TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New England area

GT500KR

You guys are scaring me (Hopedale/Douglas). I live in Upton. Where and when is the Shelby party?

Anyway, regarding your original question, there are two places I can think of. They, arguably, are not exactly Hillbank or Shelby, but they may be able to help.

First there is Tasca Ford (tasca.com). As you likely know, Tasca originally developed the Cobra Jet engine (link 1 below) when their mechanics (Billy Gilbert, John Healy and/or Ralph Porrier) was test driving a Mustang GT back around 67 when he blew the engine. He then built the prototype which ended up being the Cobra Jet. From the same article, you see they also used the KR. Anyway, they still build performance rods and work with John Force who races for them professionally. I will be working with them to do work to my Shelby when it arrives so I can have a little more originality in my vehicle. I have no relationship with them. I only learned some of this recently while doing my research for my upcoming Shelby purchase. I got some of the names from the sales people I’ve been working with down there.

Then, there is Tango Classics (link 2 below). These guys focus on rebuilding older Shelby’s, but I assume that they may eventually likely get into the newer models. Again, I have no relationship with them either. I visited their facility nearly 2 years ago and am due for another visit. They usually have a bunch of Shelby’s in their museum. They’re right around the corner in Bellingham.

RIHarley, Bristol hey? Been there a while? My grandfather used to own Rocky’s bar many years ago - across from the fire station.

Guys, let me know more details about the NH get together in June. I will be ordering my Shelby GT very soon and assume it should definitely be ready by June.

Also, let me know where you guys ordered your Shelby’s from. I’ve been working with a bunch of local dealers and their prices are all over the place. My email is adams.shelby.mustang@gmail.com.

Link 1 - http://www.428cobrajet.com/aq-0798.html

Link 2 - http://www.shelbymustang.com/other_classics.shtml

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are scaring me (Hopedale/Douglas). I live in Upton.

Welcome. Another Shelby in the valley, can't have enough. I've been by Tango, but they were closed. Restored my 66 a few years back and wanted to see their facility and see if they would paint my coupe. Found a painter in Uxbridge to do the job. Where you planning on ordering your Shelby? Ordered mine last June at Franklin Ford, delivered September 29th. I'm planning on taking my Shelby to Mustangs Unlimited on Fathers Day for Shelby annual Mustang\Shelby\Ford car show. Good time, nice crowd, fantastic looking cars. Good talking to someone local.

Nice! Welcome!

There is the NH Show, and the CT show. I have not been to the CT show in a while! As far as NH,

They are referring to the annual Father's Day mustang show that takes place right on the border of Massachusetts: off route 3 (use route 101A going west, exit 7). It's about 5 miles up, on the right at a Vocational school. There are usually hundreds of Mustangs, Shelbys, customs, etc. It's a great show, and alot of folks go cruisin' after. You get to see alot of rare Ford iron and other makes as well. I will re-post when May rolls around as a reminder. Show usually starts @ 9:00 a.m. and ends in the early afternoon. Hope this helps!

~Chris

How was your experience at Franklin Ford? Did you pay much over MSRP?

I heard that there was a really good painter in Uxbridge but I also heard his prices are going shy high lately.

Mustangs Unlim on father's day sounds like a plan.

Franklin Ford treated me fine. While I was waiting for Ford to schedule my build date they kept me well informed. The day I ordered it they told me roughly eight weeks till I would get it. It took a little more than 8 weeks, but that wasn't their fault. We did pay a high premium so that probably gave us special treatment, but they were as excited about it as I was. The morning it arrived by transport I was there taking pictures of her being unloaded and quite a few sales and service people were all around me. There giving me a free oil change in April, so I have nothing bad to say at all about them.

The Uxbridge painter Dave Croteau who painted my 66 coupe did a fine job. Both him and his son did the job at their home garage and I think I paid around $9K. I guess it may be a little higher now, but there toys and if you want a nice job and it's for a toy then I guess you have no choice but to pay. Kind of like the Gt 500 Shelby, it's a toy. If you want one bad enough, you'll pay. I look at it as an investment, I get to play with my kids inheritance. HA! HA!

How many people on these forums are from the New England area?

I'm hoping to find places that do things like Shelby and Hillbank Motorsports does, without going through the hassle of cross country shipping of my car

Anyone from Northeast know of any reliable customization shops

I am from the SE New Hampshire seacoast area and currently negotiating for a Shelby with a number of dealerships. Wow, the offers and attitudes are pretty much all over the board.

I am from the SE New Hampshire seacoast area and currently negotiating for a Shelby with a number of dealerships. Wow, the offers and attitudes are pretty much all over the board.

Welcome! I'm from Windham. Yeah, you'll find things are a little crazy. Good luck in your hunt and let us know how you do!

~Chris

Welcome to the Shelby forum. We are all waiting up here in the New England area for good weather. You will find some very good positive info on Shelby's at this web-site. Good luck in your search for your shelby. Bri66

I know for me, one of my neighbors is a dealer and good family friend, so thats where we are getting our SGT from. We called him up in mid october and told him we wanted to buy one and he had no clue what we were talking about. At first thought it was a GT500 then a GT-H. But after some explaining and looking on his part , he found out what a SGT was, and was more then happy to help us out. BTW i am in lower NY, Westchester County

As far as Franklin Ford goes, I bought an 04 v6 Mustang for my son, he totaled it in 6 months but I got such a good deal the insurance company paid me over 2K what I paid so I guess they deserve praise on that deal, AS a matter of fact we just got him an 05 v6 for 2500 under KBB listings. I'll recommend them to anyone, but as far as SVT items I think they need some training in that area.

Guest dougxbr

I live in Groton, MA and have had my Shelby GT500 for a little over a month (took del'y Jan 19). Bought it from a dealer in Cincinnati, OH and had it shipped to MA. Spring can't come soon enough! I will have to remember the Father's Day show in Nashua - its right up the street. Glad to hear there are others in NE area.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one interested in getting a caravan of cars together to go to NH or CT fathers day?

There seem to be enough people and cars around here. I'm in Blackstone.

You mentioned Rockys....

I frequented that place many, many times from my very early teens (soda only!)to adult.

My family would hang out there when waiting for or after getting off the Prudence Island ferry.

It was very dark, but it was a really cool place. I miss it.

Now Gillarys, I stop there once in a while. Still go to Prudence when I get the time.

Tango is nice to visit once in awhile. I know Bret and the rest of them pretty well.

I have transported a couple of cars for them as well.

They currently own my 67 GT 500 (white w/blue stripes)

They are a little more into buying and selling these days than restoring.

The shop rate is too much for most working people.

Any one interested in getting a caravan of cars together to go to NH or CT fathers day?

There seem to be enough people and cars around here. I'm in Blackstone.

You mentioned Rockys....

I frequented that place many, many times from my very early teens (soda only!)to adult.

My family would hang out there when waiting for or after getting off the Prudence Island ferry.

It was very dark, but it was a really cool place. I miss it.

Now Gillarys, I stop there once in a while. Still go to Prudence when I get the time.

Tango is nice to visit once in awhile. I know Bret and the rest of them pretty well.

I have transported a couple of cars for them as well.

They currently own my 67 GT 500 (white w/blue stripes)

They are a little more into buying and selling these days than restoring.

The shop rate is too much for most working people.

Norm, I'm interested. I only hope that my SGT is ready by then. I'll go anyway.

Yeah, I remember going to my grandfather's bar as a kid too. And I still get down there once in a great while. Tim (RIHARLEY) lives nearby and we plan to hang at Colt State Park sometime with our Shelby's. Maybe we all can go and then hit Gillary's afterwards.

Tango is cool too. I just saw that they are a reseller of the new 68 Fastback shell from Dynacorn. I will stop by there once I get my SGT. Was your's the one they're asking $175k for? Wow, that's a nice car. Before buying my SGT, I was trying to buy a 68 GT350 from a really nice guy in Worcester. It's been sitting in his garage for 5 years now and he hasn't touched it. It needs a total restoration but in pretty good shape and complete. I had been begging him to sell to me. He said when ready he would but I learned that Tango was trying too. He has many other cars, including 69 fastback car #1 with the CJ engine. I came to the realization that I may be a long time before I get a chance to buy that. That's when I learned I could get this new SGT and experience the whole thing we're all going through now and I'm glad I went this route instead.

I can't believe how warm it is outside. If there wasn't as much salt on the road I would probably take mine out today for a ride. Won't be too much longer I think. Gonna rain a lot this coming week so maybe I will throw the full insurance back on her this week and maybe take her out next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey New England guys, and the rest of the gang for that matter, below is info about one of the annual shows at Mustangs Unlimited. Anyone going? I am interested. Only wish I had my SGT to bring. Let me know and let's meet up there.

Got this from SAAC Events:

http://www.saac.com/eventsAndConventions/calendar.html

Manchester, CT. Shelby American Automobile Club New England Spring Show at Mustangs Unlimited for Shelby, Cobra, Mustang, Fords & Ford powered vehicles. Show starts at 10:00 AM, Registration opens at 9:00 AM, Show Car Registration is $10.00 per vehicle, free guest admission. Gene Koss (860) 872-9225 or Jeff Conley (860) 872-4102.

Hey New England guys, and the rest of the gang for that matter, below is info about one of the annual shows at Mustangs Unlimited. Anyone going? I am interested. Only wish I had my SGT to bring. Let me know and let's meet up there.

Got this from SAAC Events:

http://www.saac.com/eventsAndConventions/calendar.html

Manchester, CT. Shelby American Automobile Club New England Spring Show at Mustangs Unlimited for Shelby, Cobra, Mustang, Fords & Ford powered vehicles. Show starts at 10:00 AM, Registration opens at 9:00 AM, Show Car Registration is $10.00 per vehicle, free guest admission. Gene Koss (860) 872-9225 or Jeff Conley (860) 872-4102.

It is a great Shelby\Mustang\Ford\ car show. Been many times with my 66 coupe. Nice crowd, hot cars, great DJ music, food, great talk with Mustang enthusists. I wish I could bring both my Shelby and my 66 coupe and put them side by side, but I don't want to rent a trailer, and I won't let anyone drive either of them. I would probably trust my wife to drive my Shelby, but she can't drive a standard. HA! HA! My coupe is also a standard, but no one but me drives her. There are weekly shows a mile from my house at Bangma's Dairy every Friday night. I think I will go there this summer and drive both where they are so close to my house. Hope to see you there.

. There are weekly shows a mile from my house at Bangma's Dairy every Friday night. I think I will go there this summer and drive both where they are so close to my house. Hope to see you there.

Brian, could you be more specific about this place? I'll check it out for sure!

Brian, could you be more specific about this place? I'll check it out for sure!

Why soytinly. That's my three stooges Curly impression, not too good huh? :lol: I believe you said you were from Hopedale, sorry if I remembered wrong. They use to have it at the Haywagon restaurant at the corner of Rt 122 and Hartford Ave in North Uxbridge. It's now a new CVS so they moved it up the hill, West Hartford Ave. 2.5 miles heading towards Douglas. The place is huge with a nice paved parking area, with a large field on both sides of the road. They built a new dairy store and outdoor ice cream stand. I have never brought my Mustang there, I'm usually sleeping due to working third shift. I have been passed it a few times and have talked to people who have been there. They have a lot of nice old cars and it is held on every Friday night weather permitting beginning I believe sometime in May. The actual address is 500 West Hartford Ave North Uxbridge. Coming from Hopedale go west on Rt 16 to Hartford Ave Mendon which is your first right hand turn just past the New England Steak House. Stay straight on that road for several miles. You will pass West Hill Dam and eventually get to a set of lights. The new CVS will be on your left hand side that is Rt 122. Go straight through the lights once they turn green and continue straight on West Hartford Ave, you can't miss it. Just kidding about the green light. I'm sure you don't go through red lights. Brian

I just found out a kid I went to school with that I haven't seen since high school also bought a GT 500. Out of 109 students that graduated in 1979 what are the odds that two of us each have one of a limited amount being made. Wow!! If you read this Tom I hope we get together with our Shelby's this summer.

• 1 month later...

I am in CT; just got my SGT 2 days ago. Hopefully I can get to one of the shows mentioned in the thread, but I came on board too late for the Manchester show...darn it.

I am in CT; just got my SGT 2 days ago. Hopefully I can get to one of the shows mentioned in the thread, but I came on board too late for the Manchester show...darn it.

There is another one June 10th. I'll be going to that one.

Last night I checked my schedule against all the Mustang events in the area and I have conflicts with all of them! Unbelievable. But, I would still like to try and get to Lime Rock at some point, hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

CAR SHOW FLOOD FORD NARRAGANSETT, RI Saturday June 9

Just a heads up for anyone interested. As stated above from 9-4, free bbq etc. Small "new" dealership. They have a few Shelby's in stock, well, as of last week and do Steeda conversions. Big into Ford Racing Parts also.

I'll be bringing my 95 "R" if it does not rain. Just wondering if anyone here will be making the trip?

CAR SHOW FLOOD FORD NARRAGANSETT, RI

Just a heads up for anyone interested. As stated above from 9-4, free bbq etc. Small "new" dealership. They have a few Shelby's in stock, well, as of last week and do Steeda conversions. Big into Ford Racing Parts also.

I'll be bringing my 95 "R" if it does not rain. Just wondering if anyone here will be making the trip?

Ross, when is the show at Flood Ford?

CAR SHOW FLOOD FORD NARRAGANSETT, RI Saturday June 9

Is Flood a new car Ford dealership? When you say they are into Steeda conversions is it through the service department of the dealership? The reason I ask is I want to eliminate the wheel hop in my GT500 and am considering Steeda upper and lower arms. I talked to my dealership, but they only use Ford parts only. I purchased a 7 year premium ESP and they told me I would not effect my ESP plan if I change over to an aftermarket conversion. I wouldn't be able to make it to Saturdays show, but I would be interested in talking to someone about the conversion.

Archived