TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Made Up My Mind

RUFDRAFT

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, 68 - not sure which blower to go with yet.

Whipple also make a non-intercooled version with 5 lbs of boost and 405 rwhp. Sounds like that might be a safer route to take. With 4:10's - that should be a stout ride. And $1500 cheaper.

I'm going to go and look at Kenny Bell's products.

Sometimes I feel like I've gone back in time to the 1960's - with all these high hp cars available.

Back then, though, I didn't have the bread for them - I got married far too young.

Now - it's time to Rock & Roll, Daddy! :shift:

Yeah, Bryan, the low-boost blowers might be a better approach... that's what I think Saleen & Roush use on their modded GTs and would make a lot of sense unless you planned to go to low-compression pistons -- no reason to do that with the low boost blowers -- they're perfect for the stock GT.

Are you going to run it at the strip a lot? 4.10s are pretty steep -- these s/c motors make such nice torque, you really don't need gears that big unless with BIG drag slicks ;-) They just don't need a lot of revs to build power like a n.a. motor with high-lift/high-durations cam(s), so the 4.10 won't buy you much except much poorer milage. Also, why take that hit since you'll be enjoying this puppy mostly on road trips and less at the drags, yes?

Anyhow, just some thoughts -- I 'm sure you'll have a ball with it what ever you decide on... what's not to enjoy! Even the stocker is a kick! ;-)

Here's another option: Wait a year...if you think Ford will announce a "better" Mustang for 2009, that means the GT500 ADM will disappear quickly. (Even if Ford doesn't announce a better Mustang, I'm of the opinion that ADM is going away...obviously a subject of endless debate.)

Either way, if you believe ADM is going away and you wait a year, that means used 2007 GT500s will be going for mid-to-high 30s in 12-18 months. Probably about the same as what you'd drop on a modded '07 GT. And the mods you do to a GT will likely decrease value...the value of a 1 year old GT500 is what it is when you buy it.

Just a thought.

HOW could it go for mid to high 30's when invoice is over 40K?

My thoughts are still the same. It may come down some, but don't think so, most will be spoken for by end of year.

Here's a joke. guy goes to butcher shop and sees T-bones for $8.00 a pound. WOW he says, that's too high. the guy down the street has his on sale for 99 cents,but he is out. The Butcher replys, I sell my for 99 cents when I'm out too. get my drift. lol

Bud

HOW could it go for mid to high 30's when invoice is over 40K?

My thoughts are still the same. It may come down some, but don't think so, most will be spoken for by end of year.

Here's a joke. guy goes to butcher shop and sees T-bones for $8.00 a pound. WOW he says, that's too high. the guy down the street has his on sale for 99 cents,but he is out. The Butcher replys, I sell my for 99 cents when I'm out too. get my drift. lol

Bud

He was talking about used vehicles. Besides, I see vehicles that seem to sell below invoice. Is the invoice BS? Or maybe incentives.

Never can tell what the future holds. Another big run-up in oil prices and the car sales landscape could change rapidly - even Shelby Mustang sales. ;)

...and let's not forget that even the original CS Cobras (289s and 427s)of the '60s could be had (beautiful examples from enthusiast owners) 4-6 years old for 35-40% under MSRP! After 10 years they were back up near MSRP and, after that, well, fugetaboutit :)

Not saying the GT500 will follow that pattern -- I don't think anyone knows or even can know. My point is just don't be suprised at what market forces can, and will, do.... with all the goodies coming from Ford, Shelby and the competition, there's no telling what will happen...

I'm guessing that 68fastback is correct. Particularly when the new version of the mustang comes out. Also the camaro will be coming along about then. So you will have many shelby owners moving on to the newest toys, and then you will have those that got in over their head financially. so who knows, you may decide at some point you can revisit the issue and get one. ......or just get one of those newer toys, undoubtably with more power etc. :bandance:

Am I missing something here. Are you all saying that you'd consider paying high $30's for a regular GT with a bunch of add-ons rather than low $40's for the real thing? We're only talking a $5K diff for the GT500 at $43K vs. the modded out Gt at $38K. To me that doesn't make sense.

I agree that the over MSRP thing is the big killer right now. That's why I'm waiting. I'm #1 on the dealers list for an 08 GT500 (I moved off the 07 list for a guaranteed spot at #1 for an 08). I'll let the ADM come down and I'll still get the real deal. It just takes patience, which I admit sucks, but it makes the most sense.

Having a GT500 is worth a whole lot more to me than a GT, no matter how much stuff is added to it or how fast it can go.

Just another opinion, for whatever it's worth :wacko:

hey doc

a friend just got me a book on tuning etc the 4.6 and 5.4 engine. had a nice piece on the 4.6 3v with a kenne bell that I thought you might enjoy. have attached a scan.

John

05_gt_with_kenne_bell.pdf

Wow! look at that torque curve! thanks for the post, KCMO...

(RUF, no need for big gears there, my friend!)

Just talked to Chris at Whipple. He says they've been daily driving a Mustang GT with 475 rwhp for 4 months with no issues. He also said that Whipple is the only aftermarket company with access to the Ford computer systems. So I feel more comfortable with doing the Whipple now. They work with Ford Racing. :shift:

Just talked to Chris at Whipple. He says they've been daily driving a Mustang GT with 475 rwhp for 4 months with no issues. He also said that Whipple is the only aftermarket company with access to the Ford computer systems. So I feel more comfortable with doing the Whipple now. They work with Ford Racing. :shift:

I suspect that ain't 'zactly so. How about Roush,Saleen, and perhaps even Steeda? And what about Sean Hyland's links with Multimatic, the people who engineered and built the FR500C? Certainly Whipple benefits from that tight link up but if they were the only one, then Ford is gonna torque a lot of customers off. :fan:

I don't know anything about Blueteeth or Homeagain... :baby:

And - I'm very - very close to either:

a) Shooting myself with a large caliber hangun

B) forgetting a Mustang all together

c) Taking a fresh VISA and going to Vegas until it runs out.

d) Becoming Gay

:banghead:

:shift: I think I'm going to have the Hertz gold stripes added when it gets here.

There's a guy in town who does custom vinyl lettering, etc.

I need to look and see if I can buy the Hertz grille somewhere. :shift:

hmm...sounds like with all the mods, you'll be right back at about the same price as your MSRP deal that you are passin' up

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Seems like the only logical choice would be:

1) Get the GT500, or

2) Get a cheap old mustang and dump some money into horsepower

Why on earth would you spend nearly the same on a plain mustang. Either get the GT500, or if you are wanting high HP for less money, get an old mustang and modify it.

I don't know anything about Blueteeth or Homeagain... :baby:

And - I'm very - very close to either:

a) Shooting myself with a large caliber hangun

B) forgetting a Mustang all together

c) Taking a fresh VISA and going to Vegas until it runs out.

d) Becoming Gay

:banghead:

...might I suggest another alt:

e) chilax for six months and see what yonder ships sail at the horizon :shift:

...besides, the gay thing won't work for ya :) and forgetting about mustang is, well, unAmerican! :hysterical:

Very good advice - oh wise one! :hysterical:

My only real passion is cars.

I don't hunt - fish - (though I'd like to) - do drugs - gamble - or have a mistress.

I work full and part-time.

I like to have a cool car.

I did my math - and a blown GT with a few other mods will come in at least $8k less than a Shelby. To me, that's eight - thousand - dollars. And I"ll have 500 hp. And less weight.

I haven't been trying to talk anyone out of one. If you want a Mustang with Shelby lettering - and an overweight engine - and pay for it - so be it. It's your bread. :rockon:

I'm not going to race the car.

I don't care how many suspension "upgrades" SVT or Ford or Shelby factored in.

I don't think the name alone is worth the extra money.

I want a hot rod - and I want the best value.

To me - that's a GT with a blower and few extras.

And - I'll be looking for a $8k extra Shelby on the streets! :shift:

Okay - flame suit is on and activated! :hysterical:

Very good advice - oh wise one! :hysterical:

My only real passion is cars.

I don't hunt - fish - (though I'd like to) - do drugs - gamble - or have a mistress.

I work full and part-time.

I like to have a cool car.

I did my math - and a blown GT with a few other mods will come in at least $8k less than a Shelby. To me, that's eight - thousand - dollars. And I"ll have 500 hp. And less weight.

I haven't been trying to talk anyone out of one. If you want a Mustang with Shelby lettering - and an overweight engine - and pay for it - so be it. It's your bread. :rockon:

I'm not going to race the car.

I don't care how many suspension "upgrades" SVT or Ford or Shelby factored in.

I don't think the name alone is worth the extra money.

I want a hot rod - and I want the best value.

To me - that's a GT with a blower and few extras.

And - I'll be looking for a $8k extra Shelby on the streets! :shift:

Okay - flame suit is on and activated! :hysterical:

Oh, I like your choice, Bryan... I thought from your last post that you were actually second (third?) guessing your decision to go with the GT+mods. Heck, the GT500 is super cool and you do get what you pay for, but I can totally appreciate a 3450lb 450HP GT street sleeper... for $8K less.... it won't stand the same chance at long term appreciation, but why should you worry about that if that's not why you're buying to begin with. A fun car you can afford is better than either having or not having one you can't. I may be in the same camp next year... I was just teasin' ya little.

...and you didn't even pick on the word 'chilax,' coined by our daughter :)

I can't make a Shelby deal happen - comfortably.

But - I'm buying a Mustang.

I've ordered a black GT coupe - 5 spd man - interior upgrade - premium - 3.55 gears (an option for '07 - they're going to 3.31's standard) - and 18" polished rims.

Whipple will have their blower ready July 1st. About $6k for the polished intercooled version. They claim 476 RWHP - with the stock engine. I'll add some lowering springs - ceramic brake pads - and possibly a gear change based on how it performs with the 3.55's.

And I can do all of this for about $8-10k less than a Shelby.

I talked to my local Ford Store's service tech who loves Mustangs. He's eager to get started. :shift:

Good luck with your Shelby deals, you hear?

I'll hang around here just to stir the pot now and then. :happy feet:

Just be careful if you see an all black GT creeping up on you at a light. You never know what's under the hood. :hysterical:

Hey mr whipple i think your decision is a good one i might go the same route as you .I can get a GT for below msrp possibly, X plan The dealer mark ups are ridiculous. The wife is also upset about what the payments would be . I dont suggest you buying a used stang, at least with a brand new car you know nobody has abused the vehicle. Its what its worth to you, you can sort of custom make your car to your liking with the mods. Dont worry about not ever getting a GT500 you dont know what the future holds . Have fun now and good luck keep us updated . :party:

Nope. We didn't have a problem with flooding. :bandance:

But thanks for asking! :happy feet:

to go off-topic for a sec... did you get bad flooding down by you the past week or so? I know Raleigh got hammered..

Ok, I just got a quote from a local dealer for a 2006 GT Premium w/18" wheels, Shaker 500, IUP, wheel locks, and active anti-theft for out the door at $30,316.

No haggling, just wanted to know about what it would cost. I did not price a Whipple but I checked out Kenne Belle and you can get a complete kit for $5700 that will get you around 440RWHP with their tune.

I also priced:

Snow Methanol Injection $500

Exhaust (headers, cat back) $1800

New tires $1000

Custom Computer Tune $750 - will push the HP as high as you want

Misc suspension mods - $2500

New Dwight Yoakam cd to listen to - $15

Stock GT500 at a stoplight - priceless

All adds up to $42,581. Complete. Not bad and that car will hold it's own against almost anything.

Yeah but they can't run it hard, because It seems the stock blocks safe point ends with 450 at the rear, not saying it doesnt work but it's extremely risky.

Hey man, perhaps it's time to back off and take a breather before you make any rash decisions.

Take you wife and daughter and go on a vacation. By the time you return, guess what?

Everything will be much more clear to you as to the right way to go.

Whenever you do things under pressure, it will come back to haunt you. Don't get caught up in all the hub-bub.

Family comes first, as I'm sure you're well aware of. :party::roses:

Archived