TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where the Rubber Hits the Road - CS6 Racing

pyrat

Well gents, the question came up, what do we do with our CS6 once it's completed. I called SCCA to get a handle on where the car would fit in their Solo I (Time Trials) and Solo II (Autocross) classes. More specifically, at what point do you need a roll bar in a convertible. It seems you hardtop guys don't encounter this issue until well after the convertibles do, but I though you might be interested in the basics anyway.

Solo I and II are racing events where you do not run wheel to wheel with other vehicles so a lot of the race car requirements are not present and the opportunities to severely damage you car are greatly reduced. Instead you run against the clock.

Solo I (Time Trials)

Time Trials are run on an actual race track, and require roll bars for convertibles and targa topped vehicles in all classes, but in the lower classes do not require them for hard top vehicles, so you CS6 coupes may fit in here, depending on the specifics of the modification rules.

Solo II (Autocross)

Any class which does not allow pure racing tires does not require a roll bar. This includes Stock, Street Touring, Street Performance, and Street Modified. Street Modified lest you do anything to the engine, suspension brakes, etc. that we are likely to do, including strut tower braces with only a two point connection. If this bracing gets to be a three point system, you are in a class that requires a roll bar. You can replace LCAs, but not move the connection points. Seat belt-wise, you can not have a competition shoulder harness. They want you to flop over if the car rolls. You can have a competition lap belt, just not the shoulder harness.

It looks like the CS6 would fall into Street Modified, and even a CS6 modified beyond the basics.

Well gents, the question came up, what do we do with our CS6 once it's completed. I called SCCA to get a handle on where the car would fit in their Solo I (Time Trials) and Solo II (Autocross) classes. More specifically, at what point do you need a roll bar in a convertible. It seems you hardtop guys don't encounter this issue until well after the convertibles do, but I though you might be interested in the basics anyway.

Solo I and II are racing events where you do not run wheel to wheel with other vehicles so a lot of the race car requirements are not present and the opportunities to severely damage you car are greatly reduced. Instead you run against the clock.

Solo I (Time Trials)

Time Trials are run on an actual race track, and require roll bars for convertibles and targa topped vehicles in all classes, but in the lower classes do not require them for hard top vehicles, so you CS6 coupes may fit in here, depending on the specifics of the modification rules.

Solo II (Autocross)

Any class which does not allow pure racing tires does not require a roll bar. This includes Stock, Street Touring, Street Performance, and Street Modified. Street Modified lest you do anything to the engine, suspension brakes, etc. that we are likely to do, including strut tower braces with only a two point connection. If this bracing gets to be a three point system, you are in a class that requires a roll bar. You can replace LCAs, but not move the connection points. Seat belt-wise, you can not have a competition shoulder harness. They want you to flop over if the car rolls. You can have a competition lap belt, just not the shoulder harness.

It looks like the CS6 would fall into Street Modified, and even a CS6 modified beyond the basics.

Interesting... Thanks

Archived