TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2006 Mustang GT manual trans

beachbum

Just picked-up my new Mustang GT and the manual transmission sounds like it has loose marbles flying around inside of it when engine and transmission is cold. I've heard that this transmission has noise issues. Does anyone know if this rattling is considered normal? At a stop the noise stops when the clutch is depressed and the trans is given time to stop turning; otherwise the noise is heard in all gears, but less so at higher speeds due to increased road noise. After engine and transmission warm, the noise changes to a groan or howl at normal cruise conditions. Noise is noticeably less when foot is raised off of accelerator (coast condition). Also back in the mid 80's I was told by a Ford engineer that a 50-50 mixture of ATF fluid and 75W gear oil would extend the life of a manual transmission designed for ATF fluid only. I was told ATF fluid was needed mainly for smooth cold weather shifting; I live in Florida. Anybody have any info on trans fluids or trans noise? I really enjoy driving this car, it's just fun :) . I guess it helps the fun factor being my first car was a 1965 Mustang GT fastback :rolleyes: !!!

UPDATE!!!! After putting on just less than 3000 miles, marble sound is gone and groan or howl is much less now.

• 2 weeks later...

*URGENT*

PLEASE don't ever put gear oil in your transmission.........straight, diluted, or whatever, just don't put that stuff anywhere near it! :o

Back in the day, shady dealers (you know, the buy here, pay here jobbies) would add gear oil and/or sawdust to the tranny. The mixture would quiet and mask the problem until the deal was sealed.

The noise you describe isn't normal for ANY vehicle. I've had my share of broken trannies, and have never experienced a noise like that. It's a brand new car. Take it in for service, and make sure the advisor rides with you, so they can "duplicate" your concern.

Good luck, and nice car!

Archived