TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why the ridiculous pricing?

jimbobbeg

First off, I'm brand new to the forum. I've been hooked on Mustangs and Shelbys since my dad went down and bought a '65 Mustang convertible from Spitzer Ford when I was 9 years old. I owned a '67 GT500 in the mid '80s.

As for my question, how can dealers add $5000 or more to the MSRP of a car with a $2000 option package? I know the car will have Shelby badges, revised suspension, and an extra 25 HP, but please. I believe the plan is to build 10,000 or so units, so the car isn't that exclusive. Also, keeping in mind that the standard Mustang GT engine for 2008 will be a detuned version of the new 425HP 5.0 Hurricane engine to be in the Boss Mustang won't this car be "underpowered" by next year?

Your question of "how can dealers add $5000 or more".

The answer is simple ADM= GREED Most DEALERS ARE OUT TO SCREW YOU OUT OF EVERY PENNY THEY CAN ........ I appologize if this insults the few that really go out their way to save the consumer a few bucks

Yes it is dealers trying to make as much profit as they can. Some, will sell at MSRP for long term business. However, don't forget it takes two to tango and there are plenty of people out there who have too much money or want something bad enough that feed those dealers. Trust me I know, I am getting an ulcer because I want this car badly but I can't afford and won't pay an ADM on top of a well optioned car (s/c, brakes, hood, etc), $40,000+. I have heard everything from we can't commit to pricing yet to $10,000 ADM. Even though I am either the first person or one of a few who have asked about. Half of the dealers I have talked to didn't even know of the car. Read, not alot of inquiries, no high demand.

Now that I am done I apologize for the rant. I had just gotten off the phone with a dealer. :angry:

...If there are any of those dealers who were insulted because they are willing to sell one at MSRP, sned me contact info. ;)

socaljafo,

I would keep dialing, even in adjacent states. There are a few reasonable dealers out there, but you have to keep calling till you find one. Sad but true....

Good luck...

Found one.....had been working with them for a week or so.....VOC in hand for a white, dark charcoal interior, and options vehicle at MSPR in writing. :)

....I will gladly go back there for my next Ford and recomend others to them, even at an hour away without LA traffic.

Found one.....had been working with them for a week or so.....VOC in hand for a white, dark charcoal interior, and options vehicle at MSPR in writing. :)

....I will gladly go back there for my next Ford and recomend others to them, even at an hour away without LA traffic.

See? CONGRATS! I know how much oyu wanted this car. I would make sure you let the dealer know that oyu are recommending everyone & his brother/sister/aunt to their dealership. Good Luck!!! :)

PS- did the dealer give you an eta on delivery???

See? CONGRATS! I know how much oyu wanted this car. I would make sure you let the dealer know that oyu are recommending everyone & his brother/sister/aunt to their dealership. Good Luck!!! :)

I did let the dealer know I would buy my next Ford there (I mean it) and have already sung their praises at work and will continue too. I have always been the guy who takes the dealer license plate frames off before the engine cools on the first day. I won't have them on this car either but when I am asked where I bought the vehicle which I am sure I will be, I will gladly tell people.

Fair deals make for good business. They are happy with a better profit then they normally make on a Mustang and I am extremely happy.

Whoops, almost forgot no ETA on delivery, I am calling back tomorrow for the DORA and I plan a Vegas pick up....as soon as I figure out how to arrange it????

I did let the dealer know I would buy my next Ford there (I mean it) and have already sung their praises at work and will continue too. I have always been the guy who takes the dealer license plate frames off before the engine cools on the first day. I won't have them on this car either but when I am asked where I bought the vehicle which I am sure I will be, I will gladly tell people.

Fair deals make for good business. They are happy with a better profit then they normally make on a Mustang and I am extremely happy.

Whoops, almost forgot no ETA on delivery, I am calling back tomorrow for the DORA and I plan a Vegas pick up....as soon as I figure out how to arrange it????

terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!1 congrats!!!!!!!!!!! and for the record there will be 6000 cars

So what dealer did you get the car from? My local dealers are wanting MSRP plus $5000.

Thanks

I went to one of the smallest dealers in my state, and the dealer is actually one of the oldest dealers in the country. It has always been family owned and operated and the people there are great. also since my dad got his gt500 from them and i'm getting my shelby gt from them, our whole family has already switched loyalty to this dealer.

About the eta on my Shelby gt, i was told late march/early april. which is great for me because there is snow/salt on the ground always through march where i live. B)

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I'm brand new to the forum. I've been hooked on Mustangs and Shelbys since my dad went down and bought a '65 Mustang convertible from Spitzer Ford when I was 9 years old. I owned a '67 GT500 in the mid '80s.

As for my question, how can dealers add $5000 or more to the MSRP of a car with a $2000 option package? I know the car will have Shelby badges, revised suspension, and an extra 25 HP, but please. I believe the plan is to build 10,000 or so units, so the car isn't that exclusive. Also, keeping in mind that the standard Mustang GT engine for 2008 will be a detuned version of the new 425HP 5.0 Hurricane engine to be in the Boss Mustang won't this car be "underpowered" by next year?

Got any more details on the 5.0 Hurricane engine? I haven't heard anything about this!

The Detroit News indicated that the new engine will make its debut in the new F150 due next year.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2006/news0...ss302engine.php

Right, in the F150, followed by the year after (most likely) for the Mustang as they ramp up production. Additionally, they are making only 6,000 Shelby GTs--not 10,000--AND--if you order the S/C option for this car it will have aproximately 470 HP :o --AND weigh about 440 lbs less than the GT500.

So, tell me....doesn't that make you think? :blink: It does to me!!! ;)

Got any more details on the 5.0 Hurricane engine? I haven't heard anything about this!

Hold on a sec, I clicked on your above link, and it apperas to just be an article about the 5.0 crate motor, something that's been available for years in the SVT catalog. What has this got to do with a new "Hurricane" motor for ther F150 or Mustang? Or did I miss something?

Still, though, having owned about a zillion of these motor's (starting with the 289 in the used '74 Mustang that I bought as my first car back in 1975 and ending with the 93 Mustang Cobra into which I put a Powerdyne blower), I'd be happy to see it available again. Aftermarket parts and tuning knowledge (carbureted and injected) have been accumulating for 40 years for this engine, and that makes for a pretty formidable package that's very easy to make go fast.

By the way, as for that Powerdyne blower, I tell everybody ity was a year-and-a-day project: Took me one day to install it, and a year to get it dialed in correctly :-)

Archived