TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Extended warranty

Pony Ride

I got a price from the dealer of $1450 for 7 year 70,000 km no ded.(the car will not see near 70,000) It sounds fair to me. Any others going this route?

Nada Kevin. It'll take me Ten years to hit the 70,000km mark!

If I added up all of the Extended Warantees that I've purchased for cars, appliances, computers, snowmobiles, etc,,, I'd be able to buy another Shelby! Count me out on this one. Besides, if you plan on purchasing a Ford Racing Power Pack, bye bye warantee! :rant:

I have been wondering the samething? To get it or not to? And I think I am & this is why...

Here's my thinking on it. I have several vehicles that have high mileage, (2) of them I bought brand new (87 Mustang GT & 98 Ford Expedition) & I did not purchase the extended plans & they have been trouble free as long as I keep driving & servicing them.

Now a friend of mine that lives 1 mile away purchased (2) new Corvettes in 1978 (1 is the pace car) that one has 6 miles on it & the other about 500. I was talking to him about keeping my Shelby in the garage like him & he said Don't! I asked why & he said all the rubber hoses, vacuum lines, brake lines & belts on mine are cracking, leaking or rotting when you don't drive them. He said If I was going to let it sit for many years to buy the Extended Warantees so the hoses & belts, door seals & etc.. are covered for 7-10 years & then keep paying to have that Extended.

You just need to think about how your going to use it, store it & then go with that good old gut feeling on what to do. Good luck & happy motoring

I'm definitely out on this one. My current Stang had warranty for two months. I got it in August 01 and put the blower +++ in October 01

Not worth the money if you maintain your vehicles. Its like buying insurance on top of insurance.

That's a definate no for me too!!!

I never buy those things. They will almost match the profit on the car itself with selling

you the extended warranty.

I really believe they over built this car to be able to handle the maximum performance

of the engine. I don't expect to have any real problems to deal with, given the TLC I will

be giving my Eleanor.

KingCobra.

I have been wondering the samething? To get it or not to? And I think I am & this is why...

Now a friend of mine that lives 1 mile away purchased (2) new Corvettes in 1978 (1 is the pace car) that one has 6 miles on it & the other about 500. I was talking to him about keeping my Shelby in the garage like him & he said Don't! I asked why & he said all the rubber hoses, vacuum lines, brake lines & belts on mine are cracking, leaking or rotting when you don't drive them. He said If I was going to let it sit for many years to buy the Extended Warantees so the hoses & belts, door seals & etc.. are covered for 7-10 years & then keep paying to have that Extended.

This is a very good point - Motors & cars are not designed to be not running, everything needs to moving and running to stay in good shape.

If you plan on storing for long periods of time the extended warantee may not be a bad idea.

For those of you that don't know, there is profit on the ext. warranty's. I.e. $2000 warranty probably costs the finance dept. $1500-$1600 so you can negotiate and get a couple of hundred off. I know........I use to sell them. Same with rustproofing and scotchguard........

Here's my thinking on it. I have several vehicles that have high mileage, (2) of them I bought brand new (87 Mustang GT & 98 Ford Expedition) & I did not purchase the extended plans & they have been trouble free as long as I keep driving & servicing them.

You just need to think about how your going to use it, store it & then go with that good old gut feeling on what to do. Good luck & happy motoring

I don't think hoses and belts are covered by most extended warranties since they are normal maintenance items. Could be I'm wrong since I'm not that familiar with the extended warranty language (I only buy it on trucks/SUVs that I use to tow frequently...on my last Explorer, I blew through 2 transmissions in 100k miles. Both were covered by warranty. On my Expedition, I bought a third party warranty and that ended up being stupid--if you are getting an extended warranty, I'd only go with the manufacturer one). If you are buying it for coverage of belts/hoses/weatherstripping, make sure you read the fine print.

And don't store it...drive it! Otherwise you'll get no fun out of your depreciating "investment." :party:

I will add an extended factory/dealer warranty before I pickup my car. I have no intention in making any modifications and I plan on putting 5k miles min. per year. I'm going to spend this much, I may as well spend that little more and have less worries.

I will add an extended factory/dealer warranty before I pickup my car. I have no intention in making any modifications and I plan on putting 5k miles min. per year. I'm going to spend this much, I may as well spend that little more and have less worries.

Negotiate the price because you can.

Thanks for the advise SVTpower. I didn't know that those things were negotiable. Are you going to get the extended warranty also ?

:shrug: I should as I've seen many arguements in the service department due to repairs/warranty when I was in the bus. but I won't....................too much money so I'll chance it. Besides, I will probably only put on 3-6000 km per year and soon enough, do some MINOR mods.

If the cost is $1400 for 4 more years of worry free driving and even if I don`t put that many k`s on the car, I think for $350 a year its worth it. I don`t plan on doing any mods to the car that would effect the warranty. That could change latter.

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT HOSES AND BELTS ARE COVERED, WHEATHERSTRIPPING POSSIBLY . DON'T FORGET YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET EXTENDED WARRENTY FROM THE DAY YOU GET THE CAR YOU CAN PURCHASE IT FROM ANY FORD DEALER A COUPLE YEARS LATER IF YOU WANT THIS WAY YOU CAN FIGURE EXACTLY HOW YOU INTEND ON USING THE CAR. YOU WILL STILL HAVE THE 3/36 AND GET FACTORY EXTENDED WARRENTY BEFOR 3/36 RUNS OUT!!!!

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT HOSES AND BELTS ARE COVERED, WHEATHERSTRIPPING POSSIBLY . DON'T FORGET YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET EXTENDED WARRENTY FROM THE DAY YOU GET THE CAR YOU CAN PURCHASE IT FROM ANY FORD DEALER A COUPLE YEARS LATER IF YOU WANT THIS WAY YOU CAN FIGURE EXACTLY HOW YOU INTEND ON USING THE CAR. YOU WILL STILL HAVE THE 3/36 AND GET FACTORY EXTENDED WARRENTY BEFOR 3/36 RUNS OUT!!!!

True, but every year the price goes up $100-$200 per year for the same one chosen. That's the risk you take

• 3 weeks later...

Dave they offered the extra warranty to me for $1550. I asked for a discount because they always have room to move.the answer was no. I said I was not interested then. 5 minutes later he came back with a $200 cut. 7 years 60,000 km.

I was told by my Dealer Today, that there will be NO Extended Warranty offered for the 07 Shelby!!??

Can anyone Confirm this??

07 ` -- I talk to the regional s.v.t manager who was at our car show two weeks ago &i`am sure he said that the new extended warranity covered ALL 2007 . I will confirm that Monday . How`s that car running , have you given everyone a ride in yet?

I was told by my Dealer Today, that there will be NO Extended Warranty offered for the 07 Shelby!!??

Can anyone Confirm this??

07 ` -- I talk to the regional s.v.t manager who was at our car show two weeks ago &i`am sure he said that the new extended warranity covered ALL 2007 . I will confirm that Monday . How`s that car running , have you given everyone a ride in yet?

Dave they offered the extra warranty to me for $1550. I asked for a discount because they always have room to move.the answer was no. I said I was not interested then. 5 minutes later he came back with a $200 cut. 7 years 60,000 km.

:roses: Like I said, there is some $$ room with warranties..............good for you !!!! $200 better than nothing

:roses: Like I said, there is some $$ room with warranties..............good for you !!!! $200 better than nothing

According to Ford Performance/SVT, the Shelby IS covered.

:happy feet:

:shift:

bj

You Guys are right. I'm really confused now. My friend Rob, #3 at Erinwood, was finally told to come in and Order Yesterday. He was quoted a price of $1000 for the 7 year Extended Warantee. On Friday, when I picked up my Shelby I was once again told by the 'Financial Guy' that there was ne Extended Warantee offered. Who's in Charge Here!!??

That's it, I'm off for one day so I'm headed out for a Ride!

:sos:

Also, remember, if you buy a 100,000 km warranty for example, you are not adding to the base coverage, it's merely an extension. i.e. if basic is 60,000 and you buy the 100,000, you are adding only 40,000 km. Same with the year, if you buy a 6 year, and basic is 3 year, you are adding only 3 add'tl years.......................either or whichever comes first.

Archived