TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Between Ford/dealership/SAI, I'm starting to have some of the "fun" taken out of this.

greengiant

I've got a white car on order. I'm still interested for sure, but some of the fun anticipation has been taken out of this process by gaffes by ford and sai, and a general lack of communication. Some will think I'm crying, but I do think some of this is legit from a frustration standpoint. I fully expect the big whine responses, but feel free. From a business standpoint, these are valid concerns. Really only one change I suspect was shelby's decision.

Ford/SAI (mainly ford)

1. The running change to black wheels on the black car. The polished looked better period. Then, with what little information my dealer had I had to dig it out myself after having ordered a black car, assuming silver wheels. Fortunately I was able to switch to white. With the wheels I mainly blame FORD. There is a shortage on the 18 inch polished wheels so I'm guessing they forced the black wheels down shelby's throat. Then another change came.

2. The change to the front bumper, again, done after I had ordered the car and the only reason I found out was again my own research. Dealer never would have known (as I'm holding their hand on this anyways). I really, really feel the original front end looked better with the painted lower bumper. Much sleeker, and classier IMO. Again, just my opinion. But I ordered my car based on one look, and it was changed. I really thought the lower grill/lights on the gt-h convertable concept looked great and would with that bumper. Now no one has a clear answer on that option. But the change to the bumper was a bummer, and done after the order. Dealerships still seem to know little about this. This is the one I think would be on Shelby's end but could also see it being FORD saying that using the CS scoops and rear, you get the front end and like it.

3. The ongoing price changes and lack of information for dealerships, causing all sorts of pricing problems.

4. The way they put the new grill over the old one is a bit of a shortcut.

Ford/Knucklehead dealerships.

1. Pricing debacles. GGT, dealers having no clue about the shelby costs etc.

2. Why the dealer had to code the ship to point, when all 54U packages are going to vegas are beyond me. While asking my dealership about 100 times to make sure this was done... they didn't. This apparently causes the car to be held, even if assigned to a railcar (or this is the story I'm getting, NOT sheby's fault). My car is built, but sitting. Of course, had I not called my dealer yesterday it would have continued to sit apparently. As they finally got a hold of the rep, who is coming in tomorrow. Someone has to explain to me why the dealer had to change the ship code. I'm not a computer genius, but I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to have the 54u package when ordered, just trip a code to get it to vegas automatically.

This could also be my dealer stalling as they signed a price deal with me I expect they want out of now...

Now on the FLIP side.

1. Shelby is apparently working on helping us get our cars at a reasonable price if we get mod's done. BIG kudo's.

2. John is always helpful on the phone.

3. Amy is out here when she can be. Some legit questions are left unanswered or unseen, but credit ot any president being out here.

Really, most of the problems likely stem with Ford. I was bummed about the wheel change, but liked the white also. However, my biggest gripe is that front bumper change, that I wouldn't have known about if I wasn't out on the net learning myself.

I still want the car. Should be fun to drive. I guess to me 40k is a LOT of money and for that I expect superior communication out of all parites involved with my purchase. I feel that I'm doing more work than I should, just to assure I get the car I ordered. I also feel that at that price, when a significant change is made (front bumper), my dealership should have been notified, to immediately let me know.

The bumper and wheel changes bummed me out. Now, it's just like if I wasn't babysitting my dealership, who gets very little help from Ford every step of the way this could get fubared.

It takes just a bit of the edge off of the excitment for me. Please don't take this a whining, I know I can walk from the deal or sell it easy. I just think Ford really should be striving for customer satisfaction in a big way these days.

I agree with alot of what you said. Especially the black wheels and the change in the lower fascia. I have a black car coming so it isn't much of difference. however, I was supposed to have a white car partially because of the wheels. However, the was miscommunication inside my dealership during an employees abscene and I had to make the descion to take the black car or go hunting for a MSRP deal somwhere else, in Mid January. I ordered on 11/28.

However, I am not sure about your point on putting the new grill over the old grill. If you look in the Gallery, several of the cars have no grill on them and on one of the other threads a members new arrival shows a picture of the front and I don't see the old grill behind it. Maybe one of the lucky members who has their car could enlighten us or maybe somebody from SAI.

I agree 100% with the not-so-jolly greengiant. I have personally held the hand of the two local, and major, dealerships to try to help them understand what this car is and how the process works. Unfortunately, both now want to put their expected Shelby GTs (one seems to have ordered their first car based upon my "wish list" as discussed when I initially approached them about ordering a car...and I'm currently "number 1" on their list, what good that does me) beside their current GT-500s (two of which they have held now for about a month) and ask for $10K of ADM on the former and $20K of ADM on the latter.

I feel like I have wasted a lot of my time here, and all I have to show for it is two dealerships that I WILL NOT ever buy from again (which is stupid of them as they know that I've had 1989, 1995, 2000 and 2003 GTs, most of which I bought from one of them, and currently own a 2004 F-150 SCrew and 1968 J-code fastback...so I buy A LOT of Fords).

My love for Mustangs in general, and Shelbys in particular, is varying inversely with my loathing of dealers right now.

I agree as well.. as a newbie to Mustang's in general, I became aware of the Shelby GT through the GT-H and Car & Driver. It took me all of about a half hour online to figure out what the car was, when it was coming, and how to order it. All Ford needs to do is send a Dealer bulletin or mass e-mail saying "visit shelbyautos.com for more details about the cars" - the dealers can't spend 10 minutes doing this? There has to be at least one Mustang enthuiast at each dealer, no?

My brother and I both decided to try our luck at getting an MSRP deal from a local dealer who I have a business relationship with. Assuming the owner would give us a deal, (since he beats me up when he buys from me) he instead decided to give us deals with 3k ADM - to boot, he had absolutely no clue about the cars. Initially, his sales manager claimed they were legitimiate GT-H's, with Gold stripes and all! We had to clue him in. I pointed him to shelbyautos.com.

By far, though, the most incredible fact is that these dealers who really have no clue about the car are using eBay as the judge as to what the car is worth. Fine, eBay can be a good judge, but at least use sold statistics, not listing statitstics! When I called the dealer to try to negotiate off the $3k ADM, he told me, "look, on eBay they're going for $45,000" - my response was simply, "no, guy, they're LISTED for $45,000 - they're not selling for that - They have ZERO bids!" Flame away for this comment, but if market conditions were justifiable and these cars were legitamately selling on eBay or anywhere else for that matter over list, I'd have no problem paying him the $3k. But my gut is telling me that once these cars do arrive, they'll be had for under list - not wishing that on anyone who paid over list, but the cars just don't seem to have the "hype" the GT500 had, and subsequently the outrageous ADM's.

These cars were not emotional decisions for us, so not being able to get the cars at list is a bummer but not a huge deal. I assume that once the cars start arriving in showrooms and sitting on dealer's lots floorplanned, losing money by the day, the dealers will unload them at MSRP or less.

If that happens, sign me up. In the meantime, I can be patient. Especially since their is an inch of snow on the ground outside my house right now.

Many valid points raised here. Black wheels & Bumper- Not really unusual for production cars to be slightly different than prototypes. I don't know what the lead time is for magazine publications but I'm sure all teh photos were shot months before the final production specs were set.

Price changes- Final/any pricing wasn't released till after production started. The comunication does indeed S_ _ K! I really don't understand the shortage of siver wheels. It was the same last year. If their supplier can't meet demand get another one! I thought it might have been due to availability of tires but there are 2 different 18" wheels available on non SGT and they have different production percentages. Somebody must have decided the black wheels looked cool because they could have just as easily have produced them in silver or chrome. Seems like it would be more expensive to use black as in is a non oem wheel (in the sense it isn't used on any other Ford product) and the cost has to be recouped across only 4-5 thousand units. (guessing that's going to be about the number of black cars) If you really hate them it shouldn't be to hard or expensive to find silver or aftermarket/used wheels. If your not worried about keeping them for collectability reasons you could probably find a guy w/ a regular Black GT to swap you even. I'm waiting till I see them to decide if I like them.

You can't place the order w/o the ship to code, the computer won't let you. If you put in the 54 u code it will prompt you to put in the ship code. You can't get off the order entry page w/o it, much less order it. If it's "sitting somewhere" it's not because they forgot to put the code in. It's either on a quality hold, or you are being fed a line.

Most dealers will only get one, especially the clueless ones that will be late to the party. I believe March is the latest production month available for these and they are already schedualing end of Feb. I was able to get several and I think the only reason was that so many dealers didn't know about them, or forgot about them, that I was able to get them over a 4 or 5 week period. If there are a thousand allocated in a week and only 800 dealers have them in the order bank the guys that have extra ons in there can get them.

I put the bug in my dealers ear back in september, they had no clue. Accused me of confusing it w/ the GT500...one of the guys was smirking all smartassy like I was an idot.

I sent them a bunch of info when ordering opened up...and they said they didn't know they can't get one ordered. I sent them more info. I gave them a couple weeks to see if they figured it out..sent an email..no reply.

Of course later the guy I talked to sends me a mass email about the hungriest salesman @ xxx ford will do anything blah blah...except get info to actually sell a car.

I agree as well.. as a newbie to Mustang's in general, I became aware of the Shelby GT through the GT-H and Car & Driver. It took me all of about a half hour online to figure out what the car was, when it was coming, and how to order it. All Ford needs to do is send a Dealer bulletin or mass e-mail saying "visit shelbyautos.com for more details about the cars" - the dealers can't spend 10 minutes doing this? There has to be at least one Mustang enthuiast at each dealer, no?

My brother and I both decided to try our luck at getting an MSRP deal from a local dealer who I have a business relationship with. Assuming the owner would give us a deal, (since he beats me up when he buys from me) he instead decided to give us deals with 3k ADM - to boot, he had absolutely no clue about the cars. Initially, his sales manager claimed they were legitimiate GT-H's, with Gold stripes and all! We had to clue him in. I pointed him to shelbyautos.com.

By far, though, the most incredible fact is that these dealers who really have no clue about the car are using eBay as the judge as to what the car is worth. Fine, eBay can be a good judge, but at least use sold statistics, not listing statitstics! When I called the dealer to try to negotiate off the $3k ADM, he told me, "look, on eBay they're going for $45,000" - my response was simply, "no, guy, they're LISTED for $45,000 - they're not selling for that - They have ZERO bids!" Flame away for this comment, but if market conditions were justifiable and these cars were legitamately selling on eBay or anywhere else for that matter over list, I'd have no problem paying him the $3k. But my gut is telling me that once these cars do arrive, they'll be had for under list - not wishing that on anyone who paid over list, but the cars just don't seem to have the "hype" the GT500 had, and subsequently the outrageous ADM's.

These cars were not emotional decisions for us, so not being able to get the cars at list is a bummer but not a huge deal. I assume that once the cars start arriving in showrooms and sitting on dealer's lots floorplanned, losing money by the day, the dealers will unload them at MSRP or less.

If that happens, sign me up. In the meantime, I can be patient. Especially since their is an inch of snow on the ground outside my house right now.

I agree with njcycleguy. Dealers are using Ebay's listing price and not the sold price as a guide on the Shelby GT, and the car is simply not getting the hype that the GT500's are getting. If anyone is looking for a stock Shelby GT, just be patient and I think the dealers will start to unload them at less than MSRP in the next little while. Demand directs pricing.

I agree with njcycleguy. Dealers are using Ebay's listing price and not the sold price as a guide on the Shelby GT, and the car is simply not getting the hype that the GT500's are getting. If anyone is looking for a stock Shelby GT, just be patient and I think the dealers will start to unload them at less than MSRP in the next little while. Demand directs pricing.

Sorry all! I wish I had seen this thread before I posted mine!

What can I say but echo what has already been said. I agree about the silly black wheels. It was the one thing that moved me to switch to white as well. Reminded me of those old cop cars with black wheels. But like anything beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! For example I do like the new bumper. It's the same one as the GT-H (at least looks like it) and when I rented a GTH and sat it side by side with my GT I liked the lower look better, but that's just me! My gripe is the loss of the rear deck spoiler which I never noticed until I ordered and saw it deleted by the 54U. As soon as all this paperwork shuffle is done I'm going to call SAI and asked to have it put back on (they sell take offs) and have the C6 hood put on. Again...beauty is in the eye...however I would like to see more flexible options since it looks as though the cars are shipping from Ford mostly complete exterior wise. The lower bumper is on, the side scoops installed, the rear spoiler deleted, and the wheels, so why the problem? Who knows...seems someone needs to be a little "bolder" to me.

In the end it's sad that a program that got "Ford" people excited has turned into a fiasco in so many ways. Instead its leaving, for many of us, a bad taste in our mouths. I have considered dropping the whole idea and just adding to my current GT and saying to h-ll with it. I already worry about what I may miss after the Camaro comes out and Ford responds. At one time, because of the Shelby name, and having a piece of Mustang history outweighed the rest, it's getting to a point where that's just not true anymore.

I'm hoping that the Ford product/program manager sees these issues and takes some positive efforts on their end. I would hope SAI would push from their end as well. Seems to me is the initial dealer rush, those that even know about the car, passes the rest of the forecast will suffer as those of us that want to buy are held at bay with crazy ADM. For SAI that means a good first run, maybe recoup start-up costs etc., but a less than stellar second run where I would expect the real SAI profit lies.

In other words these dealers are killing what should have been the next wave of orders. Of course I could be full of it and not know what I am talking about and my product management experience means nothing in this space.

Good luck all!

I'm conivinced the front bumper change was a Ford move. Likely to simplfy things, or save costs.

It's the California special front end, and rear end now. With the side scoops.

The 54 u package, is really an upcharge to get the CS scoops, rear, and front now. With the polished wheels, 3.55 axle, and no logos. No floormats either. Oh, and the spoiler delete.

Really, it's cheaper for ford than a California special by far, since you get the normal interiors.

I liked the other front end better, it was more unique in that the car had CS, stock, and Shelby styling cues.

Really, this car works out well for Ford no matter what.

Shelby makes good cash too. We are all buying, regardless of the crap.

It's just too bad Ford didn't communicate later and think about future sales again, or leaving an impression. This is my first Ford purchased in over 10 years.

I agree the front end thing is in the eye of the beholder for sure.

The GT-H, uses the stock front end, not the CS that the shelby gt gets.

Shelby seems to be giving less information out recently also, less responsive to posts, and less information in them.

Hopefully, just busy working things out, building, and getting that shipping issue taken care of if we do mods.

I've decided if my dealer tries to hose me on my deal, I'm likely getting a Foose of some sort.

Sorry all! I wish I had seen this thread before I posted mine!

What can I say but echo what has already been said. I agree about the silly black wheels. It was the one thing that moved me to switch to white as well. Reminded me of those old cop cars with black wheels. But like anything beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! For example I do like the new bumper. It's the same one as the GT-H (at least looks like it) and when I rented a GTH and sat it side by side with my GT I liked the lower look better, but that's just me! My gripe is the loss of the rear deck spoiler which I never noticed until I ordered and saw it deleted by the 54U. As soon as all this paperwork shuffle is done I'm going to call SAI and asked to have it put back on (they sell take offs) and have the C6 hood put on. Again...beauty is in the eye...however I would like to see more flexible options since it looks as though the cars are shipping from Ford mostly complete exterior wise. The lower bumper is on, the side scoops installed, the rear spoiler deleted, and the wheels, so why the problem? Who knows...seems someone needs to be a little "bolder" to me.

In the end it's sad that a program that got "Ford" people excited has turned into a fiasco in so many ways. Instead its leaving, for many of us, a bad taste in our mouths. I have considered dropping the whole idea and just adding to my current GT and saying to h-ll with it. I already worry about what I may miss after the Camaro comes out and Ford responds. At one time, because of the Shelby name, and having a piece of Mustang history outweighed the rest, it's getting to a point where that's just not true anymore.

I'm hoping that the Ford product/program manager sees these issues and takes some positive efforts on their end. I would hope SAI would push from their end as well. Seems to me is the initial dealer rush, those that even know about the car, passes the rest of the forecast will suffer as those of us that want to buy are held at bay with crazy ADM. For SAI that means a good first run, maybe recoup start-up costs etc., but a less than stellar second run where I would expect the real SAI profit lies.

In other words these dealers are killing what should have been the next wave of orders. Of course I could be full of it and not know what I am talking about and my product management experience means nothing in this space.

Good luck all!

You won't get the factory spoiler from Shelby, it's not a "take off". If it was there would be holes in the trunk lid. You have several options available. I think Shelby has their own spoiler you could get. You can buy the factory spoiler from the dealer, you could get a GT500 spoiler from the dealer as well. There are a ton of spoilers available on the aftermarket. Roush makes a nice 3pc ducktail spoiler as well. Roush, is that a dirty word on here?, LOL :lol:

You won't get the factory spoiler from Shelby, it's not a "take off". If it was there would be holes in the trunk lid. You have several options available. I think Shelby has their own spoiler you could get. You can buy the factory spoiler from the dealer, you could get a GT500 spoiler from the dealer as well. There are a ton of spoilers available on the aftermarket. Roush makes a nice 3pc ducktail spoiler as well. Roush, is that a dirty word on here?, LOL :lol:

No,Shelby changed their mind on that too. Only spoiler they will offer from the Shelby factory is the stock GT spoiler... which seems to make very little sense given the delete.

Would have been nice to get that Shelby spoiler.

Here is where Shelby IS selling the stock spoiler for $399

http://shelbyautos.com/ShowDetail.asp?id=40

As for take-off, if you read my post you would see I know they delete the spoiler and it's never put on, as was assuming the fact Shelby was selling these meant they came from some other projects.

Duck tail? Humm..... NOT! LOL

Here is where Shelby IS selling the stock spoiler for $399

http://shelbyautos.com/ShowDetail.asp?id=40

As for take-off, if you read my post you would see I know they delete the spoiler and it's never put on, as was assuming the fact Shelby was selling these meant they came from some other projects.

Duck tail? Humm..... NOT! LOL

I'm convinced the front bumper change was a Ford move. Likely to simplfy things, or save costs.

It's the California special front end, and rear end now. With the side scoops.

I think the omission of paint on the front end of the white cars was purely a Shelby decision. I think it was done for 2 reasons. One was to cut costs for Shelby as they would have had to paint it at SAI. I think they also realized that white is going to get scratched in a hurry and will look like crap over time. Look at the GT-H and GT/CS forums where owners are saying that they constantly scrape on parking curbs, speed bumps, driveways etc. I had to touch up my 77 Cobra II front spoiler every other month.

I liked the painted look better, but am not unhappy with the black because of the scraping issue. I also prefer the GT/CS rear fascia to the stock bumber used on the prototypes. The "powered by Ford" fender badge was also an improvement over the stock GT badge however I was hoping for the CS (Carroll Shelby) logo.

Mark

I think the omission of paint on the front end of the white cars was purely a Shelby decision. I think it was done for 2 reasons. One was to cut costs for Shelby as they would have had to paint it at SAI. I think they also realized that white is going to get scratched in a hurry and will look like crap over time. Look at the GT-H and GT/CS forums where owners are saying that they constantly scrape on parking curbs, speed bumps, driveways etc. I had to touch up my 77 Cobra II front spoiler every other month.

I liked the painted look better, but am not unhappy with the black because of the scraping issue. I also prefer the GT/CS rear fascia to the stock bumber used on the prototypes. The "powered by Ford" fender badge was also an improvement over the stock GT badge however I was hoping for the CS (Carroll Shelby) logo.

Mark

From what I understand, and I will let Amy or someone confirm or deny, the front fascia is installed and painted by Ford prior to shipping to SAI. I only say this as I have seen pictures of what I was told were cars getting loaded to go to Vegas and they already had the front fascia and the side scoops installed and painted.

Which makes sense from a paint job consistency stand point!

But I could be wrong and your milage may vary!

Archived