TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rumor from Mustang Source: $1000 Gas Guzzler Tax on all Shelbys

Disconnected

The Shelby GT just went up to $36.9k!

2007 Shelby GT's City mileage did not get to 17 mpg, instead it got 16 mpg OR Highway mileage went down to 22 mpg due to the shorter gears. Thus Shelby fails EPA standards and thus the price of the Shelby goes up by $1000

What is the Gas Guzzler Tax?

The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS. The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles.

The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).

GAS GUZZLER TAX

Unadjusted MPG (combined)* Tax

at least 22.5 No tax

at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 $1000

at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 $1300

at least 19.5, but less than 20.5 $1700

at least 18.5, but less than 19.5 $2100

at least 17.5, but less than 18.5 $2600

at least 16.5, but less than 17.5 $3000

at least 15.5, but less than 16.5 $3700

at least 14.5, but less than 15.5 $4500

at least 13.5, but less than 14.5 $5400

at least 12.5, but less than 13.5 $6400

less than 12.5 $7700

* The combined fuel economy MPG value (55% city, 45% highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year, but it is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide and on this website by the following equation:

(1/(.495/City MPG + .351/Highway MPG)) + .15

We tested twice, passed once, lost on retest by a miute amount, so yes, there is a tax

Amy

Maybe you can put the 4:10 gears in then. If we are going to have to pay the tax anyway please consider putting the lower gears in. I would be 95 percent of buyers would want the 4:10 gears.

PS I have ordered a car and put down a deposit.

Ross

Maybe you can put the 4:10 gears in then. If we are going to have to pay the tax anyway please consider putting the lower gears in. I would be 95 percent of buyers would want the 4:10 gears.

PS I have ordered a car and put down a deposit.

Ross

The lower the mileage, the higher the tax.... :o

PS- Congrats, Ross! ;)

Archived