TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Build Progress Update

Paleoc

I would like to post some install pics of the rear facia, but it came in all scratched up and I have to get a quote on the repair, I also would like to post some pics of the hood, but it came in all torn up and cracked and I refused delivery, I also would like to post some pics of the free license plate holder you get with an order, but they were not in the box that was shipped to me.

But how do you mount those lights to the grille.

Anybody with a pony package grille will need to buy a regular v6 grille, does not look like it will mount to the pony package.

At least the radiator cover fit.

Its been a long 6 months, and I give up, does anybody need a grille or the letter set?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My car's been wearing that hood for some time now and has no such deformations. I would guess that it was caused by popping the hood without releasing the pins first, probably more than a few times, and that caused the pressure required to make those dents.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

GT-HHoodProblem.jpg

This GT-H hood shows some deformation around the hood pins. Can anyone from Shelby or Hillbank verify what happened?

See under GT-H discussion:

"My car's been wearing that hood for some time now and has no such deformations. I would guess that it was caused by popping the hood without releasing the pins first, probably more than a few times, and that caused the pressure required to make those dents.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc."

Junkyard dog

The car has been stripped down and is waiting for many of the body parts, wheels and supercharger to arrive. The Shelby suspension has been installed along with many of the additional aftermarket parts (non-Shelby) I am adding, i.e. throttle body, aluminum driveshaft, lower control arms, JBA wires, JBA headers, gauges, SOS gauge pillar, high-performance clutch, etc. One warning note: On the 2007 model, in addition to changing the rear spoiler they have made some changes to the under dash wiring for who knows what reason.

The total effect of this is make a brand-new car look like its spent some hard time in the junkyard.

This of course is just a transitory state and in the next few weeks, it will actually begin to take on its final form.

04163.jpg

Paleoc, she does look kind of sad. :(

But she will definitely turn into a butterfly once she's done. ;)

Do you have a before dyno run on her? It would be interesting to compare the before and after. :)

No dyno run but I do have a long video of it taken from inside of it being run on a 2.3 mile track. After it is finished the builder will run it on the track again.

Paleoc,

I'm getting conflicting information on connecting the 8.8 rear end to the drive shaft. I see you are installing an aluminum shaft. Is this a V6 shaft? Initially I want to install the 8.8 rear end using my existing V6 drive shaft. So far I've got two different opinions on how to do this, use a spacer from a Ford Ranger or use an 03-04 Cobra flange. Did you encounter this and if so how did you work it out?

Paleoc,

I'm getting conflicting information on connecting the 8.8 rear end to the drive shaft. I see you are installing an aluminum shaft. Is this a V6 shaft? Initially I want to install the 8.8 rear end using my existing V6 drive shaft. So far I've got two different opinions on how to do this, use a spacer from a Ford Ranger or use an 03-04 Cobra flange. Did you encounter this and if so how did you work it out?

Its a V6 shaft, I haven't had any feedback on installation of it yet from the builder but I will keep you informed when I hear. But one thing I do know is that you need to dump your stock driveshaft. The stock driveshaft is only rated for 115mph. I have read on a forum of someone's stock driveshaft exploding when they exceeded the recommended speed. Many of the 2005 driveshafts had the universal joints simply pressed in. The u-joints simply come apart after a certain speed. Later shafts had retainers but the driveshafts still vibrate badly at speed. The stock driveshafts are 2 piece, poorly made, very heavy and are a total POS.

Its a V6 shaft, I haven't had any feedback on installation of it yet from the builder but I will keep you informed when I hear. But one thing I do know is that you need to dump your stock driveshaft. The stock driveshaft is only rated for 115mph. I have read on a forum of someone's stock driveshaft exploding when they exceeded the recommended speed. Many of the 2005 driveshafts had the universal joints simply pressed in. The u-joints simply come apart after a certain speed. Later shafts had retainers but the driveshafts still vibrate badly at speed. The stock driveshafts are 2 piece, poorly made, very heavy and are a total POS.

there are take off 8.8 axles with 3:31 for the automatic that i found at an ebay store. Ive bought parts from this store already and am very happy. My question is, does anybody know how hard it would be to replace my stock V6 axle with this take off from a GT. Are there any issues with the traction control, brakes, etc.? Any driveshaft upgrade ideas?

I'm aware of that and am planning on eventually installing a Powerhouse aluminum unit (they suggested the Cobra yoke), but initially I'd like to run the stock driveshaft while saving for the aluminum driveshaft and so I can run if while the warranty on the drive shaft is still in effect.

Edit: The Cobra yoke referred to above is part number E9TZ-4851-A

I called Shelby today and talked to Ted on the drive shaft to 8.8 rear end installation. According to Ted, the CS6 rear ends have the Mustang GT flange or yoke replaced with a flange that will allow it to connect to the V6 driveshaft. The flange/yoke part number E9TZ-4851-A. Ted said all the rear ends they are sending out are already equipped with this flange, including the GT-H units which were available through Hillbank for the CS6 conversion. You can identify this flange because its face is flat, where the stock Mustang GT flange is a cupped shape (I'll try and get a picture of graphic showing the difference). There was some question about the length of the V6 drive shaft, but Ted says that is not a problem. Ted is in the process of building his own CS6 and it sounds like he has everything done except installation of the front fascia.

Just in case, the E9TZ-4851-A flange is available from DTS (http://www.drivetrainspecrapts.com/categories/yokes/products/product-1117.html), for $47.26 plus shipping, and/or probably from your local Ford dealer.

Paleoc, can you post a picture of the flange/yoke on the rear end you received?

there are take off 8.8 axles with 3:31 for the automatic that i found at an ebay store. Ive bought parts from this store already and am very happy. My question is, does anybody know how hard it would be to replace my stock V6 axle with this take off from a GT. Are there any issues with the traction control, brakes, etc.? Any driveshaft upgrade ideas?

My local shop is quoting me between $150 and $250, depending on the time it takes to remove the existing rear end, remove the brakes from it, install the brakes on the 8.8 and hang the 8.8. They have a lift, etc. which would make it much easier. For a DIY situation you will probably need an assistant and figure a weekend or maybe a long weekend. This is just a SWIG (scientific wild-ass guess) though. :rolleyes: So take it for what it's worth.

Traction control is an unknown. I would suspect that the GT rear end will accept whatever connection TCS requires since the GTs also come with it. This is probably a good time to invest in a 05+ Mustang shop manual. ;)

If you did not get the rear end from Hillbank you will want to verify the flange/yoke situation on the rear end before you start tearing things apart or you may be walking while you await delivery of the yoke. Again, Shelby has verified that the yoke/flange part number is E9TZ-4851-A.

Paleoc,

I spoke with the builders today and they said the Powerhouse aluminum driveshaft bolted right up, no extra parts needed, evidently the axles we are getting are already configured.

How do you post pictures? I have many updates to show you guys.

Jason,

1. Go to www.photobucket.com and establish an account (it's free).

2. Then upload the pictures you want to show on this site.

3. Initiate a message and click on the icon in the tool bar that looks like a picture of a tree.

4. Photobucket displays three lines below the picture you uploaded. Highlight the top one and cut and paste it into the dialog box that opens when you click on the tree picture icon and click ok. A line will appear in the which is bracketed by two img commands, the trailing one with a / in front of img. This is the command to display the picture.

You may need to use the Paint program which comes with Windows to adjust the size of the pictures if they are too big for the message display on the web site.

Hope that helps.

Archived