TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can Shelby GT be ordered this way?

goesfast

Hello Amy:

Firstly, thanks so much for allowing us to interact with you personally to answer our many questions on the exciting new Shelby GT. It's fantastic (and unusual) to actually have someone from the company take the time to give us the information that we seek about the car. It is because of this involvement that I will be ordering a new Shelby GT from my local Ford dealer.

My question to you is this: I live way up here in Canada and can't make the trip to Las Vegas to pick up the car. Can I still have the folks at Shelby Automobiles perform the options I want on the car (like the paxton supercharger, dash cluster, brake pkg., etc.) and still have it shipped back to my Ford dealer in Canada ? In other words, will it arrive at my dealer with all the required work already done to it, and I just pay the dealer the upcharge for the work? I realize there will be some warranty adjustments neccessary, but am willing to accept this as part of the upgrade procedure.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch Amy!

Jim.

Hello Amy:

Firstly, thanks so much for allowing us to interact with you personally to answer our many questions on the exciting new Shelby GT. It's fantastic (and unusual) to actually have someone from the company take the time to give us the information that we seek about the car. It is because of this involvement that I will be ordering a new Shelby GT from my local Ford dealer.

My question to you is this: I live way up here in Canada and can't make the trip to Las Vegas to pick up the car. Can I still have the folks at Shelby Automobiles perform the options I want on the car (like the paxton supercharger, dash cluster, brake pkg., etc.) and still have it shipped back to my Ford dealer in Canada ? In other words, will it arrive at my dealer with all the required work already done to it, and I just pay the dealer the upcharge for the work? I realize there will be some warranty adjustments neccessary, but am willing to accept this as part of the upgrade procedure.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch Amy!

Jim.

Jim, I am not with Shelby, but from what I have heard you will not be able to have the mods done on your car at Shelby American and shipped back to your dealer. If Shelby were to deliver it with the S/C then they would have to go through extensive emissions testing, crash testing, etc. as this would count as a "new car model."

However, you do have an option (one that I might use as well). I believe you will be able to have the desired modifications done at Shelby American and then hire a shipping company to deliver you the car, rather than you having to go pick it up in Vegas. I am pretty sure that would work if you were in the states, but don't know if that will work to deliver a new car to Canada that way.

from what I have heard you will not be able to have the mods done on your car at Shelby American and shipped back to your dealer. If Shelby were to deliver it with the S/C then they would have to go through extensive emissions testing, crash testing, etc. as this would count as a "new car model."

That must also mean that there will not be a Shelby MSO issued for this car.

robin

Thanks so much for your info Car Enthusiast and Robin. At least this gives me a starting point and direction to take with the car. It makes sense that the Shelby mods probably wouldn't pass emmissions and such after the work is done at the Shelby plant. That's IF the car is even available in Canada. I've heard that because of a lowered ride height, it won't pass crash safety standards here in Canada. That seems odd, as the Shelby GT500 and 2001 Bullitt have lowered ride heights and were/are for sale here.. Perhaps there's more to it than I am aware of.

If I can even get one, like you, I'll probably have to hire a trucking company to have it shipped back to Canada. Lots of paperwork, but do-able. Please let me know what you intend to do with your Shelby GT if you are considering something similar to me. It would be cheaper and make more sense (for me, at least) to have it trucked back to me.

Again, thanks for your info. And please let me know what you intend to do with your Shelby GT. And Robin, what is a Shelby MSO?

Fundriver,

Amy has said on another site that they can not ship to your dealer if you have the supercharger added to the car. However, she did say SAI would take care of their end if you hired a private shipping company to deliver the car from Vegas to your house.

The car may not be available from a Canadian dealer but is it possible for you to buy the car from an American dealer or even do I dare say Ebay. Then you could order the car to have the Shelby pickup, modified and delivered (through privae shipper) to you in Canada. Just thoughts and not original. Somebody else suggested this elsewhere.

Anything is possible into today's world. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend.

Robin, what is a Shelby MSO?
Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. If Shelby were to issue MSO, then the car would be titled as a Shelby instead of a Ford.

All the Whittier cars received Shelby MSO during the 80's. I was hoping for the same with the new Shelby modified Mustangs.

robin

Thanks again guys for your info and help. Great idea you have there Socaljafo. I thought of doing this if I can't get one through my Canadian Ford dealer. I may have to call on you guys again to help find a reputable US dealer (that you can personally vouch for) who is willing to sell at MSRP. I'll know a little more as I will be speaking with my local dealer today. I'll let you know how it goes................Thanks!!

Just keep in mind the allocation Ford gave to their dealers. One car for any dealer interested. Roughly 4000 dealers. The remaining cars will be allocated based on nation share. AND if the first car they ordered was a manual the second and every other car has to be an automatic.

Might have to becareful how long you wait.

Well guys, things are not lookin' good for the Shelby GT to make it to Canada. Keeps coming up as "not available" when put through the ordering system. I've contacted Ford of Canada and a couple local dealers with no luck so far. But I'm not giving up just yet. I did speak to a US dealer (who's not even heard of the car-typical) but is willing to find out more for me. Ford of Canada couldn't answer my question and asked me to call the SVT people myself (are they still in business?). Who knows where this is gonna end up.

I'm going to keep trying until I get a flat "NO"! When you add the supposed MSRP and mods, the car would probably end up costing more than a Shelby GT500! Just think of all the money I'll save by not be able to buy one..............................

Thanks again for all your help guys!

I guess I just got my "NO"! I called the folks at SVT and they said no Shelby GT for Canada in 2007. They said there was a possibility of 2008 being the year for the car here. I think they want to see how the program goes before they commit to other markets. Well, it's gonna be a long year......................

I guess I just got my "NO"! I called the folks at SVT and they said no Shelby GT for Canada in 2007. They said there was a possibility of 2008 being the year for the car here. I think they want to see how the program goes before they commit to other markets. Well, it's gonna be a long year......................

How will the process work for getting the supercharger installed, Do i have to contact Shelby Autos directly, or what. Will the supercharger be available to buy online, so i can purchase it, and then have my ford dealer install it??

thanks

Fundriver,

Becareful with SVT. The Shelby GT is not a SVT product. Although they may be in the loop I wouldn't rely on their information without confirmation.

GThero,

To get the supercharger on the Shelby Gt you either have to order the car to be picked up at SAI in Vegas and then order it through them. You could however order the part and have a local shop install after delivery.

Thanks Socaljafo. The fellow I spoke to at SVT seemed to know his stuff, as he had been asked the question concerning Canadian allocation before and was told by the Mustang marketing department that it wouldn't appear in 2007 in Canada. As well, I have a local dealer who is awaiting an answer from his Zone Manager and should know later this week.

On top of that, I have a US dealer who is going to enter the car through their system and determine if they are allocated one. We'll see what happens next!

GThero,

To get the supercharger on the Shelby Gt you either have to order the car to be picked up at SAI in Vegas and then order it through them. You could however order the part and have a local shop install after delivery.

Thanks for the info, i live in the north east, so it is impractical to fly out to vegas for the car and impractical to drive it back... So ordering the supercharger and having it installed by my ford dealer is how i will probably end up doing it. Do we have to call SAI directly to order the part or will it be available on the online ordering system?

Archived