TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anybody else here former/Current owners of the GT 350?

crispy23c

Just wondering if anyone else owned or still owns one of these beasties. Mine was a '67 350: #02189.

Last I heard it was in MD, owned by an SAAC regional guy. It was originally Brittany Blue, now White w/Blue stripes. Oh, the fun I had in that car! ;) It should have been illegal!!!

Oh, wait.........it was illegal :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have owned two GT 350s, SFM6S612 (Hertz), and 9F02M480544, both were 4 speeds, the 66 was a beast if you wanted it to be, the 69 was a comfortable cruiser. Both had their good points. It got to the point where I didn't or maybe couldn't drive the Shelby without worrying about what might happen. I sold the last one I had (the 69) last fall and used the money to help pay the kids school expenses.

I currently have a nice SVO and a Bullitt, with a White SGT on order.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone else owned or still owns one of these beasties. Mine was a '67 350: #02189.

Last I heard it was in MD, owned by an SAAC regional guy. It was originally Brittany Blue, now White w/Blue stripes. Oh, the fun I had in that car! ;) It should have been illegal!!!

I own a 1968 GT350 #01067 sunlite gold with white strips Hertz car, a 1969 GT350 #02303 candy apple red with gold strips Hertz car & I just purchased a 2007 GT500 torch red with white strips #0109. Carol Shelby has autographed the dash of the 68 & 69 and I hope to get the 07 done this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

I own a 1968 GT350 #01067 sunlite gold with white strips Hertz car, a 1969 GT350 #02303 candy apple red with gold strips Hertz car & I just purchased a 2007 GT500 torch red with white strips #0109. Carol Shelby has autographed the dash of the 68 & 69 and I hope to get the 07 done this summer.

Hi, saw your post on this car, GT350H Was wondering if you can supply me with the engine specs and the paxton supercharger specs, both total psi it was capable of making and what was run from the factory Shelby etc. Also max H.P. application the supercharger could be used for, and max c.f.m.

Also, engine H.P. & Torque. I am assuming this was a 350 c.i.d. give or take.

Thanks

Corey

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently own a 1966 GT350 S, and a 2007 SGT.

Hi Crispy23;

Yes, I owned a 65: 5S063 and a 66:6S1908 as well as a 65 Cobra: 2401

Since rejoining the various forums after an absence of 27 years, I have found the owners of the 66 and the Cobra. I do miss the original cars as they were light and quick. No A/C and solid lifter chatter but, that is the way they were.

Right now, I am waiting for my 08 GT500 in Vista Blue. Then, I will be going with the Super Snake modification.

I am nearly 66 so, I need to be moved up on the list while I can still drive a stick shift. By the way, I hear you are now working for Shelby with the mod shops. Congratulations.

I will probably be the oldest SS owner. At least I will be the only SS owner(other than Carroll) who was in the pits on July 4, 1965 when Shelby one the World Manufacturers title at Reims, France.

Regards,

Bill

• 5 weeks later...

I got out of high school here in San Diego (Morse HS - Go Tigers!) in 1971 and my folks were kind enough to help me buy a '61 Falcon. Within 6 months I had my first Contest of Speed ticket. 90 in a 65 on I8 east and the CHP caught us both on the 2nd St offramp in El Cajon.

Lesson learned was: Buy a faster car! Next stop about 6 months later was a '66 GT-350H. I had looked at a couple of GT-350s and a guy had a nice '66 GT-350 that was Copper(Gold?) with Black stripes, but it needed a gorrilla to drive it with the heavy clutch and the locker rear. I wanted a fun fast car, not an exercize machine. Besides, he wanted $1,500 (Yes 15 hundred) and I could get the GT-350H for $1,100 (Yes 11 hundred). I still remember the owner, Steve whats-is-name, lived up off of Twain Ave near the Stadium.

Lovely car. Great fun when your 18! Had it for several years. Met a girl from Florida (Dawn Nance), out in OB, whose Dad had given her a GT-350H. But she was a Navy wife and her husband didn't really like the car. She didn't want to sell at the time and I wasn't really looking to buy either, but we kept in contact. A year or so later my ex-girl friend's brother (who loved my car) decided he wanted one too. We checked the paper and didn't find anything for sale, so I called Dawn. She said she was thinking about selling, come take a look. We did. Her husband had smacked a parking pole with the front. When the bodyman (the thief) told them the hood was ruined and he would just order a new steel Mustang hood he said OK. After that they repainted it plain red. (Her husband must have really hated her Dad is all I can think) After some negotiation (because it was not running well and it was the Gas Crisis!!!) Mark bought it for $500 (YES, Five Hundred! BTW - I still have the bill of sale if you own the car now). He drove it back to Lakeside took it to his Dad's mechanic and had the motor rebuilt with more ponies, put on American Torque Thrust Mags with giant rear tires and the loudest chrome sidepipes I had ever heard. When he came to visit I could hear him 3 blocks away. Between the two cars boy did we have lotsafun!! Now I was 21/22 and Mark was 18.

Fast forward about 9 months. We have both cars and we are at the San Diego Stadium for some event (PCA always had autocrosses going on, and various car swap meets, who knows) and we spied this guys with a White (no stripes) '67 GT-500 out in the parking lot. So we go to chat with him and it turns out that he wants to sell his car and he will part with it for $1,100 (Yes, 11 hundred). Intereior is fine, but the paint is all severely checked and a little oxidized. Mark falls in love, gets the guy's number and we go home. Mark offers me his car for what the guy will sell his GT-500 for and so I buy my second GT-350H.

A little more Fast Forwarding - Mark has now redone his GT-500 and I have brought a little bit of sense back to my new acquisition. Mark's GT-500 has had the engine rebuilt, the trans checked, new clutch and now sports a brand new paint job - bright orange with dark blue stripes. Why? I don't know. Never asked. The car sure did stand out! Me, I just ditched the sidepipes, and went back to normal tires, but I did stick with the American Mags as I liked the look. The one other thing I did do was to have the red car changed over to a stick. I bought a top loader from somewhere and took it to the Ford dealer in National City where the Service Manager used to races a GT-350 at the drags. He had photos on the wall to prove it even.

So, at the end of the day I had 2 GT-350H's, one auto & one stick. Now while all this was going on the orginal car had gotten bashed on the drivers front fender when I turned w/o a blinker and this girl just pulled out without looking. So off it went to a friend who had a body shop. The same guy who painted the GT-500. Since I had a car, there was no rush on it. We decided to change it to White w/Blue stripes from the Black & Gold. he threw in a twist. "Why not add a slight pearl to the white and it would give it a slight irridesence. OK! And you know, this would look really clean on the back end (and keep people from stealing your GT-350 gas cap, if we just shorten the filler neck, so that you fill it in the trunk) and we will make a really clean and slightly different rear end look without a cap." Well, OK for that too. Nothing wrong with personalization after all!

So after about another 6 months of Mark looking at both GT-350's even while driving his GT-500, he comes to the conclusion that he misses his red car and wants to trade. Straight across. By now we are just starting to see some slight value increase, but the increase on his is greater, so technically I would be getting the better of the deal. But. No, I don't want to trade as I ws never a fan of the GT-500 anyway, although had he painted it a sensible color I might have been tempted. So Mark, who is now in the mood to be finished with his car, trades Joe (another good buddy) for his '68 Mustang coupe that can pull the front wheels off the ground on take off. A truly fast Mustang. Actually faster from a Blvd standpoint that any of our Shelbys.

I would like to say that that is the end of the story and that I kept them, and bought the GT-500 and they are happily living restored in my 6 car garage as I write. Truth is. . .I kept the cars for a couple more years (side note: while in the body shop the shop owners guard dog that was actually a giant puppy, ate the bucket seat tops and I believe the replacements were from a Mustang GT) and in a desire to begin a new career and pay off debt, I sold both cars to one guy for $2,900 (Yes, 29 hundred) who said he was buying them for a collector in Illinois or Indiana. Someplace in the Mid-west. Yes I knew they would go up in value. Who knew how long it would take. And how far would they increase. It was hard to imagine that they would top 5 grand, and then who knew how long that would take. And if anyone reading this says that they knew that they would one day be worth what they are today, I will say without reserve that they are a liar. Back then a brand new Rolls Royce wasn't $30,000, and that was about the price of a house in San Diego. So to imagine in 1975 or so that the price of some of these cars would rival the price of a home in Beverly Hills or La Jolla, well, then your name must be Warren Buffett. Because if you ain't a billionaire today then what you "knew" must be BS.

Final note - I put a lot of detail about the cars into the story because I am curious about what happened to my babies (and Mark's car too) and may someone here remembers seeing them along their journey.

Archived