TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Smoked lens covers

Flyingbadgers2001

post-2683-1136671044_thumb.jpg Hey gang, Anyone know how to go about smoking out the lens covers for the front, rear, and headlight covers? Like the CS6 prototype in the picture. I wonder if anyone knows a website that can show you how to do it? Or is this something that should be done by professionals? Whats the basic procedure for this mod? Any input would help. Thanks. -FB

100_0821.JPG Hey gang, Anyone know how to go about smoking out the lens covers for the front, rear, and headlight covers? Like the CS6 prototype in the picture. I wonder if anyone knows a website that can show you how to do it? Or is this something that should be done by professionals? Whats the basic procedure for this mod? Any input would help. Thanks. -FB

http://www.autoaccessory4u.com/0520fomuheco.html

http://pcpcdallas.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=34

If you are crafty enough with a very sharp brand new razor blade you can go to WallMart and go to the automotive section. Pull into the isle with the window tinting film. LOOK for the static film that you can put on and remove with ease. Find the film that is the lowest amount of tint. It does not need to be that dark. Then go home pop your hood, place a sheet of paper over the lights and burnish (Rub) it down so you can feel the edges of the light. trace it. remove the paper then lay on a flat table and use a ruler to make the lines straight. Use something with a nice curved edge on it to round to corners out nicely. Then cut it out carefully. Place this template on the white backing paper of the tinting film and trace it out. flip it over and repeat for a second cover. Again use a ruler to make the lines super straight and the curves nice and clean. Spread the film over something hard but also soft like a piece of plywood. Using your ruler as a straight edge and the razor blade cut out your headlight covers. You can do the same thing for the amber lights in the front bumper as well as the red side marker and lastly the tail lights. The taillights I have not done and look to present somewhat of a challenge with the recess and the smooth rounded edges and corners but I think it can be done. Now go and burnish (Rub) the newly cut static film tinted headlight covers on the headlights. It will take a few tries to align it right and to burnish out the air bubbles but one done it looks great. NOW after time bugs and whatnot will wear on them a bit and they may lift off after a while. SO chuck em and cut new ones. You have enough in that tinting roll for almost a lifetime of covers. The tinting roll cost about ten bucks. Well worth it for me. If I get pulled over and the police man/woman says your headlights are illegal. I will play the "ogh I forgot to take em off the car detailing guy put them on to protect the lights from the compound it is a protective static film." get out and peel them off crumple them up in front of him so he thinks they were junk and destroyed. Hopefully the police officer will let it slide. Then go home and cut out a new set. Bingo. The hard plastic manufactured black out covers are sure to get you a ticket if pulled over for something. I hope this helps. By the way the above statement I did use with a military police officer at the gates of NASA. They said they were illegal and were going to write me a ticket. I gut out and took em off and crumpled them up and he believed my story and actually apologized. I will try to post a picture.

Jim

Archived