TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time for a GT

RUFDRAFT

Hi Y'all.

I had the opportunity to buy a Shelby 500 at MSRP - but some family issues took that off my front burner.

So - I've been doing some alternative research.

I've decided to buy a black/charcoal '07 GT. (local dealer has one ordered)

I'll be adding Ford Racing's Drag Pak - 4.10 gears - and springs - 19" ASA rims (staggered setup) and a Roush blower.

So - I'll have a 420 HP GT for about $8k less than the Shelby. I know it isn't the same car - but I think I'll be happier with something I can better afford - and not be that much slower than the Shelby. :shift:

Does anyone else have the 4.10 gears - or the Roush blower? :happy feet:

Okay - I understand. With 4:10's you may end up having to shift to 5th near the end of the 1/4.

I'm going to be playing at stoplights - maybe a few 1/4 passes.

More of a 1,2,3 game.

I just didn't understand why he said the gears would be "too much" for the blower.

Who knows? I may find myself lined up at a light with one of those Shelby's! :happy feet:

Depends on what you're going to do with the car. If you're just playing on the streets 4.10's are fine. If you're going to the track you may run out gear at the top of 4th with 4.10's

Rufdraft......your all over the map........You were gang busters on a Shelby for a long time......now your getting the GT???.........There was a forum in "GT500 gathering Place" a while back called "shelby gt500 best bang for your buck" and I said the regular Mustang GT was the best bang for your buck because it's similar to the Shelby and you can build it pretty easily and at your discression (to save money). After saying that I was attacked by pretty much everyone on that forum. One could almost buy two GT's for the price of one Shelby with the dealer mark up. I love that GT500 but bang for your buck a Mustang GT is the way to go...........but......by the way your going Rufdraft you'll probably end up with a six cyl.......bet it would still rip if you put a blower on it though...........hmmmmmmmm

mark from CT

2007 GT

Black, Black leather

5 speed manual

18" polished

IUP

Rufdraft......your all over the map........You were gang busters on a Shelby for a long time......now your getting the GT???.

mark from CT

Suffice to say the man has very good reasons and most of us support him fully in his decision. And I assure you that there are more than a few people here who WILL let him get his fix with our toys. Now we would like to support you in yours.

Hi Mark - yep - got some reasons. Not to worry.

Thanks, Jet. We're family.

On to business:

Just came back from my local Ford store. They have a great tech in the service dept who loves to modify Mustangs! He'll install my gears and springs and "whatever else you want to do!" :bandance:

They have an '07 GT Vert on the ground. Apparently, leather int is a $695 option - cloth is standard. Shaker 1000 is $1700.

He has a black coupe inbound - but it's an auto - so we have to order one for me.

I talked to Ford racing this morning and they don't yet have the Whipple in stock. Guy said that Whipple was working on another Mustang "product" - and when they get that finished, they'll get back on the GT blower.

So - I'm pumped. :rockon:

Oh - yeah - the Z has to go. I haven't had any luck selling it. Can't understand it. It's like brand new.

My situation was a little different than yours, the best I could find was 10k over. But I did find a dealer that was willing to "give" it to me at that price.

I am not a collector nor an enthusiast, the car is going to be driven around town in summer and garaged in winters. I'm also not crazy, so I couldn't shell out almost 60 grand for a Mustang.

I placed an order for a Vista Blue Vert GT for 32,107.52 (before tax). Very do-able.

I also found a shop about 80 miles from me that does Kenne Bell supercharger installs for 5 grand (parts and labor). Add a couple suspension upgrades and I have myself a reasonably quick car that's fun for me, but doesn't scare my wife off from driving it.

I've had a Jeep Wrangler and still have my Harley, all "slightly" modified. A bunch of work was done by me, a bunch more done by mechanics. But one thing's for sure, a vehicle is always more fun when you've put the time into researching and choosing the components you add after you take ownership.

The extra 12 grand in your pocket doesn't hurt either. :)

Sounds like you've given this some thought - as have I.

This tech tells me with 4:10's and a blower - I'll need drag radials!

Now - about wifey driving it?....gotta give that one a think! :shift:

$5k for the KB installed sounds great.

Roush want about $5600. for just the kit.

WOuld'nt 4.10's be a little much for the blower?

There's a lot of misconception about choosing gears for Mustangs. The choice of gear has more to do with the tires and overall wheel/tire diameter than how much HP you're producing. I see kids throwing 4.10's in their cars all the time just to light up the tires on the street. If you plan to put drag radials/slicks on then you need a steeper gear like 4.10's to overcome the larger overall wheel/tire diameter. For example, back in the late eighties when the most common wheel diameter was 15 - 16 inches, 3.55 - 3.73 was a good ratio when running the typical wheel/tire set up. As wheels have grown larger (18-20 inches), so has the overall wheel/tire diameter - thus even the factory gear ratio has become more aggressive to compensate. However, the temptation to overdo the gear should be avoided. As wheels have grown in diameter, the tires have become lower in profile and therefore, the sidewalls flex less. What it all boils down to is if you combine larger wheels but use low profile tires and a 4.10 gear you have the makings of lots of tire smoke. However, if the overall wheel/tire diameter is large enough and the sidewalls are flexible enough a 4.10 will work out great.

...ok, that's a lot of words - the bottom line is with the typical street set up 4.10 gears are too much.

Thanks - I appreciate the tutorial!

I've decided to order the 3.53's and then see how they work when the blower is on before ordering gears.

I went from stock 3.50's to 3.91's on my 350Z and the difference was significant. It only has about 325 hp though. My guess is that if 3.31's are on the Shelby - then 3.55's might be fine with 425 or so hp.

I've got a deal of $1200 below MSRP on a GT.

Ford springs are ordered.

These are the rims I'm looking at: (18x8.5 and 18x9.5's)

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId...&Prod2P=199

:bandance:

Guest evilchris

3.55 is not enough gear for an 18" rim. Just "because the Shelby has 3.31's" means nothing. It means Ford needed that gear to up the mileage. I'd put 4.10's on the Shelby. Don't think everything Ford did on that car was ideal, because it was not.

Car manufacturers never put enough gear on a car. 5.0's could be had with 2.73's when they needed 3.73's or lower.

BTW those rims are ugly as hell. The stock 18" polished are way nicer.

I know I got all pumped up about buying a Shelby.

But - reality set in.

Now - I'm like an 18 year-old waiting on this GT!

My first Mustang was a black '85 hatchback GT.

It had a great interior - cloth. Adjustable side bolsters on the seats, and an adjustable piece at the front of the seat - a cool flexible map light - and a Holley 4 bbl! I think it only had 225 hp, but it ripped!

And - the MSRP was about $10k! :cheerleader:

So - what goes around comes around.

I can't wait to put the rims and springs and blower and silver stripes and other stuff on this one!

My daughter asked me what I was buying - I told her a Fusion. She rolled her eyes. Wait till she sees this one! :rockon:

I just got off the phone with Roush and Whipple.

The non-intercooled Whipple put down 405 hp at the wheels - and is $5k. (8 psi)

The intercooled Roush puts out 115 at the crank and is about $5,500. (5 psi)

But - and a big but! - Whipple warranties the blower only for 12 months.

Roush's warranty covers the entire drivetrain.

415 at the crank sounds like a nice boost with the peace of mind of warranty.

:rockon:

FYI - they're running a group buy of Saleen superchargers right now over at mustangforums.com. I'm not sure if they're stated to work with 07's yet, but the price they're running is cheaper than both of the ones you quoted. I know they're not allowed to post the price publicly, and I'm not sure what the rules are here so I'll post it or reply to a private msg if someone gives me the go ahead.

No problem. We seem to be going in the same direction, so I'm keeping an eye on your progress. I have 8 guys ahead of me on a wait list at my dealer, so I don't know when my order is even going in. I got it at $500 over invoice though.

On Wednesday, I went to another dealer and they can place my order next week, guaranteeing I have it in/before Sept. I'll have to argue over price though and I'm not sure I even want to go through that hassle. Regardless of when I get the car, it'll be in the garage from Nov - April anyway so I'm weighing the options right now.

Okay - I can't wait for the car to arrive.

I just ordered headers, springs, and gears from FRP.

And 19" rims and Toyo's from WheelsNext.

At least I can look at the parts on the floor! :bandance:

Hey don't let the parts sit in the Garage take them in and make some furniture out of them. Hell you can have at least two extra chairs out to the rims and tires and make a coffee table with the headers all you need is the table top just take a door from a room. Opps I'm letting my red neck show ain't I. :doh:

Have a good time with your car when it gets in. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Have fun

Bryan lives in NC. His neck couldn't be any redder if he painted it. He probably already has a dining room set made from mismatched cinder blocks and a cornucopia of car parts.

:speedie:

Hey don't let the parts sit in the Garage take them in and make some furniture out of them. Hell you can have at least two extra chairs out to the rims and tires and make a coffee table with the headers all you need is the table top just take a door from a room. Opps I'm letting my red neck show ain't I. :doh:

Have a good time with your car when it gets in. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Have fun

Let me guess you have a sofa on the front porch also! and from another thread here I would bet there is a 357 somewhere near! Also I have not seen any pics with RUF smiling by any chance he got bubba teeth you know missing one or two, bet he wears suspenders too.

Man you gots style!! :roses:

Just all in good fun Ruf :rockon:

Sadly - there are folks 'round here that still have a sofa on the porch.

Not my 'hood, though. I got a summons last month for having weeds in my front lawn.

Here's a pic of me smiling.

Here's one of me, Christine, my nephew Chris (From Rochester MN) and his new bride Sarah in our liv room.

post-4913-1152758845_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1152759041_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1152758845_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1152759041_thumb.jpg

Hey you look like Peppe Le Pew off Loony tunes

Ok now I am have to my back yard to get in the ice box and get a beer! :beerchug: need any while I am up?

It looks like ya got all your teeth but the tarter is starting to build up a little you might want to ask your master to give a brushing and a floss job. I am talking teeth here! well the hair could use a brushing, wish I could say the same thing about my hair. The way I look at it is God made only a few Prefect heads and he put hair on the rest of them. Going to the front porch to sit on my sofa and drink me beer now, and try to fer get the PSDS.

Thanks Ruf I need that

Archived