TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shipping from Shelby back to dealer questions

redbirdfan1

Many of us buy the car at a dealer who is in a dif state than where we reside. What are the rules or guidelines for shipping after the Shelby modifications? I'm talking no special aftermarket stuff like the supercharger since most of us know that is a Vegas pick up or private shipper.

But my dealer as it stands seems to think they can't have the car shipped elsewhere and it has to return to them which seems like total crap for the customer not to mention wasted time and money. I would think it could be shipped to any dealer once Shelby is done w/ it and they are just confused.

any help and maybe a contact for such matters would be greatly appreciated.

Am i the only one w/ this issue?

Many of us buy the car at a dealer who is in a dif state than where we reside. What are the rules or guidelines for shipping after the Shelby modifications? I'm talking no special aftermarket stuff like the supercharger since most of us know that is a Vegas pick up or private shipper.

But my dealer as it stands seems to think they can't have the car shipped elsewhere and it has to return to them which seems like total crap for the customer not to mention wasted time and money. I would think it could be shipped to any dealer once Shelby is done w/ it and they are just confused.

just my .02

But if you bought your Shelby at a Dealer say in New York (for price or availabilty), it is shipped to Vegas for Shelby Upgrades. And you live in ??-Florida-?? or, Shelby ships the car to you (at your house "NOT") to a dealer near you, that dealer has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS DEAL. How does the dealer in New York (the SELLING DEALER) have any CONTROL of Delivery or Filling the car with Prem Fuel, or making SURE you are Completely Satisfied with the Car & Process, Paperwork, Payment , Etc. If you pick the Car up in Vegas at SAI, who is going to fill with fuel and prep for final Delivery to the Customer? At least THE SELLING DEALER has a small hope the SAI will make the Delivery process Flawless to the Customer. Just Asking??

I don't care about premium fuel or any of that. Filling it myself is much cheaper than paying 600+ to have it shipped AGAIN to a port near me. Thats just plain retarded. Its called a courtesy ship and it happens quite a lot in the car biz. Why it wouldn't apply to a Shelby GT is beyond me.

Nothing changes. the dealer is in one state many states away from me. the car gets shipped there, I don't see it till I pick it up after its been reshipped. How is the dealer I bought it from going to make sure I'm any more statisfied w./ my car in this situation? Are they really going to top it off to then have a private shipper pick it up? I would doubt it.

Please I'll wait a logical reply as to what benefit the dealer and customer have of having it shipped back to them to then reship it.

Called to address this situation but have not heard back. We have purchased cars from various dealers so have a real interest in not double shipping. Called Ford and have not heard back. Just because Shelby is listed as the Ship-Thru there is no place to put another drop point when the dealer orders the car. We did not have any problem diverting the GT500.

Called to address this situation but have not heard back. We have purchased cars from various dealers so have a real interest in not double shipping. Called Ford and have not heard back. Just because Shelby is listed as the Ship-Thru there is no place to put another drop point when the dealer orders the car. We did not have any problem diverting the GT500.

Please update us when you get a reply from Ford. I really can't see any reason for not being able to divert the gt.

As a Ford dealer I can answer this one. It is possible to drop ship to another dealer. The codes have to be entered at the time of the order. If you bought a unit that was in production it would have been to late. Your dealer would have to find a dealer near you that was willing to accept the unit as a "courtesy delivery" Dealers are under no obligation by the factory to do this. Those that do it charge a fee which your selling dealer would pass on to you. The fee at our dealership is $450.00 which isn't that much less than what your shipping is. In addition you would have pobably been required to pay for the car up front so that it would arrive at the receiving dealer pre-paid. (since it's not the receiving dealers car they wouldn't be collecting any money) The interest paid while you were waiting fro the car would have more than ofset the difference between a courtesy delivery fee and what the shipper charges. You could have bought the car locally, or you could pick it up at the dealer and drive home. 600 bucks isn't alot to pay for a car you really want and might not otherwise be available.

As a Ford dealer I can answer this one. It is possible to drop ship to another dealer. The codes have to be entered at the time of the order. If you bought a unit that was in production it would have been to late. Your dealer would have to find a dealer near you that was willing to accept the unit as a "courtesy delivery" Dealers are under no obligation by the factory to do this. Those that do it charge a fee which your selling dealer would pass on to you. The fee at our dealership is $450.00 which isn't that much less than what your shipping is. In addition you would have pobably been required to pay for the car up front so that it would arrive at the receiving dealer pre-paid. (since it's not the receiving dealers car they wouldn't be collecting any money) The interest paid while you were waiting fro the car would have more than ofset the difference between a courtesy delivery fee and what the shipper charges. You could have bought the car locally, or you could pick it up at the dealer and drive home. 600 bucks isn't alot to pay for a car you really want and might not otherwise be available.

sorry customer service. thats all I'm hearing. If that is your system, its broke and needs fixed. No wonder Ford is in so much trouble. I would have bought the car locally, except for the fact my local dealer still doesn't have a clue as to how to order the SHelby GT. I had several converstations leading up to its release and told them I wanted one..they thought I didn't know what I was talking about and was confused and must have meant the GT500. Ford can't communicated correctly w/ its stealerships, and many of the stealerships won't even go the extra 1/4 mile for a customer. its a shame and if they go out of biz someday, then you deserve it.

Anyway thanks for rationalizing why Ford's customer service is the worst in the industry.

sorry customer service. thats all I'm hearing. If that is your system, its broke and needs fixed. No wonder Ford is in so much trouble. I would have bought the car locally, except for the fact my local dealer still doesn't have a clue as to how to order the SHelby GT. I had several converstations leading up to its release and told them I wanted one..they thought I didn't know what I was talking about and was confused and must have meant the GT500. Ford can't communicated correctly w/ its stealerships, and many of the stealerships won't even go the extra 1/4 mile for a customer. its a shame and if they go out of biz someday, then you deserve it.

Anyway thanks for rationalizing why Ford's customer service is the worst in the industry.

I didn't get on here to , or be blasted for that matter. Just wanted to share some info. Shame on your local dealer for not knowing, and worse not checking when you inquired. Did you speak w/ a salesman or a manager? There are 5 or 6 Ford dealerships within a 20 mile radius of me, and I assume the situation is the same for you unless you are in a very rural area. How many did you check with? Customer service can always be improved but do you expect one of your local dealers to have a vehicle delivered to their dealership, check it in, inspect it, prep and clean it and take care of all the registration and titling paperwork for nothing? Do you expect the dealer you bought it from, (who gets billed by the factory when it is released from the plant) to send it and all the ownership documents to someone he doesn't know with out being paid first? Would YOU do that if you were selling YOUR car on ebay? You would eat the shipping? Ford did not sell the car to you. They sold it to the dealer you bought it from. You agreed to the terms of the sale, you didn't have to buy it. Ford sent the information to all it's dealerships and the info is online at the Ford dealer website. It's not their fault if nobody at your dealership chose to read it. You can lead a horse to water.... I did some additional checking and while it is usually possible to have an ordered unit courtesy shipped to a different dealer it appears that for whatever reason you can't do it with these units. Perhaps the factory wants to insure that they are spread all over the country instead of having a few mega dealers gobble them all up?

When I talk to a dealer, I print out all the information including pictures and excepts from the forums and websites and bring it with me so there won't be any confusion. It's partially your responsibility to inform the dealer (particularly if they're clueless) and they may even cut you a better deal by doing so.

I didn't get on here to , or be blasted for that matter. Just wanted to share some info. Shame on your local dealer for not knowing, and worse not checking when you inquired. Did you speak w/ a salesman or a manager? There are 5 or 6 Ford dealerships within a 20 mile radius of me, and I assume the situation is the same for you unless you are in a very rural area. How many did you check with? Customer service can always be improved but do you expect one of your local dealers to have a vehicle delivered to their dealership, check it in, inspect it, prep and clean it and take care of all the registration and titling paperwork for nothing? Do you expect the dealer you bought it from, (who gets billed by the factory when it is released from the plant) to send it and all the ownership documents to someone he doesn't know with out being paid first? Would YOU do that if you were selling YOUR car on ebay? You would eat the shipping? Ford did not sell the car to you. They sold it to the dealer you bought it from. You agreed to the terms of the sale, you didn't have to buy it. Ford sent the information to all it's dealerships and the info is online at the Ford dealer website. It's not their fault if nobody at your dealership chose to read it. You can lead a horse to water.... I did some additional checking and while it is usually possible to have an ordered unit courtesy shipped to a different dealer it appears that for whatever reason you can't do it with these units. Perhaps the factory wants to insure that they are spread all over the country instead of having a few mega dealers gobble them all up?

GLH-S Fan, I for one, thank you for your input to this thread. I value any "dealer" type info that is freely given by other users.

Just my .02 worth :D

GLH-S Fan, I for one, thank you for your input to this thread. I value any "dealer" type info that is freely given by other users.

Just my .02 worth :D

agreed, we know it is frustrating.

Amy,

When the vehicles are shipped from Shelby back to the dealer, is the vehicle going back into the "Ford" shipping system or is Shelby arranging transport via other means?

Thanks for all your info on this site. It must take a lot to keep up with all of us!!!

Amy, correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that you ship them back to the factory and it re-enters Fords shipping system from there.

Edit- Went back and re-read the material I received from Ford and it said that the cars re-enter the transportation system from Vegas, though I would swear I read somewhere that they go back to the factory first, though they could still do that in Fords system I guess. Sometimes Ford is as clear as mud! Amy??

Archived