TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is a properly modified Mustang GT worth?

ratnacage

How much for a modified Mustang?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you expect and/or be willing to pay for a new Mustang GT with the following mod's done by the dealer (assume they have a properly qualified shop to do the work):lowered, tuned shocks and struts, sway bars, strut tower brace, CAI, 3.73 or 4.10 gear, full (legal) exhaust with long tube headers, short throw shifter, full recal and dyno tune - assume the basic car carries an MSRP of $27,500 and the finished product produces over 300 rwhp.

• $29,000 - $31,000
    • $31,001- $33,000
    • $33,001 - $34,000
    • $34,001 - $36,000
    • I wouldn't buy it modified, but rather do it all myself
  2. 2. How much rwhp would it take to get you to spend more than $35,000 (assume handling package remains the same as in previous question)

doing a little market research here. I'm wanting to know what you would consider to be a reasonable price that you would pay for a New Mustang GT modified at time of delivery. Assume that the dealer you are purchasing from has properly trained personnel and/or a subcontracted shop performing the work and the package works as good as it sounds like it would. I selected the parts based on performance enhancing characteristics, but without voiding the warranty (hence, no supercharger). I think the package described will give a substantially better performing car both in handling and 1/4 mile times, not to mention a more aggressive stance and better sound (eye and ear candy).

I'm asking because I've read a bunch of posts where people wish Ford would build a Mustang priced between the GT and GT500, so I'm wondering what you think is a reasonable price. I'm looking for real and honest answers, not wishful thinking (please).

Maybe for discussion, what would you like to see done to fill the void between the GT and GT500 ($30k to $40k range)?

Guest evilchris

The best way to fill the void, would be to to offer a 300HP GT with forged internals so we can bypass that mess when we go to supercharge. HP doesn't mean shit, capability of the engine does.

The best way to fill the void, would be to to offer a 300HP GT with forged internals so we can bypass that mess when we go to supercharge. HP doesn't mean shit, capability of the engine does.

I'm pretty sure we can put that under the "wishful thinking" list. Ford will never go back to forged pistons on a high volume production Mustang. I don't remember which magazine it was, but it had an article explaining why Ford went to hypereutectic pistons. It actually mades sense in the context of keeping costs in line AND being able to meet stricter emissions and CAFE standards.

Don't forget the Roush blower has a 3/36 Drivetrain warranty. And the blower doesn't have to be installed by Roush - only be a certified Ford tech.

Next - I'm doing what you're suggesting - adding parts to a GT to kick the performance up a notch. Why would I need a package deal from a dealer?

Inbound to me as I type are: springs - gears - headers - exhaust - rims/tires.

This way, one can custom "build" their car - not settle for a "tuner" car with items they don't want - or need - vis a vie Roush, et al.

And it's a lot more fun having it the way you want it. :rockon:

Guest evilchris

I'm pretty sure we can put that under the "wishful thinking" list. Ford will never go back to forged pistons on a high volume production Mustang. I don't remember which magazine it was, but it had an article explaining why Ford went to hypereutectic pistons. It actually mades sense in the context of keeping costs in line AND being able to meet stricter emissions and CAFE standards.

You said modified at time of delivery.....

You said modified at time of delivery.....

well, ok, but that would completely void the warranty and the cost puts it above the price-point I'm asking about.

edit...ok, I'm having second thoughts about this, you bring up a good point. hmmmm....

Don't forget the Roush blower has a 3/36 Drivetrain warranty. And the blower doesn't have to be installed by Roush - only be a certified Ford tech.

Next - I'm doing what you're suggesting - adding parts to a GT to kick the performance up a notch. Why would I need a package deal from a dealer?

Inbound to me as I type are: springs - gears - headers - exhaust - rims/tires.

This way, one can custom "build" their car - not settle for a "tuner" car with items they don't want - or need - vis a vie Roush, et al.

And it's a lot more fun having it the way you want it. :rockon:

You'd be surprised how many people ask us to do mild performance upgrades. There are two major advantages to having the dealer do it;

1. you have a single point of contact for any issues that may crop up - no one can point the finger at anyone else if problems arise. For instance, with my 89 GT, I did a lot of stuff to that car, piece-mealing it together some parts from here, there and everywhere. If I had problems, it was very easy for one manufacturer to blame another and disclaim any liability. When your dealer does it at delivery, they pretty much are on the hook if anything goes wrong. All our customers, if they ever had problems, knew they could bring it back to us and we'd take care of it.

2. you can roll the mods into the financing - this is a big plus if you have limited cash flow.

By the way, have you asked your dealer if the Roush blower voids the engine warranty? I know if a fault occurs that is not the fault of the blower, then technically the problem should be fixed under warranty, but as a practical matter we all know that a Ford Service tech will open the hood of the car, see the blower, then you have a long drawn out battle ahead of you trying to prove your case.

I'll ask my local Ford Store about this - but I have a feeling that the Cat in the Hat's word is good for me.

If he says he warranties the Drivetrain 3/36 - I'm in.

But - I'll ask him at the Richmond NASCAR race in Sept. :rockon:

We've got garage/pit road credentials for that weekend. :rockon:

:shrug:

By the way, don't do the shorty headers (if you have them, send them back). Go with long tube headers. I was doing some research and found that the drag pack you can get from Ford is worthless as far as HP is concerned. Go with a good quality CAI, long tube headers with a complete exhaust (like Bassani, or Borla) and a custom tune on a dyno. That should be worth an easy 50 hp. The drag pack will only give you about 10 hp. Any gains you see at the track are due to the more aggressive gear. Also, having the better exhaust and CAI will give you a better platform for future mods.

The long tube headers, full exhaust and time on the dyno will cost more, but is worth it in the long run.

Archived