digging into the paint.

The CS6 hood is slightly heavier then the stock however the shocks still hold it up fine when raised. I'll see if I can get some pics of the struts today.

Thanks I look forward to the pictures and will place my order. I want to have bracketts prepped before my car arrives. Can you tell me about the shims. Did the bracketts come with them? If not what did you use? Did you have to fabricate them? I would just have a shop install the hood struts but I want the bracketts painted black to match the hood and I may be on tight time line when my car arrives.

Hey Chris, didn't forget just have not had time to snap any pictures with a trip coming up this weekend. You would more then likely need the shims even if you continued using the stock hinges as the hood itself would rest against the plastic housing the wiper blade motor is in. Shelby told me that was normal as they had to shim the GT-H cars as well, or at least some of them. The shims thw bodyshop used are just thin pieces of metal with matching holes drilled. You can use washers as well, nothing custom needed.

• 1 month later...

chris

Someone please make this hood functional!! I don't mind paying a few hundred to do ti but I want to see someone else who has first and it worked without any issues!! PLEASE I'M BEGGING!!!!!!!!!

Someone please make this hood functional!! I don't mind paying a few hundred to do ti but I want to see someone else who has first and it worked without any issues!! PLEASE I'M BEGGING!!!!!!!!!

I've been designing my own insert, its top secret though. :D

I've been designing my own insert, its top secret though. :D

Insert? And do I need to beg more? You can pm me when your finished so no one else knows but if you don't tell me I would hate to have to hunt you down!!! I just ordered the hood and it's getting put on this week and one way or another at some point I am making this hood functional!

Insert? And do I need to beg more? You can pm me when your finished so no one else knows but if you don't tell me I would hate to have to hunt you down!!! I just ordered the hood and it's getting put on this week and one way or another at some point I am making this hood functional!

I'll post it here, its going to be a long time before I make it, I'm talking months.

• 1 month later...

I'll post it here, its going to be a long time before I make it, I'm talking months.

it's been months.... PLEASE now i really need it i have this hood now and had body shops work on it tons but it's rubbing on the engine (no supercharger or anything) ...... so i have to take it in to have it worked on and I need to make it functional at the same time... helps appreciated people

it's been months.... PLEASE now i really need it i have this hood now and had body shops work on it tons but it's rubbing on the engine (no supercharger or anything) ...... so i have to take it in to have it worked on and I need to make it functional at the same time... helps appreciated people

I assume it's rubbing on the plenum. If so, you need to cut out the hood scoop area underneath the hood (it's a large flat rectangular area, which has 2 small ridges running across it). Just cut the bottom out of the hood but don't cut the top part of the hood.

You can make it a functional heat extraction hood but not an air intake hood without major, major modifications. Have the fake rubber grill installed on the top of the hood at the front of the indentation, if it's not installed already. Park the car on a flat spot and take some water and pour it onto the top of the hood where the indentation is so that it fills the right and left sides of the indentations to overflowing. Note where the water level is on the fake grill. You can mark it with a piece of chalk or something that will come off easy.

!! NEXT: Remove and dry out ALL the water so you don't electrocute yourself, a towel works good !!

Get a drill bit the same size as the fake holes in the rubber grill. Drill out the holes in the fake grill above the water line. Consider giving yourself an extra row of holes not drilled out above the waterline in case of sloshing, etc., so that water doesn't run into the hood during a rain or washing. Hold the drill with your hand underneath it and between the drill and the hood so you don't scratch the paint (remove rings, watches etc.). Drill at a 'slightly' downward angle. Vacuum out all the drilling dust.

With the holes drilled out, the air will flow through the cut out portion of the hood scoop underneath and then out the drilled out holes. When it rains, the water will pool in the indented areas on the right and left until they fill up and the water will flow off to the right and left. That is why you drill the holes above the waterline.

As a functional heat extractor, it's not a direct route, so it's not terribly efficient but it is much better than nothing. Since the drilled out holes are the same size as the fake ones, it looks good.

If you are having heat issues elsewhere under the hood. Drill some holes in the bottom of the hood above those spots and the heat will flow out from there as well. Careful when locating those spots as there are optical illusions under the hood that make stuff look further or closer than it actually is with the hood down.

I will post pictures later today.

I was very conservative with drilling the holes in the grill. I probably could have gone a whole another row below the ones I did and still not have water leaking in.

101_0979.jpg

This is the cutout in the underside of the hood for the "hood scoop". Initially I had a body shop cut out half of it, but the plenum cover was still rubbing just further back now. So I took a power saw and carefully cut out the rest. The small square hole is where the supercharger was rubbing (and melting the epoxy out of the fibreglass). The 3 half inch holes were drilled above the MAF which was also getting very hot and melting epoxy. It wasn't rubbing so these are just heat relief holes. I have 3 more holes on the other side for something else that was getting hot.

101_0980.jpg

Archived