TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Made Up My Mind

RUFDRAFT

I can't make a Shelby deal happen - comfortably.

But - I'm buying a Mustang.

I've ordered a black GT coupe - 5 spd man - interior upgrade - premium - 3.55 gears (an option for '07 - they're going to 3.31's standard) - and 18" polished rims.

Whipple will have their blower ready July 1st. About $6k for the polished intercooled version. They claim 476 RWHP - with the stock engine. I'll add some lowering springs - ceramic brake pads - and possibly a gear change based on how it performs with the 3.55's.

And I can do all of this for about $8-10k less than a Shelby.

I talked to my local Ford Store's service tech who loves Mustangs. He's eager to get started. :shift:

Good luck with your Shelby deals, you hear?

I'll hang around here just to stir the pot now and then. :happy feet:

Just be careful if you see an all black GT creeping up on you at a light. You never know what's under the hood. :hysterical:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've ordered a black GT coupe - 5 spd man - interior upgrade - premium - 3.55 gears (an option for '07 - they're going to 3.31's standard) - and 18" polished rims.

Whipple will have their blower ready July 1st. About $6k for the polished intercooled version. They claim 476 RWHP - with the stock engine. I'll add some lowering springs - ceramic brake pads - and possibly a gear change based on how it performs with the 3.55's.

I talked to my local Ford Store's service tech who loves Mustangs. He's eager to get started. :shift:

Rufdraft,

Just be careful if you see an all black GT creeping up on you at a light. You never know what's under the hood. :hysterical:

Rufdraft,

Congratulations! I think you'll be happy with your choice. I gave a lot of thought to taking the same approach, for the same reason. I looked into a new GT with a Rousch supercharger (I liked the warranty, for one thing), a set of wheels, and a Saleen front end (not that expensive). I determined I could get 430HP and something quite cool looking for about 37-39K altogether. Hell, I might still endup taking that route--we'll see.

CC

Ruf draft, I feel your pain Buddy! Got $17,000.00 for my 87 Regal T and thought that was half the Shelby money (almost any way) and told my wife IF I can even get a shot at one it would have to be MSRP and most likely in a year or so after all the Hype dies down. So she paid some bills and debits and now I don't have much saved up and am really having a hard time justifing a car that would be as much as my house payment. I can purchase a wholesale 05 GT or GTO (ugly car but fast) and build it for alot less. I really think a fair price is 37K for the Shelby and more people would have had the opportunity to own one. I am disappointed they only put 300 hp in the GT and pissed that they made such a impressive car that only a few can even get access to, much less afford it.

Well, congrats and good luck! The Whipple is a great blower. You will whup many a Shelby if you get that setup! Not mine though 'cause I'm uppin' the boost if I ever get one! :cheerleader: I dun' need no stinkin' warranty.

I'm thinking of going the same route as you but I'm holding out till at least next Jan or Feb. I have my supercharged toy to keep me happy till then - though it weighs 6000 pounds! :sos:

Coldwater - I know that the hp wars are on once again - trouble is - the more hp they make the more they cost! I don't really think I need 600 hp! Hell - I'll have my aging hands full with 500+!

Regal - yep - I agree. If I had deeper pockets like a lot of folks do these days, I'd buy the Shelby.

But - to have a car close - if not better - in performance for thousands less, I have to go that route.

I was talking to a guy at Whipple today and he says they're working with Ford on the next Mustang (he said Boss or Mach)

I just need to take the least expensive route I can. :shift:

edit: I haven't gotten the MSRP yet. Should have that tomorrow.

The '07 GT Vert they have on the ground was about $32k. Shaker 1000 was $1700.

Made the same decision some time ago. I don't need a car with a monthly payment as much as a house payment. In reality, it can only be a weekend car - 15mpg at who knows what price gas next year, or even next week.

There will be more guys like RUFDRAFT and me when they sit down with the finance guy, insurance agent, wife, etc. Those $10K-over deals soon will be only a dealer dream. Good for those who really want a Shelby.

Ruf

Is it just horsepower or 07 model Mustang you are after ? or both?

Or would you be happy with a Terminator with 450+ HP at the wheels?

Ruf Draft, 450 at the rear wheels is very respectable and they were good cars. Might be worth looking into.

Sorry to hear about your change of cars...the thing is,although a 07 gt is a great car,in reality,it will just be another mod'ed mustang, nothing valuable, or special. If I were you i'd buy an older mustang,that has already depreciated, and mod it. I'm in the used car business,and have been for over 30 yrs,and modifying a late model car,kills it's value. besides,10k financed over 60 months won't be all that much more than the 07 payment...

Years ago,during the first muscle car wave,we used to see guys buying 327 camaros and 289 mustangs,and spend all sorts of money trying to make them run with Z-28's and 390 GT's..most of them regreted not buying the real Mc coy to start with....good luck....

ruf, since you are asking...

03 Cobra "Terminator"

1 of 477 built in Torch Red for 03 model year

Steeda pully & idler assy.

Dr Gas X-pipe & high flow cat back system

SpinTech exhaust

Steeda Cold Air kit

Accufab Throttle body

Spec Stage 3+ clutch

454 rwhp on Mustang dyno

18" Cobra R wheels

BF Goodrich Radial TA/KD

Miles: 39000

very clean

pm me if interested

priced way less than 07 with all the goodies you have mentioned

Sorry to hear about your change of cars...the thing is,although a 07 gt is a great car,in reality,it will just be another mod'ed mustang, nothing valuable, or special. If I were you i'd buy an older mustang,that has already depreciated, and mod it. I'm in the used car business,and have been for over 30 yrs,and modifying a late model car,kills it's value. besides,10k financed over 60 months won't be all that much more than the 07 payment...

Years ago,during the first muscle car wave,we used to see guys buying 327 camaros and 289 mustangs,and spend all sorts of money trying to make them run with Z-28's and 390 GT's..most of them regreted not buying the real Mc coy to start with....good luck....

Good point! My thoughts also.... A regular stang without any mods will depreciate faster than your can make the payments, and faster if you mod the stang with aftermarket parts.

If the GT500 is out of the question, then I would recommend shopping around for a late model that has been moded or a good used unmolested stang that you can add mods and be in the car for a whole lot less $$$. :shift::shift::shift:

:hysterical:

You guys are killin me over here! :bandance:

I feel like my wife when she's trying to decide on what color to paint the flippin' bathrooms! :hysterical:

Whew.

I thought I had it all nailed down...

Shaking head now. :shift:

Here's another option: Wait a year...if you think Ford will announce a "better" Mustang for 2009, that means the GT500 ADM will disappear quickly. (Even if Ford doesn't announce a better Mustang, I'm of the opinion that ADM is going away...obviously a subject of endless debate.)

Either way, if you believe ADM is going away and you wait a year, that means used 2007 GT500s will be going for mid-to-high 30s in 12-18 months. Probably about the same as what you'd drop on a modded '07 GT. And the mods you do to a GT will likely decrease value...the value of a 1 year old GT500 is what it is when you buy it.

Just a thought.

Heck, I was under the impression Rufdraft had already ordered. Shoot, go with Plan A - get your own new one and make her go as fast as your imagination (and pocketbook!) will allow. Mods may decrease value in some eyes but not in most - if they are done properly. Once it's through the warranty, so what? Probably easily run low 12's high 11's in a modded GT. That Terminator sounds pretty good, too.

Here's another option: Wait a year...if you think Ford will announce a "better" Mustang for 2009, that means the GT500 ADM will disappear quickly. (Even if Ford doesn't announce a better Mustang, I'm of the opinion that ADM is going away...obviously a subject of endless debate.)

Either way, if you believe ADM is going away and you wait a year, that means used 2007 GT500s will be going for mid-to-high 30s in 12-18 months. Probably about the same as what you'd drop on a modded '07 GT. And the mods you do to a GT will likely decrease value...the value of a 1 year old GT500 is what it is when you buy it.

Just a thought.

I believe you will regret not getting the Shelby. With mods, you'll be closer in $$ than you think, still have the 4.6, no T56, no twin disc clutch, no reinforced diff, and still just a modded GT(now you killed the value). Yours will depreciate much quicker too. Also remember, the 4.6 is safe to about 450 hp +/- so you'll always been on the edge when beating on her. Your choice but if you're shaking your head, you are obviously undecided and unsure. Think hard............

My decision was a no brainer. The wife said not now. doesn't mean not ever but right now we need to wait. Problem is I am driving a 4 cylinder Camry (great on gas) But it is killing me. no power. You have a opportunity to get a Shelby at MSRP, not many can say that. Alot of money but is it really that much more than your modded 07 ? especially over x amount of years you will be owning this car? My Regal T before the one I just sold cost me $5500.00 9 years ago and I spent an additional $4000.00 on mods and maintenance over 8 years and then sold it last year for $7000.00 I loved the car, had 137,000 miles on it, the wife hated it and called it a money pit piece of shit. At the time seemed like alot of money, but really wasn't considering the lenght of time I owned it. Point is your the one who will be driving the car for a long time and many of us have worked hard and should be abel to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Get the one you really want , but only as long as priorities such as family and finances are considered first. I will eventually get somthing else nice and fast, but only if WE can live with the cost.

:hysterical:

You guys are killin me over here! :bandance:

I feel like my wife when she's trying to decide on what color to paint the flippin' bathrooms! :hysterical:

Whew.

I thought I had it all nailed down...

Shaking head now. :shift:

Just think what woulda happened if you'd announced you were going to buy a Dodge! :fan:

Hey Bryan, that's great! Very happy for ya.

Funny thing, 40 years ago i was hungering for a GT500/KR but went instead with the GT -- actually a base fastback opted with the 390/335hp engine, etc.. like the GT (you could do that stuff back then). I came sooo close to opting for the 427 ($1600 over the 390, included a whole bunch of mods) but decided not. If I had it would be worth a small fortune today (I,ve heard they only made 6 or 7 and none survive today), that is if I would have survived ownig it!!! :)

Anyhow, I think you've made a really good choice... the GT is fairly light and with the whipple -- whew! Will be one fast sleeper! Just realize that you're pushing the upper limit of the bottom end of the GT motor, about 450HP, but should be fine unless you're planning using drag-slicks ...you might want to also consider ugrading to larger front rotors/cals if you plan on any serious high-speed road course fun -- the GT brakes are good but you'll need some FRPP or Behr parts if you want serious braking.

On balance you've made a choice near and dear to my heart! Best of luck and can't wait to see some pix too!

Thanks, 68 - not sure which blower to go with yet.

Whipple also make a non-intercooled version with 5 lbs of boost and 405 rwhp. Sounds like that might be a safer route to take. With 4:10's - that should be a stout ride. And $1500 cheaper.

I'm going to go and look at Kenny Bell's products.

Sometimes I feel like I've gone back in time to the 1960's - with all these high hp cars available.

Back then, though, I didn't have the bread for them - I got married far too young.

Now - it's time to Rock & Roll, Daddy! :shift:

Heck, I was under the impression Rufdraft had already ordered. Shoot, go with Plan A - get your own new one and make her go as fast as your imagination (and pocketbook!) will allow. Mods may decrease value in some eyes but not in most - if they are done properly. Once it's through the warranty, so what? Probably easily run low 12's high 11's in a modded GT. That Terminator sounds pretty good, too.

Me too!!! $1000 deposit for a Red with Performance White stripes.

Brian, I know someone whom will be glad to take your Shelby GT500 at Pecheles. They are from Washington and are trying to get on the list at Hastings. I told then today it was a slim chance because Hastings is guaranteed 2 and hoping for a 3rd. With the production numbers going up, Hastings may get as many as five or six. The bad news, there are 12 qualified buyers on Hastings list of 20.

JB

My decision was a no brainer. The wife said not now. doesn't mean not ever but right now we need to wait. Problem is I am driving a 4 cylinder Camry (great on gas) But it is killing me. no power. You have a opportunity to get a Shelby at MSRP, not many can say that. Alot of money but is it really that much more than your modded 07 ? especially over x amount of years you will be owning this car? My Regal T before the one I just sold cost me $5500.00 9 years ago and I spent an additional $4000.00 on mods and maintenance over 8 years and then sold it last year for $7000.00 I loved the car, had 137,000 miles on it, the wife hated it and called it a money pit piece of shit. At the time seemed like alot of money, but really wasn't considering the lenght of time I owned it. Point is your the one who will be driving the car for a long time and many of us have worked hard and should be abel to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Get the one you really want , but only as long as priorities such as family and finances are considered first. I will eventually get somthing else nice and fast, but only if WE can live with the cost.

regal87t.....watch the first part of this video clip of the late great sam kinison..pay close attention to the first half.kinison's views on marriage

Say it ain't so...wow you go away for a bit come back and the world is upside down....Say it ain't so RUF and you've been teasing us....Some great ideas about waiting till next year...and the 2009's.

I almost went the same way.....It just didn't seem worth the agrevation of dealing with all the uncertainty, costs etc. Then my wife caught wind of my dilemma and set me straight...get your dream car and have fun!

Don deal baby...we'll figure out the rest!

Now if I could just settle on a color.....hmmmBlue, black.. PSDS!

Cheers,

Requis

Just another thought (and I know you already know this by the topic of this thread):

I don't think you should get the Shelby (or any car) if it puts pressure on you financially. It takes all the fun out of it ... and can lead to family stress...etc. There are so many better places to put money (instead of a car): retirement, house, family time, kid's education. Places that pay real dividends.

It's easy to get sucked into the "...it's only an extra $x/month..."

But you know where you're comfortable and I always think it's a shame when people really stretch for something like this. It's a car. There will be others.

Rufdraft - Life's too short to worry about these matters. Do what's right for you and your family and take comfort with your decision - that's staying above THE LINE. You could never truly enjoy a car if you felt the sacrifices for it were too great. No car is worth it, and everytime you got behind the wheel those uncomfortable thoughts would be foremost in your mind. However, those same thoughts could be in your mind you feel you settled for something less. IMHO Good luck and stay in touch with this forum. Later

Archived