TEAM SHELBY FORUM

new shelby mustang gt

boggs47

:angry: as released yesterday, ford/shelby is going to be producing the Ford Shelby GT, which is basically the hertz car mass produced. So I can guess my order will take even longer now, since everyone that ponied up money months ago had to wait will while they did the hertz cars. I think shelby is getting in over there heads. They are starting new projects when they cant even get other ones up and running, while screwing everyone that already has given them there hard earned money. All we hear on this board is another week and then another week, now your saying there is a backlog. What a load of crap! In addition, so some thing that was somewhat unique is going to be all over the place now. Everyone and there mom is going to have the same looking hood and setup! I have a lot or respect for shelby, but there whole new deal is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Boggs47,

You have to look at things a little differently. Anyone who owns, builds a Shelby will have a more added value. The bigger the name gets the more your car would be worth. I did a bunch of research and I'm excited about this. There was sooo much demand for the Hertz car that Shelby just couldn’t answer that call.

As far as this delaying the CS6 parts, that’s wrong. This project is WELL underway and parts are being currently shipped. So this shouldn’t do anything but excite you. If you have your order already in, you should be getting your parts any day. As far as going forward, new orders may take a bit longer than the normal 5 day delivery due to the massive orders being placed everyday.

These are exciting times we live in, try to embrace them before there gone! I know my anxiety level is driving me nuts because I'm so excited. Boggs47, if you have any questions, please feel free to call me 888-445-5226 and ill be sure to take the time to get you up to speed on ALOT of AWESOME things that are underway for this project including several top secret additions to the kit.

Stayed Tuned everyone!

as released yesterday, ford/shelby is going to be producing the Ford Shelby GT, which is basically the hertz car mass produced.

All the articles I have read on the Hertz car says that Shelby produces about an average of 10 cars per day more or less. There are about 200 or so work days in a year so we are talking about 2000 cars max per year. Hardly what I would call mass produced, especially when Ford is producing 9000 or so GT500s and 200000+ mustangs total.

First this is NOT the Hertz car. The cars even look VERY different. I think, personally, the Hertz car looks meaner. heck I think it looks better than the GT500 but that's me! Second it, like the GT500, is not available in Black/Gold a REAL bummer! The Hertz cars were made at Shelby motors in Vegas. The new Shelby GT will be made at the Ford Factory with an expected max run of 10,000 units. The Hertz cars are cooler IMHO!

The cars even look VERY different. I think, personally, the Hertz car looks meaner. heck I think it looks better than the GT500 but that's me! .

:huh:

???

The hood is different (probably a stock Ford hood with scoop instead of CS6 hood) and it has different colored stripes (silver instead of gold). And a small Hertz badge. That's it. Change the hood to a CS6 hood and it will look meaner too, I guess?

Btw, the scoop is very similiar to the original 66 one.

:angry: as released yesterday, ford/shelby is going to be producing the Ford Shelby GT, which is basically the hertz car mass produced. So I can guess my order will take even longer now, since everyone that ponied up money months ago had to wait will while they did the hertz cars. I think shelby is getting in over there heads. They are starting new projects when they cant even get other ones up and running, while screwing everyone that already has given them there hard earned money. All we hear on this board is another week and then another week, now your saying there is a backlog. What a load of crap! In addition, so some thing that was somewhat unique is going to be all over the place now. Everyone and there mom is going to have the same looking hood and setup! I have a lot or respect for shelby, but there whole new deal is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

I havent heard we are still backordered, I know we shipped 100K in orders, as for the hood, the new Shelby Gt has a different hood then the CS6 and the GT-H

Amy

First this is NOT the Hertz car. The cars even look VERY different. I think, personally, the Hertz car looks meaner. heck I think it looks better than the GT500 but that's me! Second it, like the GT500, is not available in Black/Gold a REAL bummer! The Hertz cars were made at Shelby motors in Vegas. The new Shelby GT will be made at the Ford Factory with an expected max run of 10,000 units. The Hertz cars are cooler IMHO!

As an FYI, the new shelby GT will be made in LAs Vegas, like the GT-H , only diference is the hood, but the GT can be manual and might have a biiger gear ratio. Interior mods etc, we are still working it all out

Amy

Amy, concerning making the Shelby GT in LV, can you give a rough idea of production volumes anticipated on the Shelby GT (realizing it can change of course based on a variety of things)?

Aside from gear ratios, what do you plan to install in LasVegas? FRPP power packs (CAI/exhaust)? It would seem all of that can be done more cost effectively in Flat Rock. Or are you getting a special group option build from Ford and then doing some final fit-up in Las Vegas? It would seem crazy to be swapping rear axles again out in Las Vegas, yes? Appreciate your thoughts on this because I'm confused right now -- are these Shelby-serialed cars?

I'm assuming they'll be sold through Ford dealers, or is the widespread talk that Shelby Autos cannot sell Shelbys directly under the contract with Ford inaccurate? Appreciate if you can clarify these points now that the car is anounced.

Best regards and thanks for all you do!

Dan

Dan, see my comments in red, hope this helps.

Amy, concerning making the Shelby GT in LV, can you give a rough idea of production volumes anticipated on the Shelby GT (realizing it can change of course based on a variety of things)?

I believe we stated publically, or mark fields did, it will be under 10K, we are still finalizing.

Aside from gear ratios, what do you plan to install in LasVegas? FRPP power packs (CAI/exhaust)? It would seem all of that can be done more cost effectively in Flat Rock. Or are you getting a special group option build from Ford and then doing some final fit-up in Las Vegas? It would seem crazy to be swapping rear axles again out in Las Vegas, yes? Appreciate your thoughts on this because I'm confused right now -- are these Shelby-serialed cars?

>> I think the main point to understand is that it is very hard for ford to make small runs on the line in less then a year turnaround. We are their "hit the ground running" partner. They give us advice, help with certification and are a true partner, we give them speed. we have the suspension kit, x pipe. The axels are not currently a line item, so hence we have to do it. It works ok.

I'm assuming they'll be sold through Ford dealers, or is the widespread talk that Shelby Autos cannot sell Shelbys directly under the contract with Ford inaccurate? Appreciate if you can clarify these points now that the car is anounced.

The partnership with Ford is that we will do everything with and thru them. That is why it is important to conform and comply to the regulations and systems.

Thanks Amy

Shelby Rocks!

Jason, when I was at SA LasVegas last fall you could order a CS6 (or so it seemed). Then it seemed it was just a kit (that didn't ship for a long time). Now i understand it's shipping and you guys are the doing that for SA. Is that correct? Do you plan on doing any CS6 kit installations also?

Yeah, Shelby does rock! Even if he had never built a Shelby (which of course he did) he was my hero as a teen in the 60s!

It looks like a 07 GT/CS that's shipped to Shelby Autos, and then they install two FRPP packs and a couple badges. They should be able to easily crank out up to 10,000 of them in eight months because it's not even half the job of a GT-H.

Too bad these cars won't be available until next spring. I don't know if Ford can keep up this kind of pressure-based marketing and hype. Get everyone worked up into a frenzy and then delay it for months and months...like the GT500. I think it's a mistake to announce a product this far in advance unless a pre-order system is put into place. Without being able to order them, it's really going to frustrate a lot of customers.

I just think about my own inclinations over this car. I would love to buy one. But I know that it will be a frustrating experience based on my experiences with Ford dealers over the past year.

Shelby Autos..... Please build a lot of these cars. :-)

Yeah, Shelby does rock! Even if he never built a Shelby, he was my hero as a driver in the 60s!

I am not sure....but what does " he never built a SHelby " mean ? Carroll has built many cars, including Shelby's

Amy

B)-->

QUOTE(Amy B @ Aug 16 2006, 09:35 PM) 710[/snapback]

I am not sure....but what does " he never built a SHelby " mean ? Carroll has built many cars, including Shelby's

Amy

I believe he was saying that Carroll Shelby is a hero to him for his racing days and that had Carroll not built any cars (which of course he did) that would not have mattered to him as he would still respect his performance as a racer.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amy B @ Aug 16 2006, 09:35 PM) 710[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Amy

I believe he was saying that Carroll Shelby is a hero to him for his racing days and that had Carroll not built any cars (which of course he did) that would not have mattered to him as he would still respect his performance as a racer.

Ooops!

Thanks, Paleoc, couldn't have said it better myself <lol>

That's precisely what I meant, Amy. I'll go back and edit it for clarity if it will still let me.

Cheerz,

Dan

B)-->

QUOTE(Amy B @ Aug 12 2006, 12:12 AM) 674[/snapback]

I havent heard we are still backordered, I know we shipped 100K in orders, as for the hood, the new Shelby Gt has a different hood then the CS6 and the GT-H

Amy

As an FYI, the new shelby GT will be made in LAs Vegas, like the GT-H , only diference is the hood, but the GT can be manual and might have a biiger gear ratio. Interior mods etc, we are still working it all out

Amy

Ugh! This means another limited production collector car, aka, GT500. I know a lot of you guys are obviously flush with cash, but all I want is a reasonable price of $32K-35K without some wacked dealer market adjustment, aka GT500, tacking another $20K to the price.

Or maybe it's just me...

I will add too that, as I said in my earlier Hertz post, the Hertz had rusting hood bolts and poor paint work around the hood washer nozzels. I hope you've improved that.

Having said that I TOTALLY loved the car and went straight to a dealer after considering the purchase of a GT and the hood etc., here. I have held off waiting for this car...I hope my wait will be rewarded!

Ooops!

Thanks, Paleoc, couldn't have said it better myself <lol>

That's precisely what I meant, Amy. I'll go back and edit it for clarity if it will still let me.

Cheerz,

Dan

Thanks Dan, I am a little slow, sorry, I completely agree with you. he had a whole carrer before cars. World class racer, world class team manager, winner in both.

Amy

Ugh! This means another limited production collector car, aka, GT500. I know a lot of you guys are obviously flush with cash, but all I want is a reasonable price of $32K-35K without some wacked dealer market adjustment, aka GT500, tacking another $20K to the price.

The only possible way that will happen is for quantities to rise, and every indication leads me to believe they will. I'll bet toward the end of this year you'll start to see new GT500s in the low 50s on ebay, then they'll drop to high 40s and possibly hang around that range if Ford actually cranks out 9,000 of them as planned. I don't see any reason why they can't do that, given that it's full swing in the production line now.

The people who are paying $60k right now have early bragging rights and lots of attention for six months or so, then you'll start to see one or two sitting in showrooms. Around January, I'll bet you'll be able to find several in all the major dealerships for a far more reasonable price, with the feeding frenzy subsiding. Exactly as it was last year trying to get hold of a GT. Now there are plenty. There were people paying 5k over for a GT not that long ago.

Next spring, right about the time when the GT500 demand starts to level off, the 07 Shelby GT will come out. If quantities are truly up in the ranges we've been hearing, that's upwards of 18,000 Shelbys altogether by next spring. Then the 08 GT500 comes out. Oh, there will be plenty to go around and the prices will be well within reason. At least, that is my theory. I'm going to continue enjoying my 06 GT until then, if you know what I mean. :)

• 1 month later...

Or maybe it's just me...

It's not just you.

Presonally, I hope I can A-plan the car part of it too. I love the Shelby GT hood, IMO it's much better than the GT-H hood.

Every potential buyer is very tired of the ADM thing, including myself. You cannot blame the manufacturer for that. The Mfr is not doing this, it's your dealer.

We live in a free market society, supply & demand. Demand will drop on the '500. In fact, I see the ADMs on these dropping already. By late spring, with the production of this (Shelby GT) car in full swing--and the '500 being produced-- you will see ADMs pretty much disappear. If you want a special car that many covet, you either have to be prepared to pay...or wait. Or, if you have a special relationship with a dealer, pursue that avenue. Remember, anything special is worth waiting for. My .02

I think CobraFan and Crispy23C are both correct that the GT500 prices will come way down. Fords stated production mix is:

-Mustang GT - maximum of 51% of production

-GT500 - "is set at 10%" of production

-Mustang V6 - minimum of 39% of production

At present production levels that means we could see 12K (or more) 2007 GT500s -- even more than Ford's commitment when they upped the production nums from 7K to 9K.

So why didn't Ford just say 12K (or more)? I'm guessing now, but I suspect it's because of potential Tremec supply constraints. The TR6060 in the GT500 was designed in concert with Ford and is presently produced ONLY for the GT500 (it will also go into next years Z06/Z07) but is Trememc's new gold-standard 6-speed and the improvements in the TR6060 will be incorporated into all of Tremec's high-torque 6-speeds. Until that production conversion ramps up they will likely be in short supply and may be limited to the specific production amount Ford quoted (9K) -- that's my hunch.

So I predict that Ford will produce an absolute minimum of 9K 2007 GT500s.

You may also be aware that the GT500s are allocated in "rounds" by region in the following priority order:

- Ford President's Award dealers

- Ford full-line SVT dealers

- Ford SVT-Focus dealers

- Other GT500-certified dealers (as of the June cut-off date)

I don't know how many dealers nationwide actuallly are certified in the GT500 program across all categories above. My guess is that it's somewhere around 500-600 (Just a guess: a few hundred SVT and few hundred PA and other cert -- just a swag -- adjust the number accordingly if you have a better one). Assuming 600 for a moment, 9K GT500s says, on average, 15/dealer in 2007. Now here's where it gets cloudy... It appears that each allocation round (based on the priority order above) will yield about 8 COMMITTED units, assuming the dealers in question have enough base/GT mustang sales to pull their full allocation. But that only accounts for 4800 of the 9000 units. Present production rates, as far as I can tell, are running at a level consistent with 9K units and there were roughly 800 produced in August.

The remainder of production after the specific allocation rounds will likely be doled out by a process used widely in Ford called "share-of-nation." That simply means that the remainder will be spread among the dealers who want them based on their mustang sales volume commitment relative to total actual remaining production (I don't know what the specific allocation formula is or even if it exists yet). So, that says to me that larger dealers could stand to get quite a few more units. Also, if, for some unusual reason, GT500 demand dries up, those large dealers may wind up getting those GT500 whether they want them or not -- an unlikely scenario for this car, but such volume-push is commonplace when demand is down and production is already set due to hard-parts buy/production commitments.

I think this is one of the reasons we're seeing dealers being so aggressive (and some unethically pricing and/or illegally renegging on existing deals) with e-bay/auctions and outrageous ADMs. They better get every cent they can now, because things could change rapidly over the winter especially for dealers doing transfer-buys.

These dealers are buying (transfer-buy) GT500s with significant ADMs already applied, and then auctioning them at even higher prices. This makes it easy for the smaller dealer to get a nice price (MSRP + modest ADM) without the need to even get involved in ADM pricing directly with actual customers (many ethical long-standing dealers are reluctant to overprice any vehicle and risk damaging their customer's trust). The larger dealer buying with an existing ADM, however, is now taking a larger risk and must sell at an even higher price to make a profit. This is unfortunate for us -- enthusiasts just trying to get one at a fair price! The large "black-hole" dealers (who "suck up" all GT500s within their marketing gravitational pull) will be the ones who will get stuck (if any do -- and it will serve them right) if the market price for the GT500 contracts below thier transfer-buy purchase price -- I hope a significant number get stuck with overpriced units so that this fiasco will not repeat in the future. Unfortunately, it's unlikely they will get stuck -- there's a lot of money out there and a lot of demand for this very desireable car.

Let's hope the same doesn't happen to the Shelby GT. I was hoping that Shelby Autos might have a separate marketing agreement with Ford dealers who sell their cars so that some controls might be put on sale prices if such agreement fell outside the scope of Ford's existing dealer Franchise Agreements. I suspect that won't be the case since I suspect SA's marketing of the Shelby GT is, I believe, subsumed under Ford's existing dealer franchise contracts (AmyB, any insight?). So, potentially, we'll be in for the exact same BS as with the GT500, only maybe toned down a bit if for no other reason than demand may be a bit lower for the Shelby GT's lower (but superb) performance -- dunnno -- only time will tell. The fact that Shelby Las Vegas actually has a hand in making that car may kick the ADMs right back up like the the GT500.

However, I do think that the GT500 will eventually come down to MSRP, and possibly a bit below, in the winter following the last (second) year of production. I've literally never seen a car with an MSRP under $75K and over 5K units/year not get to MSRP or below -- eventually.

So, I'm sitting tight and waiting. But good luck to you all, whatever you decide. The GT500 is an awesome car and certainly a high-water mark for the mustang. My personal purchase value on this car is $37-38K, not because it's market value isn't more (the market has determined it is much more), but because that's what the car should be priced at based on traditional margins and actual content costs. Will it ever get down that low? Very unlikely I think, but I don't think anyone knows at this point.

Peace

-Dan

Extremely well put, 68. Couldn't agree more. With regards to your question: " I suspect SA's marketing of the Shelby GT is, I believe, subsumed under Ford's existing dealer franchise contracts (AmyB, any insight?)."

She answers in this thread:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=137

You are correct-- this is a Ford sell-through. So, I guess we'll all have to wait & see...

Archived