Gear/Tire Options?

RUFDRAFT

Gear/Tire Option(s)?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. who would use this?

• I'd like at least an optional gearing choice
    • I'd like at least an optional tire/rim choice
    • I'd like both

Back "in the day," buyers had choices for gears and tires.

Ford people read these threads.

This isn't feasible for the '07's - but perhaps if enough of us voice our opinions, they may take notice.

If you could choose from 2 - or 3 - rear gear ratios, would you opt for something other than the 3.31's?

And - if you could opt for a larger rim/tire combo, would you?

It seems to me that at this price, we shouldn't have to replace these parts to get the car to perform as it should. Who needs a ring and pinion and OEM rims/tires taking up garage space? (and the extra cost of replacing parts) :shift:

Edit: Sorry! I'll put this in Gathering Place where it belongs!

Done

This one is a tuff one to decide on before seeing how the car acts and reacts when a real driver gets behind the wheel :hysterical2:

Obviously the lighter rim and tire combo will save weight and rotational power loss. So will a lighter drive shaft, but lets not get sidetracked. Shelby insisted on the 285's. Sometimes you can have light rear end and get alot of tire spin = loss of e.t. So lets see how the car acts off the line without the Traction Control on and some computer resets.

The gear choice. The 3:31 is a great all around gear. With the supercharger maybe a 3:73 at most but you have to see how the engine works.

My first move with the 05 was reworking the computer settings to see what I was actually dealing with.

One thing I really hate on the 05 is the throttle by wire. :rant::rant::rant: (getting side tracked again)

I hate this A.D.D. attention thing!!!!

I am new to the whole Ford thing but I have found out that the guys at Ford like to hide lots of power under the hood in their engines and (hold them back with electronics/ computers / computer programs)

Sneaky little devils.

I remember seeing an interview on the GT500 here and distinctly hearing the gentlman say that 600 hp would be easy and no problem for this engine with a few minor mods.

I am betting that the Shelby is a closet monster that will just about thump alot of cars out there on the street and the strip / race track with some minor mods

!!!! computer reworking!!!! a must must must

1) gearing 3:73

2) drive shaft weight reduction

3) maybe some changes in super charger boost or whipple

4) pullies

5) suspension weight loss and strengthening mods

6) rim weight loss (maybe)

7) some minor weight loss in front end

brakes lighter

brackets and cross members

headers for weight loss and flow

lighter starter / alternator maybe?

accessories and other items that maybe made lighter on the front of the car

Just a few extra thoughts thrown in a thread that I maybe should have put somewhere else but hey Iam lazy tonight and the attention problem always gets the best of me late at night.

This isn't feasible for the '07's - but perhaps if enough of us voice our opinions, they may take notice.

If you could choose from 2 - or 3 - rear gear ratios, would you opt for something other than the 3.31's?

It seems to me that at this price, we shouldn't have to replace these parts to get the car to perform as it should. Who needs a ring and pinion and OEM rims/tires taking up garage space? (and the extra cost of replacing parts) :shift:

I think this all depends on how/where you plan to drive it. For me, I think the 3.31 are great all-around touring ratio -- hits 157 in 4th? ;-) ...and you have two overdrive gears for mpg and low-noise cruising

For long road tracks 3.55s might be better -- all depends on what the engine 'likes' and can't know that yet. But I suspect this strong torquer and long-stroker won't want much larger gears on a road course.

For the drags (depending on the loaded wheel radius) 3.73s might be best -- probably not more; no point in wasting more gear changes with such a broad torquey power band, no point adding too much up shift time.

In the 1/8th mi, maybe 4.10s ;-)

OK, let's face it -- you'll have no idea until you can 'feel' the engine and also decide for what applicsation you want to tailor it.

Me? I'll keep the 3.31s or go for 3.55s, for all-day cruising in the desert southwest at 100++ and loping along at 75 on the patroled interstates. Mine won't see a drag strip on a regular basis, but would see some SVToA road-course events and a lot of black-top twisties most everywhere I go ;-)

In the old days with peaky carb engines (and all ricer screamers) you want to use all the gears ans have them closely spaced to stay in the peak of the power band. But I suspect this motor will have a very broad flat band and, aside from launching for the drags, really big gears would be overkill.

I think this all depends on how/where you plan to drive it. For me, I think the 3.31 are great all-around touring ratio -- hits 157 in 4th? ;-) ...and you have two overdrive gears for mpg and low-noise cruising

For long road tracks 3.55s might be better -- all depends on what the engine 'likes' and can't know that yet. But I suspect this strong torquer and long-stroker won't want much larger gears on a road course.

For the drags (depending on the loaded wheel radius) 3.73s might be best -- probably not more; no point in wasting more gear changes with such a broad torquey power band, no point adding too much up shift time.

In the 1/8th mi, maybe 4.10s ;-)

OK, let's face it -- you'll have no idea until you can 'feel' the engine and also decide for what applicsation you want to tailor it.

Me? I'll keep the 3.31s or go for 3.55s, for all-day cruising in the desert southwest at 100++ and loping along at 75 on the patroled interstates. Mine won't see a drag strip on a regular basis, but would see some SVToA road-course events and a lot of black-top twisties most everywhere I go ;-)

In the old days with peaky carb engines (and all ricer screamers) you want to use all the gears ans have them closely spaced to stay in the peak of the power band. But I suspect this motor will have a very broad flat band and, aside from launching for the drags, really big gears would be overkill.

I agree with the overkill. This motor will be having a lot of torque. Hey, it has more torque than my 1969 Mach 1 7 liter Cobrajet? Ok, peak torque will be at a higher RPM, but 3.73s will be max IMO.

I think Orangesnake just described a perfect 2008 GT500KR (aw heck why not throw in an aluminum block for giggles)

I believe for traction reasons gear swaps might be dangerous on this car at the track (stock tires).

Everyone I know with pully swapped 03-04 Cobra's have big problems hookin up on street tires. Cant imagine this car modded (ooooh scary). I guess time will tell when we here real local track times (and how it hooks up stock) and then we can really start tinkering.

Okay My Turn & I not asking for alot.

1. Aluminum block

2. 3:55 gears

3. rear functional scoops to help cool the rear brakes.

Shelby 001

Okay My Turn & I not asking for alot.

1. Aluminum block

2. 3:55 gears

3. rear functional scoops to help cool the rear brakes.

Shelby 001

Rear brakes only do about 10-15% of the braking...don't think cooling is necessary. I like the gear idea, but would need something to help traction FIRST before that was necessary. Aluminum block...well...depends on the cost vs. the weight you'd remove. :shift:

Rear brakes only do about 10-15% of the braking...don't think cooling is necessary. I like the gear idea, but would need something to help traction FIRST before that was necessary. Aluminum block...well...depends on the cost vs. the weight you'd remove. :shift:

Rear brake do indeed a fractional part of the braking compared to front, but get awfully hot too as they are thinner then the front ones. I have experienced this on track. Cooling rear brakes is not a luxury.

Archived