TEAM SHELBY FORUM

care of new Shelby GT

LHABES

Hi! I am a Newby here, but have been lurking for two weeks since ordering my Shelby GT. I have a pretty baxic set of questions on upkeep and care of the exterior/interior/engine compartment. I have restored a 64 1/2 mustang D code conv. in the past and took good care of its appearancs, but never had a "new classic" What steps should we take on the overall appearance of our cars,? The second question has to do with documentation. I assume that means all paperwork from the purchase forward, but dows that include all service records and...?

I think a general discussion about type of products to wash, wax, tire care, engine care, etc. may be of benefit for most of us.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi! I am a Newby here, but have been lurking for two weeks since ordering my Shelby GT. I have a pretty baxic set of questions on upkeep and care of the exterior/interior/engine compartment. I have restored a 64 1/2 mustang D code conv. in the past and took good care of its appearancs, but never had a "new classic" What steps should we take on the overall appearance of our cars,? The second question has to do with documentation. I assume that means all paperwork from the purchase forward, but dows that include all service records and...?

I think a general discussion about type of products to wash, wax, tire care, engine care, etc. may be of benefit for most of us.

Thanks,

Jeff

definately include all service records, anytime something is done to the car, even if it is just routine checkup, keep a record of it. As far as washing, NEVER go to one of them drive thru car washes. Wash it yourself, if it is absolutely necessary to go to a carwash, go to one of the hand wash places. Dont drive it in the rain or moist weather and park it in a garage, in the garage a car cover will keep the finish protected from accidental bumps etc.... As far as keeping the engine compartment clean.... hmmm someone else can help u there, never been very good at it myself.... As far as what soap to use, i have heard mixed things, some people say use a mild dish soap, others say never use dish soap... The one thing that is pretty universal is that using a product espescially designed for cars is NEVER a bad thing.... I wouldnt be too concerned about tire care, since the tires are a non-shelby part of the car and can be easily replaced. For a nice look, i like the black magic tire shine, a lot of it is prefrence e.g. degree of shine. Pick up some armorall tire cleaner, keeps the surface of the tire clean, and some rim cleaner/polish, there is nothing worse then dirty rims... Once again wax is personal prefrence, I like turtle wax. But no waxing within the first month or so, b.c the paint hasnt had time to cure yet. One other thing, when waxing be careful around the stripes, since they are not painted on there is a tendency for wax to accumulate against them, which looks crappy and is really hard to remove

Hope that helps

GTHERO

Archived