TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need answers to questions before purchasing HILLBANKS products

Flyingbadgers2001

HEY EVERYONE!

MY FIRST POST AND IT WONT BE MY LAST.

I RENTED A GT-H BACK IN EARLY OCTOBER AND I WAS HOOKED. I FOUND THE SHELBY WEBSITE AND I FOUND THE LINK TO HILLBANKS. I LATER FOUND THIS FORUM. SO I HAVE BEGUN MY QUEST TO BUILD MY OWN CS6.

FIRST, WHAT IS THE EXACT COLOR OF THE CS6 IN THE PICS IN FRONT OF THE SHELBY BUILDING? IS IT VISTA OR SONIC BLUE? BEING THAT THE COLORS LOOK SOMEWHAT THE SAME ON THE CPU MONITOR. I LIKE THE SAME COLOR OF BLUE THAT'S ON THE PICS. IF I HAD TO GUESS, I WOULD SAY IT LOOKS LIKE SONIC BLUE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME?

SECOND, THIS MAY SEEM BASS ACKWARDS, BUT I JUST PUT IN MY ORDER TO HILLBANKS LAST NIGHT FOR NINE PARTS TOTALING UP TO $2100.00 (hood,pins,piaa,Shelby front fascia and grille,side scoops, etc...)

THIRD, WHAT ARE THE EXACT OFFSETS ON THE 20X9 RAZORS9(is it 24?) AND TYPE OF METAL FINISH IS ON THE ORIGINAL CS6? SO I CAN PUT MY ORDER IN FOR THOSE.

FORTH, (just wondering) IF I GO WITH A GT(V8) INSTEAD OF A V6 AND I STILL BUY ALL AUTHORIZED SHELBY PARTS AND EQUIPMENT THROUGH AUTHORIZED SHELBY DISTRIBUTORS, CAN I STILL GET THE DASH PLATE AND DOOR SILLS(i.e. stage III - even if I keep my receipts) PLEASE SAY YES! :D

MANY MORE QUESTIONS TO FOLLOW... AS FOR THE REST OF YOU CURRENTLY IN PROCESS OF MODIFYING YOUR MUSTANGS TO SHELBY'S, KEEP IT UP YOU ARE MOTIVATING THE HELL OUT OF ME!!

p.s. I do have a deposit on a 2005 GT Sonic Blue Mustang, awaiting break from work to travel 600 miles to get it. (I'm in the Military-always busy ;)

SSgt Flores USAF

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLYS!!!!!

FIRST, WHAT IS THE EXACT COLOR OF THE CS6 IN THE PICS IN FRONT OF THE SHELBY BUILDING?

THIRD, WHAT ARE THE EXACT OFFSETS ON THE 20X9 RAZORS9(is it 24?) AND TYPE OF METAL FINISH IS ON THE ORIGINAL CS6? SO I CAN PUT MY ORDER IN FOR THOSE.

FORTH, (just wondering) IF I GO WITH A GT(V8) INSTEAD OF A V6 AND I STILL BUY ALL AUTHORIZED SHELBY PARTS AND EQUIPMENT THROUGH AUTHORIZED SHELBY DISTRIBUTORS, CAN I STILL GET THE DASH PLATE AND DOOR SILLS(i.e. stage III - even if I keep my receipts) PLEASE SAY YES! :D

Take it easy on the CAPs.

The car is a 2006 - http://www.shelbyautos.com/gallery.asp - so it has to be Vista blue. I have seen a Sonic Blue Mustang parked next to a Vista Blue Mustang. Vista Blue is a blue-blue while Sonic Blue has more of a purple-blue in it.

I don't know the exact offsets on the wheels, they come in 12 and 24 mm offset and 5.5 and 6 inch backspacing. The originals on the car are silver finish American Racing Razors Series 198 - http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/detai...alloy§ion=A

They also come in Chrome Series 698 and as Shelby Razors 198S in gunmetal finish http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/detai...lloy§ion=SL

They are supposedly going to re-release the Shelby Razors in Silver as well but I don't know what the timeframe on that is.

There are excellent pictures of the wheels here -

Chrome: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWhee...h=Chrome+Plated

Silver: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWhee...%2FMachined+Lip

Shelby Gunmetal (light grey): http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWhee...ey+w%2FMach+Lip

Can't answer question 4 but since Jason at Hillbank has built his as a GT (Vortech Supercharger) and Amy has hinted at a supercharger for the GT, I would think the answer would tend towards yes.

I have the Shelby Gunmetal Grey on my car (Vista Blue):

04809.jpg

Sorry for the CAP's I'm a flippin spaz at times.

That's great info Sir. I was wondering if now I should start my search over for a Vista blue rather that a Sonic blue. See I told you I was a spaz. I should of been more cautious about selecting a Mustang w/o first consulting about the proper color. Whats your take on it? I mean after all I have the deposit on the GT in NY, It's at a good price($21,100) 17k miles w/ warr. I'm just thinking that true Shelby fans will 'gig' me on the wrong color of blue in the future. But, really 'P', thanks for all the good information. I look forward to see your Mustang take on a new look here soon. Great photo by the way! keep photo documenting!

SSgt Flores

That's great info Sir. I was wondering if now I should start my search over for a Vista blue rather that a Sonic blue. See I told you I was a spaz. I should of been more cautious about selecting a Mustang w/o first consulting about the proper color. Whats your take on it? I mean after all I have the deposit on the GT in NY, It's at a good price($21,100) 17k miles w/ warr. I'm just thinking that true Shelby fans will 'gig' me on the wrong color of blue in the future. But, really 'P', thanks for all the good information. I look forward to see your Mustang take on a new look here soon. Great photo by the way! keep photo documenting!

SSgt Flores

The two colors Sonic and Vista are really close. At night you can't tell them apart. Both colors look great and no-one will say anything about your car color other than COOL! One person here is building a yellow one and Amy's is orange (or maybe it was her GT500?) so if you got a great price, I would base my decision on that. Similiarly, wheel choice is up to you. Go with what you think will look good on the car. American Racing wheels are top notch. I had them on my 69 Fairlane Cobra and their chrome blows everyone else's away. Take a look at the chrome wheels in previous post and see what I mean.

The two colors Sonic and Vista are really close. At night you can't tell them apart. Both colors look great and no-one will say anything about your car color other than COOL! One person here is building a yellow one and Amy's is orange (or maybe it was her GT500?) so if you got a great price, I would base my decision on that. Similiarly, wheel choice is up to you. Go with what you think will look good on the car. American Racing wheels are top notch. I had them on my 69 Fairlane Cobra and their chrome blows everyone else's away. Take a look at the chrome wheels in previous post and see what I mean.

Roger That! I did look at all three and I would have to agree. The chromes rims look cherry!

Thanks again!

And hell yeah, I'm going with Sonic! I just checked ebay and autotrader and most 2006 Vista blues are around $23-25,000 with average savings of about $2k from my 2005 GT. Thats the Baer brake kit right there.

Roger That! I did look at all three and I would have to agree. The chromes rims look cherry!

Thanks again!

And hell yeah, I'm going with Sonic! I just checked ebay and autotrader and most 2006 Vista blues are around $23-25,000 with average savings of about $2k from my 2005 GT. Thats the Baer brake kit right there.

OH yeah, what type of exhaust/muffler did you go with and is it the 'X' or 'H' pipe? Also are you considering high performance catalytic converters. As far as the headers, I see so many brands of 'shorty heads' What the brand do you have and was it fairly easy to swap out the OEM's headers? 2-4 hours?

Thanks for help.

SSgt Flores

Thanks again!

OH yeah, what type of exhaust/muffler did you go with and is it the 'X' or 'H' pipe? Also are you considering high performance catalytic converters. As far as the headers, I see so many brands of 'shorty heads' What the brand do you have and was it fairly easy to swap out the OEM's headers? 2-4 hours?

Thanks for help.

SSgt Flores

Keep in mind I have a V6 so they had to strip out most of the exhaust, which is not the case with a GT. The other issue is that there are less performance parts available for the V6 than there are for the GT. I got the exhaust system offered by Hillbank/Shelby. I have no current plans for the cats. It is a H pipe from what I understand.

I have JBA headers (off eBay). The GT has more options - JBA, MAC, BBK, Hookers, Ford Racing and others. I didn't mount the headers (the builder did) but from I read on forums and magazines is that JBA's are fairly easy to mount. I have had Hookers on a previous car and they are quality parts. I am sure the Ford Racing parts are fine also. The MACs I have read about have had problems with fit and rust.

This is strictly my opinion, but if I was in your place, I would leave most of the exhaust system (with the exception of the headers) until after most of the other upgrades are done. The stock GT exhaust system is not too bad and I don't think individual things like an X pipe swap will make a major difference (I could be wrong). A whole exhaust upgrade would be beneficial but I would do most of the other changes first.

Here is where I log the progress on the car but again remember this is a V6 conversion so a lot won't apply to you.

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=29129

SSgt Flores

SSgt Flores... You wouldn't by chance be stationed at Westhampton would you?

Guys N Gals,

Im out at the SEMA show debuting my CS8. Just a FYI, its a Paxton Supercharger, not a Vortech....similar but not the same. Whats planned for the V8 is the Paxton Novi 2200 inwhich it will be "SHELBYIZED" with lots more power. Should be in the neighborhood of a 185hp increase over stock. Its FAST, i know ive got the first one up and running at the 2006 SEMA show in Shelby Auto Security's booth. For anyone wanting to stop by, its in booth 10958.

FLyingbadger2001, call me on Nov 8th and as anyone will tell you I will walk you through everything you need to know about building your own Shelby Mustang.

Off to bed, im about to debut my CS8 in 7 hours. Oh and thanks guys for all the support. If someone can email me at jason@teamxtrememotorsports.com with an address i could email pics and have them posted here that would be awesome. Ive tried and cant get it to work. I will create a thread of my own.

Roger That Jason! November 8th. We actually spoke over the phone briefly a few weeks backs, I don't know if you remember? But after I hung up the phone I was on the 'net' looking for a Mustang. I knew that you guys at Hillbank were good to go! I realize that the Shelby items are in high demand and will always be on back order and sometimes shipping damages from the manufacturer can result in longer waiting periods. I know you guys are in the trenches taking the brunt of disenchanted and very angry customers who have been waiting on hoods, front fascias and so on. Please be advised that I will wait patiently for my parts however long it takes(i hope not too long ;) ) I got all winter to build my Shelby. Thanks again for your assistance now and in the future. -SSgt Flores

• 2 weeks later...

Roger That Jason! November 8th. We actually spoke over the phone briefly a few weeks backs, I don't know if you remember? But after I hung up the phone I was on the 'net' looking for a Mustang. I knew that you guys at Hillbank were good to go! I realize that the Shelby items are in high demand and will always be on back order and sometimes shipping damages from the manufacturer can result in longer waiting periods. I know you guys are in the trenches taking the brunt of disenchanted and very angry customers who have been waiting on hoods, front fascias and so on. Please be advised that I will wait patiently for my parts however long it takes(i hope not too long ;) ) I got all winter to build my Shelby. Thanks again for your assistance now and in the future. -SSgt Flores

First off, Thanks Jason, for the great phone conversation! Funny how the Shelby hood came in as soon as I called you. Thats Service Man!!!! Also keep an eye out for your Cuban cigars I will send those out shortly.

As for the tires and wheels I have a question. (Its open to you too Amy ;) or anyone else who might have the answer. Now I have the 20x9 Shelby wheels with the 12mm offset. I have the tires for the front which are 255/35/20. I know these will fit. But the rear tires are 275/40/20. They seem really tall. I did'nt think 40 over a 35 would be such a dramatic difference. Now looking at the CS6 pics in front of the Shelby Las Vegas building, it looks like the tires stick out over the fender and not inside under the fender. Before I mount these tires to rims. Will the rear '275' "40" height and width rub against the outer fender once the Mustang is lowered approx. 1.5 inches or do you think the 275/40/20 tires will tuck under the rear fenders and not be a factor even if lowered? Anybody? Bueller? bueller? Thanks in advance. -FB

As for the tires and wheels I have a question. (Its open to you too Amy ;) or anyone else who might have the answer. Now I have the 20x9 Shelby wheels with the 12mm offset. I have the tires for the front which are 255/35/20. I know these will fit. But the rear tires are 275/40/20. They seem really tall. I did'nt think 40 over a 35 would be such a dramatic difference. Now looking at the CS6 pics in front of the Shelby Las Vegas building, it looks like the tires stick out over the fender and not inside under the fender. Before I mount these tires to rims. Will the rear '275' "40" height and width rub against the outer fender once the Mustang is lowered approx. 1.5 inches or do you think the 275/40/20 tires will tuck under the rear fenders and not be a factor even if lowered? Anybody? Bueller? bueller? Thanks in advance. -FB

Tire size is multiplication of width x height. I.e. a 40 series sidewall is 40% as high as it is wide. A 255/40 for example will have a 102mm sidewall (.40 x 255). Thus a 275/40 will be taller than a 275/35 even though they are equally wide. The stock mustang tire is 27 inches tall. A 255/35/20 is also 27 inches tall. A 275/40/20 is 28.7 inches tall (almost 2 inches taller). This will have a negative impact on your acceleration and completely throw off your speedometer by 6% (actually speed 63.6 mph when the speedometer is reading 60mph). If you want a 275 tire in the rear, the better choice would be a 275/35 which is 27.6 inches high. It will still have slight but almost unnoticeable impact on acceleration and on the speedometer by 2% (actually speed 61.2 mph when the speedometer is reading 60mph). 275's are the widest tire recommended for a 9 inch wide rim.

See: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If I was in your place I would contact the dealer and try to return them in exchange for a more correct size.

I considered tire sizes when I made my purchase. I considered 275's for the rear which will help with handling and and acceleration, I decided to trade off these noteworthy features for convenience, the ability to rotate my tires fore and aft and having a same size spare. You may feel that the wider rears outweigh those factors, remember every decision is a trade-off. I know someone who mounted 275/40/18 (18's not 20's) on the rear of his modified GT (not Shelby) and they were just fine.

As for sticking out. A 275 is 20mm wider (just less than an inch) than a 255. 10mm is on the outside, 10mm is on the inside.

I don't have all the answers and none of the business end answers, but I spent 2 years researching the S197 Shelby starting with the GT500 and then after the 2005 SEMA show, I researched the CS-6 (1 year now). I have done my homework (and have even made a few suggestions to Amy and Jason), so if you have questions feel free to PM me.

Archived