TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Detuned Shelbys Delivered To Dealers

FordGeek

I know I saw it somewhere (either in this forum or in one of the many auto mags I subscribe to) that the Shelbys will be arriving to the dealerships in a detuned state. The motivation behind this move is to discourage "hot rodding" by dealer personnel until such time as the true owner takes ownership of the vehicle. My question is, does anyone have a clue what exactly is involved in getting the car back up to spec, and how would one know that the proper procedure has been carried out so that we don't drive off with a dud?

:shrug:

I know I saw it somewhere (either in this forum or in one of the many auto mags I subscribe to) that the Shelbys will be arriving to the dealerships in a detuned state. The motivation behind this move is to discourage "hot rodding" by dealer personnel until such time as the true owner takes ownership of the vehicle. My question is, does anyone have a clue what exactly is involved in getting the car back up to spec, and how would one know that the proper procedure has been carried out so that we don't drive off with a dud?

:shrug:

I heard someone on this forum say that it is what they call a Re-flash.

I heard someone on this forum say that it is what they call a Re-flash.

And it is very simple

Yeah he's right,

The onboard computer that regulates the engines output, timing, etc.

is de-tuned for the reason you mentioned. When the car is recieved by the dealer

they hook it up to their computer and re-flash the onboard programming back to

the original specs, as programmed by SVT. It's quick and easy.

KingCobra.

It can be but the fuel and timing are retared so you don't have to worry about burnouts and such. It may be rev-limited as well. The flash takes about 45 seconds and is done by a machine hooked to ford via satellite so they can track it. You should see it in your oasis report if you ask your service advisor for it.

Roger

Ford did the same thing with some Terminators back in 2003. The story back then was that many cars were showing up with fouled plugs. :shrug:

At some point during the 2003 model year, Ford decided to start shipping Cobras with the supercharger boost disabled. For those unfamiliar with Terminators, there's a boost bypass valve that prevents boost from building up even though the blower is still turning. The valve is controlled by the PCM.

I purchased a new Cobra back in September of '03. During the initial test-drive of my car (it had fewer than 7 miles on the odometer), it made no boost for the first several minutes of the test drive. When I was on my way back to the dealer with the car...BAM...suddenly the boost started working! I thought for sure there was something wrong and almost didn't buy the car. The dealer could provide no explanation...nor could any of the techs on duty.

After looking around on message boards, I found the answer. The boost had been disabled in the tune from the factory. This message was broadcast to all dealers, but most were completely unaware of it...

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES

16459 2003 MUSTANG COBRA SUPERCHARGED

LACK OF POWER AND NO BOOST, LOW MILES

SOME 2003 COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 4.6L SUPERCHARGED ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A LACK OF POWER AND NO BOOST WHEN THE VEHICLE IS INITIALLY DELIVERED TO THE DEALERSHIP. THE VEHICLES AFFECTED WILL HAVE VERY LOW MILES AND THE CONCERN WILL TYPICALLY BE NOTICED DURING THE PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION. IF THE VEHICLE HAS NO BOOST AND LACK OF POWER, CLEAR THE KEEP ALIVE MEMORY AND RETEST. THE ALTERNATIVE CALIBRATION IS USED DURING THE ASSEMBLY PROCESS TO DISABLE BOOST AND PREVENT PLUG FOULING. BY CLEARING THE KEEP ALIVE MEMORY OR DRIVING THE VEHICLE FOR AT LEAST FIVE CONTINUOUS MILES, THE VEHICLE WILL REVERT BACK TO THE BASE CALIBRATION AND BOOST WILL BE ENABLED.

This situation was fairly rare. It took me awhile to find someone else who had the same issue.

It can be but the fuel and timing are retared so you don't have to worry about burnouts and such. It may be rev-limited as well. The flash takes about 45 seconds and is done by a machine hooked to ford via satellite so they can track it. You should see it in your oasis report if you ask your service advisor for it.

Roger

Ok...what is an Oasis report? :wacko:

The Oasis report is the report ford generates anytime there is anything done to the vehicle at a delership. Its a maintence record and does include things done before purchase.

Roger

No, it is not a maintainence record. An OASIS is a warranty history report that lists warranty claims and repairs. Maintainence (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.) are not included in an OASIS.

For example, here's the OASIS for my Mach 1...

OASIS RESULT:

1FAFP42RX3FXXXXXX

06/20/2006

13:41:11

VEHICLE INFORMATION

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION 2003 MUSTANG

BODY STYLE 2 DOOR COUPE GT

ENGINE 4.6L EFI DOHC

TRANSMISSION T3650 5-SPEED MANUAL

AXLE CODE ME

ENGINE CALIBRATION 3ZE2M10A

GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION

WARRANTY START DATE 09/08/2003

BUILD DATE 05/23/2003

SALE MILEAGE 00400

ARN MESSAGES

ATTENTION TECHNICIANS AND SERVICE MANAGERS:

BEFORE REPLACING SEAT BELT RETRACTOR (-611B08/9, 611B68/9-) SEE TSB 05-16-11

BEFORE REPLACING FS-10 A/C COMPRESSOR (19703), PLEASE SEE TSB 06-04-09

WARNING MESSAGES

OUTSTANDING FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS

NO CAMPAIGN MESSAGE(S) FOUND

EXTENDED COVERAGES

NO ESP INFORMATION AVAILABLE

REPAIR HISTORY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/07/2005

DEALER: XXXXX

WARRANTY CLAIM NUMBER: 205621 ODOMETER: 022067M

PART NUMBER PART DESCRIPTION QUANTITY

LABOR OP

CONDITION CODE

CONDITION DESC

F6ZZ 6323394AA DRIVE ASY-PWR LIFT W 001 23943A11 28 OPEN CIRCUIT

000 23943A

22067 VERIFIED COMPLAINT REMOVED DRIVERS DOOR INTERIOR PANEL FOUND 12.6 VOL TS AT WINDOW MOTOR TESTED MOTOR FOUND OPEN CIRCUIT R&R WINDOW RUNS AND TRACK REPLACED WINDOW MOTOR ADJUSTED WINDOW RUNS AND TRACK RETEST ALL OK REINSTALLED DOOR PANEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08/10/2005

DEALER: XXXXX

WARRANTY CLAIM NUMBER: 204232 ODOMETER: 021304M

PART NUMBER PART DESCRIPTION QUANTITY

LABOR OP

CONDITION CODE

CONDITION DESC

3R3Z 7124AD SYNCHRONIZER ASY 001 7003A 42 DOES NOT OPERATE PROPERLY

000 7003A2

000 7003AZJ

21309 TEST DROVE FOUND HARD TO SHIFT COLD REMOVED TRANS INSTALL UP GRADE KIT CHECKED ALL CLEARANCES BUILD UP TRANS INSTALLED TEST DROVE FINE

Click Here for Full Warranty History

END OF OASIS REPORT FOR 1FAFP42RX3FXXXXXX

What are the chances we can get the program to detune the car? Could be useful if you're handing the car over to a valet. A 45 second operation would be priceless in that scenario.

There's a great product potential to make a small flash-loader that plugs into the flash port and, in turn passes that interface right thru. A switch mounted under the dash let's you select between VALET and NORMAL. I think vettes had (have) this at one time and I think it was (is) called VALET MODE.

Could probably make them in reasonably low volume for $30-40 and sell them for considerably more. In fact, I'd like 3 or 4 modes: Stock, Valet, Custom-Prog#1, Custom-Prog#2. I'd pay $200 for that!

A switch mounted under the dash let's you select between VALET and NORMAL. I think vettes had (have) this at one time and I think it was (is) called VALET MODE.

It was the ZR1 Vettes with the Lotus designed, Mercury Marine built 4 cam engine. Controlled by the ignition key via a switch on the console. Took it from 400 to 250 horses.

It was the ZR1 Vettes with the Lotus designed, Mercury Marine built 4 cam engine. Controlled by the ignition key via a switch on the console. Took it from 400 to 250 horses.

Thanks Jetsolver.. that's the one! So glad you are in these forums...

That would be such a nice touch Ford could easily add to their hi-po offerings (not that I'm gonna let anyone drive it without me in the car!) :)

Archived