TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Build Progress Update

Paleoc

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the cars look great i just picked up my vista blue v6 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soon it will be a CS6 ;)

Make sure you replace the stock driveshaft. The stock unit is a total POS. If you supercharge, think about a hi-po clutch as well. When I built mine, no one made one. Now SPEC and Centerforce both have some for the V6. I have a build log at http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=29129 which may help you a little.

Car at the builder's race track (Motorsports Park Hastings - MPH) during driver training. The CS6 kit cut 22 seconds off the lap time from stock. Now I'm trying to find out if it had a good lap time or just a fair lap time?

edit- Evidently turns out that this is an excellent time particularly considering that the builder didn't push the car hard.

4-7-2007-07394.jpg

Car at the builder's race track (Motorsports Park Hastings - MPH) during driver training. The CS6 kit cut 22 seconds off the lap time from stock. Now I'm trying to find out if it had a good lap time or just a fair lap time?

4-7-2007-07394.jpg

Are you running staggered tire sizes If so what do you use in the rear? thanks, nice ride

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a great deal on new '07 Mustangs. But this dealership refuses to even try to make a deal work with me. It happens to me everytime I go to this dealership. If they have this sale next weekend i'm gonna go to one of their competitors and have them match the price.

Im thinking about making a stage 1 myself, but im unsure of the requirements, can I buy a GT take off rear bumper from a take off store, or does it have to be a shelby authorized dealer even though its not a Shelby rear bumper but a GT? thanks.

Im thinking about making a stage 1 myself, but im unsure of the requirements, can I buy a GT take off rear bumper from a take off store, or does it have to be a shelby authorized dealer even though its not a Shelby rear bumper but a GT? thanks.

It's just a rear GT bumper. You can find them all over the place and even in the color of your car. Example, I haven't done so yet but since I put on the CS^ front and the GT500 rear I am going to be selling mine.

It's just a rear GT bumper. You can find them all over the place and even in the color of your car. Example, I haven't done so yet but since I put on the CS^ front and the GT500 rear I am going to be selling mine.

thanks Ive been going crazy trying to find the answers out to these questions, cause right now I have single exhaust, and thought it wouldnt be stage 1 unless it had the GT stuff. now Im going to just make it stage 1, then put the optional stuff on like duals, and rocker panels.

• 2 weeks later...

Flew out to Nebraska to drive the car at the driving school (www.racemph.com) for the first time. It was actually the first time I have seen the car in person. Car is being delivered home next weekend.

Here is what driving it was like:

The car looks 100% better in person. The car, the wheels and the stripes are metallic flake which doesn't show up in the pictures.

Driving on the track: Scared the piss out of me as the car can pull an astonishing amount of G’s. I actually made myself car sick driving it. With the instructor driving (3 time champion), it was really frightening as he made what amounted to 90+ degree turns at about 70mph and pinned me against the door. I let him take the car (he did about 10 laps by himself) so he could really open it up. He said it handled like his race prepped Miata. He said he only had to tap the brakes once on the whole course and the rest of the time he just let off the gas to slow it before punching it again. He was doing 115 on the long straight in 4th gear. He said the handling was on par with the Ford racing mustangs he had driven and was perfectly neutral which amazed him since it was running on street tires. He also kept fussing at me to check the temperature gauge (it was 87 degrees out). After he ran it, he stated how he kept waiting for it to overheat or run hot and instead he couldn’t get over the fact that the engine temperature was actually lower after running it hard than when it was just sitting before he started out (I had added an oil cooler). He also liked the fact that the supercharger built up steadily rather than just kicking in all of a sudden like a turbocharger or roots type supercharger.

The car didn’t push, it didn’t oversteer or understeer, it didn’t squeal tires, and the only body roll appeared after pushing it over 1g and then it wasn’t excessive. The car went exactly where you pointed it and I had a hard time trusting it, having never driven a car that could handle anywhere close to this.

The car is being delivered back here next weekend. Driving it across country would have been too much. Plus every time I got gas I drew a group of people, so there would have been delay after delay trying to come home.

The car is surprisingly loud, it sounds like my previously owned 69 Torino Cobra (428 SCJ) in that it sounds like a big block engine (even lopes slightly at idle - maybe due to the larger throttle body) and nothing at all like a V6 – no drone what-so-ever. I am going to add some dynomat to the trunk as it is headache inducing loud just puttering around town.

Funny side note: The dealer who sold me the car was at the same school. He had brought a 4 door 2008 Fusion to run (had dealer tags on it). On the last set of laps to get the certification I came into last sets of turns (a tight turn followed by a short straight, followed by an even tighter turn and then the start-finish straight). I check my rear view mirror and there is this dark grey, 4-door Fusion grocery getter on my ass. So I cranked into the first turn as hard as I could even before my instructor could started yelling "head for the cone" as he always did (I'm sure my instructor could have done it twice as hard but...). As soon as I come out of the turn, again before my instructor could yell - "floor it (as he always did)", I nailed the accelerator and heard the supercharger kick in. I cranked through the last turn as hard as I could and entered the start-finish straight away. I was proud of myself and figured that is that I is that last I will see of him and then I looked into the mirror and there is that <bleep> 4-door grocery getter still sitting on my ass. I just hope the instructor was driving and not the student car dealer as that would make it even worse. I gave up, and waved him to pass. I could have pulled away from him on the straight but I figured he'd just catch up to me on the next corner. I was very, very impressed with the Fusion's performance.

Another funny side note: The instructor and his son both have race modified miata's - no plates, race tires, cages, no radio or other comfort items, etc. So he is scanning my buttons looking for the traction control shut off button. And it's fully equipped, so he's tsk, tsk'ing in his head about all the extraneous luxury crap. So he says, "Well at least it doesn't have heated seats." So I pointed out the button for the heated seats.

101_0860.jpg

101_0859.jpg

101_0849.jpg

101_0847.jpg

101_0844.jpg

101_0846.jpg

A note for C6 builders:

I had this really annoying rattle from the rear. At idle, it would just rattle incredibly. At speed, I think the exhaust drowned it out. Everyone thought it was in the exhaust since it sounded like it. Well today I found the source of the rattle and as I suspected it was something really simple and stupid. The GT rear fascia has plastic support brace which runs from the bottom of the center of the rear fascia to the back of the frame of the car. Since my car is a V6, the rear fascia originally didn’t extend as far down the back and there was no hole in the frame to bolt the support brace to. So this stupid plastic brace was just hanging down and banging against the frame which is a nice, large flat piece of metal which made a beautiful sounding board kind of like in a piano. Unfortunately it was a bit out of tune. It was too tight to get a drill in to drill a hole in the frame and I didn’t know what was on the other side of the metal and I didn’t want a surprise, so I just cut the stupid plastic brace off with a small saw which took all of 30 seconds. Problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...

More issues:

The hood rubbed on the plenum cover and more seriously, the hood is too close to the supercharger so the resin in the fibreglass above the supercharger was being heated and slowly melted by the supercharger.

I took it to a local body shop and had them notch the bottom of the hood for clearance above the supercharger and the plenum cover. The cut a small square hole above the supercharger in one of the underhood braces to clear it and cut away about half of the area for a hood scoop in the bottom of the hood to clear the plenum cover (the hood is two piece so the top part wasn't touched).

The plenum stopped rubbing at the areas it originally was, but now since it sat deeper into the hood scoop area, it started rubbing farther back on the front of the plenum cover ribs. I fixed this but cutting the rest of the hood scoop area on the bottom of the hood.

The notch for the supercharger fixed much of the melting problem but not all of it. A smaller amount of epoxy was still getting melted out of the bottom of the hood. I figured this was due to a heat build up in the area underneath the hood near the supercharger (which is also near the air intake). I decided to fix this by making the hood at least partially functional as a heat extractor. The fake rubber hood grill on the top of the hood has simulated holes in it. I found a bit for my drill the same size as these fake holes and drilled 21 of them out on each side of the center (turning them into real holes) in the top row which took the new real holes to the edge of the stripes. Drilling additional holes further out on each side or in lower rows could allow water which builds up in the low areas on each side of the notch to leak into the hood. I was very conservative in the amount of holes drilled and probably could go lower and/or wider on each side by adding more holes without water leakage. However, I believe that this has solved most of the heat buildup problem. Important note, this modification will do absolutely nothing unless openings have been cut into the underside of the hood. Since the hood was cut out for the supercharger and the plenum clearances, I have airflow from the engine compartment (and more importantly the supercharger) through the hood to the holes I drilled out, allowing at least some heat to escape.

I attempted to fix the rattle which still continued. I tracked most of the rattle to the exhaust system. I will have to finish tracking it down sometime soon. In the meantime, I found that the rear fascia and the license plate bracket both vibrated in sympathy with the exhaust making a lot of noise. I removed the license plate bracket. The rear fascia is held on with cheesy plastic clips which can move and vibrate quite nicely. I drilled and bolted some short metal braces to clips and to the car frame preventing them and the fascia from moving freely and vibrating. After looking at sound deadening material on the internet and finding it was very expensive, me and my wife happened to be in Sears cashing a gift certificate. She found some rubber floor lining for garages which fit together like puzzle pieces and came in 6 2x2 foot sections for $20. We bought a set of 6 and brought it home. Cut the pieces to fit the trunk wheel well and the trunk. Objects in the trunk now don't bang around as much and the sound from rattles and exhaust is greatly deadened. Between the fascia fix and the trunk lining, I reduced interior noise by at least 50%.

I installed the lower front grill. The instructions would have you disassemble the front end of the car to install this cheap piece of mesh. I DON'T THINK SO! I put the front of the car on ramps (I found some that fit the 10 inch wide wheels) and installed the grill from underneath. I had to drop the intercooler radiator to get the grill in. The grill was about 1/2 inch too tall to fit properly (it might fit if you installed it at the same time the front fascia was installed). I bolted the grill on with 4 bolts in the bottom and 1 on each side (the top didn't fit in, so I couldn't bolt it). The grill doesn't move or rattle and from the front you can't tell that it does not fit in completely. It looks perfectly fine.

Reinstalling the windshield washers with a two-piece hood would be a major issue. I bought a washer relocation kit (relocates the washers to the wiper blades). Again the instructions would have you disassemble much of the front of the car and use tools like drills, fork tools (whatever that is) and a hammer!? to install the kit. Instead the old washer hose was routed through the fender to the big channel where the wipers are. The new hardware was hooked up the to old hose and then clipped down (with the supplied clips) to the channel. After testing the running wipers for clearance and function. I cut the new hose to fit. No drilling, no hammering and it looks professional and works correctly.

Driving impressions. Definitely not a commuter car, the suspension is very tight and doesn't like rough roads, pot holes are a major no-no and speed bumps will definitely bring the car to a crawl.

Turning: Brakes are completely optional. If you feel like slowing down, touch the brakes, if you don't, just turn the wheel, it will make the turn - no body roll, no tire squealing, no problem. Your passengers may complain, however.

Acceleration, touch the gas, everyone else vanishes in the rear view mirror. From a standing start, before you are ready (2 seconds), the red shift light blinks, shift into second, a very, very few short seconds later (3 seconds), the light blinks again. Quickest and most maneuverable car I have ever driven.

B)-->

QUOTE(Amy B @ Aug 3 2006, 07:36 AM) 592[/snapback]

this is a great thread, I think a "build " section might be better, great job guys, keep it coming and pictures!!!!

Hi guys I'm new and in Oz and have been reading all the threads on the CS6 as I think this would have to be one of he sweetest muscle cars out there But! I Have a few questions that need answering (or clearing up) And also guys your cars are very niiiiice.

As I can figure Shelby can't put there name to the Cs6 officially or they would provide a plaque for complete CS6,CS8 upgrades. Even if done by a Shelby Dealer? Why doesnt Shelby do a special plaque for each of there builders maybe something like Shelby endorsed CS6 Built by Walden,Hillbank,Tampa Bay etc sign it and enter into the registra,or a special registra. Otherwise whats the point of putting all the Shelby stickers and logos on? Because at the end of the day it's not going to be worth any more than any other modified mustang.. I mean if someone is willing to do a complete upgrade with there components that they give warrenty on why not reward the customer for that.

Next question Auto versus manual I cant find much info on comparisons, and guys how does the V6 with all the fruit really sound and go???? Is the 350hp accurate orjust a neat figure asin the GT500 (450hp) onelast question is the CS6 with suspension upgrades available in the package abit tighter in the cornering as the GT500 looks a little loose in the Videos.

I hope to build in the near future any feedback on Good reliable builders would behelpfull as im in OZ so can't just goand check on things to easily , keep the threads rolling .

Come on Shelby do the right thing Reward where reward is due

Galvo

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amy B @ Aug 3 2006, 07:36 AM) 592[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Next question Auto versus manual I cant find much info on comparisons, and guys how does the V6 with all the fruit really sound and go???? Is the 350hp accurate orjust a neat figure asin the GT500 (450hp) onelast question is the CS6 with suspension upgrades available in the package abit tighter in the cornering as the GT500 looks a little loose in the Videos.

Galvo

It sounds like a small block V8. I am having my car dyno'd tuned next week and will post the results. I figure over 350 to the crank (I have shorty headers and a TB) but we will see. The car handles considerably better than a GT500 would. There is no looseness, body roll, or tire squeal. The driving instructor (3 time SCAA champion) said it handled like a race prepped mustang (FRPP mustang - boy racer).

More issues:

The hood rubbed on the plenum cover and more seriously, the hood is too close to the supercharger so the resin in the fibreglass above the supercharger was being heated and slowly melted by the supercharger.

I took it to a local body shop and had them notch the bottom of the hood for clearance above the supercharger and the plenum cover. The cut a small square hole above the supercharger in one of the underhood braces to clear it and cut away about half of the area for a hood scoop in the bottom of the hood to clear the plenum cover (the hood is two piece so the top part wasn't touched).

The plenum stopped rubbing at the areas it originally was, but now since it sat deeper into the hood scoop area, it started rubbing farther back on the front of the plenum cover ribs. I fixed this but cutting the rest of the hood scoop area on the bottom of the hood.

Your not alone, in fact I think I am done with going further with this kit. My hood is still rubbing even after having it modified and the motor lowered with stiff engine mounts to prevent engine flex. Now it rubs the strut bolts on both sides of the engine bay and thats not from the engine but from body flex.

All the work.......I feel sick

It sounds like a small block V8. I am having my car dyno'd tuned next week and will post the results. I figure over 350 to the crank (I have shorty headers and a TB) but we will see. The car handles considerably better than a GT500 would. There is no looseness, body roll, or tire squeal. The driving instructor (3 time SCAA champion) said it handled like a race prepped mustang (FRPP mustang - boy racer).

Paleoc I just saw a small vid of your car at the track with the guy driving one handed with a video (brave man) sounded awsome although I get where your coming from for regular driving maybe a bit hard to have a conversation with the wife and you couldnt here the kids in the back. (I think I would leave the car as it is ,hahahaha) I know I saw a link to a complete spec sheet you had but cannot find it again could you please fwd. Also could you recomend a Shelby builder to do the complete project that I could trust wholehartedly. So is your car stage3 now? How much have you lowered the car or have you just done the standed CS6 upgrades what extras are definately needed , A lot of questions hey, but my car is going to cost a shitload more than you guys as where I live freight, + $20000 to convert to right hand drive Im looking at $100000 Ozzie $ so I want to get it spot on. Walden has got back to me so it is a start but i think I needto do a heap of research so I dont bug these guys to much untill I know EXACTLY what I want. Ihave been noticing a few discrepancies in the cars although all looking fantastic I want it to be as it was meant to be by Shelby. Ps I f my car turns out like yours Iwill be soooo happy.

Researching my Dream

Galvo

Paleoc I just saw a small vid of your car at the track with the guy driving one handed with a video (brave man) sounded awsome although I get where your coming from for regular driving maybe a bit hard to have a conversation with the wife and you couldnt here the kids in the back. (I think I would leave the car as it is ,hahahaha) I know I saw a link to a complete spec sheet you had but cannot find it again could you please fwd. Also could you recomend a Shelby builder to do the complete project that I could trust wholehartedly. So is your car stage3 now? How much have you lowered the car or have you just done the standed CS6 upgrades what extras are definately needed , A lot of questions hey, but my car is going to cost a shitload more than you guys as where I live freight, + $20000 to convert to right hand drive Im looking at $100000 Ozzie $ so I want to get it spot on. Walden has got back to me so it is a start but i think I needto do a heap of research so I dont bug these guys to much untill I know EXACTLY what I want. Ihave been noticing a few discrepancies in the cars although all looking fantastic I want it to be as it was meant to be by Shelby. Ps I f my car turns out like yours Iwill be soooo happy.

Researching my Dream

Galvo

Sending you an email.

Archived