TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Made Up My Mind

RUFDRAFT

Thanks, man. I used to drive big trucks in the City! (Hunt's Point Market!)

(for a long time) I know about the BQE - Van Wyck - Cross Bronx, etc!

I wouldn't even think about putting 19's on up there.

I had 19's on my 350 Z down here and didn't have any trouble - but I did worry every time I had to cross train tracks, etc!

"Not for nuthin'," here's a pic, gabeesh? :happy feet:

Ruf, remove the sunglasses and back away from the bong. Oh wait...that's not a bong...that's a rice burner. Nevermind. :hysterical:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha - ha - ha! No - I don't get that!

I 'preciate the info - but you've lost me.

Here are the rims I'm now ready to buy:

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId...&Prod2P=259

And - they'll be 19x8.5 f and 19x9.5 rears.

Tires would be 255x40's f and 275x35's r.

This - according to the Tire Guru at Wheel Max.

At this point - they're going ON! :shift:

Those are really nice!!! -- and vaguely reminiscent of the optional wheels on the FordGT.

The Tire Guru recommendations should work -- fronts will be almost same height but rears will be a bit taller (per my other note) but should fit ok. If you call Tire Rack they'll usually give you some guidance over the phone if you want a second opinion.

Once you get these lower profile tires with their faster steering response, it would make a huge difference to go to larger swaybars, HDPE bushings and down-lock adjustable Konis (or Bilsteins if hunkered-down-at-speed isn't your thing). The resulting combo of all three is much grater than the sum of the parts in terms of overall handling and responsiveness! I think you're gonna enjoy your ride a bunch, Bryan! And don't forget to air-down the rears about 8 lbs -- you've got so much cross section on those tires that at regular pressure you'll have too tina a contact patch on the light-weight rear of the 'stang.

Some constant-radius 'drifting' should help you find the right rear pressure to get it really neutral. It will be sweet when you're done. Don't air-down the fronts (stay near the factory recommended pressure or a bit above); airing down the fronts will make you prone to rim damage and pothole sidewall damage. Get the front pressure right for the resoponse/contact-patch you need and then 'tune' the rears (less presure for sure) to the fronts using the drift-balance approach... it works great!!! Then test the combo with some rapid left-right and right-left transitions... repeat as necessary :) Of course, you do this all again after any sways/bushing/shock changes.. .

RUFDRAFT,

The wheels look great! If I end up with my Shelby, and if I ever have enough $ to do so (a big IF), I'm going to change the wheels. Forgive me if I've missed the answer to this question in previous posts, but do you have your new GT in the driveway? Sounds like you're having fun figuring out what you want to do with it. By the way the Roush SC does come with a warranty (3 year, 36K). I've learned a lot reading these posts about the Whipple, and other SCs.

CC

:hysterical:

Thanks, 68.

Hey Bryan in the shades! Those wheels on your Z look great too! Similar to the ones your considering for the GT... look great! I bet the Z is nicely balanced... it sure has sweet look too! Too bad you can't keep both toys ;-) Bet your daughter would like that!

Thanks - I spent time picking them out.

Balanced? You bet. I put on Eibach springs - Hawk brakes - 3.91 gears and a Nismo CAI. I've never driven a better balanced car. The handling is amazing. But...I miss a V8. This engine is strong - and seamless - but it's not a muscle car. And - I'm getting a little too old to climb down in it and get out of it! :hysterical:

Nice of you to remember my daughter.

I think when I pull up at her high school with the black GT and the "boys" hear the blower whine, her stock will go up! :hysterical:

My dad was more like Uncle Buck!

When I drove Large Cars - I picked up one of my daughters at school with the tractor (a real sweet Peterbuilt - black and chrome). They were all out front waiting for rides. I pulled up and yanked the air horn to get her attention. EVERYBODY turned and looked. When she got in, she told me to NEVER pick her up again in the truck! :happy feet:

Thanks - I spent time picking them out.

Balanced? You bet. I put on Eibach springs - Hawk brakes - 3.91 gears and a Nismo CAI. I've never driven a better balanced car. The handling is amazing. But...I miss a V8. This engine is strong - and seamless - but it's not a muscle car. And - I'm getting a little too old to climb down in it and get out of it! :hysterical:

Nice of you to remember my daughter.

I think when I pull up at her high school with the black GT and the "boys" hear the blower whine, her stock will go up! :hysterical:

My dad was more like Uncle Buck!

When I drove Large Cars - I picked up one of my daughters at school with the tractor (a real sweet Peterbuilt - black and chrome). They were all out front waiting for rides. I pulled up and yanked the air horn to get her attention. EVERYBODY turned and looked. When she got in, she told me to NEVER pick her up again in the truck! :happy feet:

Ah, so you're an old hand at this stuff :) Very cool! I remembered the pic from a prior post. The older I get the more I really like white/pearl cars -- don't know why. But a black GT will be really classy for sure! I was hoping you didn't take my posts on tires/balance the wrong way (I know you didn't); I figured others might also have interest... you never know in a forum how some things will be read. I get so wrapped up in making sure I express the concept sometimes I forget we're all enthusiasts here. When I saw your post with your pic and it was edited down to just the pic, I thought maybe you wrote a long post and then 'abondoned' it. I know my posts can get long (now there's an understatement) ...heck, I'm doing it right now!

You know, I was thinking... on my next car, I might get one of those big-rig air horns... the ones that also play a few tunes and include an aaa-ooooooo-gaaah! Always wanted to build an all-wheel-drive '32 Ford roadster... with the front wheels set out in front of the radiator for good wright balance -- you know, 2300 lbs with the '01 aluminum Cobra with hi-flow injectors and FordGT heads... only about 425 HP, but in a 2300lb AWD '32 it would smoke most anything from a factory... and with 6 spd and Halibrand dual-range rear, it's get about 35mpg on the highway 75 mph (at 1,200 rpm). About the best multi-fun car I think of :):shift::)

Hey, meant to ask ya: in your last post, what's the Nismo CAI... a cold air intake (or computer assisted instruction??? well, you are a prof!) or ??? ALso, I was at Sears the other day looking at a tractor battery and two kids were talking about slamming their rides with Eibach's, and the counter guy said Sears stocks a few popular Eibach spring sets but the will order any Eiback product in the catalog and sell it at at Sears discount price. He said their prices are much cheaper than ordering direct from Eibach -- just thought I'd mention it. See there I go again. :)

Do you have an approx date on the GT yet? Even dead stock, they are a nice ride - yours will be so very cool, my friend!

<edit:> PS - my Day used to sell 'boxcars' of Italian/specialty products to the wholesalers at Hunts point market (in the 60s and 70s)... it's a small world.

68 - I don't know where you are - but I hope you're close enough for a visit! :bandance:

Like me, you like to use the language!

Your Deuce Coupe sounds hot. Let's build it!

Yes - the Nismo CAI is cold air intake - only good for about 5 hp they say. But - it sounds good above 5,000 rpms.

I never thought about Sears for the Eibachs! I'm going with Ford Racing springs on this GT.

I might have a GT this week. I wanted to order an '07, but I've found a new '06 in Richmond that would work for me. All I'd have to do is remove the spoiler. And I might save a grand or two in the process.

If they can do a dealer swap for me - I might have it later in the week.

I'm pumped. :happy feet:

We're lucky to have you here, my friend. :shift: Stay tuned, you hear?

68 - I don't know where you are - but I hope you're close enough for a visit! :bandance:

Like me, you like to use the language!

Your Deuce Coupe sounds hot. Let's build it!

Yes - the Nismo CAI is cold air intake - only good for about 5 hp they say. But - it sounds good above 5,000 rpms.

I never thought about Sears for the Eibachs! I'm going with Ford Racing springs on this GT.

I might have a GT this week. I wanted to order an '07, but I've found a new '06 in Richmond that would work for me. All I'd have to do is remove the spoiler. And I might save a grand or two in the process.

If they can do a dealer swap for me - I might have it later in the week.

I'm pumped. :happy feet:

We're lucky to have you here, my friend. :shift: Stay tuned, you hear?

Bryan, this week?! Wow! how cool is that? ...it's like instant gratification!

For sure -- we're in upstate NY (catskill mountains near Woodstock).. I have some friends in Raleigh, but rarely get down that way (they always come up here)... would love to meet ya and see your ride... you are welcome here when/if ever you're up this way (haven't been out to Watkins Glenn in a looooong time either) :)

I was looking in R&T tire ads and noticed that the style you picked must be gathering a following because at least three different makers have recently intro'd similar ones... I really like that 'Y-spoke' look.

ok, new topic... nutty idea of the day... How about this for a concept car idea. From the outside it looks like an '09/'10 mustang GT. Underneath, just behind my recaro drivers seat, visible through the that sweet fastback glass is the Ford GT 5.4 twin-screw with transaxle. Even with amenities, 3500lbs, realistically 44/56WD, 0-60 in 3.6 or so -- a poor man's Ford GT... the 'Stang GT-P! :shift: ok, dreamin' 's cheap! :)

Hang in there, my friend..

Hey Rufdraft,

New member here but just wanted to post a few comments regarding your decision. Here's my 2 cents:

If you really want the GT500, hold out and you will be able to get one next year. If it's a money issue and other responsibilities are taking priority, I completely understand. Some times modding a car to your exact tastes and desires is more rewarding than buying a production version that every one else will have. So the GT won't have 500hp or Shelby's name on it, who cares??? You can't use all that power on the street any way with out getting locked up so what's the point??? If you like the styling of the GT500, then consider the GT/CS. It has a front end similar to the GT500 and the exact rear from the car as well. Check out the pics:

20_3.JPG

4c_3.JPG

13_3.JPG

You can get it without the hood scoop, doesn't look that good IMO. I'd go for the california dreaming hood, a center fog lamp kit, and Raceline GT wheels. (Can you tell I thought about doing this too :hysterical: )

Here's a pic of the hood I'm talking about: California Dream Hood and the Raceline GT wheel with a grey finish. Raceline GT Wheel

As far as putting a blower on the car, I wouldn't do it. The base GT Mustangs use cast pistons and can't handle much boost. With just basic bolt ons you can get them to make 350 + hp at the flywheel which is more than enough power for the street. Add a set of 4.10 gears and your in the 12's.

Gee my 2 cents took a lot of space to write. :P

Hey, 68 - the '06 deal didn't work - but I did order an '07 today at $300 over invoice.

Spoiler delete - leather - the charcoal woven dash deal - 3.55's (and we'll see about 4.10s) - standard rims (gonna get the mesh 19's anyway) - interior upgrade. It'll take 6 weeks - but I'd rather wait and get what I want.

I'll have 255x40x19's on the front and 275x35x19's on the rear.

And - silver stripes up and over the top!

90GT - Welcome, man!

Good pics and ideas.

I know black is a bitch to keep clean - but with 20 coats of Zaino, I'll be fine! :happy feet:

I'm not keen on hood scoops that aren't functional. I like simple styling cues.

Hang out with us and have some fun. This site rocks - we have some very cool members. :rockon:

68: an afterthought - we (truckers) used to call the Catskills the Jewish Alps!! Route 17 is a beautiful road - but I never saw more deer (running in herds) than I did on that road. I think there was a horse track off that road...Monticello? Trotters? Too long ago!

Hey, 68 - the '06 deal didn't work - but I did order an '07 today at $300 over invoice.

Spoiler delete - leather - the charcoal woven dash deal - 3.55's (and we'll see about 4.10s) - standard rims (gonna get the mesh 19's anyway) - interior upgrade. It'll take 6 weeks - but I'd rather wait and get what I want.

90GT - Welcome, man!

Good pics and ideas.

I know black is a bitch to keep clean - but with 20 coats of Zaino, I'll be fine! :happy feet:

Hang out with us and have some fun. This site rocks - we have some very cool members. :rockon:

I hear ya on the black paint. I've had three black cars and all were a pita to keep clean. But man right after you wax em, they are stunning!!!

90GT - Welcome, man!

Good pics and ideas.

Good idea to go with the '07, Bryan. Also black??

GT is a 5-spd Tremec, yes? The 3.55s would make more sense (to me).

Happy for ya!!! :party:

Guest evilchris

Good idea to go with the '07, Bryan. Also black??

GT is a 5-spd Tremec, yes? The 3.55s would make more sense (to me).

Happy for ya!!! :party:

3.55 is too high a gear for a 5.0 with 16's. It is WAY too high a gear for an s197 with NINETEENS. 4.10 AT LEAST.

As far as putting a blower on the car, I wouldn't do it. The base GT Mustangs use cast pistons and can't handle much boost. With just basic bolt ons you can get them to make 350 + hp at the flywheel which is more than enough power for the street. Add a set of 4.10 gears and your in the 12's.

Gee my 2 cents took a lot of space to write. :P

Blower is fine. If you throw a rod, pull the engine out and build the block. No point in being "scared" to modify your car.

3.55 is too high a gear for a 5.0 with 16's. It is WAY too high a gear for an s197 with NINETEENS. 4.10 AT LEAST.

Blower is fine. If you throw a rod, pull the engine out and build the block. No point in being "scared" to modify your car.

Sure you can pull the motor out and build it up. Not every one wants to blow an engine in a brand new car nor has the spare cash laying around for a rebuild.

Always wanted to build an all-wheel-drive '32 Ford roadster... with the front wheels set out in front of the radiator for good wright balance -- you know, 2300 lbs with the '01 aluminum Cobra with hi-flow injectors and FordGT heads... only about 425 HP, but in a 2300lb AWD '32 it would smoke most anything from a factory... and with 6 spd and Halibrand dual-range rear, it's get about 35mpg on the highway 75 mph (at 1,200 rpm). .

ok, new topic... nutty idea of the day... How about this for a concept car idea. From the outside it looks like an '09/'10 mustang GT. Underneath, just behind my recaro drivers seat, visible through the that sweet fastback glass is the Ford GT 5.4 twin-screw with transaxle. Even with amenities, 3500lbs, realistically 44/56WD, 0-60 in 3.6 or so -- a poor man's Ford GT... the 'Stang GT-P! :shift: ok, dreamin' 's cheap! :)

Jeez your like my evil twin brother. For years I've been kicking around what I think would make for a killer sleeper. Take a 64/65 stang coupe, the original Taurus SHO yamaha V6, late 80's Aerostar AWD, and bolt it under that coupe body with widened steel wheels. I even did a good bit of research and called FRPP about some things. They said they would love to help with part numbers etc. I love the idea of having an ultra driveline under what looks like the poor cousin of a V8 fastback :wacko:I forgot to mention that I have the engine and electronics already

Guest evilchris

The pics are from an add on ebay. The car's actually for sale on there. Here's the link:

07 GT/CS Ebay Listing

I would have bought a C/S if you could get it in straight dark charcoal interior and not the horrible two tones.

I would have bought a C/S if you could get it in straight dark charcoal interior and not the horrible two tones.

Doesn't look too bad although I'd want to see it in person. An all black car with an all black interior would be one hot sob in the summer time!!!

Thanks, man. I used to drive big trucks in the City! (Hunt's Point Market!)

(for a long time) I know about the BQE - Van Wyck - Cross Bronx, etc!

I wouldn't even think about putting 19's on up there.

I had 19's on my 350 Z down here and didn't have any trouble - but I did worry every time I had to cross train tracks, etc!

"Not for nuthin'," here's a pic, gabeesh? :happy feet:

Just caught the pic of your z and I have to say NICE FRICKEN CAR! Can't wait to see what you do with the Mustang! That's if you post pics. please post pics :baby:

Guest evilchris

Doesn't look too bad although I'd want to see it in person. An all black car with an all black interior would be one hot sob in the summer time!!!

I think I'm used to it I guess. 14 years of a black/black 5.0.

I think I'm used to it I guess. 14 years of a black/black 5.0.

Hey, I have a friend named Chris and he used to have a black 5.0. I can't remember what year but he said it was supercharged and he loved it.

• 1 year later...
Shhhh....
Hi there they are a few used gt 500 out there some people bought them and now have large payments and trying to get rid of them. Also my dealer said for prieum gt all bells and he came to 28500.Just make a smart move take your time,remember good things comes to thoughts whom wait!!!. Live is short enjoy every day to it fulliest. I will still repect you in any decening you make which will be the right one. THANKS HAVE GOOD EVENING

Sooo Rufdraft... I actually read this tread (ok most of it) because I went there with a 07 CS coupe.

So most don't know it but the CS has the GT500 rearend and the same front end as the shelby GT(not the 500)

So I bought a new one no hood scoop, got a trunk without the spoiler and started to spend the money. I bought the whipple intercooled SC, a set of GT 500 wheels and tires, hurst shifter, took off the CS stripes and put on a nice set of factory looking stripes just like a 500 only I called it a GT350 just for fun. I really liked this car, it had power heated seats both sides 3:55 gears and went pretty good stock. The only thing I didn't care too much on the CS was for the phony side scoops (which the Shelby GT also has). I was thinking that with the blower this car could run harder than a GT500 until one of my buds said, "jeah, just as long as the GT500 is stock". After visiting this website I was disabused of the notion of 'stock untuned' GT500's.

So I was just getting ready to install the blower when a new black GT500 just keep hanging around the dealership for too long. It was just the colors I wanted and equipped real close and for some reason I don't know why they sold me the car for 5 over.

So I sold the CS and the blower, bought the 500 and have a whipple 3.4 in a box to put on this winter. The top rung power wise for the GT/CS was just the beginning power level of the GT500.

For me I was going to be happy with my CS except for that darn dealer that sold me a car at a reasonable price. Initial CS and mods added up to 39k. The GT500 at 10k more was just too good to pass up. Glad I did it.

Enjoy your new GT coupe!

Archived