TEAM SHELBY FORUM

shelby mustang vs shelby cobra

dmagner1

.....Well, I think I understood the questions just fine. I'll assume since we are in the Shelby GT forum that you are asking about the modern cars. Therefore, Ford has recentlynamed its SVT Mustang the Cobra and they have since at least the late 80's (I think). So, along comes the 2007 GT500. It went through many names including Cobra and Shelby GT500 Cobra. The final product is known as the Shelby GT500 but displays Cobra symbols. I think I even read a post from Amy that the actual name includes SVT, Shelby, GT500 and Cobra in the name. I think the term Shelby Cobra is perhaps inacurate when it comes to the 2007 GT500 but it has the snakes on it so I'm sure it is an accepted term.

Next, comes the 2007 Shelby GT. If you look at the pictures there are no Cobra symbols on the car. I asked Amy in another thread if that was on purpose. Well of course it was on purpose. Everything that happens on a product with this high of a profile is on purpose. She wrote it was to keep the two cars, GT500 and Shelby GT, from being confused. That hasn't worked quite so well. Therefore it is a Shelby Mustang.

As far as the license PLATE...I am sure there is no right or wrong. There will only be opinions. My ordered plate is "SNKD PNY." Hopefully that reads "snaked pony." Meaning it's a Mustang modified by Shelby. I have decided to put it on my Shelby GT and I have also decided to include options from Shelby that have Cobra symbolism. My opinion, no the Shelby GT is not a Cobra to me neither is the GT500. There is only one "Cobra" and it's model number starts with "CSX" not "SVT." However, the Cobra symbol is synomonous with Mr. Shelby and therefore Cobra symbols and the word snake are acceptable on a Shelby GT.

Sorry for the length but I don't think it could be helped. OxyMoron please forgive any spelling or grammar.

Unless you're really into this stuff it can be confusing. Here's a breakdown of models that might help clear things up:

Shelby Cobra - 1962 to 1966, then 1997-Present

Includes CSX2000, CSX3000, CSX4000, CSX7000 and CSX8000-Series

The latter three are currently being built in Las Vegas, Nevada and all bear the round Cobra logo.

Shelby GT500 - 2007 and 2008

Ford/Shelby collaboration based on Mustang, bears the coiled-snake Cobra logo.

Shelby GT-H, Shelby GT - 2006-Present

Ford/Shelby collaboration based on Mustang, no Cobra logos used.

All the above are Shelby vehicles, and over the last 44 years there have been many others. The term "Cobra" has been used in a variety of ways down through the years so it's understandable, but I hope this clears some of it up for you. This forum and our main website, http://www.shelbyautos.com, provide lots of good information regarding the different models bearing the Cobra name or its symbolism today.

-Rich Sparkman

Unless you're really into this stuff it can be confusing. Here's a breakdown of models that might help clear things up:

Shelby Cobra - 1962 to 1966, then 1997-Present

Includes CSX2000, CSX3000, CSX4000, CSX7000 and CSX8000-Series

The latter three are currently being built in Las Vegas, Nevada and all bear the round Cobra logo.

Shelby GT500 - 2007 and 2008

Ford/Shelby collaboration based on Mustang, bears the coiled-snake Cobra logo.

Shelby GT-H, Shelby GT - 2006-Present

Ford/Shelby collaboration based on Mustang, no Cobra logos used.

All the above are Shelby vehicles, and over the last 44 years there have been many others. The term "Cobra" has been used in a variety of ways down through the years so it's understandable, but I hope this clears some of it up for you. This forum and our main website, http://www.shelbyautos.com, provide lots of good information regarding the different models bearing the Cobra name or its symbolism today.

-Rich Sparkman

Just one other point, Cobra is the Shelby world is a Cobra car, not a mustang. Ford did make mustangs called cobra, but we aren't doing that...

Amy

im a little confused what is a shelby mustang and what is a shelby cobra and can i have a license call snake bite or is this not not a tru cobra Amy can yiu shed a little light

thanks

thanks for the info and i cant wait for the "shelby" to come in.and also thank you to carrol for a chance to own "REAL" shelby not just a remake of a gt 500 on a production line

by ford

How about a cobra emblem on the CS6? For the guys building CS6s, most of them are taking off the old "pony" fender emblems and discovering guide pin holes. In my case I put the cobra emblems on to cover the holes. Is this acceptable? I was always under the impression that the cobra emblems belonged to Shelby.

cobraud3se0.jpg

78651te9ic5.jpg

cobra1au9uj0.jpg

cs6blue131024dq4dt4.jpg

Archived