TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HOW DO I GET MY NUMBER ?

MY83SHELBY

:unsure: I HAVE AN 83.5 SHELBY CHARGER AND I WANT TO DO SOME MUCH NEED WORK TO IT. ONE OF THE THINGS I WANT TO DO IS PUT THE CAR NUMBER ON IT, BUT THAT IS PROVING VERY DIFFICULT.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT FINDING THE ID OF THIS CAR, AND WHY DOSE THE VIN NOT TELL THIS INFO?

TO ALSO ADD TO ANOTHER TOPIC---

THE 83.5 SHELBY CHARGER ONLY HAD TWO COLORS BLUE W/SILVER AND SILVER W/BLUE JUST LIKE THE ONE I HAVE.

THE PRODUCTION NUMBERS ARE 8,251

5,185 BLUE CARS,

3,066 SILVER CARS

The VIN is your number. There were no additional numbering provided by Shelby. The only Chargers with a Shelby ID are the 1987 GLH-S cars.

Your car was designed by Shelby but built by Dodge. That is why there is no other identification other than the VIN.

On the plus side, your car is more rare and more Shelby than the new GT500. On the minus side, it just ain't as valuable.

Good Luck

robin

The VIN is your number. There were no additional numbering provided by Shelby. The only Chargers with a Shelby ID are the 1987 GLH-S cars.

Your car was designed by Shelby but built by Dodge. That is why there is no other identification other than the VIN.

On the plus side, your car is more rare and more Shelby than the new GT500. On the minus side, it just ain't as valuable.

Good Luck

robin

THANK YOU ROBIN THATS PROBIBLY THE NICEST ANY ONE HAS BEEN ON THAT SUBJECT...

MANY PEOPLE DONT LOOK AT THESE LITTLE CARS AS REAL SHELBY CARS, IT IS NICE TO SEE SOO MANY WHO WANT TO KEEP THIS CAR ALIVE.

THESE NEW GT500 ARE VERY NICE BUT THEY MAY BECOME BELLY BUTTONS, SO THAT EVERYONE HAS ONE.

MY CAR IS GOING TO LAST FOR MANY MORE YEARS, AND I PLAN ON DOING THINGS THAT SHELBY WOULD HAVE DONE, LIKE AN SRT4 AND NICE INTERIOR BUT STILL KEEP THE CS LOGOS.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.

Are you planning on putting in a SRT4 interior? You may want to see if you can find CS seats from an 86 or 87 Shelby Charger. They were an improved design offering more comfort and support than the earlier Chargers.

How about posting some photos of that little gem you got?

robin

Are you planning on putting in a SRT4 interior? You may want to see if you can find CS seats from an 86 or 87 Shelby Charger. They were an improved design offering more comfort and support than the earlier Chargers.

How about posting some photos of that little gem you got?

robin

TO ANSWER BOTH QUESTIONS NO...

THE CAR IS IN PRETTY BAD SHAPE AND NEEDS THIS WORK AS MUCH AS I JUST WANT TO DO IT.

ANY OLD PICS THAT I HAD ARE USELESS NOW

AND NO I CUSTOM BUILD INTERIORS AND CAR AUDIO.

I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO PUT MY OWN TOUCH TO IT.

SOON I WILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT AGAIN,WHEN MY LITTLE GIRL GOT PRETTY BAD SICK I HAD TO PARK IT,

AND SOME JERK THAUGHT THAT HE WOULD JUST START TARING IT APART AND LEFT IT IN BAD SHAPE.

TO MAKE THAT STORY SHORT HE IS NOW IN PRISON FOR DOING THE SAME THING TO OUR LOCAL SHERIFFS SON---IRONIC---ISNT IT.

• 1 year later...

:unsure: I HAVE AN 83.5 SHELBY CHARGER AND I WANT TO DO SOME MUCH NEED WORK TO IT. ONE OF THE THINGS I WANT TO DO IS PUT THE CAR NUMBER ON IT, BUT THAT IS PROVING VERY DIFFICULT.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT FINDING THE ID OF THIS CAR, AND WHY DOSE THE VIN NOT TELL THIS INFO?

83SO

As Robin posted the Dodge Shelbys did not get individual car numbers like the Shelby Dodges built in Whittier by Shelby Automobiles. Also because they were built on the regular Chrysler assembly line even their vin numbers were not in sequence due to the fact they were built right along side Dodge Chargers, Plymouth Turismos, etc.

On the bright side I do have all of the vin numbers/records from the 1983 Shelby Charger along with the other years and someday hope to get them in an excell program so that we can assign an unofficial individual car number using the date they were built and the vin number.

In a nutshell the goal down the road is for someone like you to provide your vin number and I could tell you what day it was built and if it was the 10th, 100th, 500th Shelby Charger built that year.

PLEASE NOTE: I can not do that now. The paperwork I have from Chysler is in a random order and nothing can really be looked up until this info is manually entered into an excel program that will give me the capability to sort the info by date, by vin #, by dealer, etc.

Just want to give you and idea that just because you can't find out something today doesn't mean it wont be out there at a later date.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Robin I agree with you guys most people do not look as Sleby Dodges as Shelby I own a 67 ,69 and 07 Shelby and a 87 GLHS and the local club does not look at Dodge as Shelby funny I toured Shelby factory in Whitter CA took pictures of both GLHS and CSX production, meet Carroll Shelby on one trip, the Dodge is more of a Shelby than my 69 which was built on Ford assembly line. People look at Dodge though when GLHS blows thier doors off Bruce

Archived