TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Extended Warranty??

So my Shelby was supposed to be Delivered Today, still hasn't turned up! Like I thought it even would!!

Anyhow, I phoned the Dealer and I got talking with the Business/Financial Guy who was trying to sell me the end user goodies. You know, Boomerang Tracking, Rustproofing, Fabric Guard, Paint Sealant, etc, etc....

I asked him, "what about an Extended Warranty"? He replies that there, "isn't one available".....

Hmmm. I asked him if he was sure and he said 99% positive. Although I have no intention of purchasing an Extended Warranty, it still doesn't sound right? Can somebody confirm whether this is true? isellford, Five Oh B, Anyone?? :shrug:

So my Shelby was supposed to be Delivered Today, still hasn't turned up! Like I thought it even would!!

Anyhow, I phoned the Dealer and I got talking with the Business/Financial Guy who was trying to sell me the end user goodies. You know, Boomerang Tracking, Rustproofing, Fabric Guard, Paint Sealant, etc, etc....

I asked him, "what about an Extended Warranty"? He replies that there, "isn't one available".....

Hmmm. I asked him if he was sure and he said 99% positive. Although I have no intention of purchasing an Extended Warranty, it still doesn't sound right? Can somebody confirm whether this is true? isellford, Five Oh B, Anyone?? :shrug:

I can check and let you know. I was told there is but will double check.

Say NO to the rustproofing, fabric guard.

I can check and let you know. I was told there is but will double check.

Say NO to the rustproofing, fabric guard. My car will not get them or even get prepped by dealer.

I will take it home and do it myself.

Once its off transport I have already said KNOWONE else is to touch it. (drive it)

Ok, Yes its going to be my Demo car!

Buy a new mustang get a test in a new Shelby.............................

:shrug: OK... this might sound like a really dumb question>>> Can you actually request that no one touch the car after it's off the transport? My thoughts are that it might be cause to void the warranty if the car wasn't checked by the dealer for such things as fluid levels, mechanical operation, etc.

Anyone want to provide there thoughts, I'm sure there are alot of us who want to make sure it isn't messed with in any way. :shrug:

:shrug: OK... this might sound like a really dumb question>>> Can you actually request that no one touch the car after it's off the transport? My thoughts are that it might be cause to void the warranty if the car wasn't checked by the dealer for such things as fluid levels, mechanical operation, etc.

Anyone want to provide there thoughts, I'm sure there are alot of us who want to make sure it isn't messed with in any way. :shrug:

yes you can request that. They will need to get it in to check it out but they do not have to remove all the plastic, window sticker etc

THATS TRUE BLUE OVAL BUT I'M PRETTY SURE THAT THEY HAVE TO DO A PDI BECAUSE I WAS TOLD THAT THEY HAVE TO FLASH THE COMPUTER TO GET IT OFF THE MANUFACTURERS SETTING WHICH LIMITS THE CAR'S SPEED AND RPMS SO PEOPLE COULDN'T DOG IT BEFOR IT GOT TO THE DEALER. I COULD BE WRONG BUT I WAS TOLD THIS FROM A COUPLE OF SALES MANAGERS AND SERVICE MANAGERS.

07 Shelby,

I just checked with my dealership finance guy a few days ago. He said they have a 7-year/70,000 mile extension for about $1700 (I didn't note the exact price!) and a Road Hazard on the tires for $399. I forgot to ask, but I think that was just three years.

07 Shelby,

I just checked with my dealership finance guy a few days ago. He said they have a 7-year/70,000 mile extension for about $1700 (I didn't note the exact price!) and a Road Hazard on the tires for $399. I forgot to ask, but I think that was just three years.

Even if not offered through Ford, there are other aftermarket companies that offer extended warranties. Although I've never bought one, my dad has bought several. Typically they have a small deductible to prevent people going in for petty items...maybe $25 or $50 per item.

Dave

THATS TRUE BLUE OVAL BUT I'M PRETTY SURE THAT THEY HAVE TO DO A PDI BECAUSE I WAS TOLD THAT THEY HAVE TO FLASH THE COMPUTER TO GET IT OFF THE MANUFACTURERS SETTING WHICH LIMITS THE CAR'S SPEED AND RPMS SO PEOPLE COULDN'T DOG IT BEFOR IT GOT TO THE DEALER. I COULD BE WRONG BUT I WAS TOLD THIS FROM A COUPLE OF SALES MANAGERS AND SERVICE MANAGERS.

intguys'

Actually all you have to do is drive car for 5 continuous miles without shutting off key and it will clear and allow full s/c boost

If you start and stop car 10 times for a couple miles each time it will not allow full power.

The tech does not have to do anything to car other than drive it for 5 continuous miles or more to allow full boost.

A smart transport driver could disconnect batter to reset computer and that should also work but would not expect them to know about it.

Anyone with a Shelby should request to be there when car is delivered and you will know about this.

And yes they do have to do the PDI on car but you can request the stickers, decals, protectant plastic and anything else you want left on will stay for you to take off.

Even if not offered through Ford, there are other aftermarket companies that offer extended warranties. Although I've never bought one, my dad has bought several. Typically they have a small deductible to prevent people going in for petty items...maybe $25 or $50 per item.

Dave

My experience with aftermarket warranties has not been very good.

A 7 yr / 75,000 mile Premium Care warranty with $100 ded is $1500.00. Add $310 for $0 ded.

The only Mustangs excluded are Cobra R, Rousch Stage 2&3, and Saleens.

I'd like to hear this from a 'tech' who had to take the 'certification' tests to service the GT500. Anyone?

This is the exact printout fromn the Oasis report for the Shelby:

19256 2007 SHELBY GT 500 MUSTANG - LIMITED ENGINE POWER/SUPERCHARGER BOOST AT DELIVERY

THE 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANG POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) STRATEGY CONTAINS A FEATURE TO LIMIT SUPERCHARGER BOOST PRESSURE FOR THE FIRST 5 CONSECUTIVE MILES OF VEHICLE OPERATION OR 50 ENGINE STARTS. THIS FEATURE IS ENABLED AT ASSEMBLY PRIOR TO SHIPMENT. IF NEITHER OF THESE CONDITIONS HAS BEEN SATISFIED PRIOR TO CUSTOMER DELIVERY, FULL POWER WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 07/03/2006

:shrug: OK! Can anyone explain exactly what checks are required for the PDI? Is there a specific checklist that must be followed? I really don't want anything more than the minimum checks done for a PDI. :shrug:

19256 2007 SHELBY GT 500 MUSTANG - LIMITED ENGINE POWER/SUPERCHARGER BOOST AT DELIVERY

THE 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANG POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) STRATEGY CONTAINS A FEATURE TO LIMIT SUPERCHARGER BOOST PRESSURE FOR THE FIRST 5 CONSECUTIVE MILES OF VEHICLE OPERATION OR 50 ENGINE STARTS. THIS FEATURE IS ENABLED AT ASSEMBLY PRIOR TO SHIPMENT. IF NEITHER OF THESE CONDITIONS HAS BEEN SATISFIED PRIOR TO CUSTOMER DELIVERY, FULL POWER WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE.

Excellent info isell, thanks.

Would you be able to post a pdf file of the PDI? Is it the same for all Fords...or does each model have a special PDI?

Thanks, Dave

My experience with aftermarket warranties has not been very good.

A 7 yr / 75,000 mile Premium Care warranty with $100 ded is $1500.00. Add $310 for $0 ded.

The only Mustangs excluded are Cobra R, Rousch Stage 2&3, and Saleens.

I very rarely purchase extended warranties for ANY products I buy, but $1,500 for a 7 year/75,000 mile $100 deductable extended warranty for the Shelby sounds pretty cheap to me. I don't plan to modify my Shelby, so this is a consideration. Anyone else out there think this sounds unexpectedly inexpensive? :shrug:

If it's that inexpensive to begin with, I think they will have more sales of this as an add-on during the 2yr (or 3yr) Shelby run. Seems like Ford might be showing some confidence in the vehicles that they are building?

Or

Could it be just another misinterpretation of the facts?

Prices may vary as do the size of things in your rear view mirror appear closer than they really are.

I guess we'll all learn about it at time of delivery, but I do hope that Ford doesn't try and hose everyone.

I guess that will prevent the truck drivers from running the crap out of the cars before they deliver them.

JB

If you have to have an extended warranty to make your ownership experience complete, buy only a Ford warranty. At least you can count on Ford to be around for a few years. Well, maybe considering thier current financial position...

DO NOT purchase an aftermarket warranty. Not worth the paper written on. Been there, done that. Only person that saw any benefit from it was the sales organization and some offshore company that took the money, closed the US operations with a worthless bankruptcy and lived the good life. This was from one of the largest and most respected aftermarket warranty companies of the day. And yes they had 'insurance' and bond backup. Worthless as well.

The Ford warranties leave you stuck with Ford service departments which is reason enough for me to stay away. I'll actually PAY for work that would be warranty covererd just to avoid the problems of the dealer service department. I have NEVER gone in for service at a ford dealer and not left with problems that were not there before. Damage to car or interior, shoddy workmanship, very poor customer/dealer comunication and less than competent mechanics. From what I have seen around the Houston area, all the decent mechanics figured out long ago that once they have decent experience there is far more money to be made elsewhere. Large independent shops seem to fair best with tenured experienced mechanics.

quote name='gt500hp' date='Jul 11 2006, 07:12 PM' post='26002']

My owner / dealer said no problem. (He is awesome and a PA Winner) They will back it off the truck and park it inside until I get there unless I pick it up at the rail yard. I want to see the plastic come off and the fluid levels checked. I will be driving it the first 5 consecutive miles probably with the owner and my wife. It will then go on (back) my trailer for the 1 1/2 hour ride home. I think my trailer will handle it..... See below.

1zx5kpf.jpg[

I see today in the news that Ford has extended the powertrain warranty on all 2007 cars and trucks to 5/60,000. Does anyone know if this includes the Shelby?

This is great news.....Just hope they don't exclude the Shelby for some unknown reason.

It would be typical if they actually made it an exception to the rule! :rant:

I guess they still consider the Shelby as a car! But who knows for sure, only time will tell.

Here's the only warranty that I've seen.

Detailed Warranty Information

BasicNew Vehicle Limited Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty, does not cover service adjustments/wear items/maintenance.

Basic Miles36,000

Basic Months36

TowingTowing is available to nearest Ford dealer for warranty covered breakdowns.

Towing Miles36,000

Towing Months36

Extended WarrantySeveral optional Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) are available for purchase.

AdjustmentsCovers adjustments such as tire balancing and wheel alignment.

Adjustments Miles12,000

Adjustments Months12

RustCovers corrosion related holes in outer body sheet metal. Coverage lasts for 36 months/36,000 miles if corrosion is a result of usage and/or environmental fallout, and does not cause holes. Paint is covered for 12 months/12,000 miles if damage is caused by environmental conditions with no defect involved.

Rust MilesUnlimited

Rust Months60

PowertrainPart of New Vehicle Limited Warranty. 6.0L & 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel Engine has extended warranty for 60 months/100,000 miles against any defects in materials and workmanship. $100 deductible per repair visit applies after Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty period ends. Focus models receive an extended powertrain warranty, components are covered for 60 months/100,000 miles.

Powertrain Miles36,000

Powertrain Months36

TiresCovers tires for defects in material or workmanship at no charge

Tires Miles36,000

Tires Month36

Safety RestraintCovers all seat belts against defects in material and workmanship.

Safety Restraint Miles50,000

Safety Restraint Months60

TransferabilityFully transferable to subsequent owners at no charge for remainder of warranty.

Perhaps somebody can find and post any new changes!

This is great news.....Just hope they don't exclude the Shelby for some unknown reason.

It would be typical if they actually made it an eception to the rule! :rant:

I guess they still consider the Shelby as a car! But who knows for sure, only time will tell.

Perhaps somebody can find and post any new changes!

Yes, the new 5yr/60,000mile warranty covers the GT500!! See Edmunds.com

Bold Move!! :happy feet:

Yes, the new 5yr/60,000mile warranty covers the GT500!! See Edmunds.com

Bold Move!! :happy feet:

The bumper to bumper warranty stays the same 3yr or 36,000 miles. Two years/ 60,000 mile is added to the powertrain.

Here's the article:

Ford Adds Two Years to Powertrain Warranties

Date posted: 07-14-2006

DEARBORN, Mich. — Taking a page from the Korean automakers' playbook, Ford on Thursday turned its attention to increasing the warranty coverage on its vehicles.

"We were not competitive with our warranty coverage against the Asian manufacturers," admitted Cisco Codina, vice president for Ford's North American marketing, sales and service.

However, the Korean manufacturers still hold the record for powertrain warranties. Hyundai, for example, offers a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

"We felt when we looked at Hyundai's powertrain warranty, we offer a better value," said Codina. "Ours is transferable. Secondly, most people don't keep the cars that long. A good percentage of our vehicles are leased. This is direct input from the customer's viewpoint."

The powertrain warranty improvements, which start Friday, are part of a larger product program that includes improved standard safety equipment on Ford vehicles and a beefed-up roadside assistance program. The previous powertrain warranty on Ford and Mercury vehicles was the same as the three-year, 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty for those brands. There is no change to the company's bumper-to-bumper warranties.

The new powertrain warranty "includes everything, including the [Ford] Shelby GT500," said Marty Collins, executive director of marketing for Ford and Lincoln Mercury. The new powertrain warranties are retroactive for people who have already purchased an '07 model, he said.

Ford also said it has eliminated the $100 deductible on its diesel trucks. Customers who purchase 2006 models after July 14 will be covered by a powertrain extended service plan similar to the new powertrain warranty, Collins said. On 2006 Ford and Mercury vehicles, the powertrain coverage extends to five years/60,000 miles; the '06 Lincoln models will come with an extended service plan of six years/75,000 miles. There will be a $100 deductible on the '06 models, the company said.

Ford said it will now offer free roadside assistance, including towing, fuel and lock-out service, for the entire warranty period on its vehicles. The automaker also has made side air curtains standard on 13 new or redesigned models for the '07 model year, including the Ford Fusion, Expedition, Edge, and Explorer Eddie Bauer and Limited, and the Lincoln MKX, MKZ and Navigator.

What this means to you: Ford may have touched off a new round in the warranty wars. Will GM and Chrysler follow suit?

That should severly limit the modification market. Suddenly your protecting a more valuable asset in the powertrain warrenty. I still intend to, but it might cause some hesitation for a lot of people. It is good to see the confidence that projects from that decision however.

• 2 weeks later...

So correct me if I'm wrong, this means that there is 3/36 bumper to bumper and a 5/60 on the drivetrain? That 5/60 drivetrain isn't an extended warrenty you have to purchase additionally right?

intguys,

the 5/60 power train is standard on all 2007 Ford including the Shelby GT500

the 70k is for Lincoln

There is an incoming check sheet that when vehicle comes off transport it is done. to make sure loose items are with vehicle and no damage. Person has to sign off on a check sheet to verify. Vehicle then goes over to shop for the PDI where fluids etc are checked.

The PDI has to be checked off to make sure everything is ok. If not and you have a engine problem because there was not proper amount of oil etc you/dealer/tech would be in deep doo doo.

Archived