TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time to drill holes for hood pins...

Rogue24

I talked with the guys who do them here and they told me they put masking tape over the area to be drilled and they use a hole drill instead of a normal drill bit. It's still not perfect but fortunately the big ring covers any chipping they encounter in the drilling process.

Hope this helps...

-Rich Sparkman

I was watching Overhaulin' last night and noticed they were using tape exactly as Rich described. Looked like green painters tape to me.

When I installed hood pins on my '69 Roadrunner I first mounted the pins then determined where they hit the underside of the hood. You can do this by putting some inletting black or some other substance that will easily transfer on the tops of the pins, then sitting the hood down gently on the pins. Once you have the point of contact determined, drill a pilot hole using a small drill bit from the under side of the hood. When I did this I used the appropriate size drill bit, but a hole saw might work just as well. Place the painters tape over the area where you are drilling, locate the pilot hole and have at it. Once you have the holes drilled, close the hood, lay the hood pin rings in place around the protruding pin and determine where the mounting screws go (you may want to make the layout of the screw holes the same on both sides). Mark these locations and drill the appropriate size holes. Screw down the rings attach the retaining pin lanyards and you're in like a porch climber.

Like Rich said, the hood pin rings will cover up a multitude of sins. :rolleyes:

I was watching Overhaulin' last night and noticed they were using tape exactly as Rich described. Looked like green painters tape to me.

When I installed hood pins on my '69 Roadrunner I first mounted the pins then determined where they hit the underside of the hood. You can do this by putting some inletting black or some other substance that will easily transfer on the tops of the pins, then sitting the hood down gently on the pins. Once you have the point of contact determined, drill a pilot hole using a small drill bit from the under side of the hood. When I did this I used the appropriate size drill bit, but a hole saw might work just as well. Place the painters tape over the area where you are drilling, locate the pilot hole and have at it. Once you have the holes drilled, close the hood, lay the hood pin rings in place around the protruding pin and determine where the mounting screws go (you may want to make the layout of the screw holes the same on both sides). Mark these locations and drill the appropriate size holes. Screw down the rings attach the retaining pin lanyards and you're in like a porch climber.

Like Rich said, the hood pin rings will cover up a multitude of sins. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

This is how I did the test install with the aluminum stock hood. I didn’t use the painter's tape though; I'll use it for the cs6 hood pin holes. I might start the holes with a small whole drill and make adjustments with the moto tool. Ill post pics when I get around to it.

Just a tip if you are drilling a painted Metal hood once the drilling is complete take a few seconds and some clear nail polish and coat the exposed metal inside the hole. Allow to cure for about 30 minutes then reasemble everything. You can also take some black silicon and wipe a thin layer on the underside of the upper face plate that mounts to the hood if their is no adhesive on it already. Once you do this and screw it in place have a clean rag damp with some sort of thinner or something that will clean up whatever squishes out but without hazing the paint. Doing this will keep water out from seeping underneeth the face plate by cappilary action and festering there to rust the screws or whatever metal. It will also create a barrier between a steel face plate and an aluminum hood if left exposed. The miss matched metals will cause an imbalance and result in RUST. Aluminum will rust if it is touching steel. Just my tow cents.

Jim

Archived