TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So, what's next for Ford?

Paul810

First with the mustangs. Any idea when Ford might release some info about the next "middle of the line" performance mustang? Are they even going to make a Mach 1 replacement? What will it be named, so far I've heard Mach 1, Boss, Boss 302, Bullit, GT350, Cobra......which tells me no one has any idea. Next, what engine will it have? A non supercharged 5.4L like they did with the Mach 1 and the 4.6L DOHC Cobra engine? A 302/5.0L? The '03/'04 Cobra motor? Since it doesn't look like I'll be getting my hands on a GT500 any time soon I'd like to know what my future options are, or if I should really spend the $10,000+ over MSRP to have a piece of the GT500 action.

Next, what else is Ford doing performance vehicle wise? I've heard an SVT Fusion and Edge as well as some kind of truck, either the Adrenaline or a truck based off the F150? They really should make the Adrenaline, I know a ton of people around here who wanted one. Personally I would take one in Explorer form, would be nice competition to the Trailblazer SS.

Anything else? Do we know anything for sure yet? I'm getting a bit bored sitting here waiting, I just want some kind of solid info as to weither or not we will see any of those things in my lifetime. :)

First with the mustangs. Any idea when Ford might release some info about the next "middle of the line" performance mustang? Are they even going to make a Mach 1 replacement? What will it be named, so far I've heard Mach 1, Boss, Boss 302, Bullit, GT350, Cobra......which tells me no one has any idea. Next, what engine will it have? A non supercharged 5.4L like they did with the Mach 1 and the 4.6L DOHC Cobra engine? A 302/5.0L? The '03/'04 Cobra motor? Since it doesn't look like I'll be getting my hands on a GT500 any time soon I'd like to know what my future options are, or if I should really spend the $10,000+ over MSRP to have a piece of the GT500 action.

Next, what else is Ford doing performance vehicle wise? I've heard an SVT Fusion and Edge as well as some kind of truck, either the Adrenaline or a truck based off the F150? They really should make the Adrenaline, I know a ton of people around here who wanted one. Personally I would take one in Explorer form, would be nice competition to the Trailblazer SS.

Anything else? Do we know anything for sure yet? I'm getting a bit bored sitting here waiting, I just want some kind of solid info as to weither or not we will see any of those things in my lifetime. :)

High Paul, I've heard similar rumors and I have no official inside info, but a few things seems clear from talking with some auto alliance employees at Ford and others close the business. There will definately be more hi-po stangs. The general rollout is almost certainly a new flavor-of-the-year variation each year for at least the next several years -- each with a two-year run. That is, the GT500 is the first and will run two years, next year's flavor will overlap with it one year and run two years , and so on. The hot rumors for the next few years from Ford (besides whatever Shelby Autos may do as their own baby -- stay tuned -- like a GT500KR ;-) are the S197 (Boss -- 302/351? V8/V10? road-car/racer variant?), a Mach, and possibly a Bullitt. My gut tells me the Boss is a definate and the next one will also fly but not clear what it actually will be. I think the Bullitt is still up in the air because a new mustang is planned for '09, but will probably actually be '10 and maybe the bullitt would be on the new base -- who knows. Again, this is all speculation in terms how the two-year rolling flavor-of-the-year plan will be populated, but that there will be a series of hi-po varients over the next several years seems almost certain, starting with an '08 model that will overlap the year two of the GT500. Certainly anything can change but that's my best shot at what's the most likely roll.

I've also heard about the SVT Fusion etc and kinda like the idea (tho I'd rather see a rear-drive small v8 Fisuin variant -- not gonna happen) -- the fusion is hot and I think it is a winner so an SVT makes sense to me. I've heard nothing solid on the F150, but my bet is that a real lightning on that base doesn't make sense because it weighs 800lbs more than the previous F150. I'd put my money on the new Ranger (has moved out a bit I think) as the best candidate for a killer SVT base, and that would be my preference as well.

WHo knows... there are certainly exciting times again!

Archived