TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Member--Ordered my first Mustang!!!

Mustang Buster

Well, I'm new here, and ordered my first Mustang on 20 June 2006. It is a 2007 GT Premium Convertible, and my dealership said I should have it no later than mid-August,. Now the anxious wait begins. While I have always just owned American cars, they have been GM's, as I had been a Corvette guy. However, I love the 2005+ body style, and now since we have a baby, the Mustang fits our needs much better. In addition to the standard equipment, here is what I ordered:

T85/180A GT Premium Convertible

44L Automatic Transmission

64W 18" Polished Wheels

17L Wheel Locking Kit

14A Active Anti-Theft

43A Front Seat Airbags

59B Convertible Soft Boot

50S Sirius Satellite Radio

53B Comfort Group

18G Interior Upgrade Package

68B Premier Trim Package

86C/CA Black Cloth Roof

TL Satin Silver Metallic

KW Dark Charcoal Leather Interior

90E Exhaust Tips

90S Wheel Cap Spinners

90W Floormats

67L Satin Panel

I pretty much ordered it fully loaded except for the GT Appearance Package because I didn't like the fake hood scoop (had it been functional I would have got it). I also didn't order the Shaker 1000, because I would rather have my trunk, and I don't need any extra weight. I already have enough of that with the rest of my order, ha, ha. I also ordered the auto trans instead of the five-speed with the 3.55 mainly for the wife, as that is what she wanted. But also because this this is going to be more of a cruiser for the whole family to enjoy. My 2000 C5 Corvette was a six-speed, and I will miss that, but the auto trans in the 2006 I test drove shifted pretty well and did not hunt, so I'm happy with that compromise.

So does anyone know how to track the order to get the dates more specific?

Looking forward to joining the herd!

Buster

Hi Buster - Glad to have you aboard!

Sounds like you've got a real cruiser on the way!

The Mustang isn't a Vettte - but it does give you the rear seats, which you'll need.

We have a great site here. Spend some time and see how much info is available.

I've got a niece down in Lauderdale, by the way.

Post some pics when you take delivery.

I ordered an '07 black coupe today. I should have it in about 6 weeks.

From the Tar Heel -

bryan :rockon:

Just realized where you are! I've got an aunt in Pensecola!

Hey man, welcome aboard......

Looks like you've made an excellent choice.

I can still remember clearly, the day I bought my first Mustang back in late 1964.

I was really stoked about that car and kept it for 18 years.

Good luck, to you and yours :rockon:

Well, for mods, I already have the Ford plenum cover on order, so if it arrives before the Vert, it will be the first to go on. After that window tinting is pretty much a requirement here in the Florida heat, so on it will go. Then I'll get into some performance mods. I am going to get the C&L Racer intake, the FRPP X-Pipe and FRPP axle backs from the GT-H, and then a Bama Chips tune with the XC-2. I might do underdrive pullies as well. I am also looking at adding a STB since this is a convertible, and maybe some sequential turn signals. Other than that, I am planning on keeping it pretty much stock.

Welcome, dude! Hope you enjoy your visits to the site. I think you've got a real nice car on the way. It's always cool to see what people are expecting. You're wise to get it loaded; it avoids the shoulda/coulda/woulda feelings after taking delivery.

However, I will probably order the GT appearance package. I'll tell you why. First off, the plenum cover and exhaust tips are well over $200 alone. Add the "fake" hood scoop, and you're looking at $400 of mods for just $213 (invoice).

I will probably get a beefier exhuast system down the road, but I don't want to wait for bigger tips. The stock exhaust tips disappear in the cutouts, and the ones supplied in the GT Appearance Package help them stand out. The aftermarket Ford tips I installed on my '05 GT had to be bolted on, whereas these appear to be welded in place. The tips I installed were held in place by a huge clamp that was visible from the rear.

I also want to get the cold air induction set up down the road, complete with a FUNCTIONAL hood scoop. This mod will cost quite a bit, and I don't want to wait. That scoop, although it's just for looks, will satisfy me until I'm ready to replace the hood with one that has a functional hood scoop. The stock hood needs something; it's like a square acre of sheet metal! Stripes help, but I'm opting for the cold air induction setup.

Last but not least, I like the plenum cover, and I don't have to modify it to accommodate it's installation. I've heard that the aftermarket pieces have to be trimmed to suit the underhood plumbing. If I get it this piece installed from the factory, I will avoid a few hassles.

As far as performance mod's... skip on the chip but everything else it good... but if you want some seriouse powers for damn cheap, get 4:10 gears, they pick up so much rear wheel horsepower, and you can't beat it for the price.

TOTALLY AGREE!!! I changed just gears in my 96 Cobra and

the performance/drivabilty exchange for MPG/top-end is nothing

Top-end is almost unnoticable till 130-140mph :rockon:

but you get there much quicker :shift: In CALIF. you may

have smog test issues :rant:

However, I will probably order the GT appearance package. I'll tell you why. First off, the plenum cover and exhaust tips are well over $200 alone. Add the "fake" hood scoop, and you're looking at $400 of mods for just $213 (invoice).

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys. I ordered the exhaust tips which were only $86 invoice, and I ordered the Ford engine cover from Ford parts for $58 including shipping, so for $144 I got everything that comes with the GT appearance package except the fake hood scoop, which I didn't want. So I saved $69 by not getting the GT package. If the scoop had been functional I would have ordered the package. Yes, I think the hood could use something--I wish Ford would offer an aluminum hood that looked like the orignial concept car's hood. I know that they make an aftermarket version of it in Fiberglass, but I prefer to stay with original parts whenever I can.

That's cool, man. Congrats. How'd you get those parts at invoice? I had to pay $95 for my exhaust tips at the dealer! Still not crazy about that big ass bolt and bracket that holds them on. And the plenum cover goes for $150 in the aftermarket. Is this the same item? How could it be if Ford sold it to you for a mere $58? Oh well, whatever the case it sounds like you got a great deal.

That's cool, man. Congrats. How'd you get those parts at invoice? I had to pay $95 for my exhaust tips at the dealer! Still not crazy about that big ass bolt and bracket that holds them on. And the plenum cover goes for $150 in the aftermarket. Is this the same item? How could it be if Ford sold it to you for a mere $58? Oh well, whatever the case it sounds like you got a great deal.

The dealer that I ordered my Vert from gave me everything at invoice, so that is how I got the tips for that. I ordered the plenum cover straight from Ford Parts, and yes, it is the same one that is on the stock 07's. Yes, some people got took and bought them for as high as $250 on ebay before they real price came out. Check out the huge thread on the engine cover on the TMS Forum, they are selling them for the mid $50 dollar range, plus shipping. Before I even ordered my Vert I joined several Mustang Forums to do research and it sure pays off.

Hey, thanks for the tip! Gotta admit, this Internet thingy really pays off. The advice, direction, and opportunity to save money, time and aggravation is worth every penny of subscription!

Yep, I would have never looked at a Mustang Vert until I saw the famous "Long Beach" GT/CS pic and had to have one! I'm glad I did get a Vert too! It's to dang hot right now but, will be very nice in September.

I am forutnate I can leave it home and take a Camry to work every day. It's even better when it's time to go for a ride :happy feet: :happy feet:

I teach p/t at a university to pay for my mods!

No boat - no golf - no hunting - But...let's ride, baby. :rockon:

I tell my students they can get an automatic A if they can beat me. :hysterical:

(but an F if they don't)

Chris - are you from Bean Town? What's up with the Big Dig tunnel deal?

P/T refers to Part-Time (I think). Of course, it could mean Physical Therapy too...

Nope, I grew up on Long Island, moved to Richmond Virginia 10 years ago, then to northern California last August. But my sister and my parents lived in Cambridge, Mass for several years. Now they're all back in New York. That's sad what happened at the Big Dig. Enormous project. Way over budget. But pretty cool if you consider the scope of the endeavor!

The "Celtic" in my handle refers only to my Irish heritage, the "Nut" part should be perfectly apparent!. :tease:

And I WOULD be a Celtics fan if I were in Boston for sure. Love the game. But we've got the Kings here in Sac town.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived