TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interior water leak

ksmach1

I'm not sure were to post this so I'll start here. I own a 2007 GT500 and only had it for three weeks now. Just this past Sunday, I was washing the car and found water on the passenger side floor. Further investigation, I found that behind the kick panel was also wet. Beware that their is some kind of electrical module that is located behind the kick panel. I took the car back to the dealer and at first they could not duplicate the leak. During a few hours of testing, they moved the car to were the car was sitting at a different angle and than the water began run onto both passenger and driver side floors. Here is my take, the plastic panel that sits over the firewall that covers the windshield wiper linkage is the problem. This panel is attached to the firewall by pins that slide into insert cups installed in the fire wall. The insert cups have some sort of seal but I'm thinking that the seal is not able to hold up to any kind of water build up. Also, it just so happens that one of these inserts is located above the passenger and drivers side kick panels. <_< So what is the dealer doing, so far they reported their findings to Ford tech support and while their waiting on a response, they pulled my carpets up to dry everything out. If I am right about these insert seals not doing the job, this problem may not just be a GT500 thing. At this point I welcome any insight, suggestions, or if you had this same problem with your 05 to 07 mustang. As I get more info from the dealer, I'll post their findings and Fords master plan to make this right. Outside of this problem, the GT500 is an AWESOME PONY!!!

Ken

I'm not sure were to post this so I'll start here. I own a 2007 GT500 and only had it for three weeks now. Just this past Sunday, I was washing the car and found water on the passenger side floor. Further investigation, I found that behind the kick panel was also wet. Beware that their is some kind of electrical module that is located behind the kick panel. I took the car back to the dealer and at first they could not duplicate the leak. During a few hours of testing, they moved the car to were the car was sitting at a different angle and than the water began run onto both passenger and driver side floors. Here is my take, the plastic panel that sits over the firewall that covers the windshield wiper linkage is the problem. This panel is attached to the firewall by pins that slide into insert cups installed in the fire wall. The insert cups have some sort of seal but I'm thinking that the seal is not able to hold up to any kind of water build up. Also, it just so happens that one of these inserts is located above the passenger and drivers side kick panels. <_< So what is the dealer doing, so far they reported their findings to Ford tech support and while their waiting on a response, they pulled my carpets up to dry everything out. If I am right about these insert seals not doing the job, this problem may not just be a GT500 thing. At this point I welcome any insight, suggestions, or if you had this same problem with your 05 to 07 mustang. As I get more info from the dealer, I'll post their findings and Fords master plan to make this right. Outside of this problem, the GT500 is an AWESOME PONY!!!

Ken

You're right it's not just a GT500 thing. It has been a recurring problem with all the S197 mustangs. It is shameful that Ford who has known about this problem has still not fixed it into the 3rd year of production.

With due respect to you, it is a good thing that it is showing up in GT500's. With Ford's flagship starting to show the same problem, maybe they will finally fix it.

I had found a thread somewhere on another forum that shows pictures of those cups you mention but I couldn't find it again. The sealant material they used is porous or becomes porous after it's soaked. The solution is to use silicone sealant. Another problem they showed on the pictures is about 5 inches or so below the cups, there is a small round hole in the firewall where something originally was planned to be attached but never was, so now it is just a hole though the firewall possibly also letting water in.

You're right it's not just a GT500 thing. It has been a recurring problem with all the S197 mustangs. It is shameful that Ford who has known about this problem has still not fixed it into the 3rd year of production.

With due respect to you, it is a good thing that it is showing up in GT500's. With Ford's flagship starting to show the same problem, maybe they will finally fix it.

I promised you an update so here is the deal. The dealer spoke with Ford tech support but did not have to wait on an answer. They have known about this problem for a while and in some cases its reaccurring after its been fixed once. (That just gives me a warm fussy) Instructions from tech support was to order all new parts to include the plastic panel that sits on top of the firewall. I'm not sure why the panel needs replacing nor does the dealer at this point. They also could not say if the sealent was being replaced by a new type of sealent. At this point, is Ford trying to still keep this under raps? there's not much information being given by Ford tech support about a fix to end this problem. Are they trying to prolong a total recall for all 05 thru 07 mustangs? Paleoc is right, the GT500 will make the most noise but will it be enough to get someones attention at the upper levels of Ford? For mustang owners who own a S197 body style mustang, I'm asking you to join the fight and test your car for this problem. I think if enough of us voice, we stand a good chance for that all important recall notice. SO SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Ken

SO SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Ken

ORIGINAL: TinPony

Wingman75::    [link=http://www.shelbyautos.com]www.shelbyautos.com[/link]   go to the public forum from the main page

This is so irresponsible of Ford. I figured they would have fixed this on the 2007s since they knew about it for 2 years. But now it looks like they didn't since 07s are starting to report cowl leaks with flooded floors and wet electricals. It may take a major uprising and public exposure to get anything done. We need to take the bull by the horns and show we mean business. Someone needs to step up and lead a revolt, a campaign to get something done. This is just what Ford needs right now, more negative publicity.

It seems to me trying to enlist the support of Carroll Shelby himself would be a good strategy. I don't think he wants his name associated with a product with an increasingly destructive problem. The more cars they build the worse the problem becomes. Since the electricals are at risk I think that a prospective safety issue is also a possibility. The government agency dealing with safety issues could be employed.

Possibly Ford is letting this ride till the next model change-over. This would not be good for us or those still contemplaiting buying an S197 in one of its derivatives. Its one thing to have a problem and see a fix being applied and quite another for Ford to keep owners in the dark.

I know we have some Ford insiders on MF. How about getting some info on this issue? I just want to know that something is being done about it and that its not going to be covered up and forgotten.

We need a leader(s) to take this further... any volunteers?

This is so irresponsible of Ford. I figured they would have fixed this on the 2007s since they knew about it for 2 years. But now it looks like they didn't since 07s are starting to report cowl leaks with flooded floors and wet electricals. It may take a major uprising and public exposure to get anything done. We need to take the bull by the horns and show we mean business. Someone needs to step up and lead a revolt, a campaign to get something done. This is just what Ford needs right now, more negative publicity.

It seems to me trying to enlist the support of Carroll Shelby himself would be a good strategy. I don't think he wants his name associated with a product with an increasingly destructive problem. The more cars they build the worse the problem becomes. Since the electricals are at risk I think that a prospective safety issue is also a possibility. The government agency dealing with safety issues could be employed.

Possibly Ford is letting this ride till the next model change-over. This would not be good for us or those still contemplaiting buying an S197 in one of its derivatives. Its one thing to have a problem and see a fix being applied and quite another for Ford to keep owners in the dark.

I know we have some Ford insiders on MF. How about getting some info on this issue? I just want to know that something is being done about it and that its not going to be covered up and forgotten.

We need a leader(s) to take this further... any volunteers?

More bad news. I stated in my last update that the dealer had replaced the panel inserts and panel. The rain test of the new installed parts failed. Water seeped into both drivers and passenger side kick panels. Now Ford tech support has no clue and its a total nightmare for the dealer and I. I spoke to the service manager yesterday about the next course of action which his top mechanic has taken over this job. He is now removing the dash assembly and other surrounding parts in order to pin point the leak. My three week old shelby is being dismantaled one part after another. I'M NOT A HAPPY SHELBY OWNER A THIS POINT! Everything that was put into creating this car by Ford enginerring and Mr. Shelby is a moved point when I can't even wash this car or get cought in a rain storm. Another dealer in my area has a GT500 with the same problem according to a friend that works in their body repair shop. Amy if your out there, we need your's and Mr. Shelby's help. You are our voice to Ford. I never known Mr. Shelby to put his name on a product that he did not back 100% I think that all of us agree that he is an up standing person and that it gives him pleasure to see people enjoying and taking great pride in his cars. Well I'm here to tell you that I'm one of those people. I would really be interested in what your team of experts thinks and if they would know of a way forward to ending this problem. You have two types of people when it comes to solving problems, people who talk about it and the people who are shakers and movers. Your company are the shakers and movers and this is what separates Shelby from the rest. We really need your help with this one. I do want to say thanks to Amy and everyone behind the sceens for there continued support. Have a great Christmas and a happy new year.

Ken

I've not heard of this problem on new Mustangs. If I buy an '07 Mustang GT, will the firewall/interior leak in a car wash, rain storm or washing the car by hose? My last new car had an incurable water leak and it was annoying!

Fireball

It appears likely that if you car is parked or driven on a slope and it rains, that water will run down the firewall and into the car. Not everyone or even the majority have reported this (but not everyone parks on a hill). If I was in your position before I bought the car I would see if the car exhibits this problem. I would explain to the dealer that this seems to be a significant problem and that I would want my car checked for this and insist that it be tested. If enough people start walking away from purchases the dealers may finally start to force Ford's hand and make them recognize that this is a significant problem.

Just a suggestion, Everyone who experiences this problem should start a thread on every site they can think of, Ford will have no choice but to confront this problem headon!.......... And I mean everyone!

There are plenty of threads out there, Ford doesn't care, like any huge corporation or government agency they think that if they conceal the problem it will magically go away or at least become someone else's problem. What needs to be done is someone who has the problem (and documentation like pictures) needs to contact the NHTSA and file a complaint.

It appears likely that if you car is parked or driven on a slope and it rains, that water will run down the firewall and into the car. Not everyone or even the majority have reported this (but not everyone parks on a hill). If I was in your position before I bought the car I would see if the car exhibits this problem. I would explain to the dealer that this seems to be a significant problem and that I would want my car checked for this and insist that it be tested. If enough people start walking away from purchases the dealers may finally start to force Ford's hand and make them recognize that this is a significant problem.

Anyone know which way the slope will be? My driveway is a slope so I want to make sure I have it nose down or nose up when I wash it. Just in case...

Amy, do you have anything to say about this leak problem??? B)

Ok guys, the water leak fix is all about the placement of RTV sealant. Here is the down and dirty! After several failed attempts to locate the water that was entering the inside the car along the drivers and passengers side kick panels, they opted to call a glass company to remove the windshield. After the windshield was removed they inspected the area but could not locate any defect with the windshield or the windshield frame. At this point the glass repair guy said that his company had repaired several mustangs that had the same problem. He called the glass service tech that had repaired most of the mustangs with this problem. Before the plastic panel that sits on top of the firewall was installed, he placed a beed of RTV sealant around each panel insert fitting on the firewall. After the first beed was put down, he applied a second and third beed that sat one beed on top of each other forming a wall around each insert. The RTV sat for a 24 hour period prior to the panel installation. This panel is a two piece plastic panel that has molded male plastic pins that snap into the firewall inserts. As the panel is installed the molded male plastic pins sit down inside the indvidual walls of RTV which now creates about a half inch wall of RTV around each pin and insert attachment point. I'm not sure how long this will last but my GT500 will only see water as it makes it way out of my hose and onto my car. The rest of the time its in the garage under cover. This problem is a problem with the S197 body but not all S197 mustangs are affected. I don't understand why only some have the water leak and some have not. Maybe Ford enginerring or Shelby Automotive can give us the answer. I discovered the problem when I washed the car for this first time. I took delivery of the car a week and a half proir to discovering the water leak. My advice to all is that if you own or going to own a Shelby GT500, Shelby GT, GT, or a plain jane V6 S197 mustang, test the car for this water leak by spraying water on and around the panel between the windshield and hood. Park the car on different slopes and apply the water. After the test, if you do not have any water behind the kick panels or on the floor, I think your pretty safe. Good luck to all

Ken

It rained here for 2 days straight recently and out of curiosity I checked some new Mustang GTs at a couple dealerships. The passenger side rug, side panel & firewall felt completely dry on all the Mustangs -- no sign of moisture anywhere. Some Mustangs were parked on a slope in both directions. I checked about 6 new Mustang GTs. So either it didn't rain hard enough or the interior water leak is not common.

Fireball

Archived