TEAM SHELBY FORUM

We Lost One

RUFDRAFT

Got a buddy in Raleigh who planned on buying a Shelby. He had a deposit at a stealership.

We've been talking about the recent articles on the Shelby's performance, weight, etc.

He decided to buy a C6 instead.

His logic is: about $3k less (based on current Vette discounts for a base C6 - 6spd coupe - Kerbeck.com) - fairly similar straight line performance numbers (depends on what article) - better overall handling - significant better MPG - and the very intangible "recognition" value (are the Vette and the Shelby going to be given the same "respect" on the streets?)

The latest article in Autoweek put him over the edge. They didn't slam the Shelby - but they did say something to the effect that they "weren't sure" about it's performance value.

I know we have many diehard Mustang folks here - who will pay whatever it takes to own a 500.

I've been struggling with this issue for over a month now.

How much of my "logic" (which really doesn't apply to a car like this) is emotiona and how much of it is practical?

Which car - overall - is the better performance value?

My flame suit has been activated!

I'm trying to remove emotion from my decision here and use more logic. :shift:

I know it's 2 seats vs 4 - but let's remove that from this discussion. If you're looking for the most Overall performance/recognition bang for your sweaty bucks - which one comes out on top?

Andl, please, none of the Shelby heritage stuff. It's a Mustang/SVT/Cobra/Shelby - which bothers Autoweek, too. :shift:

Oh - by the way, bj - I'm not a "dude," :baby:

Got a buddy in Raleigh who planned on buying a Shelby. He had a deposit at a stealership.

We've been talking about the recent articles on the Shelby's performance, weight, etc.

His logic is: about $3k less (based on current Vette discounts for a base C6 - 6spd coupe - Kerbeck.com) - fairly similar straight line performance numbers (depends on what article) - better overall handling - significant better MPG - and the very intangible "recognition" value (are the Vette and the Shelby going to be given the same "respect" on the streets?)

The latest article in Autoweek put him over the edge. They didn't slam the Shelby - but they did say something to the effect that they "weren't sure" about it's performance value.

I know we have many diehard Mustang folks here - who will pay whatever it takes to own a 500.

How much of my "logic" (which really doesn't apply to a car like this) is emotiona and how much of it is practical?

I know it's 2 seats vs 4 - but let's remove that from this discussion. If you're looking for the most Overall performance/recognition bang for your sweaty bucks - which one comes out on top?

Andl, please, none of the Shelby heritage stuff. It's a Mustang/SVT/Cobra/Shelby - which bothers Autoweek, too. :shift:

I've owned corvettes and Mustangs over the last 30 yrs. Both cars are cool and have large followings. But,u

really can't remove the 4 seat VS the 2 seat. That's a huge difference. Even if you don't carry 4 people,the extra space makes the car practical to use for daily chores if nescessary. The C6 is a fine car,more refined than any previous models, but i'm sticking with the GT500..Plus,with a few minor mods,the GT500 will be close to Z06 fast..Read the new fast fords and mustangs article on the Shelby..

Depends on your purpose. The GT500 is gonna get pretty lousy mileage. So as a highway car -Vette. The GT500 is by far the easier car to get more out of, Almost anything for a S-197 stang is going to work and it's obvious to me that there is a lot left in the car. Resale goes to the GT500. SVT cars have had pretty good resale against the market. If your going to autoX every weekend its got to be the vette. The GT500 could probably do it with mods but do you feel like chewing through tires and brakes in a 2 tonne car?Cool factor? The way that Ford is marketing the GT500 I have to believe that its somewhat limited avail will make it the car that makes folks come over to ask about. And last of all, both interiors suck. Get in any new Audi and wonder out loud where the domestics market share went. At least the Ford will be easier for my damaged body to get into. Now do what I do and look at the inside of your forearm. Is it a familiar shade of blue in your veins? Thought so. Me too!!!

Good points - tough decision.

GM reliabiltiy - not good. But - a lot of folks praise the C6. It's not "your daddy's" Vette.

I had a buddy in CT who did a frame-off on a '65 327. And - he let me drive it - alone. I never told him, but it sucked. Steering - braking - seats - shifting - etc.

But - it was a 1965 Vette!

Interiors - yep. I know. Wifey has an '05 Volvo. Light years ahead of domestic stuff.

Don't know - resale on the Shelby has yet to be determined.

I just spent some time on Carmax - and the Vettes seem to be holding pretty well.

Whew! :bandance:

It's getting late - so I'm getting Deep!

It just struck me that perhaps some of the potential buyers of the Shelby might be those who, for years (like me), haven't been able to buy a car capable of meeting or exceeding the performance of a Vette.

Enter the Shelby.

Here's a Mustang - finally - that might just give the Bow Tie a run for it's money - but... it costs more! (based on current MSRP discounts at major Chevy Stores)

Will the Mustang faithful care? Nope.

Cause now some have the funds to - once and for all - show the Vette guys and gals - tailights (perhaps).

Ford hasn't had a toe-to-toe competitor for the Vette since the late '50s. (can't count the GT at 3 times the price of a base C6)

Camaro's have split the scene for the moment.

Can some of this Shelby-Fever be attributed to Closet Vette Syndrome? (CVS?!)

Sorry.

When it gets late - I think too much.

:shift:

I'd say it is more emotional than anything else. Which is what really matters. You buy a car like this to be proud of it, not to worry about a 0.1 or 0.2 second difference to whatever speed or distance you are trying to achieve. Those issues are for bench racing and bragging rights. If you wanted to be serious about racing (drag or track) you would buy something and build it to the specs you need for your type of racing. This car is a boulevard cruiser that happens to do a pretty good job at either track. If you want a race car, strip down a Mustang GT and build it up with racing suspension and power adders.

Dude,

You think WAAAY too much. The next thing you'll be judging is where you can hide your guns in the Vette vs the Shelby...and which one has the bigger sun visors so you can put up pictures of other guy's wives and girlfriends.

With all due respect to your family, you just recently wrote what I thought was a genuine and heartfelt post about your first priority in life....your partner. I will admit, your posting a desire to make a profit on your car was not the smartest thing to do on here, but you seem to write/speak more from the heart than the head, so I just let it slide.

Fast forward to today; you're selling your Z, no doubt to be able to buy the Shelby, in spite of your family issues. Now, your putzing around trying to justify the Shelby vs the Vette.

What is the REAL issue here? If you wanted the Shelby soooo badly that you re-thought your original "family" post and sold your Nissan, why is there even a question as to whether or not it's Shelby vs Vette?

I don't get it....it's not mine TO get. But, you're going to have to invest in Nomex underwear if you keep psoting every thought that passes through your noggin. Again, I respectfully submit that you MAY want to have these conversations with those you care about rather than the entire world. We all seem to like you, but you're beginning to creep me out a little.

Think about my first paragraph, then go watch DeNiro in Taxi Driver.

:headscratch:

bj

It's getting late - so I'm getting Deep!

It just struck me that perhaps some of the potential buyers of the Shelby might be those who, for years (like me), haven't been able to buy a car capable of meeting or exceeding the performance of a Vette.

Enter the Shelby.

Here's a Mustang - finally - that might just give the Bow Tie a run for it's money - but... it costs more! (based on current MSRP discounts at major Chevy Stores)

Will the Mustang faithful care? Nope.

Cause now some have the funds to - once and for all - show the Vette guys and gals - tailights (perhaps).

Ford hasn't had a toe-to-toe competitor for the Vette since the late '50s. (can't count the GT at 3 times the price of a base C6)

Camaro's have split the scene for the moment.

Can some of this Shelby-Fever be attributed to Closet Vette Syndrome? (CVS?!)

Sorry.

When it gets late - I think too much.

:shift:

RUFDRAFT

your starting to sound like a professor, now!... Deep thoughts... let me take a stab!

I think both cars are american icons and i would not fault a friend for getting either.

Emotion plays a big role. The car you see in my avatar was given to me by my father. i remember riding around in the back of that monster when i was a boy thinking my dad was the "King of the Road".... and he was! He never really had to "punch it" that often, but when he did, he squished the comp! (vettes and all!) I was raised in a blue-collar home, and we never had excess money... but for a reasonable price and a few hours in the garage, my dad had a machine that demanded respect. In fact, he drove me home from the hospital (when i was born) in that car.

Now to today. For years, the mustang has been respectable, but not on the level of performance of those in the past (speaking relitively, of course). Now many of us have a chance to get a muscular, stylish, "mean SOB" of a car at a reasonable price (especially you getting yours at MSRP). Nothing like the feeling in a mean @$$ mustang cruising the streets. And although my current profession is not necessarily "blue collar" (even though I work hard... 60+ hours/week on average, 110+ at times).... I was raised in a "blue collar" family and I feel that this car gives the "blue collar man" some respect on the streets. There is something to be said for that.

In addition, I have 3 young children and I want to someday pass on to them... and maybe pass the tradition along.

If we were all computers, simply crunching out a number representing cost per unit horsepower, or cost per second perfomrance on the quarter mile, we would all come to a "sterile" conclusion about which to buy... and the whole process would not be alot of fun. Emotional response/mindset have EVERYTHING to do with who will purchase these cars. May be hard to understand for those who don't/haven't owned mustangs in the past.

I may consider getting a Vette someday... I think the look/performace are admirable. but not until I have this shelby under my roof.... and the pony will always be my "favorite son" when it comes to cars.

there's my $.02

(hope my grammar was OK) :D

The C5 Vette was a big improvement over past Vettes - especially the 2000 and later C5s. The C6 is that much better again over the C5. The Z51 handling package is well worth the price as it gives .1-.15 second reduction in ET and the cornering is improved - especially in off-handed turns. The standard suspension's adjustable settings don't seem to do much at all. I have not driven a C6 Z06, so I can't compare it and sure wouldn't compare it to a GT500.

The GT500 is a completely different animal. It really doesn't have a direct competitor. Comparing the GT500 to SRT8 Chargers and GTOs is closer than comparing it to the Vette. If you want what a Vette offers, you are going to compare the two, but if you want handling, get the Vette. If you want something a bit larger and offers the heart of American muscle car performance, the GT500 is the new standard.

My opinion is that the GT500 is meaner looking and bring back memories of past cars I have owned - as a result, it more closely matches what I want to drive. I am into turning wrenches and modifying cars, so there is no comparison to the Vette. I am greatly impressed with the C6, but I leave the Vettes to my brother. The GT500 is more my style.

Having owned prior vettes I would take 1 shelby over 2 vettes. NO kidding. To each his own,, I have no desire to own a vette. This will be my FIRST new Mustang which in the past has been much more reliable than the vette. The RESALE? the Shelby

If you are having doubts about buying the Shelby I am sure there are more people interested in taking it off your hands than there would be vette people to take the vette off your hands.

its going to take the Z oh 6 to beat the Shelby on the street. Did you just see the 12.25 @ 117.18 for the Shelby? Its a pretty heavy car to run a 3:31 gear.

If anyone believes Natalie Neff who wrote the Shelby article in Auto Week she thought the Yugo was one of best cars ever. Knows absolutely nothing about suspensions but continually cuts downt the solid axle. Says its only because Ford cheaped out and has nothing to do with how it holds up. On her article for the Ford GT she said it was pretty much same engine ast 5.4 Truck with just a FEW changes.

She also thought the Shelby was slow. Sure if you are afraid to step on the throttle maybe. again CLUELESS

Rufdraft, are you sure you are not Natalie Neff in disguise? (joke)

TTB I certainly agree with your assessment of Natalie Neff; I'll probably renew my subscription with Autoweek (for the 30th year in a row) but I'm pretty disgusted with the article you refer to.

Rufdraft, I grew up in a town (Casper, WY) where there wasn't much to do and cars filled the void. Unfortunately it was a Chevy town--3 Chevys and 2 Mopar for every Ford it seemed. Nothing creates passion like being the underdog. The day I buy a vette with be the day I vote republican and root for the Oakland Raiders, you know--when hell freezes over.

SOUNDS Like PSDS....Colds showers....seem to work... :party:

Either way...its your call....but I do beleive in putting your passion up front and well the vette is just that a vette...now the Shelby thats a Mucsle car.

Its not like you'd lose any friends if you bought either car why the distress...buy the one that floats your boat....now if I could just get the damn color thing out of the way!

Cheers,

Requis

Rufdraft,

Snap out of it ! You helped me when I was suffering PSDS.

To help you out of this go to a vintage Trans-Am race or a SAAC event. You will see a group of people devoted to Carroll Shelby and his machines. They are showing them and taking them out on the track. Go to Las Vegas and visit Shelby Automotives. They have the Shelby museum and they still produce the Cobras. Finally try to meet Carrroll Shelby. If that doesn't work then it just ain't in you. Remember this, This the first Mustang that Shelby has had anything to do with since 1969-70. When you take delivery of an 07 Shelby you will own a piece of automotive history, and that my friend is something to be proud of. Try and get all of that from a Corvette. I am an old fart and I have owned them all, and nothing get my old juices going better than a Shelby. The only way I would not get the 07 Shelby, is to get my 1st wish, a 65 GT350R. I hope this changes your thoughts a little. Good luck and DRIVE ON !

Thanks, y'all.

I know most of you understand me.

And most of you respect how I enjoy using these boards to "think out loud."

And most of you know I'm an enthusiast.

BJ - I respect your right to your opinion. However - no one's forcing you to read any of my posts/threads. Don't like what I'm saying? Move on.

Try starting your own threads. That's what makes a site like this interesting. Members who provide food for thought - not just find fault with those who do.

There has alway been something in my driveway that rocks - there always will be. :shift:

This is the exact reason it's logical to compare the C6 to the GT500 (...some have said it's illogical because they are sooooo different in so many ways and the "real rivalry" is between the Mustang and the Camaro--so a Mustang v. Corvette challenge doesn't make sense).

But the two vehicles are the same where it counts: they're competing for very similar discretionary consumer dollars. Forget four seats v. two; forget the hp difference; forget the weight difference; forgot historical rivalry. None of that matters. At the end of the day, many folks willing to pony up for a GT500 will also seriously consider a C6. And vice versa. For whatever reason...and you may agree or disagree with the reason(s). Competition for the consumer dollar is the only thing that counts because that's what gets these cars built.

And thank goodness. Competition is what brought about the GT500. And for Vette enthusiasts, it is competition that has made the C6 so good. So, even though some argue that the two don't compete...well, the fact is that they are very competitve with each other.

I personally have no desire for a Vette. I'll take the GT500. The fact that it's a fatter, may be a little slower, may not handle as well, etc., doesn't matter to me.

I also think these decisions are 100% emotional. So, Rufdraft, I'd suggest you get the one that makes you FEEL the best. Don't think about it too much. You know which one makes you feel better...

That's great new's one more SHELBY GT500 IS AVALELIBLE :shift::hysterical:

That's great new's one more SHELBY GT500 IS AVALELIBLE THAT DESERVE'S IT:shift: :hysterical:THIS POST ONLY APPLIES IN U.S.A IN [CANADA] SHELBY IS ALOT CHEAPER THAN C-6 SO IN CANADA THE SHELBY GT500 IS THE WAY TO GO!! :shift:

My take on it Brian.

If you want Sexy, Curves and Fast buy a Vette.

If you want Macho, Muscles and Fast buy a Shelby.

GM dependability/reliability has wavered a lot as of late.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!!!!

I would not want to own or drive a Vette, even if they can outperform the mustang. They are a girly sports car. The GT500 is all TESTOSTERONE!!

Wow! The vette is taking a beating here. I am offended. It is and always has been an awesome car in both looks and performance (ok except for 74 to 83 where they were ugly and arguably my C4 as well on the looks front). I own a 93 ruby red 40th anniversary convertible of which I just took out to home depot today. I went around a couple of corners as fast as possible and the thing stuck to the road like glue - and it is pretty fast at 0 to 60 at 5.7 seconds. I actually can not imagine the performance of a C5 or C6 - must just be awesome. I have not had the chance to drive one yet. The later C4's were pretty damn good all around performers compared to anything (convertible) at the time.

As far as reliability who knows. Sure my lumbar support went and so did my cd player - the rest of the car has been great. All I know is that compared to the 06 Mustang GT vert I drove, my 93 Vette was so much better it was not funny. I apreciate that the two cars are at different price points, but I expected the GT - because it was newer, to match the vettes performance. I guess the standard GT is built for the average driver.

The GT500 will obviously be much better than the mustang GT, but you still can not compare it to the new vettes. IMHO the vette and mustang are in totally different categories. One is an all out muscle car and the other is all about refinement. Hey, I also love the GT500 and am on a waiting list to buy one - just thought I had to defend the Vette. Bottom line: Vette will always be a better all around performer but the Mustang is a better true muscle car in keeping with muscle cars of the past. I love them both.

Wow! The vette is taking a beating here. I am offended. It is and always has been an awesome car in both looks and performance (ok except for 74 to 83 where they were ugly and arguably my C4 as well on the looks front). I own a 93 ruby red 40th anniversary convertible of which I just took out to home depot today. I went around a couple of corners as fast as possible and the thing stuck to the road like glue - and it is pretty fast at 0 to 60 at 5.7 seconds. I actually can not imagine the performance of a C5 or C6 - must just be awesome. I have not had the chance to drive one yet. The later C4's were pretty damn good all around performers compared to anything (convertible) at the time.

As far as reliability who knows. Sure my lumbar support went and so did my cd player - the rest of the car has been great. All I know is that compared to the 06 Mustang GT vert I drove, my 93 Vette was so much better it was not funny. I apreciate that the two cars are at different price points, but I expected the GT - because it was newer, to match the vettes performance. I guess the standard GT is built for the average driver.

The GT500 will obviously be much better than the mustang GT, but you still can not compare it to the new vettes. IMHO the vette and mustang are in totally different categories. One is an all out muscle car and the other is all about refinement. Hey, I also love the GT500 and am on a waiting list to buy one - just thought I had to defend the Vette. Bottom line: Vette will always be a better all around performer but the Mustang is a better true muscle car in keeping with muscle cars of the past. I love them both.

agree

First off, no one can realistically slam the Vette - it's an Icon - and everyone knows it.

Now - I just thought of something else that I haven't yet read about on these boards - actual driving experience.

Seems like a lot of folks here are going to plunk down some big numbers for a car they haven't even driven. I find that curious.

Me? I think I'm going to go test drive a C6 - and form my own opinions on fit/finish/tranny/etc.

Now - I may or may not wait to test drive a GT500.

I have never bought a car without driving it.

When I bought my '03 Mach - I told the guy in Richmond that I'd need to take it out for at least 15-20 minutes before the deal was done.

Two years ago, I was looking at a Vette at our small Chevy store. I asked the salesguy if we could take it out. He said no. I told him I wasn't going any further. And left.

Since all the articles on the GT500 vary greatly on how the car performs, I think it's even more important to drive it first.

Okay - I'm ready - let me have it. :bandance:

First off, no one can realistically slam the Vette - it's an Icon - and everyone knows it.

Now - I just thought of something else that I haven't yet read about on these boards - actual driving experience.

Seems like a lot of folks here are going to plunk down some big numbers for a car they haven't even driven. I find that curious.

Me? I think I'm going to go test drive a C6 - and form my own opinions on fit/finish/tranny/etc.

When I bought my '03 Mach - I told the guy in Richmond that I'd need to take it out for at least 15-20 minutes before the deal was done.

Two years ago, I was looking at a Vette at our small Chevy store. I asked the salesguy if we could take it out. He said no. I told him I wasn't going any further. And left.

Since all the articles on the GT500 vary greatly on how the car performs, I think it's even more important to drive it first.

I love the way the C6 looks. One problem for me - that sucker sure is low. Don't know if my left hip will let me get out once I've plopped down. :) Of course, I don't know if my left hip will let me work the clutch in the Shelby. Might have to go under the knife just to get a cool car.

I have driven the C6 recently for the very purpose of comparing it and seeing if it is an alternative to the GT500. It was a Z51, 6 spd. It was fast. Not refined.

The ride was rough (not overly), the interior is very plastic and the shifter vibrated like the tranny was loose. I was more impressed with the refinement of the Mustang GT as far as ride comfort and road manners go. The only C4 Vette I drove was an absolute piece of Crap. It was an '89 coupe, Auto tranny. That thing was a serious rattle trap. The roof had obviously been leaking. I was very disappointed.

I agree but, your not in a Corvette thread. Someone said it best. Its about being the undergog. Taking a Mustang of any kind and waxing a Corvette is sweet. Not that it doent happen the other way, thats the expected result. I have good friends that own vettes and the one thing they will say is the vette crowd is generally a different crowd. They tend to have more money (the 500 may change this) and can be a little snobby. Even to guys with older vettes. Now dont take that as "all vette owners are that way. I have raced with them and some will give you the shirt off thier back. I hope GT 500 owners will not look down on other Mustangs. THe Corvette is an American Icon, so is the Mustang

I agree but, your not in a Corvette thread. Someone said it best. Its about being the undergog. Taking a Mustang of any kind and waxing a Corvette is sweet. Not that it doent happen the other way, thats the expected result. I have good friends that own vettes and the one thing they will say is the vette crowd is generally a different crowd. They tend to have more money (the 500 may change this) and can be a little snobby. Even to guys with older vettes. Now dont take that as "all vette owners are that way. I have raced with them and some will give you the shirt off thier back. I hope GT 500 owners will not look down on other Mustangs. THe Corvette is an American Icon, so is the Mustang

+1 :beerchug:

My purpose in buying a car is not to "wax" anyone.

Around these parts, there aren't many stop light challenge possibilities.

I had the '03 Mach for a little over a year - and never raced anyone.

So - I buy a car I like to drive - solo.

My 350Z is a great handling car. With the springs - and brakes - and rear gears - it will lose a lot of folks in the twisties.

I just miss the V8.

So - whatever I buy - I buy for me. Cause there's always someone faster than you are!

I know this isn't a Corvette thread, by the way.

It's a performance car thread.

I like 'em all! :happy feet:

Archived