TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best place to sell/buy used Mustangs?

BadTony

Anyone here on this site selling a vehicle in preporation of getting their new Shelby?

I will be selling my 2003 Cobra convertible (yellow). It's an Arizona car with about 26,000 miles on it and is still under warranty until 36,000 miles or February 14 of 2007. :happy feet:

Here's a subjective question.

Where's the best on-line place to sell/buy used Mustangs?

Opinions? Experiences?

eBay. But beware, Terminator owners are looking for 5-9K more than they're worth for the '03-'04 Cobras. Don't pay more than Kelly's trade in value. If they were smart, they didn't pay much. There was a TON of incentives on them. Many bought hi 30K cars for 27-29K. Also, do your homework on '03s. It's a valvetrain thing...Google it.

:shift:

bj

eBay. But beware, Terminator owners are looking for 5-9K more than they're worth for the '03-'04 Cobras. Don't pay more than Kelly's trade in value. If they were smart, they didn't pay much. There was a TON of incentives on them. Many bought hi 30K cars for 27-29K. Also, do your homework on '03s. It's a valvetrain thing...Google it.

:shift:

bj

If your in a big city, try the local papper, people are less inclined to buy a car long distance for obvious reasons. Locally they can see it, drive it and have a mechanic look at it and develope thier own opinion of the car. I have had good results with the Auto trader but may take a while. I always tell people to have it professionally detailed if it needs it and use positive attributes in your add such as, one owner. adult driven low miles. garage kept, well maintained, never had paint work, never smoked in etc... as long as these items are the truth. Please be truthful, there are enough bone heads out there who are not.

As for buying a car, many new car dealers with close outs for various reasons. can't beat a new one as far as one no body has screwed with it. 5 oh B and Bud ford and I sell Ford on this forum can give advise on the new car thing. As far as used, depends what your looking for. At the auction you can get some great deals but be very careful. Do car fax. green light cars only. use post sale inspection if your buy, and spend time with the car before your buy it, look it over good. generally, the new car stores sell good used cars many times with a warrenty. The prices are higher but if you buy a bad car you will spend it in the long run. Be cautious of individuals off the street or private owners. Some of them will jab you just as quick as many used car dealers. Be cautious of curbstoners (people who are selling a car open title with out a license and are not the registered owner) they are the worst. Best advise, don't get in a hurry.

I will be selling my 2003 Cobra convertible (yellow). It's an Arizona car with about 26,000 miles on it and is still under warranty until 36,000 miles or February 14 of 2007. :happy feet:

Your best deal just might be through the dealer.. here's why: normally the dealer will give full Kelly trade price and then just 'adjust' the asking price on the new car. Except, with the GT500, it's already at MSRP (or way over), so... you'll get a good trade-in price, and no (addtional) 'games' on the new car price AND you'll save all that sales tax, since in most states, the trade-in price comes off the sales price which reduces sales tax by that amount. That could be $1500-2000 right there. Just a thought....

Anyone here on this site selling a vehicle in preporation of getting their new Shelby?

We are debating on getting rid of the 95. It is not running real smooth right now. I think the fuel press reg is out on it at idle. But once we get it running right again I am sure the idea of selling her will go away. Besides I would be asking 1800 firm over KBB private party just for all of the parts I have into the suspension without any labor. But the extra downpayment would be nice to get us over the halfway point on the price tag. We do not want to finance more than 23K or so.

We are debating on getting rid of the 95. It is not running real smooth right now. I think the fuel press reg is out on it at idle. But once we get it running right again I am sure the idea of selling her will go away. Besides I would be asking 1800 firm over KBB private party just for all of the parts I have into the suspension without any labor. But the extra downpayment would be nice to get us over the halfway point on the price tag. We do not want to finance more than 23K or so.

If you trade something in you can save alot on tax provided they were generous on the apprasial of your car, but in most cases the dealer doesn't give you much for your trade or possibly in this case enough to offset the tax difference so you may be better selling out it right especially if you want to recover money for MODS. Many trade in's go directly to auction or to a wholesale dealer at reduced prices. There are many reasons the new car store doesn't want to mess with peoples trad in's, especially a modified performance car. These type of trade in's almost always have mechanicle problems or something that has been butchered. I would hate to see you go to get your Shelby and find out they won't five you much for your car. Good luck.

Here's a subjective question.

Where's the best on-line place to sell/buy used Mustangs?

Opinions? Experiences?

While I dislike the site as a whole, I sold my 98 Cobra in preperation for the Shelby at www.svtperformance.com There was a great deal of interest and it sold at a very fair price to a guy in Chicago who flew down and picked it up. Took about 3 weeks to sell.

Archived