TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Production Delay

ESP

Anybody here about a production delay at SAI for the Shelby GT??

Originally, my salesman told me my Shelby GT would be in in early April. Now he tells me that that SAI is slowing or pausing production, and that my car may not arrive till late '07.

Conveniently, he has a black one (I ordered a white one) coming in that I can have earlier. He says the customer for the black one backed out.

Does this sound "fishy" to anyone else?

I really want a white one. The salesman is very cool. He has my deposit, but we have done no formal paperwork. It is an MSRP deal- so I do not plan on being difficult. I just want to confirm his position.

He did give me a VIN for the black one, but says there is no VIN for the white one yet(because Ford has not put it into production).

The car was ordered aroung 12/13.

Mike

Anybody here about a production delay at SAI for the Shelby GT??

Originally, my salesman told me my Shelby GT would be in in early April. Now he tells me that that SAI is slowing or pausing production, and that my car may not arrive till late '07.

Conveniently, he has a black one (I ordered a white one) coming in that I can have earlier. He says the customer for the black one backed out.

Does this sound "fishy" to anyone else?

I really want a white one. The salesman is very cool. He has my deposit, but we have done no formal paperwork. It is an MSRP deal- so I do not plan on being difficult. I just want to confirm his position.

He did give me a VIN for the black one, but says there is no VIN for the white one yet(because Ford has not put it into production).

The car was ordered aroung 12/13.

If he doesn't have the VIN I would say the delay is not on the Shelby end, sounds like a dealer allocation problem to me. Maybe he can trade the black one to another dealer for a white one. We do it all the time.

Mike

Get paperwork! A sales order, etc. If the car was ordered, as you say, you should have paperwork! The real issue here, I suspect, regardless of any delay, is that dealer ordered it in their name, NOT yours. Smart on their part as they get to keep you on a string just in case, and hedge their bets if they get a better deal or the price rises. They are under no obligation to sell the car to you no matter when it comes in. Don't wait till April or May to find out you don't have car.

Get paperwork! A sales order, etc. If the car was ordered, as you say, you should have paperwork! The real issue here, I suspect, regardless of any delay, is that dealer ordered it in their name, NOT yours. Smart on their part as they get to keep you on a string just in case, and hedge their bets if they get a better deal or the price rises. They are under no obligation to sell the car to you no matter when it comes in. Don't wait till April or May to find out you don't have car.

I got to agree. Get it in writing. I hope you have a receipt for the deposit. Without a written agreement you are the safety valve. What I mean by that is if they can't find someone to pay big money for it before it gets there they can always sell it to you. Of course that's shady, and maybe that's not your dealer, but they are out there!

I do have a reciept for the deposit. I understand the risk I am taking by not having it in writing. I definately do not get the feeling this guy is shady. I think he just made a mistake and is trying to make it right. He is sticking with his MSRP promise, when they could easily get more. He, and by extension his dealership, get some character points from me for the way they are handling it (even if they can't bring themselves to tell me the "real" problem). I wish I got that feeling from my local Ford dealerships. I can live, and be very happy, with a black one.

Thanks all for the input.

I do have a reciept for the deposit. I understand the risk I am taking by not having it in writing. I definately do not get the feeling this guy is shady. I think he just made a mistake and is trying to make it right. He is sticking with his MSRP promise, when they could easily get more. He, and by extension his dealership, get some character points from me for the way they are handling it (even if they can't bring themselves to tell me the "real" problem). I wish I got that feeling from my local Ford dealerships. I can live, and be very happy, with a black one.

Mike,

I've been ready the posts and I have to say something.

My advice to you - DON'T SETTLE. If white is the color you want, wait for or find a white one. Make your dealer get one for you. Deposits can be refundable; find a dealer who will get you a white one. You're putting alot of money into buying a Shelby; why settle for the color you didn't ask for because it's the one they have available? If you've been clear you want the white, they should make every effort to accomodate you. Every dealer I have worked with in the past has done whatever they could to make sure I was happy and got what I wanted on the car.

Think long and hard before you commit to the black one. How often will you ask yourself when you do see a white one, "I wanted a white one, but my dealer could only get me a black one...," or how often will you say that to others?

Sorry for the diatribe; both are Shelbys, but if we're going to commit to buy one, shouldn't we get what we want if it's possible?

John

Emotionally, I agree with your statement. I have three reasons to go for the black.

1. MSRP deals are hard to find on this car.

2. I must have the car before May, or I will need to wait to next year to get a Mustang.

3. I cannot have an auto or the Shaker 1000.

Really, The black does look awesome. It's just that I have three black cars already.

Mike,

My advice to you - DON'T SETTLE. If white is the color you want, wait for or find a white one. Make your dealer get one for you. Deposits can be refundable; find a dealer who will get you a white one. You're putting alot of money into buying a Shelby; why settle for the color you didn't ask for because it's the one they have available? If you've been clear you want the white, they should make every effort to accomodate you. Every dealer I have worked with in the past has done whatever they could to make sure I was happy and got what I wanted on the car.

Think long and hard before you commit to the black one. How often will you ask yourself when you do see a white one, "I wanted a white one, but my dealer could only get me a black one...," or how often will you say that to others?

John

I have to agree with John. You have time. There are plenty of dealers that don't have a clue about this car. Even your dealer, I'm sure, has more than one allotment! It just hasn't hit them yet. I will tell you from experience, and echo what John has said, I have been in the situation where I bought based upon "had to have" , "had to grab this one", etc., and everytime one drove by me I was bummed. Unless you're rich this for me is a big purchase and one I want to enjoy for MANY years. This isn't, I don't think, a car we'll be trading in, or selling anytime soon. Don't you want to be 100% satisfied? Funny, this reminded me of an o ld Star Trek episode where Spock says, "after a time you may find that having, isn't as pleasing a thing, as wanting".

Listen, I understand exactly what you are saying. I wish all customers were as reasonable as you are. For him to swap the black for a white his only expenses are time, the cost of the calls, and a driver. Offer to pay the drivers expense. What's a hundred or two at this point. Offer to make the calls for him. If you really don't mind the black go ahead and take it. I'm sure you'll enjoy either one.

Well... If this is the case, that there is a delay in production that makes perfect sense because my car has "arrived at Shelby" for a Month and a half now and I'm starting to get a little BITTER about this. I am hoping that the VIN tracker updates on my car soon, I ordered my car on 11/18/06 and I have yet to recieve it. I guess if we want more info on this matter we have to go to stangsunleashed.com because Amy seems to be posting there alot and not on a forum specifically for the Shelby GT.

Well... If this is the case, that there is a delay in production that makes perfect sense because my car has "arrived at Shelby" for a Month and a half now and I'm starting to get a little BITTER about this. I am hoping that the VIN tracker updates on my car soon,

exactly..no way they are doing 60 cars a day cuz some cars have been there a month of longer w/ no changes to status.

again...on matters that matter most to people....questions or concerns are met w/ silence instead of an honest yes because....or a simple no we are not behind....I think people could put up w/ some delays, but we aren't being told one way or another...and nothing is worse than silence. Took form them to start shipping instead of answering about the original ship day Amy mentioned. that day came and went along w/ about a week before an answer came forth in the form of we are shipping today, then the next....

I agree I can deal with them coming out and saying... look we ran into a problem and we are a little behind, I can deal with that. But when no one has the BALLS to come out and say what the HELL is going on out there it really P isses me off

I'm sure we are all very anxious for our cars, as I am.

However, less cars made = lower final production numbers for 2007 =more rarity= more valuable Shelby in years.=more desireable car.

Just my opinion and don't beat me up becuase my car in sitting in the lot in Vegas also!

;)

I'm sure we are all very anxious for our cars, as I am.

However, less cars made = lower final production numbers for 2007 =more rarity= more valuable Shelby in years.=more desireable car.

Just my opinion and don't beat me up becuase my car in sitting in the lot in Vegas also!

;)

Maybe they are producing 60 cars a day and are not delayed and just too busy to respond to stupid BS that some Ford dealer thinks he knows. Now dont get me wrong I want my car just as bad as you do but they are doing their best, its not like they are sitting in Vegas grinning saying I am going to hold up these 3 cars just so their owners will have to wait longer

Maybe they are producing 60 cars a day and are not delayed and just too busy to respond to stupid BS that some Ford dealer thinks he knows. Now dont get me wrong I want my car just as bad as you do but they are doing their best, its not like they are sitting in Vegas grinning saying I am going to hold up these 3 cars just so their owners will have to wait longer

Guys, Stop!

First, if you dont have a vin or order number your not in the system. second we are not delayled. The cars started arriving before we had all the parts and all the EPA cert certificates and carb. We are doing about 50 a day, and our goal is 60 a day. we have been in production for about 3 -4 weeks. We are shipping 6-10 shipments a day all over the country. We are not on material hold for wheels.

We plan to make cars thru June july timeframe. Hope this helps

Amy

Archived