TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to kill the Mustang/Shelby Market

svttim

This is the problem with the current market.

This one is obviously for a GT500 and does not apply to the "Shelby GT" which is a different vehicle.

GT500 Coupe 40,930

gasguz 1,300

prem trim 595

shkr 1000 1,295

dest del. 745

_______

total 44,865

Mark

Rich, I will try to find out. Maybe I should have asked the question first. My apologies. Here is a second image that was posted

I seriously doubt the authenticity of the 2nd window sticker. First, it is all hand written. Secondly, max dealer markups that I've heard of were about 20k over MSRP when the GT500 first came out and are less than that now.

Mark

This one is obviously for a GT500 and does not apply to the "Shelby GT" which is a different vehicle.

GT500 Coupe 40,930

gasguz 1,300

prem trim 595

shkr 1000 1,295

dest del. 745

_______

total 44,865

Mark

I seriously doubt the authenticity of the 2nd window sticker. First, it is all hand written. Secondly, max dealer markups that I've heard of were about 20k over MSRP when the GT500 first came out and are less than that now.

Mark

Just looked at an alloy grey one here in Phoenix last week. ADM of $45k.

Regardless I think there is a problem in the Ford camp and the dealers are the weak point. While many are honest , hard working and resonable, there are too many looking for the fast buck. I cant see something different for the Shelby GT.

after some investigation, This sticker was in fact for a GT500

We, of course, have no influence on what the dealers do with their prices, but it's like anything else you buy. Shop around, find a deal you like, and go with that instead of the local place if they're pricing themselves out of the market.

I've heard several stories of people flying to another state to drive their car home rather than buying in their local market due to the price markups. In today's information age, most dealers have websites and many are tied in directly with fordvehicles.com so you can browse any dealer you want until you find a price you can accept.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

We, of course, have no influence on what the dealers do with their prices, but it's like anything else you buy. Shop around, find a deal you like, and go with that instead of the local place if they're pricing themselves out of the market.

I've heard several stories of people flying to another state to drive their car home rather than buying in their local market due to the price markups. In today's information age, most dealers have websites and many are tied in directly with fordvehicles.com so you can browse any dealer you want until you find a price you can accept.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

We had one here for awhile. Originally the dealer was asking $20k ADM and told me he had a waiting list of over 20. When the car actually came in, the car sat unsold for ~ 3-4 weeks. It is gone now, but apparently they couldn't find any suckers on their original 20+ list to pay the $20kADM.

That actually works to the dealers' advantage too. If they have a car that draws people to the dealership some of those people may buy something else they see while they're there. So, for those 3-4 weeks, they probably saw increased sales anyway, then eventually got the price they wanted for the GT500.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

That actually works to the dealers' advantage too. If they have a car that draws people to the dealership some of those people may buy something else they see while they're there. So, for those 3-4 weeks, they probably saw increased sales anyway, then eventually got the price they wanted for the GT500.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

You guys should just sell the GT model directly out of Vegas and forget about the dealers. They are the ones keeping the true enthusiasts from purchasing these cars when they come out at a reasonable price. I'd jump on a plane to Vegas in a second to avoid any dealers at all. Is it possible to buy direct through you? Can I order one directly through you?

We all would love that. I was first on a list at a local dealer, family owned Ford dealer in Winchester, MA. I got them to start the GT500 list (I was #1) over 1 year before the car was announced . I continually called for updates, and requested a simple contract for "at MSRP, when determined". The dealer stated repeatedly "you have nothing to worry about". Time comes to order and suddenly it was $25,000 over MSRP. Called another local dealer in Portsmouth, NH. They wanted $200k (this is not a typo) for the GT500. I said (after a long pause): $200k, for a car that they are producing (roughly) 20,000 of. He says: Yes. I say: I can buy a Ford GT for less, and they made only a few thousand of those. He says: I know. Needless to say that when I bought my F150, I selected none of those dealers. When I get my Shelby (If I can get MSRP one day), it certainly will not be through those dealers. I guess we all have to be patient. Yikes.

We all would love that. I was first on a list at a local dealer, family owned Ford dealer in Winchester, MA. I got them to start the GT500 list (I was #1) over 1 year before the car was announced . I continually called for updates, and requested a simple contract for "at MSRP, when determined". The dealer stated repeatedly "you have nothing to worry about". Time comes to order and suddenly it was $25,000 over MSRP. Called another local dealer in Portsmouth, NH. They wanted $200k (this is not a typo) for the GT500. I said (after a long pause): $200k, for a car that they are producing (roughly) 20,000 of. He says: Yes. I say: I can buy a Ford GT for less, and they made only a few thousand of those. He says: I know. Needless to say that when I bought my F150, I selected none of those dealers. When I get my Shelby (If I can get MSRP one day), it certainly will not be through those dealers. I guess we all have to be patient. Yikes.

Crispy and I have a similar story. I was on the list for 4 dealerships, #1, #4, #6, and #11 with all of them saying no problem....until the car came in. I just received an email from one of them a week ago saying they still had 3 cars at the bargain price of just 20K over MSRP....I told them they can sit on the lots. Besides the Shelby GT sounds like it will have all I want and be made by SA. I just hope the dealers don't go crazy again. ...and yes, I would fly to Vegas to buy the car and drive all the way back to the East Coast....break it in and all. :D

Unfortunately, we both know each other's story a little too well. Couldn't agree more. By the way, I forgot where on the E. Coast you are, CT?

Comnpletely agree, by the way. I think this car, with it's better overall balance, could be the better car (for me) (with a blower).

South Carolina, Shaw AFB currently although I am getting transferred to Birmingham, AL..so I will be hanging with Brad and Scothew by the time I get the car. :)

Good company to keep, Milstang!

FWIW, Rich, I don't think most folks have ever held it against the Mfr if there are ADMs. I don't even hold it against a dealer. It is, after all, a double-edged sword. I just hated it when a dealer was not good for- or went against- their own words, that's all.

I'll get one, it's just a matter of time. I just need it in time to spank some Camaros & Challengers! :P

Archived