TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For those of you driving back from Vegas - what about break-in?

ManyMustangs

One thing I'm curious about for those of you who are picking up your car in Vegas and driving it home: what do you think about the fact that the worst way to break in a new engine is thru highway/freeway driving. Personally, even though I am here in SoCal and Vegas would only be 300-350 mile drive home for me, I have always heard that the best way to break in a new motor is thru lots of varied speed driving, not fixed-RPM speed for hundreds of miles on the freeway. In fact, I have usually tried to stay off the freeway (except for brief bursts to seat the rings) during the first 1000 miles of any new car I have ever owned, and usually stick to the surface streets as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm just asking about others opinions out of curiosity, but if I ever do in fact end up with my Shelby GT (still no build date or VIN yet, just an order confirmation and DORA with no dates), I will pick it up at the dealer, break it in here for the first 1000 miles, and then drive back to Vegas and drop it off for any mods. My two cents worth...

One thing I'm curious about for those of you who are picking up your car in Vegas and driving it home: what do you think about the fact that the worst way to break in a new engine is thru highway/freeway driving. Personally, even though I am here in SoCal and Vegas would only be 300-350 mile drive home for me, I have always heard that the best way to break in a new motor is thru lots of varied speed driving, not fixed-RPM speed for hundreds of miles on the freeway. In fact, I have usually tried to stay off the freeway (except for brief bursts to seat the rings) during the first 1000 miles of any new car I have ever owned, and usually stick to the surface streets as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm just asking about others opinions out of curiosity, but if I ever do in fact end up with my Shelby GT (still no build date or VIN yet, just an order confirmation and DORA with no dates), I will pick it up at the dealer, break it in here for the first 1000 miles, and then drive back to Vegas and drop it off for any mods. My two cents worth...

My wife and I are going to drive it back to Florida. We've calculated its about a 2500 mile trip home. We'll break it in during the first 500 miles by varying the RPMs and then we'll cruise on back home. The cars are built today, I don't think we'll have a problem with it at all.

.....if you couldn't tell from my name, I am in SoCal.....I haven't planned it out yet but I am going to avoid the 15. I was thinking leave Vegas through Henderson and Boulder and down to Laughlin. From Laughlin I am going to head into Needles. From there I am going to take as much of Route 66 that is left down into San Bernadino. I could then surface street it all the way to Orange Co but more likely I will take the the 60 into Chino and then finish the drive through Carbon Canyon.....It may take 8-10 hours but it ought to be very cool. I will very my speed often on the parts where I have to take a freeway.

My wife and I are going to drive it back to Florida. We've calculated its about a 2500 mile trip home. We'll break it in during the first 500 miles by varying the RPMs and then we'll cruise on back home. The cars are built today, I don't think we'll have a problem with it at all.

Similar to what I will be doing. Plus my wife and I will be dropping by to see my Mother in Texas as well so I will get some city driving in Dallas. I have heard before that newer engine designs do not need as much of a break in time like they have in the past. Either way a few burst of speed, some testing of the brakes, etc during the first few miles should be good.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I know I may be depriving myself of a great experience but today I thought some more about how I am going to get my S-GT from Vegas to SoCal. I think I may rent a trailer and borrow my parents truck and dare I say trailer it home. My decision has more to do with the getting the stock hood and wheels home then the drive. I am looking forward to the drive but I could save on shipping and headaches by trailering the car this one time.

Archived