TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500

APPLESREDGT500

Hi, I am a new guy! Anyway I bought a new GT500 and was having fun, but had to park it for the winter in the garage. My dad said he saw a black one at the tri-star dealer in Blairsville near rt119 in PA on the way to his house so I dropped by to see it . From the outside the only noted feature that was different was the copied 20" optional razor wheels (they didn't have a shelby logo), everything else, like the shelby logo on the trunk to the snake emblems, stripes with GT500 on the sides, even the same vented hood!! My stepson was looking at the interior and noticed right away the automatic shifter, black and tan interior etc...that of course totally gave it away and anyone that doen't know alot about the difference of a regular mustang GT and the GT500 well we won't go there for now I would think that is wrong for a dealer to do this. And the msrp was $44,000+!! without the suspension, engine, brakes upgrades besides the interior. That is only $1,000 less than msrp for the real one I was driving WELL not including the dealer markup anyway. Can they get away with cloning a gt500 using a premium gt mustang??? It didn't even say clone appearance package or anything remotely like it on the sticker. Is this a first??

Chuck

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am a new guy! Anyway I bought a new GT500 and was having fun, but had to park it for the winter in the garage. My dad said he saw a black one at the tri-star dealer in Blairsville near rt119 in PA on the way to his house so I dropped by to see it . From the outside the only noted feature that was different was the copied 20" optional razor wheels (they didn't have a shelby logo), everything else, like the shelby logo on the trunk to the snake emblems, stripes with GT500 on the sides, even the same vented hood!! My stepson was looking at the interior and noticed right away the automatic shifter, black and tan interior etc...that of course totally gave it away and anyone that doen't know alot about the difference of a regular mustang GT and the GT500 well we won't go there for now I would think that is wrong for a dealer to do this. And the msrp was $44,000+!! without the suspension, engine, brakes upgrades besides the interior. That is only $1,000 less than msrp for the real one I was driving WELL not including the dealer markup anyway. Can they get away with cloning a gt500 using a premium gt mustang??? It didn't even say clone appearance package or anything remotely like it on the sticker. Is this a first??

Chuck

You can go to any Ford Dealer parts department and order all the parts yourself and do whatever you want to your vehicle as far as changing the appearence.

We did a GT Mustang as well and it really looks great! The over the top racing stripes are PAINTED on, unlike the real GT500.

MSRP on ours was $41,670. The cost of the appearence package is $12,500.

This is a great alternative for people that like the looks of the GT500 but can't afford the premiums these cars are bringing. If it wasn't for the premiums this wouldn't be a cost effective alternative. But for $20k - $30k less you can have a GT Mustang made to look exactly like a GT500 on the exterior.

If you wanted to spend a little more you could even change out the interior to make the inside look the same. Just change out the dash gages and replace the leather back cover on the front seats and the only thing left to give it away is the 5 speed manual VS the 6 speed manual!

The only thing missing would be the motor, trans, suspension and brakes. But for $20k - $30k less than what the real GT500 is going for it is a lower cost alternative for someone that really wants one for the looks but can't get one or afford the extra $20k - $30k premiums.

I'm fine with people liking the look of a car enough to clone it. It creates a larger demand for the body parts so the supply is there and more affordable when someone has to replace the body panels on a real one (of what ever edition). The real cars (of what ever kind) will always be distinguishable from the clones when it counts because of VINs and serial numbers. I wish people made clones of SVOs so I would not have had to spend a small fortune on a complete set of new head lights and turn signals.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it won't be long before the S-GT clones start appearing. It's a shame, really. I think we all paid the price for exclusivity.

Then you should have bought a Ferrari. Frankly if you buy anything just so you can be "exclusive" over others is a pretty poor reason to spend your money. Buy it cause you like it, not simply cause the guy next door doesn't have it.

I guess it won't be long before the S-GT clones start appearing. It's a shame, really. I think we all paid the price for exclusivity.

There are lots and lots of 60's Shelby and Cobra clones. Doesn't seem to have the hurt the value of the originals.

Then you should have bought a Ferrari. Frankly if you buy anything just so you can be "exclusive" over others is a pretty poor reason to spend your money. Buy it cause you like it, not simply cause the guy next door doesn't have it.

Chill, you don't have to slam me. I am referring to chuck's post about dealers selling clones. Surely everyone finds that a little questionable. I spent my money because I've always wanted to experience the 'Shelby magic'. Especially since it was Shelby that bumped Ferrari back in the day.

All I am saying is that I understand chuck's concern, regardless of what my neighbor drives (even though it's an Accord :lol: ). Peace.

Well I had a problem with my old user name so here's the one I use from stangsunleashed. Anyway I have read a few posts that some have gotten the GT500 for MSRP or 1-3K over. Even though I payed 13K over I have seen more. If a clone is going for almost the same MSRP as the real one, would'nt you opt for the real mccoy?? I mean why would you pay as much for a look alike and it does'nt even have the brakes, engine, suspension, interior....am I wrong??

Chuck :huh:

• 4 months later...

A local Ford dealer has a GT500 clone (GT Premium Coupe w/ "GT500 Appearance Package") with an MSRP (after appearance package install) of just north of $40k. They are clearing out the 2007's, so it has a Sale Tag in the window for $36,500. I almost wrecked when I drove by and could read that tag from the road and thought it was a real Shelby GT500. So, of course I swung around and drove onto the lot seriously considering trading in my 2004 Acura TL on the spot towards what I thought was a real GT500. It looks exactly like one!

I consider cloning to be a compliment, i.e., imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Also, I see nothing wrong with buying something to be exclusive as long as one is not doing so to make others envious. Plenty of people modify their cars just for this reason, so they are not driving cookie-cutters. Folks can copy all they want but they will always know their car is a clone and they can never sell it as a Shelby and reap the benefits of that unless, of course, they lie and then that's another issue.

• 1 month later...

I actually saw one of these this weekend-it was black with the red stripe/GT500 appearance package and it looked really good. They also had an actual GT500 (grabber orange/tungsten stripes) which is what actually caught my attention first. They wanted $62xxx for the GT500 and $42xxx for the clone-if all you cared about was the looks, for $20k you could put on the Ford racing susp, a S/C, etc or prettty much whatever mods you wanted to do.

• 1 month later...

I consider cloning to be a compliment, i.e., imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Also, I see nothing wrong with buying something to be exclusive as long as one is not doing so to make others envious. Plenty of people modify their cars just for this reason, so they are not driving cookie-cutters. Folks can copy all they want but they will always know their car is a clone and they can never sell it as a Shelby and reap the benefits of that unless, of course, they lie and then that's another issue.

I agree with your thoughts on this...Mostly.

"I consider cloning to be a compliment, i.e., imitation is the most sincere form of flattery."

Yes, this is generally the train of thought on this topic. However, when dealers pawn off "knock-offs" to unsupspecting and/or uneducated customers, a "fine line" is crossed. This line is drawn between what we educated owners call "buyer-beware", and outright criminal behavior.

When my dealer is fully aware that he is selling a "knock-off" replica automobile, he should be honest about this. Likewise, when the automobile is the "real deal", sell the car for what it is.

Surprisingly enough, the floor salesmen/ladies don't know the specific (and sometimes subtle) difference, and it's easy for any unsuspecting customer to be defrauded. I've had my taste of this chicane myself with the 2003/04 Mercury Marauder, it can become quite a twisted piece of business. Nonetheless, if it's a real Shelby GT500, sell it as that. If not, don't. "Gray area" I know, but it's about dealer/saleman integrity and nothing more. "If you don't know your product, don't try to sell it", 1s what my father taught me.

I know I'm sounding weird, like some Nazi SS officer somewhere, but as I bought my '07 SGT, I demanded "your parpers, please", and later said "your papers are in order". Then (and not before,) I signed off on ownership and financing.

I have no sympathy for the fraudlent dealership, nor the unsuspecting customer. "Know what you are doing, or, don't do it." My father again...Sorry. I have become him.

Be safe,

Mac.

Archived