TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 RUNS LOW 12,S

STSVT

The aug issue of muscle mustangs & fast fords drag tested the GT500 at englishtown new jersey. Experienced mustang drag racer Evan Smith powershifted his way to a best of 12.25 at 117.18 the(60 foot was 2.11). Keep in mind this was testing with a hot car, stock tires, a stock tune, and 3.31 gears. Smith quoted this as an 11 second car with gears he also said, with minor bolt-ons,slicks should be a 10second car. So to all you non believers and you know who you are, there you have it, the numbers dont lie read the mag pgs 76 -84 :rockon:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The aug issue of muscle mustangs & fast fords drag tested the GT500. Experienced mustang drag racer Evan Smith powershifted his way to a 12.25 at 117.18 the(60 foot was 2.11). Keep in mind this was testing with a hot car, stock tires, a stock tune, and 3.31 gears. Smith quoted this as an 11 second car with gears,also with minor bolt-ons,slicks should be a 10second car. So to all you non believers and you know who you are, there you have it, the numbers dont lie read the mag pgs 76 -84 :rockon:

Smith is one of the best shifters out there. I doubt if I would even come close (but it's gonna be fun trying!)

Smith is one of the best shifters out there. I doubt if I would even come close (but it's gonna be fun trying!)

Right on! :hysterical::hysterical: And your gonna find under the right conditions, ie. temperature, track conditions and tune, this beast will get even better numbers... :fan:

I can see 11's relatively easily but I dunno about 10's... that's a long way from 11's I think. You tend to reach a point of diminishing returns on mods after awhile and those last 1/10's are difficult to come by! 11's will torch most other street cars anyway.

just as an aside. Not only is he a great driver but he is a great guy. If you look in the june issue of the 2003 muscle mustangs and fast fords I started the pavement destroying tradition at hooters in orlando when the mach only had a few miles on her. Ever since then he campi and I have had a great time everytime they come for the spring break shoot out. He is definately the burnout king as well. Although after drinking and hanging a full mug of beer and hanging out the window no hands I don't know if I would trust him with my ride lol.... Great guy. I keep in email contact with him every once in a while.

The aug issue of muscle mustangs & fast fords drag tested the GT500. Experienced mustang drag racer Evan Smith powershifted his way to a 12.25 at 117.18 the(60 foot was 2.11). Keep in mind this was testing with a hot car, stock tires, a stock tune, and 3.31 gears. Smith quoted this as an 11 second car with gears,also with minor bolt-ons,slicks should be a 10second car. So to all you non believers and you know who you are, there you have it, the numbers dont lie read the mag pgs 76 -84 :rockon:

I love this car, but you guys are totally dreaming, if you think the GT 500 runs low 12's. You forget a few things: (1) Ford is in the business of selling cars and like all manufacturers they will pump up their mules to run when they are tested by the media (do you really think they aren't tuning these cars and running high octane?!); (2) if you are a mag guy, the better your article, the more info you will get and the better you will do; and (3) this car weighs 3,900 lbs WITHOUT a DRIVER or gas! Let's be real. I am guessing that stock, driven very well, it will run as low as 12.7 or 12.8 on a decent track.

Oh yeah, what track did he run this 12.25.

Finally, the coup de gras, how is he running a slower 60 foot and barely a higher mph in the 1/4 and getting over a 1/2 second quicker. Something isn't right. At 12.25, he should be nearer 125 with a supercharged heavy car.

Look, I love this car and expect to buy one, but those that believe the 12.2 or 12.3 BS have seen year after year mags produce faster times than the production cars will ever run.

Well, Evan Smith took an all-stock 2004 Mustang Mach 1 and ran a 13.13 @ 105+. I bought the DVD for visual proof two years ago. It was a 2004 comparison of the then-new 04 Mustang GT, Mach 1, and Cobra. I have been able to duplicate Evan's ET's with my Mach 1 all-stock, many times over.

Even the 2003 pre-production Mach 1 (back in the summer of 2002) ran 13.34 @ 105+ in Atlanta on factory tires, and 12.97 on drag radials. Ford obviously didn't throw them a ringer then, as that's right in line with what I (and many other Mach 1 owners) have seen. I don't think Evan's 2004 was a ringer either, nor is my car. So, I certainly don't think Ford gave Evan a GT500 ringer either! He's just a Mustang-saavy guy who knows how to race and extract the best out of car.

Power shifting alone can drop two or three tenths. If you have drag raced you will know the difference it makes. I do it on a regular basis. He got a 12.6 with the traction control on which is in line with the other rag times. All of them ran with it on. There is your difference. Sorry dude not a ringer. And they all run premium anyway. Do you honestly think they ran race fuel?

I wonder if we can get Evan to give us a "how to" on launching. I can see myself going through a set of tires experimenting.

And - I'm not all that happy about powershifting - especially with a 6-spd. :shift:

Ok RUF RUF, i will let you ride shotgun when i take my gt500 down the strip maybe you can pick up a few pointers on powershifting. Umm ohh , almost forgot to tell you to wear a diaper because the way i drive im going to scare the :censored: out of you. :shift: (lol)

I can see 11's relatively easily but I dunno about 10's... that's a long way from 11's I think. You tend to reach a point of diminishing returns on mods after awhile and those last 1/10's are difficult to come by! 11's will torch most other street cars anyway.

I agree 10s are hard to reach without a lot of major mods.

When are they do in. I have been checking my mailbox every day to no avail for my copy?

Got mine monday 6/12 in the nyc area

Just thought I would add some good news to the forum

1. I got my VIN number and build date (July 17th)

2. I am a new Ford intern and I was able to score a ride in a GT500 with one of the guys over at SVT...I will tell you now NO ONE will be disappointed by this car

Can somebody scan and post this article? I can't find this anywhere! Thanks. I am with child to read this one....

Very sorry jolly roger dont have a scanner at this time .

2. I am a new Ford intern and I was able to score a ride in a GT500 with one of the guys over at SVT...I will tell you now NO ONE will be disappointed by this car

Very cool, maybe i can buy a pin number from you when ford accepts them for this car :hysterical: good luck with your gt500 when you get it .

I love this car, but you guys are totally dreaming, if you think the GT 500 runs low 12's. You forget a few things: (1) Ford is in the business of selling cars and like all manufacturers they will pump up their mules to run when they are tested by the media (do you really think they aren't tuning these cars and running high octane?!); (2) if you are a mag guy, the better your article, the more info you will get and the better you will do; and (3) this car weighs 3,900 lbs WITHOUT a DRIVER or gas! Let's be real. I am guessing that stock, driven very well, it will run as low as 12.7 or 12.8 on a decent track.

Finally, the coup de gras, how is he running a slower 60 foot and barely a higher mph in the 1/4 and getting over a 1/2 second quicker. Something isn't right. At 12.25, he should be nearer 125 with a supercharged heavy car.

Look, I love this car and expect to buy one, but those that believe the 12.2 or 12.3 BS have seen year after year mags produce faster times than the production cars will ever run.

Dont know if you know it or not but supposedly the supercharged 5.4 is putting out more than 500hp from sources that i have dont have an exact number on it yet.Ford is keeping it under raps for now because of epa laws and fuel mileage estamates. Only the dynos will tell us the truth, hope its true, guess we will have to wait a little longer .

A little help pls. I have a vin, but where can I go to find build status etc?

thanx

First time I read your response, I didn't see the "f" in the word "shifters". :o

Dave

Running higher than necessary octane fuel makes absolutely no difference in power level whatsoever. Octane is simply an indicator of knock resistance. Now, if you are suggesting that they are modifying spark settings, then I will accept your premise that the higher octane fuel may be NECESSARY. Otherwise, not a factor.

Dave (Chemical Engineering background)

First time I read your response, I didn't see the "f" in the word "shifters". :o

Dave

Running higher than necessary octane fuel makes absolutely no difference in power level whatsoever. Octane is simply an indicator of knock resistance. Now, if you are suggesting that they are modifying spark settings, then I will accept your premise that the higher octane fuel may be NECESSARY. Otherwise, not a factor.

Dave (Chemical Engineering background)

I have been told that many cars have a knock sensor in them and it continually advances he timing until it senses a ping. If this is the case in the Shelby then the advanced timing will definately have an effect.

That is incorrect information. They do have knock sensors. My mach has very sensitive sensors and pull timing liberally when temps are just a little higher than nominal (dyno proven). However your computer will learn fuel and timing and map it after 50 drive cycles. Ford has built in max levels and operating levels in the software. This is why you need a tuner or chip to increase timing etc.

Roger

Dont know if you know it or not but supposedly the supercharged 5.4 is putting out more than 500hp from sources that i have dont have an exact number on it yet.Ford is keeping it under raps for now because of epa laws and fuel mileage. Only the dynos will tell us the truth, hope its true, guess we will have to wait a little longer .

I heard the same thing. Fairly reliable source.

Infact my source said that C. Shelby was asked about the HP of the car compared to the GT, Shelby said that its actually very close to the same.

For the Canucks out there. With the new laws coming into place very soon that will make street racing a criminal offence in Canada, stay safe and race it at your local track.

That is incorrect information. They do have knock sensors. My mach has very sensitive sensors and pull timing liberally when temps are just a little higher than nominal (dyno proven). However your computer will learn fuel and timing and map it after 50 drive cycles. Ford has built in max levels and operating levels in the software. This is why you need a tuner or chip to increase timing etc.

Roger

Thanks Roger - Now I got it. Makes perfect sense.

Infact my source said that C. Shelby was asked about the HP of the car compared to the GT, Shelby said that its actually very close to the same.

For the Canucks out there. With the new laws coming into place very soon that will make street racing a criminal offence in Canada, stay safe and race it at your local track.

I'm all for the new laws, in my area it's the a$$ punk kids with their 102 hp civic that think they have a race car and always speed and race. Hope they all end up in the slammer. I'm 41 years old and 45 min away from a race track so why race on the street??? It's not worth it

rbortnick hope our sources are correct, thanks for the info.

Glad to be of service. I am glad I can make a contribution lord knows I get more than I give here thanks to everyone :)

Thanks, for your input and info.

I'm all for the new laws, in my area it's the a$$ punk kids with their 102 hp civic that think they have a race car and always speed and race. Hope they all end up in the slammer. I'm 41 years old and 45 min away from a race track so why race on the street??? It's not worth it

They showed on TV last night what they are going to do with the cars of racers caught. They took a front end loader and cruched this guys honda.

If you've been a follower of MM & FF over the last several years you'd know that none of us are able to get near the et's out of these cars that Evan Smith does. He is the best mustang driver in the world including Force. I got the current Motor Trend a couple days before my MM & FF issue came out and was happy to see 12.7 because I knew that Smith would blow that time away. Ford Motor Company knows that they do not have to give Mr Smith a special car to achieve the best et's possible. By the way the other magizines know this to because Motor Trend took the time to say in their article that their driver was an accomplished drag racer. If you read Hot Rods article on the GT 500 Ford Motor Company kept a short leash on them because in my opinion they are notorious Ford haters plus none of them can drive because there older then me.

I agree 100% I'm30 and see the same thing.But if a c-6 comes beside and he wink's I think I will have toGIVE IN FOR AT LEAST TO NEXT LIGHT :shift: best of luck to all!!

Roger

What do you engineering types think about the possibility of running regular grade fuel in the GT500 in a pinch? Will the sensors adjust the timing and run ok? I know it'll be lower H.p. ,but will it work w/o damaging the engine?

Archived