TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here's my (maybe) sad story about my Shelby GT order

ManyMustangs

Here's my story, which may or may not turn out to be a sad story, although at this point I'm feeling pretty pessimistic..

In late October when I first heard about the Shelby Mustang GT (then still called Shelby Hertz) would be made available to the general public, I called the sales manager at my local Ford dealer (from whom I had purchased quite a few cars from in the past) and asked him about the car and explained I wanted to buy one.

I should mention that this dealer was just a regular Ford dealer, not the one big "performance" Ford dealer in town who has the reputation for "specializing" in SVT and other special order performance Mustangs (Shelby's, Saleen's, Rousch, etc.), but I instead went to my local dealer because I had purchased at least 3-4 cars from them over the past 10 years and considered myself a proven regular/repeat customer. I always believe in loyalty to businesses that have served you well in the past.

So anyway, I called and spoke to the sales manager that day, and at first he told me he hadn't even heard of the car, but he would look into it. The next day (third week of October) he called me back and said he'd found out that this car eventually would become available, but at that time was not yet available for order - but it would become available for order sometime in November and that he would contact me just AS SOON AS it was available for order so that I could come in and order one.

So, like an idiot, I did nothing - I waited around for this guy to get back to me. Unbeknownst to me, during those 5 precious weeks while I did nothing, all kinds of people were placing orders at different dealers around town.

Finally, in late November I began to wonder what was going on and why I hadn't heard back from him, so I got back hold of him and asked if the car was available yet for me to order, and he responded "Ooops, I forgot to call you, but you can now come in and order one." So I came in the next day and placed my order, only to find out that mine was the SECOND Shelby GT order from this dealer. Even though the sales manager had promised me I could order the first one and that he would let me know as soon as I could do so, he instead never called and thus somebody slipped in and ordered one two weeks before me.

So anyway, I immediately went in the next day and ordered one, paid my deposit, and got my Vehicle Order Confirmation printout (Code 54U/Drop Ship 88WKH7). Not being familiar with all this "limited production, collector's edition, limited/restricted dealer allocation" stuff, I felt assured I would get one. After all, I had ordered cars before - once the order has been placed, you're assured of getting the car, it's just a matter of how long it will take - right? No big deal, I thought.

That was two weeks ago.

About ONE week ago I discovered this great forum and have been voraciously reading all posts and all information. And I'm quite troubled by what I've discovered - particularly about how difficult and tricky it's gonna be to get this car, and how my dealer may not even get a second car allocated to them, and, most horribly, if they DO get a second car, it will have to be an automatic??! No way am I gonna accept an automatic. Plus, it was my order that should've been that dealer's first one, not their second one.

So I immediately called all the other dealers in town, including the previously mentioned "main" SVT dealer, only to find out they now all have waiting lists of 5 - 20 people to place orders, and that they are not taking orders until they receive their allocations to make sure they'll be able to deliver. So, on a one-by-one basis, as they receive sufficient allocation, they'll let each person come in and place their order. Frustratingly, the majority of these orders (or admissions on to the "waiting lists") were placed (on a first-come-first-served basis) ahead of me during the past 5 weeks while I was sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for my first dealer to get back to me!

So here's where I currently stand: Even though it's been two weeks, I have not yet gotten back a VIN number on my order, although the guy who ordered the one two weeks before me did receive his VIN about a week after placing his order. Still, I was pretty hopeful until today, when I just discovered (on this forum) that, since my order would be the second one from my dealer, it would have to be an automatic, which I will not accept (who the hell would be so sacrilegious as to put an automatic into one of these cars - they must be joking!).

So that means, if I'm to get the car I want, somebody from my dealer has to order and accept an automatic before I can get my 5-speed (fat chance)! That

even assumes they'll be allocated a second car.

Furthermore, I have just discovered that the wonderful wheels that come on these cars (which seem to look almost exactly the same as the wheels currently on my existing 2004 Mustang GT) MUST be black instead of the polished aluminum gray color.

Lastly, even though my Vehicle Order Confirmation shows $31K and the final Shelby retail price (per Amy B) is $36K, I now understand some dealers are marking that price up. I'm used to negotiating prices DOWN from sticker, not paying above STICKER! I'm just looking for a great Mustang, not to bid "auction-like" for some rare collector's item or pay $40K for this car!

So overall, I'm beginning to feel pretty pessimistic. Dang, in my mind I already owned this car, now I'm feeling really doubtful I will ever have the chance to actually get behind the wheel. Am I worrying needlessly? Can somebody help give me a little encouragement that I actually do have a chance of getting one of these cars?

Thanks.

A sad story indeed................I feel your pain, as this could (and probably has ) happen to anyone at some point. Just shows you that being "too early" doesn't always pay dividends. I know this is tough, but you could play the waiting game and see what develops. I know you are deserving of the car now and dealers are taking full advantage of the situation. Amy has said they are commissioned to produce the Shelby GT for 2008, so maybe things will cool down somewhat by then (just like they will for the GT500-the market will be flooded). Or, you could contact a dealer with integrity somewhere else and move your business with them. Either way, it'll be tough for you I believe. Hang in there and Good Luck!!!

Actually, I've been doing more calling around and it looks like there MAY be a few other dealers from whom I can order one and probably have a better chance of recving one. But what about my $2000 deposit left with the first dealer? If I order from another dealer from whom I think I have a better chance of actualy receivinbg my order, can I cancel my first order and get my deposit back? Anybody have any idea as to what dealers' general policy is in this regard?

Actually, I've been doing more calling around and it looks like there MAY be a few other dealers from whom I can order one and probably have a better chance of recving one. But what about my $2000 deposit left with the first dealer? If I order from another dealer from whom I think I have a better chance of actualy receivinbg my order, can I cancel my first order and get my deposit back? Anybody have any idea as to what dealers' general policy is in this regard?

Since you already have a deposit down, you have a bit of leverage. Go in, ask him to provide you IN WRITING whether or not this order was accepted as an auto or a 5 speed, the VIN and then if the vehicle meets what you want, ask the dealer to give you a written contract that you are purchasing this vehicle for the 35-36K MSRP. If the dealer won't provide you with this, then ask for your $2000 back immediately and take it to the next dealer.

I would also play "Dialing for Shelbys". Make a ton of calls out to area dealers and try to find one who will order you the first or buy the one that they already ordered (most likely a stick). They're out there, but as time goes by these will dwindle. There are deals being made at MSRP as well, but you may have to make a number of calls for that. Good luck and let us know how you do!

I would also play "Dialing for Shelbys". Make a ton of calls out to area dealers and try to find one who will order you the first or buy the one that they already ordered (most likely a stick). They're out there, but as time goes by these will dwindle. There are deals being made at MSRP as well, but you may have to make a number of calls for that. Good luck and let us know how you do!

I second what Crispy said, I had one dealer lined up since August. I was #1. I had a second dealer lined up the day the ordering went live. Let's say one of the top two Ford dealers in the World, they got 30+ GT500s. I was "at the top of the list." A week or two go by and neither of these dealers can make any thing happen.

I sent an email to every Ford Delaer in Southern California, about 50 or so. I had to educate most of them that the Shelby GT was not the GT500. Almost all had no inquiries or very few. A couple said they weren't commiting until the car came in but I was #1 on the list. A few wanted $10K ADM. I finally found one that was willing to work with me. It took about and additional week but they canceled the black one they had ordered and let me order my white one at MSRP.

My point, get calling or emailing and don't give up. The general public doesn't really know about this car. I certainly don't think all 6,000 are spoken for yet. Also keep in mind, theoreticaly if you are willing to pick your car up in Vegas or make arrangements to have it privately shipped, you could order your car from any dealer.

Good Luck

I second what Crispy said, I had one dealer lined up since August. I was #1. I had a second dealer lined up the day the ordering went live. Let's say one of the top two Ford dealers in the World, they got 30+ GT500s. I was "at the top of the list." A week or two go by and neither of these dealers can make any thing happen.

I sent an email to every Ford Delaer in Southern California, about 50 or so. I had to educate most of them that the Shelby GT was not the GT500. Almost all had no inquiries or very few. A couple said they weren't commiting until the car came in but I was #1 on the list. A few wanted $10K ADM. I finally found one that was willing to work with me. It took about and additional week but they canceled the black one they had ordered and let me order my white one at MSRP.

My point, get calling or emailing and don't give up. The general public doesn't really know about this car. I certainly don't think all 6,000 are spoken for yet. Also keep in mind, theoreticaly if you are willing to pick your car up in Vegas or make arrangements to have it privately shipped, you could order your car from any dealer.

Good Luck

Well, that's exactly what I did - called about 10 local dealers Saturday afternoon, and I made some pretty good progress. I have a bunch of follow-up calls to make on Monday and will post a follow-up on this forum then. For some reason, it usually seems to be the dealer's Fleet Manager who's in charge of ordering Shelby's (I would think it would be the regular Sales Manager), and those guys only work Monday thru Friday. Even so, I did make good headway at a few dealers, though.

Maybe there really isn't any particular reason to think my original order will not be honored. The only thing that I really do wish would to have been the first, rather than the second, order placed from my dealer, but other than that, maybe I ain't that bad off. Perhaps the dealer will order a second car for the showroom and let mine be the third, as I'm inclined to believe they'll be allocated at least 3-5 Shelby GT's (they already sold that many GT500's). Plus, I'm a proven long-time customer with this dealer, and should be able to use that as leverage once we start talking price. I've proven that, if they make me happy, they will sell me alot more cars in the future, as opposed to someone walking in off the street who has no track record with them.

In reading the posts on this forum, I think I'm actually in no different position than alot of you guys out there (including socaljafo) after all. About 2 /12 weeks ago I ordered the car, paid my deposit, got my Vehicle Order Confirmation form, and as of now still have no VIN or build date, or final sales contract. I'm simply waiting for the dealer's promise to call me as soon as he gets word back from Ford (a VIN, a build date, or some other kind of acceptance of my order) from Ford. Is this different from the scenario of all you others out there who have ordered this car?

ManyMustangs,

One key thing in the ordering process is getting a DORA. During my research on this and other sites I learned that a VOC is meaningless. My understanding is that a VOC is just a receipt showing the dealer that the order went through. The DORA is the response from Ford that the order has been accepted and that particular car will be built. I would have never known that if it wasn't for these sights. If I remember correctly it should take about a week for a DORA to come back. I placed the order with a VOC on 11/28 and my DORA was processed on 12/6.

During your search, if a dealer say they have already ordered the car whether it is the first or subsequent I would ask to see the DORA. If you get to order one stay on top of your dealer and ge the DORA when it comes through. It took a little reminding to get a copy of the DORA from my dealer.

Well, that's exactly what I did - called about 10 local dealers Saturday afternoon, ..... About 2 /12 weeks ago I ordered the car, paid my deposit, got my Vehicle Order Confirmation form, and as of now still have no VIN or build date, or final sales contract. I'm simply waiting for the dealer's promise to call me as soon as he gets word back from Ford (a VIN, a build date, or some other kind of acceptance of my order) from Ford. Is this different from the scenario of all you others out there who have ordered this car?

MM, are you all set? Did you get your Build date or VIN#?

Good luck guys, the part that really is bad is that if you are a long term customer, I am surprised a dealer would risk losing you by not getting you the car. That first dealer should have given you #1 , end of story.

There are 6000 cars, they are not all sold, hunt the right dealer, you will get a car..

Merry christmas guys, I hope you all get the car!

Amy

ManyMustangs,

One key thing in the ordering process is getting a DORA. During my research on this and other sites I learned that a VOC is meaningless. My understanding is that a VOC is just a receipt showing the dealer that the order went through. The DORA is the response from Ford that the order has been accepted and that particular car will be built. I would have never known that if it wasn't for these sights. If I remember correctly it should take about a week for a DORA to come back. I placed the order with a VOC on 11/28 and my DORA was processed on 12/6.

During your search, if a dealer say they have already ordered the car whether it is the first or subsequent I would ask to see the DORA. If you get to order one stay on top of your dealer and ge the DORA when it comes through. It took a little reminding to get a copy of the DORA from my dealer.

DORA's do not guarantee that a car will be built. It simply is the return responce from Ford on an order. It does prove the car was ordered, but has nothing to do with allocation or scheduling. The only difference between a VOC and a DORA is that the dealer has hit F4 to submit the order to Ford making it buildable (but DORA doesn't come back until following morning). Also if the DORA has a priority code of 99 it is not buildable (way for dealers to do a test order). Trust me I've got 4 GT-500 DORAs, but we'll be getting only one car and it's already built, I always order extra just incase something happens that an extra unit is available I may get it (only happened once back in 02 Thunderbird).

I can get 100's of Shelby GT DORA's, but we'll only bet getting one Shelby GT unless by some stroke of luck we find a second one someone's turned down or win an allcoation in a Ford contest.

Hey Everyone especially anyone who knows this answer, can we get the 500 in a Automatic or is it just the 350!!! I can drive either one but as I get older and my legs aren't as good as they once were I would like a Auto this time. I'm sure I can find it here some where the answer that is but you all seem so smart and could answer faster. Waiting patiently to place a order after New Years!!! :D Any Help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Hey Everyone especially anyone who knows this answer, can we get the 500 in a Automatic or is it just the 350!!! I can drive either one but as I get older and my legs aren't as good as they once were I would like a Auto this time. I'm sure I can find it here some where the answer that is but you all seem so smart and could answer faster. Waiting patiently to place a order after New Years!!! :D Any Help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

First, Merry Christmas! The GT500 only comes with a 6 speed manual but the Shelby GT Is either or. Most dealers have started a waiting list for the Shelby GT and my guess it that they will have a markup. Good luck

Ken

Right the GT500 is 6 speed only. PM if you want an automatic in a Shelby GT. I know of two dealers that orders can be placed. Merry Christmas !

Also, being the minority, wanting an automatic, may help you. In the information guide that Ford gave the dealers they said that any dealer who was allocated multiple Shelby Gts that the allocation would be 50% automatic. Meaning, most dealers ordered their first car as a manual. Their second car would have to be an automatic. Happy hunting.

Also, being the minority, wanting an automatic, may help you. In the information guide that Ford gave the dealers they said that any dealer who was allocated multiple Shelby Gts that the allocation would be 50% automatic. Meaning, most dealers ordered their first car as a manual. Their second car would have to be an automatic. Happy hunting.

I'm still not sure which way to go, I love to have the 500 HP but the Auto with my bad legs is seeming a little more practical. I Drive a 5 speed 2003 Mach right now and all the shifting on long trips is really getting hard on Granny :P: I drove from Michigan to Myrtle Beach last year for Mustang Week and it was a very hard ride, but Oh What Fun. So I am still undecisive right now, I have a week to decide. The dealer needs to know by Jan.2

I'm still not sure which way to go, I love to have the 500 HP but the Auto with my bad legs is seeming a little more practical. I Drive a 5 speed 2003 Mach right now and all the shifting on long trips is really getting hard on Granny :P: I drove from Michigan to Myrtle Beach last year for Mustang Week and it was a very hard ride, but Oh What Fun. So I am still undecisive right now, I have a week to decide. The dealer needs to know by Jan.2

Hi WP, all I can tell you is that a Shelby Gt with Supercharger is a lot of fun, and it's fast, lighter and handles better.475 HP. Think about it!

Amy

Hi WP, all I can tell you is that a Shelby Gt with Supercharger is a lot of fun, and it's fast, lighter and handles better.475 HP. Think about it!

Amy

Thanks Amy that sounds really good, I have to have that speed LOL But when you are getting old and legs are bad its time to think Auto trans. But I am really thinking your suggestion is the way to go. So I can order it that way right? 475 HP WOOHOO and still get a Auto. Its Heck to get old, but I still keep going no matter what.

Thanks Amy that sounds really good, I have to have that speed LOL But when you are getting old and legs are bad its time to think Auto trans. But I am really thinking your suggestion is the way to go. So I can order it that way right? 475 HP WOOHOO and still get a Auto. Its Heck to get old, but I still keep going no matter what.

I did the Bullrun last year in my chevelle, thank god it was an automatic! 33900 miles in 7 days.... That shifting stuff is over rated! lol

Amy

Just have a second now so will give a more thorough update later, but things are at least looking a bit better than before. I do have a DORA (it actually came in the day after the order was placed), but as mentioned below, a DORA is no guarantee of anything. However, the dealer is assuring me that I have nothing to worry about, they have been allocated sufficient cars and that they also ordered enough automatics so that I will get my 5-speed as ordered, but that the order in which the cars are released to dealers is determined by lottery and they've had the "lack of luck" to yet drawn any "winning" lottery numbers, and that's why I have no VIN and Build Date yet. So he is telling me I will absolutely get the car but he also did make a point of mentioning that the only thing that hasn't been determined yet is, of course, the price. I chose not to push that issue with him yet, I'll wait until I get a VIN and build date. We'll see, we'll see......

Awesome news, MM!!! Keep us filled in as you get info & let us all know what you choose for options. Sweet! B)

Will do, crispy. I guess it all comes down to price - I'm willing to pay sticker for the S GT, but not any ADM. I'm evaluating this whole decison by the price "differential" between the Premium Mustang GT and the Shelby GT. It seems like the S GT adds about $9K above the standard GT's price (at sticker), so one has to believe that I could buy a stock Mustang GT and for that additional $9K buy all the (mostly) same parts and go to a place like Saleen or Shelby (both within road trip distance for me) and have everything professionally installed.

True, I wouldn't get the Shelby name, and I'd obviously much rather just buy the S GT (as I'm sure all of us would). And, if one can get an S GT at sticker, I believe the $9K is a reasonable increase in price and that you couldn't do much better on your own by buying a stock GT and separately buying the equivalent parts (engine, suspension and apperance) and having them installed.

BUT if the dealer is gonna try to tack on $5 or $10K above sticker for his own additional profit simply because he ordered it for me, it is no longer a "reasonable deal," in my opinion. I have owned and personally built many Mustangs, and while I love the idea of finally owning a Shelby, I'm interested in the S-GT because I want a better performing/better balanced Mustang at a reasonable price, not because I'm interested in bidding top dollar just to have a "collectable" garage queen. Just my two cents worth...

Archived